Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Even if they did, is that really something you want? Is 4K on a 13" screen going to be noticeably better than 1080p?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Even if they did, is that really something you want? Is 4K on a 13" screen going to be noticeably better than 1080p?

Might be just for HDR?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Why did the prices on the iPads increase by $50 yesterday?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fake news cnn says the 256 gb flash storage unit has increased in price due to shortage and demand

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GoldfishStew posted:

Why did the prices on the iPads increase by $50 yesterday?

So what's it like being a grown up who fucks real dolls?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Oh hey that's the dollfucker guy. Been hearing a lot about him.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I posted about how the iPhone SE is the best phone, but do they call me GoldfishStew the SE lover? I posted about rolling my own cloud sync solution, but do they call me GoldfishStew the iCloud hater?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Weedle posted:

I posted about how the iPhone SE is the best phone, but do they call me GoldfishStew the SE lover? I posted about rolling my own cloud sync solution, but do they call me GoldfishStew the iCloud hater?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What’s a Real Doll, but an elaborate iPad holder? Someone who will always keep your tablet close and safe and won’t complain when you take it out of their hands.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Currently have a pro 9.7 that I use for writing and annotating PDFs. Always felt like it was too cramped for those purposes though. How is the 10.5 for writing, does that minimal size bump really make a difference?

I would jump to the 12.9 but that's definitely just a tad too big, and a waste of money since it's behind in specs now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

logikv9 posted:

Currently have a pro 9.7 that I use for writing and annotating PDFs. Always felt like it was too cramped for those purposes though. How is the 10.5 for writing, does that minimal size bump really make a difference?

I would jump to the 12.9 but that's definitely just a tad too big, and a waste of money since it's behind in specs now.

It's noticeable but the 12.9 if writing would really be the one to go for. I went 9.7->10.5 and its very good. But I noticed the 120hz refresh more than the added screen real estate.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

logikv9 posted:

The 12.9 and the 10.5 have the same specs?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Biodome posted:

The 12.9 and the 10.5 have the same specs?

That fancy PRO-MOTION refresh rate and truetone are all nice things to also have. Granted, going from a 9.7 isn't much different but it's something to also keep in the back of my mind. The most important thing is the ease of use when writing.

I've used the 12.9 and while it's perfect for writing, god that thing is unnaturally large.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

logikv9 posted:

That fancy PRO-MOTION refresh rate and truetone are all nice things to also have. Granted, going from a 9.7 isn't much different but it's something to also keep in the back of my mind. The most important thing is the ease of use when writing.

I've used the 12.9 and while it's perfect for writing, god that thing is unnaturally large.

Have you tried a 10.5? Maybe got play with one at an apple store. If you don’t like the 12but feel the 9.7 is cramped then I think you’ll like the 10.5 a lot. Like I said, I love the hell out of mine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Im fine with a 12" but it does feel just a Bit too large. For drawings and writing it's awesome though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Matt Zerella posted:

Have you tried a 10.5? Maybe got play with one at an apple store. If you don’t like the 12but feel the 9.7 is cramped then I think you’ll like the 10.5 a lot. Like I said, I love the hell out of mine.

I've played with one, but I didn't try writing on it. I'll definitely try it whenever possible

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The only regret I have about the 10.5 is it can't do a full 8.5 x 11 page. But I wouldn't want the 12 just because the 10 is so much easier to maneuver.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My Pro 9.7 has a powerful battery, but YouTube seems to kill it.

Opened the lid last night and saw 98% battery played a video, used slide over to set a 1.5hour timer for Stop Playback. Sure enough, after 90 minutes the video stopped playing and the screen turned off. Went to sleep, woke up to find 43% battery, which iOS 24 hour battery report listed as 99% YouTube and 1% Siri and no other apps, with 90 minutes of screen on time and about 10 hours of background activity.

