Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hue dimmers come with a magnetic faceplate.
You can always wirenut line to load behind the plate to keep them powered. This is what I do in my kitchen, where I have a bunch of BR30 Hue multicolored sex lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I think y’all are missing something extremely important. Blindjoe here is trying to control a bunch of shop lights in a garage. Philips Hue does not make shoplights. These are not hue bulbs.

Nothing hue makes will allow BlindJoe to control these here shoplights without first converting the physical wall switch to a smart wall switch.

The Hue wall switch module ( https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/p/hue-philips-hue-wall-switch-module/046677571160 ) also will not solve this problem. This component is used to disable an existing dumb wall switch and allow hue bulbs to hijack the switch action as a smart trigger for hue bulbs only.

blindjoe posted:

Sounds like Lutron might be the way to go, and supposedly lutron works with hue? Only reason for the Hue was each switch is $50 and Ive got a pile of them. Also it means buying new hubs etc which is sigh.
- Also Hue is pretty useless it seems, this starter kit is only good if you have places to put the bulbs.
- wyze seems fine, just would have to futz around in the boxes and rewire to be single on/off, as its single pole only.
- nice part is they are cheap, $20 and can be bought at home depot
- for Hue/wyze integration, I guess I need IFTTT - which is online, I guess it would be fine for most things, as long as the wyze switch works with no internet too.

The Hue switch module seems weird - only good for controlling Hue stuff, and the wrong shape for square boxes.
Neutrals are fine, they are all in the switch boxes.

IMO I dislike Wyze’s platform and most of their stuff, but separating from that you shouldn’t need IFTTT to make it interface with hue (I think). Since the Wyze switch is Alexa & Google Home compatible, you should be able to set an automation in one of those platforms where “I press x on hue, it triggers y on Wyze dimmer, which controls lights”

I can tell you with 100% certainty that doing this with Lutron is possible, as I have a bunch of automations that act this way with a hue dimmer and Lutron lights using nothing but Apple home.

And while they’re expensive, Lutron’s stuff is amazing as hell, works and feels excellent as a dumb switch, and you’ll want to replace every switch in your home with them.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

And while they’re expensive, Lutron’s stuff is amazing as hell, works and feels excellent as a dumb switch, and you’ll want to replace every switch in your home with them.

I can second this. I bought one (1) smart switch so that I could automate the lighting in my bedroom and now nearly every drat bulb in my condo is on some kind of Lutron product. Effortless to install and use.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Would a group buy bring down the price of the lutron switches enough to be worth it? Anyone here work at a supply house that carries them? I'm thinking about asking the rep how many I'd need to pick up for a price break next time I'm in for a big order.

I probably need a dozen more dimmers and a few switches to finish my house. I also have an extra non pro hub sitting around if anyone needs one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use lutron in my garage w lights. Wall switch to control the hard wired LED fixtures, and then lutron smart plug to control plug in lights around the garage.

I keep a pico on my workbench, but I'm using home assistant for motion/presence detection, so we don't really touch anything most of the time

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What do you use for motion? Right now I have a wired non-smart Lutron motion sensor for our garage lights but there’s a dead zone because of the room shape and I want to see what I can do for multiple sensors. I run HA and have Zwave and Zigbee overlays.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Each room or hallway, I use either the Hue motion sensors (z2m) or Zoos 4 in 1 (zwavejs). I also have a few Wink(?) Zwave in some locations. I use HA to group the motion sensors, and then another combination of logic to determine if we're home/etc. I also have Nest Protect and use those for motion. Interior doors have open/close sensors as well.

In the garage I have that same setup, plus an Aqara presence sensor and a unifi protect camera (with person detection) that covers all that. Lastly, we have a TV and peloton in the corner of our garage, so I use network and smart plugs to detect if they are in use.

That all gets wrapped up into one big on/off automation for the lights. I also use a switchbot to toggle some workbench lighting because the LED fixtures don't work well with smart plugs :(

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I just bought a couple Arduino ESP32 boards.

One is earmarked for making a remote temp/humidity sensor for the garage. Probably going to do the same for the crawl space, maybe even one for the attic if I can't find anything better to do with it.

Any other neat ideas to do with these?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I just bought a couple Arduino ESP32 boards.

One is earmarked for making a remote temp/humidity sensor for the garage. Probably going to do the same for the crawl space, maybe even one for the attic if I can't find anything better to do with it.

Any other neat ideas to do with these?

