Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Toys Were Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Nice.

Also, Walgreen's and Albertson's are eating Rite-Aid

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
wait wait i got this

Wrong-Aid

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My mother worked for TRU for over 10 years in two states as a CSR (the person who manages and schedules all the cashiers) and when we moved to Alaska they told she could start at min wage.

So good. gently caress em.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

wait wait i got this

Wrong-Aid

Better than anything I came up with, tbh. Best I got was Rite-Unpaid Bills, which sucks.

Anyway, the Rite-Aid by me sells booze as well as normal drug store things. Because of my city's Byzantine liquor licensing and blue laws, they're not able to sell any as it transitions into Walgreen's; the wine and liquor aisle is roped off, and the beer section has padlocked fridges and tarps. Apparently the staff has been getting screamed at by neighborhood drunks on an hourly basis, day after day. I really hope the switch-over goes quickly, for the sake of all involved.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

big trivia FAIL posted:

That's depressing. As a weird old, I actually like physically going to the toy store and Christmas/Birthday shopping for my kid. Also, it's fun to take them on a rainy Saturday. I remember when I was a kid Toys R Us was like this magical wonderland, and my son sees it the same way. Going to Wal*Mart or Target just isn't the same at all.

Toys R Us fell on a weird place on the childhood magic scale. Like it's not like the lego store are hamleys or something where everything is crazy displays and interactive art and fancy product showcases. It's kinda just laid out like a staples or something that just happens to be more whimsical because they sell something more fun. Like it was the most soulless way to present products, but like, a big bin of balls is inherently more "fun" than a big bin of blank CDs or something.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Toys R Us fell on a weird place on the childhood magic scale. Like it's not like the lego store are hamleys or something where everything is crazy displays and interactive art and fancy product showcases. It's kinda just laid out like a staples or something that just happens to be more whimsical because they sell something more fun. Like it was the most soulless way to present products, but like, a big bin of balls is inherently more "fun" than a big bin of blank CDs or something.

This is spoken by someone who was never inside KB Toys. TRU was loving toy valhalla compared to that.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Crow Jane posted:

This is spoken by someone who was never inside KB Toys. TRU was loving toy valhalla compared to that.

FAO Schwarz was toy valhalla :colbert:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

I think chain toy stores struggle to keep any sense of wonder beyond what just having a large pile of toys inherently would. The bigger a chain gets the more it's just toys on shelves and nothing beyond that

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think chain toy stores struggle to keep any sense of wonder beyond what just having a large pile of toys inherently would. The bigger a chain gets the more it's just toys on shelves and nothing beyond that

But at least Toys r Us had like, up-to-date toys. The KB in the mall I went to had New Kids on the Block dolls at full price well into the '00s

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

That's depressing. As a weird old, I actually like physically going to the toy store and Christmas/Birthday shopping for my kid. Also, it's fun to take them on a rainy Saturday. I remember when I was a kid Toys R Us was like this magical wonderland, and my son sees it the same way. Going to Wal*Mart or Target just isn't the same at all.

Going to FAO Schwarz in the 80's as a kid was a loving magical experience. My father was a cop and my mom is a school teacher so we weren't high end, but one year they took me and my baby sister down there during the holidays to see the tree and go to that store and that meant the world to me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Crow Jane posted:

The KB Toy Works in Pittsfield, Massachusetts (also the company's HQ!) was awesome. Toy Works were more like TRU's than the Mall KBs though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hand Row posted:

They have "executive experience" and will move to a non retail company.

That’s what I hate about those jobs. Once you get a hookup and get it on your resume, you can keep getting high powered jobs like that forever even if you’re a retard.

I have mixed feelings about TRU. On the one hand yeah, that was an exciting place as a kid. On the other, my parents and dad in particular hated getting us stuff from place like this, even on holidays and birthdays, and let us know passive aggressively if not aggressively. I still feel the shame and guilt every time I pass a toy store. But that’s a matter for E/N.

It’s also a little hosed up that you can feel nostalgic about a store. I get that way about CompUSA and how Fry`s used to be. It’s the most consumerist thing ever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

particle9 posted:

Crow Jane posted:

Well both of those things were bought and killed (or killed and then bought) by Toys R Us as it turns out. :shrug:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

particle9 posted:

A childhood dream that was never fulfilled. Oh well, I can always live vicariously through this wonderful 1980s blockbuster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7-rz9nIn4

skooma512 posted:

I have mixed feelings about TRU. On the one hand yeah, that was an exciting place as a kid. On the other, my parents and dad in particular hated getting us stuff from place like this, even on holidays and birthdays, and let us know passive aggressively if not aggressively. I still feel the shame and guilt every time I pass a toy store. But that’s a matter for E/N.

