Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Or as people have said, just let it transform if that's an investment in gems the player is willing to make, especially in LA where they default to being sorta-rare, and there aren't all that many Nature mages knocking about to do searches for you, even moreso if their temples and labs are expensive relative to their income, so the old X Tribe Shaman thing is a serious financial burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Does Transform still hose multiplayer games? There's your solution! :q:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What would happen if I make that start-commander a unique unit and slip a autosummon-order for this unit into each commander of LA Akkad? Would that work? As long as the unique commander is there the summons should automatically fail, but if a crafty player somehow gets rid of that immobile starting commander, every commander-type unit should resummon that unit automatically.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How does the monolith (I think it's the monolith) remain utterly fixed in place?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Its the Monument, there's a special tag for it but I don't know that the tag is all forms of movement or just prevents teleportation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Anyone got any good Berytos pretender builds that aren't the usual "awake dragon with awe and F/W/N4 and good scales" routine? I was considering N9/E9 dual bless for absurd communions and Melqarts using an imprisoned Statue of Growth or whatever the E1N2 oracle-alike is, but I do not enjoy initial expansion with that.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

scalded schlong posted:

Anyone got any good Berytos pretender builds that aren't the usual "awake dragon with awe and F/W/N4 and good scales" routine? I was considering N9/E9 dual bless for absurd communions and Melqarts using an imprisoned Statue of Growth or whatever the E1N2 oracle-alike is, but I do not enjoy initial expansion with that.

You could try going with a dormant scales titan with paths good enough to cast a few globals. Berytos has decent mobility and elephants, plus their research is decent with their sages.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Don't you have to be alive to transform? Make it a statue or something. Also immortal to help prevent people from trying to kill it off, otherwise some Joker could just try getting it horror marked to hell and back.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Barono posted:

Don't you have to be alive to transform? Make it a statue or something. Also immortal to help prevent people from trying to kill it off, otherwise some Joker could just try getting it horror marked to hell and back.

Immortal would also be good for preventing shenanigans with patrolling outside the fort.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah actually Immortal + a huge negative pathboost + the monument's immobility tag would cover almost everything.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Make the drat thing a gem gen unit. By the time a player can do any sort of magic trickery, they will appreciate the gem income more.

Can units have more than one gem gen attribute to them?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Donkringel posted:

Make the drat thing a gem gen unit. By the time a player can do any sort of magic trickery, they will appreciate the gem income more.

Can units have more than one gem gen attribute to them?

There is already at least one pretender that gives you one water and one nature gem per month, so yes.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Why is Sloth 3 such a common scale choice? I get that the idea is that you're more likely to be throttled by gold than by resources but the extra resources seem invaluable in a lot of situations, from early expansion (where you're throttled by resources) to building troops in multiple castles (where you're throttled by resources). I'd have thought Sloth worse than Death or Misfortune because I always seem to be out of resources all the time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

Why is Sloth 3 such a common scale choice? I get that the idea is that you're more likely to be throttled by gold than by resources but the extra resources seem invaluable in a lot of situations, from early expansion (where you're throttled by resources) to building troops in multiple castles (where you're throttled by resources). I'd have thought Sloth worse than Death or Misfortune because I always seem to be out of resources all the time.

The problem quickly starts going away once you have a second/third fort, and once you start preferring mages to troop spam. If you're running an awake supercombatant, it's pretty easy to get away with. Besides, being gold limited is a worse situation than being resource limited because you can usually use excess gold to either get more/better mages or buy more forts.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Resource costs for heavy armor are also often kind of way too goddamn high; you can usually get two-thirds as much prot as someone in heavy armor for a quarter as many resources using lighter armor.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 6, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Neruz posted:

Resource costs for heavy armor are also often kind of way too goddamn high; you can usually get two-thirds as much prot as someone in heavy armor for a quarter as many resources using lighter armor.

Yeah, but even so you can get 1.5x as many of those lighter-armoured troopsn. Say I'm spending all my money on Sauromancers and Elite Warrior slaves, which is about as low-resource as it gets. I still seem to get more mileage out of having the extra resources so I can have more warriors early on for my expansion. Later on I'm not throttled as much for gold so I can use the bonus resources even more.

But I guess the 240 point difference between Sloth 3 and Prod 3 is quite a lot. What else do people get with it? Is Fortune secretly really good? Is Growth better than it looks?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Luck and growth are both pretty good. Better than production for almost everyone. Spend your money on more forts and labs and mages instead of troops.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Boing posted:

Yeah, but even so you can get 1.5x as many of those lighter-armoured troopsn. Say I'm spending all my money on Sauromancers and Elite Warrior slaves, which is about as low-resource as it gets. I still seem to get more mileage out of having the extra resources so I can have more warriors early on for my expansion. Later on I'm not throttled as much for gold so I can use the bonus resources even more.