Can add some buttons to make physical controls for home automation stuff, make Bluetooth presence sensors, can make a wifi probe thermometer setup, etc.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I have one of those cheap wireless battery operated doorbells. Is there any suggestions for ways I can get home assistant to detect it going off? Maybe it's a radio signal, or I could try to open up the receiver and see if there's an easy way I can get an esp32 to detect it going off.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hogofwar posted:

I have one of those cheap wireless battery operated doorbells. Is there any suggestions for ways I can get home assistant to detect it going off? Maybe it's a radio signal, or I could try to open up the receiver and see if there's an easy way I can get an esp32 to detect it going off.

It’s probably a 433 mhz radio signal - you can do some things with an ESP and a 433 mhz receiver board.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey, sorry for the newbie question (in a time crunch). I've had two people ask me about Ring battery cameras. I did not like Ring (or their unencrypted feeds, etc), but that was many years ago. Can I recommend them to tech unfriendly people? I can't provide on site support.

If not, are there good alternatives?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ring is great for tech-unfriendly people.

I am tech-friendly and have like 5-6 Ring cams since they're easy, and the Homebridge plugin works pretty well.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I have a ring indoor camera that I cannot figure out how to get the video feed into home assistant. Is there some limitation with ring?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ring is great for tech-unfriendly people.

I am tech-friendly and have like 5-6 Ring cams since they're easy, and the Homebridge plugin works pretty well.

Ooh, the sharing video with law enforcement without a warrant is not a popular thing. Allegedly Anker (lol!), Wyze and Arlo do not, but I saw some pretty negative reviews on Amazon for the latter, and then of course the whole Eufy thing. Hopefully I'll have some time in the next 24 hours to find real reviews / search this thread.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If the cops want to see my wife’s 209 Amazon deliveries a day on my ring doorbell, knock yourself out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

If the cops want to see my wife’s 209 Amazon deliveries a day on my ring doorbell, knock yourself out.

It's less that and more "using it to spy on ex girlfriends or people who fail the paper bag test" since there's basically zero oversight. I think it's better now, and you have to choose to share the video, as opposed to not being given the choice to opt out. I think there's still an "emergency" provision where the police can access footage, but only in circumstances where there's immediate danger (a kidnapping or violent crime). It's better, but still not great.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/07/ring-reveals-they-give-videos-police-without-user-consent-or-warrant

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001318523-Ring-Law-Enforcement-Guidelines

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/07/privacy-loophole-ring-doorbell-00084979

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/consumer/ring-camera-footage-can-be-obtained-by-police-heres-how/3381940/

I don't put Ring inside my house, but I have 2 doorbells and 2 Floodlight cams at home, plus 2 doorbells and one basic camera at my shop. They've been pretty good, quality is good and the alerts work. I also have Ring alarm at both locations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i have eufy cameras and am very happy with them, they do not give information to the cops. it is my understanding that the security hole that was causing the problem was something that only was an issue if you specifically allowed remote access to your footage in the settings, which is something that 99% of users didn't do and they fixed the problem. i find that the tech reporting industry does a very good job of throwing their hands around and screaming DELETE NOW IT'S BAD but not so well at explaining to dumbasses like myself how something works and what the actual risk and exposure is.

that being said there's no official integration with HA and i havent been able to get a live stream of any of mine through the addons available, only still pictures from the last time they were triggered. but as mentioned before i am Dumber Than Dog poo poo so im sure im doing something wrong.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

John Romero posted:

it is my understanding that the security hole that was causing the problem was something that only was an issue if you specifically allowed remote access to your footage in the settings, which is something that 99% of users didn't do and they fixed the problem.

Not at all the case.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

More like a cop pulls you wife over, takes a liking to her, and obsessively stalks her using police resources

https://nypost.com/2023/09/02/nj-cop-stalked-teen-girl-at-police-national-night-out-event/

cops abuse resources all the time, here's one from a few days ago

quote:

Kevin Ruditsky is charged with stalking a 16-year-old girl he met at police event.

Manalapan patrolman Kevin Ruditsky was in full uniform when he met the 16-year-old girl on Aug. 1 at the town’s National Night Out

He let her sit in his patrol car, and later that evening, Ruditsky, 46, began peppering the girl with sexually explicit messages and photos on social media, Monmouth County Prosecutor Raymond S. Santiago said this week.

Several days after National Night Out, the pervy patrolman pulled the teen over on Route 9, handcuffed her, and attempted to kiss her “while his dash camera and body-worn camera were both deactivated,” Santiago said.

