Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The genophage seems like it was portrayed pretty wildly differently from scene to scene. Where the game treated it often like it was near total sterility but then also realized they had to explain how there could be so many krogans around and realizing that meant it had to have a pretty minor effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Drifter posted:

So tell me again why the races sent out the arks? There are more planets than they know what to do with left in the original galaxy - they haven't colonized them all.

They took the arks but it's not like anyone was running out of room.

Scientific achievement and curiosity not enough? That's more or less what got us to the moon and (hopefully) to mars at some point in the near future. Sometimes its ok to do things just because its rad as hell.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kavak posted:

Has the Krogan presence been explained yet?

The Thing just loves to fight.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

"A skilled soldier with N7 ranking and a talented scientist, Alec Ryder was a member of the original task force who traveled through the Charon mass relay."

"SAM is an artificial intelligence designed by our Pathfinder himself."

If you squint at the little blurb during the SAM portion of the video, it mentions that Ellen Ryder designed the interface implants, and has experience with designing Bio-Amps.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The genophage seems like it was portrayed pretty wildly differently from scene to scene. Where the game treated it often like it was near total sterility but then also realized they had to explain how there could be so many krogans around and realizing that meant it had to have a pretty minor effect.

I feel like stillbirthing more than 900 children before you see a viable one would probably crush your spirit tbh.

It also helps to remember that the Krogan are dwindling but at one point literally occupied as many planets as the rest of the Council species put together (pre-Turians) and they can live for more than a thousand years. The Krogan rebellion, and genophage, is literally within living memory for a huge chunk of them.

Wrex predates the genophage, for instance, and literally fought in the Krogan rebellion. And he's not the only one.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I always interpreted it as a difference in perspective, its easy for salarians and turians to say its not a sterility plague and just normalizes the krogan birth rate but they don't live in the reality of hundreds of corpses born to hopeful mothers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I for one unless for some reason the krogan is on the ark because he "doesnt like to fight" will always if possible have a fellow rip and tear companion at all times really. gotta go hard :black101:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tayvaan posted:

I always interpreted it as a difference in perspective, its easy for salarians and turians to say its not a sterility plague and just normalizes the krogan birth rate but they don't live in the reality of hundreds of corpses born to hopeful mothers.

But imagine all the viable omelets you could eat!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The way I understand it, is that if the Krogans actually put work into rebuilding their culture they would be a thriving species(With a gigantic pile of stillbirths, which is still horrifying and demoralizing), but since they were uplifted and didn't really have a chance to create a culture of their own, all they really know is conquering and fighting. Wrex and Eve could have probably put something together even without the genophage cure, but with it who knows what will happen. Likely no one because there are too many variables to make any game past 3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurieg posted:

The way I understand it, is that if the Krogans actually put work into rebuilding their culture they would be a thriving species(With a gigantic pile of stillbirths, which is still horrifying and demoralizing), but since they were uplifted and didn't really have a chance to create a culture of their own, all they really know is conquering and fighting. Wrex and Eve could have probably put something together even without the genophage cure, but with it who knows what will happen. Likely no one because there are too many variables to make any game past 3.

Well, to be fair, they got to the nuclear age at one point and then nuked the poo poo out of themselves. The only Krogan who managed to pull through and survive the next few thousand years were all afflicted with the 'blood rage', which was a condition that was considered a mental illness you had to be locked away before the bombs.

Then the Salarians uplifted them about two thousand years later when they'd regressed back to tribal clans and hunting/gathering in the ruins of their old civilization. You can see a lot of it on Tuchanka during Grunt's loyalty and in ME3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It would be interesting if the krogan who came to Andromeda came not because they want to lose themselves in a new galaxy of death fixation, but because they want to make a clean break from the "fight, die, fight, die; we can replace you with a thousand more!" culture. They can have a long lasting place, but they very much have to abandon tradition.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I never liked how compressed the timeline is from first contact to present day ME1. Like humanities first contact with the turians is in 2157, and the events of the first ME begins in 2183. That is such a short amount of time for humanity to spread through the galaxy and gain colossal influence within the council races. Like everyone over 30 predates the first contact, which just seems ridiculous.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Olaf The Stout posted:

I never liked how compressed the timeline is from first contact to present day ME1. Like humanities first contact with the turians is in 2157, and the events of the first ME begins in 2183. That is such a short amount of time for humanity to spread through the galaxy and gain colossal influence within the council races. Like everyone over 30 predates the first contact, which just seems ridiculous.