I've turned off YouTube's background refresh and reset the tablet. Hope that fixes it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a large, first gen iPad Pro and had both the home and power buttons stop working tonight. They are working now - this is a serious issue because I use it for work and I am wondering if this is a known issue and also if anyone knows what might have happened. I am a guitarist and was playing a cocktail hour with a violinist. All of my music is on the ipad and if I am playing with another musician, which happens often, I have to have the music accessible quickly or else we just cant play. I was expecting to get it home and plan a trip to the Apple Store but now that it is working again I have no idea if I am supposed to expect this to happen again or not. Eventually on the gig I found that I could plug in a lighting cable from a portable battery (which luckily the violinist had) to get the screen to come on, swipe left to my last used apps on the home screen and then tap one and enter my passcode. The screen worked fine, it just seemed to be the physical buttons. Very concerning.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

I have a large, first gen iPad Pro and had both the home and power buttons stop working tonight. They are working now - this is a serious issue because I use it for work and I am wondering if this is a known issue and also if anyone knows what might have happened. I am a guitarist and was playing a cocktail hour with a violinist. All of my music is on the ipad and if I am playing with another musician, which happens often, I have to have the music accessible quickly or else we just cant play. I was expecting to get it home and plan a trip to the Apple Store but now that it is working again I have no idea if I am supposed to expect this to happen again or not. Eventually on the gig I found that I could plug in a lighting cable from a portable battery (which luckily the violinist had) to get the screen to come on, swipe left to my last used apps on the home screen and then tap one and enter my passcode. The screen worked fine, it just seemed to be the physical buttons. Very concerning.

Both physical buttons aren’t likely fail so I’m going to guess software issue. I’d back it up and restore. You can set up a virtual home button in the accessibility menu that will give you at least some access if it happens again. Also keep a battery pack nearby.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Another trick just to get the screen on first is a cover/magnet to replicate the smart cover.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh duh, I had my Smart Keyboard but had taken it off and put it in my bag. I was close to panicking since it was a job and thought the whole thing had died at first so I wouldn't have even thought to try that.

It does make sense that it would be software though. Thanks for the suggestion - I will back it up and see what happens. At least now I can be prepared if it happens again.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

iPad iOS11 question: Anyone figured out how to close sidebar apps?

I have a mini 3, so I don't have "true" split screen multitasking like the newer iPads. I figured out how to open a sidebar app but I can't figure out how to close it outside of sweeping it off the screen (which doesn't seem to close it?

Dragging down the "_" at the top just makes the icon fade in but it just snaps back.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Slide right from the left edge of the sidebar?

Oh, oops, never mind.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Slide right from the left edge of the sidebar?

Oh, oops, never mind.

Figured it out.

On the Mini 2/3, you can keep one sidebar app in-memory, to replace you just drag an app from the dock to the side. The "_" thing is a lie, you can just switch what side the app is on but I assume on a more powerful iPad, its how you do full split screen multitasking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking to sell my 2012 rMBP and get an iPad Pro instead. Right now it would be for browsing, media consumption, and reading textbook material for an online school. I have a Mac Pro at home for any real heavy lifting.

I'm looking at the 9.7" 128gb Refurb on Apple's site for $530 but I keep hearing everyone go on and on about the upgraded screen and increased RAM on the 10.5". Going for the 256gb there would be another nearly $300.

Thoughts? I don't really have a reference point so I can't say if I would even want or need the other features the 10.5" has. Or is this something that making the jump to the 10.5" is going to get me a much longer life out of it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Faster processor, bigger screen, 120hz refresh, more storage. It’s not like it’s just storage, if that’s worth the price difference to you, go for it.

I’ve owned both the 9.7 and 10.5 and I love the 10.5 and am glad I upgraded.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd say get the refurb to try it out, if you're new to tablets you might not fall in love with working that way. If you decide it's for you and you must have the best one 10.5 refurbs will be available by then.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've owned a couple iPads, the last one I used was the iPad 3. My kids have a Mini 4 and iPad Air 1. I was using the Air 1 this morning for reading some school stuff which is what prompted me to consider ditching the laptop finally.

I could probably get by with the 64gb version actually, I just know I don't want the 32gb.

