Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The bits in the Lord of the Rings about how proximity to horror and despair changes people forever, and literally causes some people to wither away (the black breath) or go mad (Denethor) always struck me as a particularly modern aspect of Tolkien's writing. The idea that even if you win, you'll never be the same, things will never quite go back to the way they were, or even that sometimes saving what you love means losing it for yourself. That's not from fairy stories. That's very post-ww1 modernism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Imagined posted:

The bits in the Lord of the Rings about how proximity to horror and despair changes people forever, and literally causes some people to wither away (the black breath) or go mad (Denethor) always struck me as a particularly modern aspect of Tolkien's writing. The idea that even if you win, you'll never be the same, things will never quite go back to the way they were, or even that sometimes saving what you love means losing it for yourself. That's not from fairy stories. That's very post-ww1 modernism.

Yeah, the article is completely correct to compare Tolkien to Pound and Eliot etc. The only real error is at the end, when for some reason learni g something about human emotions is less "real" than railway timetables or whatever.

It is really interesting that the "greatest novel of the twentieth century" is such a wholesale rejection of it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
From personal experience, my platoon did this in 2003 after every single engagement. We framed it as an AAR (after action review), which, interestingly enough was actual doctrine at the time. AARs were intended to improve the unit's abilities in tactics, but I think it also had the happy effect of reducing the mental strain that is--in my experience--inherent with sudden violence and ongoing fear.

Tolkien's writings of war are actually quite good, even with a modern lens applied to them. He captures the toils of the march and the every day, and the quick and almost "flash scene" nature of the violence also has the right feel. poo poo happens fast, and often what one is left with feels like a few still photographs.

All the usual caveats of, "This is just my experience, and others' may/probably were different" apply, of course.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I first read LotR around the same time I was reading Chaucer (for A levels) so the idea that it's not a simple, accessible read will always feel completely alien to me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My first read of the Hobbit was in sixth grade, so I would've been 10 or 11 years old. I remember we were reading it one chapter per week, and by the time we'd gotten up to Gandalf's departure I'd already finished the Hobbit and most of Fellowship as well. I didn't have a lot of nerd friends so I never really got further into fantasy, and I'm way too old for Harry Potter so I just re-read LOTR every year instead.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, we've done the first bit of Hobbit-reading! And on a good rainy night, too. The kids laughed at the name Baggins, which took me by surprise- I guess "Baggins" has been floating around my brain for so long I forgot how ridiculous a name it is.
Still weighing up whether or not to attempt a Gollum voice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always thought lotr was an extremely easy read, it's a guilty pleasure and indulgence and i can't imagine someone struggling with it. even the silmarillion is very easy, it reads like a liberal translation of the bible or homer or something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shibawanko posted:

I always thought lotr was an extremely easy read, it's a guilty pleasure and indulgence and i can't imagine someone struggling with it. even the silmarillion is very easy, it reads like a liberal translation of the bible or homer or something

When I was trying to get my brother interested in the Silmarillion, he read a little bit of it and gave up, and then later that day was a new Simpsons episode which was that one where Reverend Lovejoy reads a list of "begats" that goes on for hours. He turned to me and said "that's what the Silmarillion is like"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

When I was trying to get my brother interested in the Silmarillion, he read a little bit of it and gave up, and then later that day was a new Simpsons episode which was that one where Reverend Lovejoy reads a list of "begats" that goes on for hours. He turned to me and said "that's what the Silmarillion is like"

Really? Ouch.

The best bit in the Sil is the description of Tulkas- how he basically is the God Of Running Fast, Punching Things And Laughing- at the end of which, it dourly notes that "he is of no avail as a counsellor."
I have met more than one Tulkas irl...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the silmarillion owns, i really enjoy the buildup from the moment of creation to the period in valinor and how it all goes to poo poo in beleriand, feanor is also just a great character. it's not written in conventional character driven prose but i like that, i can sort of imagine the actual events and dialogues myself from their broad brush descriptions

elves also just kick rear end and i wish tolkien was reality and i could go meet them

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Well that's exactly the problem. I love these books, but I have a historical bent and an adoration for mythology and that stilted style just doesn't work for everyone. How many people do you think have genuinely read the Bible or Homer? Most people tend to read modern translations of them that smooth over the linguistic difficulties.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The slow burn of LotR where the style gradually goes from Hobbit-like at the beginning to closer and closer to Silmarillion-esque in RotK (especially after the Ring is destroyed) is a great bit of frog-in-boiling-water ramp-up. Eventually you realize you're reading all thou's and wherefore's which is hilarious if you're trying to read it aloud to someone

The ex-post rationale that that bit was written by :wotwot: Findegil, King's Writer :wotwot:, whereas the rest is all Frodo / Sam is equally funny but I'm here for it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If we didn't have the Silmarillion we would have lost our ability to identify nerds on December 19, 2001

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It turned out for me that the Silm. was a good frame or outline for the prose and poetic stories in the lost tales

The Silm is a bit too 1000 yards away from the narrative to be completely compelling.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The published Silmarillion was a beautiful mistake and the pro move for Chris would have been to devise a fictional framework for it as mutilated/incomplete segments of the Red Book rather than trying to make a gospel harmony of it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of the funnier impacts of LOTR on my life is realizing that the "halls" I've experienced have been a complete and utter loving letdown.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

I can sympathise with him if he hit a roadblock at the beginning of the Quenta Silmarillion - the Ainulindale and the Valaquenta are fun, but then you get the this elves went thisaway and the that elves went thataway and these other guys wurble wurble and it's a hell of a slog.