And then your dad would drag you out on one of his lame-o fishing trips and you'd sit in the boat the whole time letting him know passive aggressively how much that outing SUCKED.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i lived in the country far from the nearest toys'r'us and my dad used to tantalise me with stories of this mystical shangri-la full of plastic magic and actual real live pokemon, then whenever i was visiting him in the city and asked to go there he'd refuse because it gave him a migraine and he is fey. this was actually a good tactic, because instead of being disillusioned by reality i got to live with the dream of a toys'r'us that existed only in my imagination, and in my imagination it was this incredible place, the disneyland of gadgets and wonder that one day - if i was very good and followed the teachings of the lord - i might win the privilege of visiting. i didn't get to go to the actual store until i was like 15 and of course it was a huge disappointment but that's what being a teenager is all about

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i took myself there btw, by that time dad had moved to new zealand to prepare for doomsday

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Domestic Amuse posted:

And then your dad would drag you out on one of his lame-o fishing trips and you'd sit in the boat the whole time letting him know passive aggressively how much that outing SUCKED.

Lol, fishing would require :effort:

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

wait wait i got this

Wrong-Aid

Rite Laid

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Rite Fadeawayintothesunset

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rite stay in business solely for the ice cream.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skooma512 posted:

Rite stay in business solely for the ice cream.

Okay let’s go with this.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Kinda want to drive to rite aid and buy some ice cream now. Dammit.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Is Rite-aid known for ice cream? The one by me has like a couple freezer burnt pints of Ben and Jerry's, but that's it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Actually Rite Aid has really good prices on beer. Like even some local stuff for the west coast is cheaper at Rite Aid than other places.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

Is Rite-aid known for ice cream? The one by me has like a couple freezer burnt pints of Ben and Jerry's, but that's it.

They acquired Thrifty, which sold awesome ice cream, and some of those old locations still have ice cream service in-store. They also sell prepacked boxes.

It’s the poo poo.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
[

Edit: NVM, I think I got the gist. :(

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 15, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

eyebeem posted:

They acquired Thrifty, which sold awesome ice cream, and some of those old locations still have ice cream service in-store. They also sell prepacked boxes.

It’s the poo poo.

They had 2 boxes of ice cream for like 5 bucks a month ago. Like holy poo poo dude. I gained a couple pounds for that alone probably.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Domestic Amuse posted:

A childhood dream that was never fulfilled. Oh well, I can always live vicariously through this wonderful 1980s blockbuster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7-rz9nIn4

not to derail the thread but this movie features a real weird instance of statutory rape that's never addressed

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

not to derail the thread but this movie features a real weird instance of statutory rape that's never addressed

I feel like un-adressed statutory rape is kind of Tom Hanks favorite after watching Forest Gump.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Actually Rite Aid has really good prices on beer. Like even some local stuff for the west coast is cheaper at Rite Aid than other places.

Wait, you can buy beer at a pharmacy in the US?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

PT6A posted:

Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS are more like higher priced Dollar Generals with a pharmacy in the back

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I don't have a lot of pity for Toys R Us. They did a spectacular job at not selling toys.

Back in 1995, Kenner/Hasbro re-launched the Star Wars action figure line that had run from 1978-1985. It was a huge success with so many 20 year old nerds like myself liking the product and having disposable income. Hasbro quickly realized the had a license to print money and produced the poo poo out of those figures. Like 7-10 new figures at $5-$8 each every quarter or so. Wal-mart and Target were completely on board and regularly (like every 2-3 weeks) got new product in. Living in the metro Denver area from 1995-2012 and having access to 3-4 Toys R Us stores regularly in that timeframe, I'd say the average store only received new product every 6-8 weeks. All stores would have empty shelve space for months at a time.

That's just failing basic retailing at a fundamental level to say nothing about ignoring this "collector customer" group (which went beyond just Star Wars). To be fair, a minor portion of "collectors" were (and still are) assholes, but anyone with an ounce of business acumen would have asked, "How can we extract the maximum amount of money from these guys?" and at least tried to do things like special orders, pre-orders, etc. and could have created a brand loyalty beyond parents and grandparents.

Good riddance, Toys R Us.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

big trivia FAIL posted:

Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS are more like higher priced Dollar Generals with a pharmacy in the back

Yeah, same with drug stores in Canada, but they still aren't allowed to sell cigarettes or booze. Even normal grocery stores that contain a pharmacy cannot sell tobacco. Grocery stores also can't sell booze in most provinces regardless of whether they have pharmacies or not.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Like everything in the US, it depends on the state.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
In GA, you can buy not just beer, but wine at drug stores. Just no spirits.

Why yes, we DO have endemic problems with alcoholism, thanks for asking!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

I think it’s also important to note that many pharmacies basically double as the corner shop/convenience store. You could do very basic grocery shopping at 99% of pharmacies in the US.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Even on the city or town. The Rite Aid by me sells all sorts of booze, but it's the only one in the area that does, because liquor licenses come with the address here (and are otherwise difficult to acquire) and I think the space was a bar at some point. The new owners decided to keep it going, because there are a lot of drunks in the area and they smelled revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

^^^e: That is a terrible system.

PT6A posted:

That's not really unique to the US though. US drug stores are basically identical to German drogerie markts, except that ours have the pharmacy/apothecary/chemist attached.