Yeah, it's a little weird seeing it compressed like that considering human's first contact with Turians was not a peaceful one but soon after it was like, "hey, you guys are OK, have a Mass Effect reactor" and go from there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not that bad in the first game, but the 2 year time jump in ME2 sees a ludicrous jump in human expansion.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not that bad in the first game, but the 2 year time jump in ME2 sees a ludicrous jump in human expansion.

They joined the Council, which I guess gave them the rights to colonize goddamn everything? You'd think the other races would have first dibs.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
IIRC humans had colonization rights for a shitload of decent planets in dangerous areas because the council was like "gently caress the Batarians" and "ya'll seem scrappy enough, go for it nerds".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kesper North posted:

Do you suppose there are camels in that galaxy?

We might not see any camels but I expect we'll see a fair number of camel toes.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Admiral Ray posted:

Huh. What did Bioware say was the motivation? It strikes me as odd that humans would get an ark ship without being a council race.

Humans are the founders of the project and in command of it. The council races are tagging along with them, not the other way around.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Galaxy at War map from ME3 always bothered me.

Humanity is almost half as big as the entirety of council space.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Veotax posted:

The Galaxy at War map from ME3 always bothered me.

Humanity is almost half as big as the entirety of council space.

Yeah but it's like Canada. Big but mostly empty.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

So tell me again why the races sent out the arks? There are more planets than they know what to do with left in the original galaxy - they haven't colonized them all.

They took the arks but it's not like anyone was running out of room.

My understanding is the other 90% of the Mikly Way is gated by Mass Relays and the Concil has heavy restrictions on opening new Relays because that was how the Rachni Wars started. It's also why the Turians shot at humans; they were opening Relays wily nily (they call it the Relay 314 Incident or something while humans call it the First Contact War)

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 27, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

My understanding is the other 90% of the Mikly Way is gated by Mass Relays and the Concil has heavy restrictions on opening new Relays because that was how the Rachni Wars started. It's also why the Turians shot at humans; they were opening Relays wily nily (they call it the Relay 314 Incident or something while humans call it the First Contact War)

SO instead of going further through the milky way to explore and whatever they shoot outwards to a whole new galaxy over 600 years? Like, that's weird. Really weird.

There's no Mass Effect system out where they're fliying to.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drifter posted:

"The what? OH poo poo, call EA and tell 'em we need another 3 months!"

Alternatively you use regular FTL and explore a comparatively small slice of Andromeda.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 27, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lobok posted:

and full of bears

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

SO instead of going further through the milky way to explore and whatever they shoot outwards to a whole new galaxy over 600 years? Like, that's weird. Really weird.

I guess Andromeda is so far away that any potential hostile species like the Rachni can't make its way back to the Milky Way for a very long time?

I mean you know the real reason this is in another galaxy: they want to start new, away from the original trilogy and the endings as far as possible

Kavak posted:

"The what? OH poo poo, call EA and tell 'em we need another 3 months!"

Alternatively you use regular FTL and explore a comparatively small slice of Andromeda.

Yeah, the game takes place in one Cluster

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If they don't open relays because they're scared they could unleash something unknown like the Rachni, going to the next galaxy over could be even scarier - you might draw the attention of existing cross-galactic civilizations, or else lose galactic-crossing technology to who-knows-what on the other side and in 600 years they're launching an invasion of their own right back at you!

I assume the ~real reasons~ behind the Andromeda Initiative will be one of the game's mysteries, probably one of the things dear old dad knew about and doesn't share before he bites it. It might be more interesting if the main story doesn't really revolve around stuff from the old games, like the Reapers or a Neo-Cerberus plot, and also can keep the story focused on just the people on the expedition and the Andromedans rather than the villain scheming some way to destroy the Earth. Leave the Milky Way behind and focus on exploring a new galaxy and telling new stories in it.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I can only hope Clancy Brown's final words will be "what, you thought this whole project was for shits and giggles? There were giant evil space cuddlefish coming to loving kill every one of us, that's why we left"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean you know the real reason this is in another galaxy: they want to start new, away from the original trilogy and the endings as far as possible

There's something ironic from a meta/storytelling perspective about the plot of ME3 being saving humanity, Earth and the galaxy, and the ending being such a clusterfuck that the next game has to take place on a life-raft of human survivors the next galaxy over. The Milky Way was messed up so badly by ME3 that it's no longer narratively viable, which for a fictional world is as good as dead.