Ruditsky also “conducted lookups” of the victim in a law enforcement database, and once sat outside the girl’s home in his patrol car after the teen refused to give him her address, prosecutors said

He used police resources to track and force himself on a 16-year-old

Now imagine someone like this who can watch your cameras too and tell exactly when someone is home alone.

text editor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 5, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

text editor posted:

More like a cop pulls you wife over, takes a liking to her, and obsessively stalks her using police resources

https://nypost.com/2023/09/02/nj-cop-stalked-teen-girl-at-police-national-night-out-event/

cops abuse resources all the time, here's one from a few days ago

He used police resources to track and force himself on a 16-year-old

Now imagine someone like this who can watch your cameras too and tell exactly when someone is home alone.

Or who else lives there... Sure would be a shame for her boyfriend to resist arrest. Or her girlfriend.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Not at all the case.

ok can you please explain why i am wrong then

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

John Romero posted:

ok can you please explain why i am wrong then
Here's a starting point: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/ankers-eufy-admits-problems-with-unencrypted-video-access-pledges-overhaul/

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hello thread. For a couple years now I've had a smart things hub and a Phillips hue bridge. And that has helped me control 99% of what I care about, I don't get too fancy with it.

My friend just got a new house, and is working on some basic automation (like turning on lights at sunrise to wake him) but is finding it hard to do basically in Google (he has little Google assistant pucks everywhere).

I was thinking of getting him a smart things hub but it looks like Sam Sung doesn't make it anymore? I'm kinda confused as to what would be the best unifying hub that works with Google in 2023?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Depending on how tech-savvy one of you is, Homeassistant has good integration with both hue and google home. I've got google home talking to HA's cloud-hosted setup (Nabu Casa).

I'm not sure how much money or trouble he's willing to throw at this, I just installed it on a raspberry pi and I'm willing dump a ton of time into Projects. But the automations are reliable and simple ones are easy to set up . I've got things like ramping down lights at night, turning off a space heater if I left it on, turning on lights when certain people show up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taiyoko posted:

Check your battery settings. Battery > battery usage > HA app > set it to unrestricted. It sounds like Android's power optimization is loving with the app's ability to send notifications.

So I figured this out. There is a deviceidle service that apparently gives unpredictable results for a lot of people/on a lot of phones. It's not a new problem at all. Lots of people have this issue and most of them probably don't even know about it. It's entirely rectified by disabling it.

code:
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
I do not think this persists a reboot. But so far it's entirely sorted the issue, which typically happens after the screen has been locked for 5+ minutes but sometimes sooner.

How ridiculous. Do people just not really care/notice delayed notifications?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Security system may be moving up in my priority setup list for my new home in the near future. I hate the cloud, I hate the idea of a Nest/Ring camera handing over pictures from my home to Amazon/Google to do deep-dive analysis on.

I read the last couple of pages of the thread and the OP; the OP is almost a decade old, but the last couple of pages talk about Homebridge. Is Homebridge the go-to for open-source home automation stuff at the moment? If I wanted to do something like set up a NAS for security cameras, or even set up cloud storage without using something systemized like Nest or Ring, is there a good open-source solution for that?

As far as non-cloud home security cameras go, what are people using? Do you use, like, battery-powered stuff, or have you set up PoE switches to power them? I support enterprise security software in my job, but I'm not a camera aiming person or anything, and really don't know where a good place to start for home stuff is if I don't want the standard give-away-all-my-data stuff; is there a good primer for that somewhere? Should I just give up and accept the panopticon? If I reach out to a professional, are they pretty much only gonna support cloud-based monthly fee stuff, or can they help with something local?

I don't mind buying commercial software if that's the way to go, I just don't want to be buying it from a data mining company.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 13, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ham Equity posted:

Security system may be moving up in my priority setup list for my new home in the near future. I hate the cloud, I hate the idea of a Nest/Ring camera handing over pictures from my home to Amazon/Google to do deep-dive analysis on.

I read the last couple of pages of the thread and the OP; the OP is almost a decade old, but the last couple of pages talk about Homebridge. Is Homebridge the go-to for open-source home automation stuff at the moment? If I wanted to do something like set up a NAS for security cameras, or even set up cloud storage without using something systemized like Nest or Ring, is there a good open-source solution for that?

