Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Change the name back to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha y/n?

Don't be impertinent, and show some respect when speaking of Royalty.

Remember, One could have you executed like THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh! That's my name, too!

Speaking of, when did you stop being bringmyfishback???

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

sweeperbravo posted:

Speaking of, when did you stop being bringmyfishback???

I got a spam email from someone named Fleta Mcgurn and posted it in the (sadly under-trafficked) PYF Spam thread and was like "Hahaha, mods, change my name to this" AND THEY DID IT :aaa: I was so surprised! I laughed for like twenty minutes; I loved it.

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Change the name back to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha y/n?

NEIN. DON'T LET ANYONE KNOW ABOUT ZE GERMAN BLOODLINENSHLUGENFLARBEN

Actually, I was thinking of "Aethelthread the Unready" (get it). I'm writing an intro post, but it's taking me a long time. If someone else wants to start it, I'm cool with that. DIBS ON ALL TUDOR AND TUDOR-ADJACENTS UNTIL AFTER JAMES VI/I.

E: Oh, except for Charles II's mistresses. They are a fun group of ladies. And I want to see how many Forever Amber references I can shoehorn in, cuz that book is ridiiiiiculous.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Trump has named RNC chairman Reince Priebus as his chief of staff.

Reince fuckin' Priebus.

How the gently caress do you even pronounce that? 'REEN-ss'? 'RAYNz'? 'Rinse'?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Astrofig posted:

from what i've heard it's like "ranch" but with an 'e' instead. "rance."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Astrofig posted:

"Piece of poo poo loving douche rear end in a top hat," probably. Based on context.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Mahogany Lox

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
i always read it as rynse like rhymes with pints but not as soothing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I saw a great name in the credits for a Westworld episode the other day: Ptolemy Slocum. I unironically love this.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Years back I briefly worked with a woman named Milady, pronounced exactly as you think. loving drove me crazy to have to use her name and this was before m'lady was a meme.

Luckily she got fired pretty fast. Her attitude really fit her name.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I saw a great name in the credits for a Westworld episode the other day: Ptolemy Slocum. I unironically love this.

Ha, I noticed that one after the most recent episode, as well!

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I got a spam email from someone named Fleta Mcgurn and posted it in the (sadly under-trafficked) PYF Spam thread and was like "Hahaha, mods, change my name to this" AND THEY DID IT :aaa: I was so surprised! I laughed for like twenty minutes; I loved it.

BTW I love your new name, forums poster formerly known as bring my fish back. I basically think you are Liz Lemon, and Fleta Mcgurn sounds like a fake name she would make up

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
"Obama O'Willy".

That's a new one.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Thin Privilege posted:

"Obama O'Willy".

That's a new one.

Amazing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

genetic_knockout posted:

BTW I love your new name, forums poster formerly known as bring my fish back. I basically think you are Liz Lemon, and Fleta Mcgurn sounds like a fake name she would make up

Thank you! FAU is a very nice mod. :3: And you reminded me that someone should really have the username Rufus T. Barleysheath.

Thin Privilege posted:

"Obama O'Willy".

That's a new one.

Obama's willy, you say? :getin:

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

He was #1!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

King Possum III posted:

When Prince Charles was born, Philip complained that he was the only man in the UK who couldn't give his children his name. Eventually, a consolation of sorts was arranged to soothe his feelings of irrelevance.

The name of the royal dynasty is still The House of Windsor, but it was declared that any descendants of Philip and the Queen who needed a last name would use the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. This looks good, but their sons all have titles of their own that are used as a last name, like Wales, York, and Wessex. Prince William can use his dukedom for a last name (Cambridge) and Prince Harry still uses his father's name (Wales) because he won't be given his dukedom (Sussex) until he marries.

When Princess Anne, their only daughter, signed the registry at her first wedding, she wrote "Anne Mountbatten-Windsor," but this is the only time I know of when this surname was used by anyone.

From last page, but Mountbatten-Windsor was used by William when he and Kate sued in France about those topless pics of Kate.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

meiram posted:

From last page, but Mountbatten-Windsor was used by William when he and Kate sued in France about those topless pics of Kate.

I hadn't heard about that, and I appreciate you sharing it. During their military careers, both William and Harry have used "Wales" as a surname, and as far as I know William still does.