Maybe I'll wait until they hit the refurb store. It's been 90 days so they should be showing up pretty soon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

FCKGW posted:

I was using the Air 1 this morning for reading some school stuff which is what prompted me to consider ditching the laptop finally.

Yeah a big danger of owning an iPad w/ iOS 11 is that your laptop may begin to collect dust. I actually (briefly) either returning the tablet or selling my Macbook just because the iPad is that competitive now. What keeps me hanging on are the handful of websites that absolutely will not work on a mobile browser or some dumb software my school wants that has no mobile app port.

e: short unrelated story:

I bought an iPad 2017 (nonpro) because I was a little too scared to fully commit to a Pro. I took it home, played with it for a few hours, realized:
a) big screen iOS is mega convenient for bed-based media consumption
b) non-pro iPad had a greater difficulty running GTA San Andreas than my iPhone 7+ and that *just felt wrong*

I went back to the store the same evening and exchanged for a 9.7 Pro. I've toyed around with the idea of getting a 10.5 in the past few weeks but the 120Hz, slightly enlarged screen sound nice but not enough to justify yet another upsell. That and the 9.7 Pro is plenty fast and I cant imagine my apps opening that much faster.

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 20, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ok so right off the bat the standard apple question how do we stop apps from undesirably showing up in the dock as most used

If I want something in split-view that isn’t in the dock what do I do

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 20, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ethanol posted:

Ok so right off the bat the standard apple question how do we stop apps from undesirably showing up in the dock as most used

If I want something in split-view that isn’t in the dock what do I do

The 3 apps on the right side of the divider are the most recently used, not most used. The apps on the left side of the divider are selected by the user.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

skull mask mcgee posted:

The 3 apps on the right side of the divider are the most recently used, not most used. The apps on the left side of the divider are selected by the user.

I guess that makes sense why I can’t drag a list of apps anymore since that was just a list of recent apps

Is it just me or was it easier to close a snapped app before. I keep missing swipes all over the place now. Guess I just don’t really get it yet

The new control center seems nice though

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I moved Files out of the dock and now it won't do the pop up ever again. What a weird release.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm not getting how the new multitasking works yet, what's the point of the floaty window mode? Just to move it to the left or right of the screen ?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm not getting how the new multitasking works yet, what's the point of the floaty window mode? Just to move it to the left or right of the screen ?

It works with apps that don’t support split screen, which can be useful.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Seems like it yeah, or slide off screen while still active for however long (I imagine it goes into a sleep/closed state eventually). Main benefit vs the old slideover is that it’s no longer a modal thing, the app underneath is still interactive now. Kinda nice if the main app doesn’t support split view (e;fb), or for whatever reasons don’t necessarily want it (like if it shrinks content too much).

Not terribly useful example would be the Facebook app which still and seems like it’ll probably never support split view, you can pop over whatever chat window on the side where Facebook just has some random crap over there. A more useful example would be uh, something with Photos as floating app, just could just kinda use it as a floating drag and drop image palette to insert stuff in another app without needing to split the screen up.

Otherwise the other multitasking UI changes are split view with the small app able to be on the left, and I think the big iPad Pro can do split view and a floaty window simultaneously (seems possible on my iPad mini 4, but the floating window is modal). Not sure about the other iPad Pros there. You can drag and drop onto the thumbnails in the app switcher, although it’d be more useful without the spring loaded folder like delay.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

skull mask mcgee posted:

The right-most icon of these is also used for a currently-active iPhone app if it has some kind of Handover support.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Hi thread, I just inherited an iPad Mini 4 and have no idea what to do with it. I think I would mostly use it for reading articles (mostly PDF, maybe .epub - what are the best apps for this), and for playing games. But I am also open to 1) making it look cool, 2) making it do other cool things.

So basically, what are some must-have apps, and what else should I know about this thing?

Oh, I should say that I have an Android phone and no other Apple products so no interconnectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bit the bullet and bought the 10.5" 256gb iPad Pro this morning w/ Smart Keyboard and holy smoke this thing is incredible