As far as non-cloud home security cameras go, what are people using? Do you use, like, battery-powered stuff, or have you set up PoE switches to power them? I support enterprise security software in my job, but I'm not a camera aiming person or anything, and really don't know where a good place to start for home stuff is if I don't want the standard give-away-all-my-data stuff; is there a good primer for that somewhere? Should I just give up and accept the panopticon? If I reach out to a professional, are they pretty much only gonna support cloud-based monthly fee stuff, or can they help with something local?

I don't mind buying commercial software if that's the way to go, I just don't want to be buying it from a data mining company.

I'm fully in the Unifi ecosystem for my cameras so I can't really speak to that part other than to say that Blue Iris (not open source) seems like the most commonly used self-hosted DVR software. I would also generally recommend going POE for cameras if only because it makes it easy to get your whole camera system onto a battery back-up and to eliminate wifi interference/jamming as an issue.

Home Assistant is probably the most commonly used self-hosted home automation platform, but plenty of people also use Homebridge either on its own or along side Home Assistant, same goes for Node-Red.

For a home NAS most people are on TrueNAS Core/Scale, or they're on unRAID (not open-source). Both allow you to run something like Home Assistant either as a container or a VM.

Also, if you haven't already, check the NAS megathread and the Self-hosted megathread. Between those threads and the folks in here you should be able to get answers for all this stuff.

Not exactly what you were looking for but hopefully that's a good jumping off point on a lot of this stuff.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Homebridge will maybe get your local camera system to be displayed in Apple HomeKit. There’s some additional automation you can do, but Homebridge’s main purpose is to force unsupported stuff into Apple’s ecosystem.

I don’t run them, but it seems Unifi is one of the most popular local security systems. Home assistant or maybe even Homebridge could possibly cloud it for you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm fully in the Unifi ecosystem for my cameras so I can't really speak to that part other than to say that Blue Iris (not open source) seems like the most commonly used self-hosted DVR software. I would also generally recommend going POE for cameras if only because it makes it easy to get your whole camera system onto a battery back-up and to eliminate wifi interference/jamming as an issue.

Home Assistant is probably the most commonly used self-hosted home automation platform, but plenty of people also use Homebridge either on its own or along side Home Assistant, same goes for Node-Red.

For a home NAS most people are on TrueNAS Core/Scale, or they're on unRAID (not open-source). Both allow you to run something like Home Assistant either as a container or a VM.

Also, if you haven't already, check the NAS megathread and the Self-hosted megathread. Between those threads and the folks in here you should be able to get answers for all this stuff.

Not exactly what you were looking for but hopefully that's a good jumping off point on a lot of this stuff.

PoE is intuitively what I want to go with, I just wasn't sure if that was the standard for home stuff (it definitely is for enterprise stuff). Is there a good "beginners guide to positioning & aiming cameras" somewhere (I may just bug the person who does it here)? The first big thing we want to do to the house is running CAT6 (maybe CAT6E), and it feels like doing the cameras while we're doing everything else would be the best way to go.

Pricing out what I feel like I would need (three cameras, core, PoE switch, 8TB HDD and a rack) puts it at $3700? Seems high, but I guess this sort of poo poo is expensive. Also, is Unifi going to stop working if they shut down their cloud store or anything, or is it fully on-prem stuff (sorry, I *really* haven't kept up with consumer network stuff over the last few years)?

EDIT: Just re-read, and noticed you just said you use their cameras; looks like you do your own on the switch/DVR; about how much did that run you? I feel like 3-4 cameras should cover us, but for that a 24-port PoE switch seems like serious overkill; I was gonna look at grabbing a surplus switch from my work for most of the stuff in the house, is there a nice six-port PoE switch for home use somewhere that goes for less than $700?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Homebridge will maybe get your local camera system to be displayed in Apple HomeKit. There’s some additional automation you can do, but Homebridge’s main purpose is to force unsupported stuff into Apple’s ecosystem.

I don’t run them, but it seems Unifi is one of the most popular local security systems. Home assistant or maybe even Homebridge could possibly cloud it for you.
Is there an Android equivalent for Homebridge? Is that what Home Assistant is?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 13, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

PoE is intuitively what I want to go with, I just wasn't sure if that was the standard for home stuff (it definitely is for enterprise stuff). Is there a good "beginners guide to positioning & aiming cameras" somewhere (I may just bug the person who does it here)? The first big thing we want to do to the house is running CAT6 (maybe CAT6E), and it feels like doing the cameras while we're doing everything else would be the best way to go.