It makes no difference to this game or the future of the Mass Effect series whether Shepard and friends won or lost. The refusal ending is perfectly valid for ME:A, hell even the Indoctrination Theory would be. I wonder if the game will end with some kind of reestablishing contact with Earth? 600 years is long enough that they can smooth out the differences in the endings a little if only for a conversation, just have Liara get on the phone because she's Space President now to congratulate everyone for their hard work.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Dolash posted:

I assume the ~real reasons~ behind the Andromeda Initiative will be one of the game's mysteries, probably one of the things dear old dad knew about and doesn't share before he bites it. It might be more interesting if the main story doesn't really revolve around stuff from the old games, like the Reapers or a Neo-Cerberus plot, and also can keep the story focused on just the people on the expedition and the Andromedans rather than the villain scheming some way to destroy the Earth. Leave the Milky Way behind and focus on exploring a new galaxy and telling new stories in it.

From the briefing materials, the Andromeda Initiative was founded in 2176, well in advance of ME1 or any open knowledge of the Reapers, and they make a point that the (original) Pathfinder was one of the first humans to ever go through a Mass Relay. There aren't really many reasons to assume the mission being legitimately one of exploration shouldn't be taken at face value.

Lobok posted:

And also virtually undefended. Humans having more colonies than they have the ability to actually defend is kind of the main deal in ME2 and why anybody gives Cerberus the time of day

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Olaf The Stout posted:

I was generally fine with it until Zaeed started the Blue Suns. That was a step too far for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

I was generally fine with it until Zaeed started the Blue Suns. That was a step too far for me.

Zaeed's been loving Asari prostitutes for so long that some of their longevity has rubbed off onto him.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

I'm actually really curious, and concerned, that we're just going to get the same old krogan bullshit that we've had for three games now. Unless this new Krogan is somehow a gentle giant or whatever.

How about a Krogan Vanguard, or how about a godamn Vanguard teammate.

It's like Vanguards were the canonical class for ME3 because they would barely exist otherwise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

How about a Krogan Vanguard, or how about a godamn Vanguard teammate.

It's like Vanguards were the canonical class for ME3 because they would barely exist otherwise.

I feel like the ME games were about the player controlling the teammates when they wanted stuff to happen, and not necessarily abotu the teammates doing dope poo poo on their own. Besides, as awesome as vanguards are, on any difficulty beyond Easy you are going to have to babysit your vanguard teammate like a motherfucker, or else they're gonna die. If they don't die, then they'd kill all the enemies while you're busy looking for a wall to take cover behind.

Either way doesn't sound fun. And it'd be pretty hard to keep that teammate directly in the fray so you could do cool power explosions together.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Man, the character faces look janky as gently caress.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
About to start a final play through of the original trilogy again, what's the best planet order to do the first game in so I can pass that super high paragon check with the guy holding the gun to the daughters head on the planet with the god plant.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lycus posted:

Nah, it just adds to his character that within three years of first contact and introduction to galactic society, Zaeed loving Massani decides to form a goddamn space merc company filled with the worst scumbags the galaxy has to offer.

Anyway, that trailer gave me a nice, cosy ME2 vibe, mixed with a dash of Ulysses 31. All it needs is a kickass opening credits song and we're set.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Biodome posted:

About to start a final play through of the original trilogy again, what's the best planet order to do the first game in so I can pass that super high paragon check with the guy holding the gun to the daughters head on the planet with the god plant.

Noveria just long enough to exploit the dumb turian then do whatever you want whenever you want.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just do Feros last, it's trivial to max your charm/intimidate in ME1. Or exploit the turian cheat, yeah.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Seemlar posted:

From the briefing materials, the Andromeda Initiative was founded in 2176, well in advance of ME1 or any open knowledge of the Reapers, and they make a point that the (original) Pathfinder was one of the first humans to ever go through a Mass Relay. There aren't really many reasons to assume the mission being legitimately one of exploration shouldn't be taken at face value.

Lmao is that for real??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Why couldn't this mission have been launched during ME3? It'd be gone well before the endings caused anything. Or they could just say "Select people knew the Reapers were real and took it upon themselves to preserve their civilizations" and we'd accept the early launch.