Then once you get further you find out it's all setup for the cool stuff and worth it, but you have to power through it on trust your first time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus he probably flipped right from that to looking at the diagrams of the Noldorin and Three Kindreds of Men's family trees and just noped out. Much like I suspect most people who complain about LotR being full of boring "landscapes" probably only read the Prologue.

I can totally understand the mindset, that sort of thing isn't for everybody. But some people's nerd brains are just wired to take to that kind of material like fish to water.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I can sympathise with him if he hit a roadblock at the beginning of the Quenta Silmarillion - the Ainulindale and the Valaquenta are fun, but then you get the this elves went thisaway and the that elves went thataway and these other guys wurble wurble and it's a hell of a slog.

Then once you get further you find out it's all setup for the cool stuff and worth it, but you have to power through it on trust your first time.

Newbies today should probably just skip to children of Hurin

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've been on a reading kick lately and in the last two weeks read the lord of the rings, silmarillion, and today I finished the unfinished tales. Wondering what else, if anything, to tackle next. I dont think I want to dig into the histories based on what I know about them. Going over a bunch of drafts from things in lotr isnt really something I am interested in doing. Any suggestions?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

I've been on a reading kick lately and in the last two weeks read the lord of the rings, silmarillion, and today I finished the unfinished tales. Wondering what else, if anything, to tackle next. I dont think I want to dig into the histories based on what I know about them. Going over a bunch of drafts from things in lotr isnt really something I am interested in doing. Any suggestions?

Some of the History might interest you, if you could get through Unfinished Tales. I’d recommend checking out vols. 1 and 2 (Book of Lost Tales), this is the original material that the Silmarillion was gradually adapted from and a lot of it is wild and quite different (what if instead of having Sauron as a lieutenant, Morgoth owned a giant cat?). Not every volume is as interesting but there’s some very unique stuff scattered throughout. After that you’re pretty much out of legendarium material.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lays of Beleriand is incredible

Imho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nesbit37 posted:

Smith of Wooton Major is Tolkien's best work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Children of Hurin if you haven't read it yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Notion Club Papers if you like getting blueballed by linguistics

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Children of Hurin if you haven't read it yet.

I'm kind of more interested in The Fall of Gondolin but never hear it recommended. Any reason why?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tolkien never finished it.

The 2018 book is a book report / literary study by Chris which is fine I guess.

The lays of Beleriand which I recommended has a Gondolin fragment

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Tolkien never finished it.

He did, but only the Lost Tale version. The later Gondolin thing is just the version in Unfinished Tales

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Book of Lost Tales version of Fall of Gondolin is my favourite non-LotR Tolkien.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

The Book of Lost Tales version of Fall of Gondolin is my favourite non-LotR Tolkien.

Yeah it’s really good. Doesn’t hurt that it’s actually finished unlike 99% of the unpublished stuff

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
As a Catholic a part of me hopes John got to heaven and was told, "Good start. Now let's get some of that material finnished."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why did I think he never finished it ?

Maybe I was thinking of the verse version ?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Why did I think he never finished it ?

Maybe I was thinking of the verse version ?

Maybe the post LOTR rewrite, which is really good as well but breaks off while Tuor is still going through the seven gates

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ynglaur posted:

As a Catholic a part of me hopes John got to heaven and was told, "Good start. Now let's get some of that material finnished."

"We are not bound forever in the circles of the world, and beyond them is a chance to get that rough draft sorted out."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ynglaur posted:

I don't think that would be heaven for old JR lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Denethor was so right Mithrandir aka Gandalf was literally just an undying spirit whose entire existence was fighting against Sauron and the allies of Sauron. Gandalf didn't give a gently caress about the people of Minas Tirith, everybody was just pawns in his long game. He's way more of a force of nature than an actual person.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Denethor was so right Mithrandir aka Gandalf was literally just an undying spirit whose entire existence was fighting against Sauron and the allies of Sauron. Gandalf didn't give a gently caress about the people of Minas Tirith, everybody was just pawns in his long game. He's way more of a force of nature than an actual person.

If you don't think Gandalf cared about people... did we even read the same books?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He didn’t care about Denethor that’s for sure

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think that’s a really cynical take, and I’m not sure if it’s just bait. Obviously Gandalf’s goal was to defeat Sauron while preventing as much suffering to the people of Middle-Earth as possible. That was the whole point of sending the Istari. If the primary goal of the Valar had just been Sauron’s defeat, Eonwe would have just come over with a big army and hosed him up. But that would have resulted in a lot more death and destruction than what Gandalf accomplished.

Where Gandalf differs from Denethor is that Denethor completely takes a “Gondor first” attitude. He primarily cares about the power and prestige of his own country, and his lineage in charge of it and he sees Gondor as the only significant enemy of Sauron when in fact it’s the primary, but not only power opposing Mordor. Gandalf obviously cares about the people of Minas Tirith (otherwise why bother going to the Houses of Healing with the Battle of the Pelennor Fields still raging) but puts the fate and wellbeing of all of Middle-Earth before any single country or individual.

Gandalf absolutely does use people and armies as “pawns”, though. Frodo is the most obvious case of that. There’s no way Gandalf didn’t know that the quest of the Ring could end in any way other than complete ruin for Frodo personally, regardless of whatever else happened, but he still encouraged him on it. Sure he probably was operating on faith that Eru (God) chose Frodo for the quest and would make sure he came out if it okay in the end, but it was still a very cold decision in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo calls him out on it directly

But what can you do, he was chosen by the gods.

Poor Frodo. He didn’t even want to go to Mordor but was literally possessed by the gods in the fateful moment and forced to. At least they sent the eagles so he didn’t die on the side of a volcano and instead died weary and in pain in the west

euphronius fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 5, 2020