Pricing out what I feel like I would need (three cameras, core, PoE switch, 8TB HDD and a rack) puts it at $3700? Seems high, but I guess this sort of poo poo is expensive. Also, is Unifi going to stop working if they shut down their cloud store or anything, or is it fully on-prem stuff (sorry, I *really* haven't kept up with consumer network stuff over the last few years)?

EDIT: Just re-read, and noticed you just said you use their cameras; looks like you do your own on the switch/DVR; about how much did that run you? I feel like 3-4 cameras should cover us, but for that a 24-port PoE switch seems like serious overkill; I was gonna look at grabbing a surplus switch from my work for most of the stuff in the house, is there a nice six-port PoE switch for home use somewhere that goes for less than $700?

Is there an Android equivalent for Homebridge? Is that what Home Assistant is?

Home assistant is significantly more powerful than homebridge. Home assistant is a full automation platform that has extreme compatibility.

They serve two different functions. Home bridge is meant to add HomeKit (Apple’s home ecosystem) support to non-supported devices. Home assistant is meant to be a standalone platform that can interface with almost all modern OS.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

, is there a nice six-port PoE switch for home use somewhere that goes for less than $700?

I mean surplus from work is good but if you're doing Unifi, Ubiquiti makes a "Lite" switch that's 8 ports (4 POE) that's like $100. I use one of those at home. And they make an 8 port POE for like $200. These are smaller form factor, kind of around the size of a NUC.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Tyro posted:

I mean surplus from work is good but if you're doing Unifi, Ubiquiti makes a "Lite" switch that's 8 ports (4 POE) that's like $100. I use one of those at home. And they make an 8 port POE for like $200. These are smaller form factor, kind of around the size of a NUC.

Yeah, I have two of their Switch 8 units that I got used off eBay for like $75 each that run three cameras and three access points. If you want to rack mount it there's a dude on Etsy that 3d prints adapters for basically any combination of Unfi gear.

You theoretically only need their cloud service for the initial setup. Once you're past the set up you can create a local account and it should work just fine locally, the cloud stuff just makes remote management a bit easier. No guarantees it'll stay that way though, they used to let you self host their NVR software on whatever, now you have to run it on their hardware (Cloudkey Gen2+, Dream Machine Pro, or UNVR).

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 13, 2023

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

Unifi is a premium but theres also RTSP/ONVIF cameras from major brands like HIKVISION and Dauha which i dont use due to personal values. HIKVision is high end between the two brands.

I personally use Reolink they are okay but their variable frame rate stuff messes around with FFMPEG when using Frigate. I am not sure if blueiris is better with this camera. Reolink does have NVRs and the system can be disconnected from the internet and still function.
If you do go for reolink get the POE models, Wifi is not stable, and battery powered devices do not support RTSP/ONVIF.

For alarms - i want to get monitoring so i am using Ring alarm, its a Zwave system. They are now charging a fee for basic arm/disarm if you dont get professional monitoring.
there are monitoring options that are API based that you can build a custom solution out of using home assistant.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay, old owners left an XFinity system. I don't suppose it's easy/possible to just alter that system to use for non-Xfinity purposes?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Does anyone have an obvious solution as to why my sunrise/sunset google home automations aren't firing? They're new, and never have, so I'm at a loss as to what to check.

I can try setting them up via the Kasa app, but i'd rather not fracture my setup like that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 16, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Deviant posted:

Does anyone have an obvious solution as to why my sunrise/sunset google home automations aren't firing? They're new, and never have, so I'm at a loss as to what to check.

I can try setting them up via the Kasa app, but i'd rather not fracture my setup like that.

Are they ever going to be changed? If not it’s easier sometimes just to set it in the native app. You can typically even delete the app and they’ll keep running.

Otherwise do you have some kind of hub for google home that can send that command to the Kasa stuff?

Just as a sanity check this is how to set a google home routine for Kasa plugs https://reddit.com/r/googlehome/s/L5qiZ8g0rW

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

Okay, old owners left an XFinity system. I don't suppose it's easy/possible to just alter that system to use for non-Xfinity purposes?

I believe the xfinity sensors are zigbee.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Warning for apple HomeKit with iPad as border gateway users, iOS 17 will make automations stop working after the update. I'm having to move them to google home since i don't have any plan to get a HomePod or Apple TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought they removed the ability for an iPad to be a Home hub back in iOS 16?

It's a horrible idea to have a battery-operated device be the hub for all your devices and automations anyway, so that was a good change.