While chatting with a young woman during a public walkabout last year, Kate was heard to say, "Yes, I'm Mrs. Cambridge." She and William have several surnames they can choose from if they ever need one. They could use Windsor, Mountbatten-Windsor, Wales, or Cambridge. While in Scotland, they're known as the Earl and Countess of Strathearn, so that's another possibility.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

If anyone else lived off the state (while descended from foreigners, no less) and went swanning round with a network of aliases, the Daily Mail would be campaigning for them to be tarred and feathered.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Danyail and Jurnee :psyduck:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

If anyone else lived off the state (while descended from foreigners, no less) and went swanning round with a network of aliases, the Daily Mail would be campaigning for them to be tarred and feathered.

The royal family do not "live off the state;" they either have real jobs, or they perform more public duties than many people seem to think.

Most Americans have a picture of the Windsors eating their meals off solid gold plates and cutlery, swilling expensive champagne, and surrounded by servants who gratify every whim. That hasn't been true for hundreds of years, when the excesses of the Hanover kings fit that description.

The activities of senior members of the royal family are documented in the Court Circular of the London Times. Prince Philip alone racked up over 350 public engagements last year, despite the fact that he's 95 years old. Princess Anne, the Prince of Wales, and HM The Queen aren't far behind.

Show some respect, lads. Remember, one could have you executed like THAT.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I know the younger Princes served in the military for a while, but do the rest of the royal family have jobs too? I'm trying to picture what it must be like to have to interview the monarch of your country; if you decline to hire them is that technically treason?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Astrofig posted:

I know the younger Princes served in the military for a while, but do the rest of the royal family have jobs too? I'm trying to picture what it must be like to have to interview the monarch of your country; if you decline to hire them is that technically treason?

Almost all the men in the royal family have done military service; Prince Charles has served in all three branches if his country's armed forces. The more distant relations like aunts, uncles, and cousins have jobs in the public sector and don't draw much attention from the media.

There could never be a situation of interviewing the monarch. One inherits the throne, and it's a job for life.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm sure it's been posted before, but one of the producers on Arrow is Speed Weed. He should really transfer to The Flash.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Butch Kitchen. I spotted him in the credits of some crappy movie.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm sure it's been posted before, but one of the producers on Arrow is Speed Weed. He should really transfer to The Flash.

And at one point coproducer of SVU alongside Dick Wolf.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Lord Hydronium posted:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

King Possum III posted:

Show some respect, lads. Remember, one could have you executed like THAT.

gently caress off teadrinker

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No they don't :lol: what the gently caress.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

Read the Wikipedia biographies for the Duke of Kent, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, Prince Andrew, Prince Philip, Viscount Linley, Lord Nicholas Windsor, Peter Phillips, and Prince Michael of Kent.

These members of the royal family have full-time jobs in the public sector, while the senior members (the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, etc.) perform royal duties full-time.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Danyail and Jurnee :psyduck:

Is that pronounced like Daniel or denial ?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

While everything King Possum said is true, they also have the real jobs of "owning a significant percentage of the real estate of Great Britain and letting the government collect rent on it".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Possum III posted:

Read the Wikipedia biographies for the Duke of Kent, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, Prince Andrew, Prince Philip, Viscount Linley, Lord Nicholas Windsor, Peter Phillips, and Prince Michael of Kent.

These members of the royal family have full-time jobs in the public sector, while the senior members (the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, etc.) perform royal duties full-time.

Well I looked up the first one and according to Wikipedia he's never had a real job in his life so :shrug:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Istari posted:

Is that pronounced like Daniel or denial ?

Like Danielle.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Jim Bacon was the Premier of Tasmania in the 90's. His wife's name was Honey.

I worked with a woman named Faye King

Kid named J'koby

Kid named Dragon

Sludge Tank has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Nov 18, 2016

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well I looked up the first one and according to Wikipedia he's never had a real job in his life so :shrug:

Excuse you, he is President of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Duke of Kent served in his country's armed forces for decades after graduating from a military academy. During his time in the British Army he was posted to several of the most dangerous trouble spots of the times.

Maybe that's not what you'd call the public sector, but most people have a measure of respect for those who give long years of military service.

Most people have some kind of hobby or recreational activities they enjoy; croquet and tennis are very popular in his country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Possum III posted:

The Duke of Kent served in his country's armed forces for decades after graduating from a military academy. During his time in the British Army he was posted to several of the most dangerous trouble spots of the times.

So he murdered some babies. That's not exactly a real job.