But I guess the 240 point difference between Sloth 3 and Prod 3 is quite a lot. What else do people get with it? Is Fortune secretly really good? Is Growth better than it looks?

Growth is very good for income because the steady population increase is another bonus on top of the 3% per point, albeit usually a small one. Plus it helps if someone throws up Burden of Time. Despite that I don't go Sloth 3 a whole lot, there are specific nations that like to but they're not usually ones I like to play. I do try to not invest too heavily into production scales if I can avoid it though, because it strikes me as a pretty narrow bonus, mostly good for the expansion phase and not much beyond that.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Growth 3 + Order 3 gets you about double the income as just Growth 3 by turn 40. Order 3 gets you about a third as Growth 3 + Order 3.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Growth 3 + Order 3 gets you about double the income as just Growth 3 by turn 40. Order 3 gets you about a third as Growth 3 + Order 3.

However Order is often priority over Growth because it will give more gold at the very start, creating a domino effect of buying more stuff = conquering more land = getting more gold. Plus the lower number of random events and automatic unrest reduction means you can easily go misfortune 1 or 2 with fewer problems. Having both Order and Growth is very good, however, like amuyase says.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Order 3 also passively reduces unrest, which is a nice bonus if you're a blood nation. If you're going full scales though, it's probably best to shoot for both.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So I was playing dominions and...

Hmmmmmm... :stare:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Please mod all commanders so that 10% of them have their gender tag switched for the purposes of seduction, to accurately represent my dryad/oreiad fanfiction.

Penthesilea casts Entangle

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

scalded schlong posted:

Please mod all commanders so that 10% of them have their gender tag switched for the purposes of seduction, to accurately represent my dryad/oreiad fanfiction.

Sorry only commanders of the opoosite sex can be seduced.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
What are some dope mods for cool people?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sombre's AI Recruitment Mod, which means the AI doesn't hire the vast majority of indie troops.

This makes your singleplayer games better (because you get more thematic armies that are often stronger, too) and MP games aren't quite as wrecked by people leaving (because the AI won't recruit a billion X Tribe Indies upon being given the reins).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

scalded schlong posted:

Aren't Arco's sacreds immune to seduction on account of being gay?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
afaik there is no #imgay tag.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

No hes right Heart Companions can't be seduced, if for some reason you gor a Heart Companion and a Dryad tries to seduce him it will always fail. Because Dominions. There's no tag for it though it's hard-coded to them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Neruz posted:

Sorry only commanders of the opoosite sex can be seduced.

That's why you need to create duplicate units of all commanders only with the sex switched and have the alternate form be recruited 10% of the time to recreate the functionality of an #imgay tag god.

Also does the no-seduce thing work on Tien Chi's eunuchs?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I thought there was a #seduceimmune tag.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Well it would be redundant since there is already the #female tag which does the same thing. It may be crude, but you could simply describe a manly man unit with a manly description, then secretly add the #female tag to make the unit immune against seduction. It's not like Dominions 4 cares about secret hidden genders.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Libluini posted:

Well it would be redundant since there is already the #female tag which does the same thing. It may be crude, but you could simply describe a manly man unit with a manly description, then secretly add the #female tag to make the unit immune against seduction. It's not like Dominions 4 cares about secret hidden genders.

MY IMMERSION THOUGH

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Neruz posted:

opoosite

:thejoke:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

MY IMMERSION THOUGH

Well, if immersion is that important, just tell Illwinter they should replace the #female tag with #female, #male, #other. The game obviously crashes if you forget one of these new tags. Immunity against seduction is then regulated with two more tags: #gay and #les for immunity against female/male seduction attempts.

So this covers all the bases, I think

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Libluini posted:

Well, if immersion is that important, just tell Illwinter they should replace the #female tag with #female, #male, #other. The game obviously crashes if you forget one of these new tags. Immunity against seduction is then regulated with two more tags: #gay and #les for immunity against female/male seduction attempts.

So this covers all the bases, I think

But do I use #gay or #les for #other?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What If i want my PG to be a two spirited wolf-presenting dragonkin?

actually I think that's legitimately moddable

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

What If i want my PG to be a two spirited wolf-presenting dragonkin?

actually I think that's legitimately moddable

But what if we want seduction mechanics for otherkin? Now we have a use case for #seducesdragonkin and #dragonkin, not too mention all the other creatures you could really be inside.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Depends on where on the gender-spectrum you want your #other-unit to be, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This is drifting too close to a #zoophile tag for my liking.

• Locked thread