Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

Everything is bad and were all going to die because a bunch of greedy oil and mineral execs have a strangle hold on our entire political apparatus.

I think I need to take a break from CanPol until I get checked for depression because this poo poo is really not helping me any more.

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure most people who actually read the most recent climate change projection for +2°C come away thinking "Well, that's gonna suck for a lot of people but at least rich developed countries will be able to handle it". We'll most assuredly miss the two degree targets by a bit but our current economic and political system is likely to survive because, in my books, migration will provide the impetus for (re)construction and also the population growth necessary to keep things moving despite the global collapse in birth rates.

Time'll tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

These are brilliant.

I've been tapped for mock debates and I'm getting a good grip on the Green and NDP platforms. Essentially the Greens is "electric cars and solar panel cottages" and the NDP is "GND-lite with slightly more ambitious targets than Trudeau"

Interested in doing writeups for the election OP?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

James Baud posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure most people who actually read the most recent climate change projection for +2°C come away thinking "Well, that's gonna suck for a lot of people but at least rich developed countries will be able to handle it". We'll most assuredly miss the two degree targets by a bit but our current economic and political system is likely to survive because, in my books, migration will provide the impetus for (re)construction and also the population growth necessary to keep things moving despite the global collapse in birth rates.

Time'll tell!

The problem isn't middle to affluent class goons surviving a 2 degree increase. The problem is precisely the political system surviving, because given our current track record, we won't be welcoming migrants, we'll be electing Trumps, Bolsonaros, Scheers and Berniers in an attempt to close our borders to climate refugees. Anyone with a shred of empathy wants to avoid this coming climate catastrophe, but the stranglehold the capitalist elites have over the current system makes it impossible to do anything or build any momentum.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

vyelkin posted:

Interested in doing writeups for the election OP?

I'm booked until Sunday night. I can help after that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
He'll answer the butter chicken question with a string of nonsensical political babble that has nothing to do with the question.

Also, jfc :negative:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what the gently caress

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

We're doomed but everyone already knew that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Conservative shitheads no show a poverty debate. Plain as day they do not care about anyone except those with money.

https://twitter.com/CBCManitoba/status/1164132711881199617

But their base doesn't give a gently caress. FYGM to the extreme.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
I was recently on a flight with Jagmeet from Vancouver to Calgary. The guy sat in first class for a one-hour flight.

Just seemed a bit strange to me when Warren and Sanders are getting so much positive press in the States for riding in coach on their flights. You would think that the NDP would be all over that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I was recently on a flight with Jagmeet from Vancouver to Calgary. The guy sat in first class for a one-hour flight.

Just seemed a bit strange to me when Warren and Sanders are getting so much positive press in the States for riding in coach on their flights. You would think that the NDP would be all over that.

Friend if you're expecting competence from the NDP, uh, I've got some bad news for you

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's very possible he bought an economy ticket and got upgraded :shrug:

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's very possible he bought an economy ticket and got upgraded :shrug:

Absolutely. To be clear, I wouldn't begrudge him for spending his own money on a first-class ticket. It's just the optics of sitting separate from the peasants that I thought the NDP would want to avoid.

vyelkin posted:

Friend if you're expecting competence from the NDP, uh, I've got some bad news for you

You're right! My expectations were way too high.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Conservative shitheads no show a poverty debate. Plain as day they do not care about anyone except those with money.

That headline is slightly misleading. "No-show" implies (to me anyway) that that the Conservatives agreed to attend, and then didn't show up the day of. The article suggests that the Conservatives declined to attend well in advance, citing other commitments. It still doesn't look great, though - I agree with you on that.

I also agree that most of the voterbase won't care. However, I don't think it's for lack of empathy - rather a lack of trust in the unknown. The vast majority of Conservative voters I have met are kind and generous. However, they tend to be more invested in friends and family rather than groups of people they have never met. A debate about "poverty" won't interest most Conservatives - they don't know the "impoverished" and likely assume that it's just a group of people looking for a hand out. Conversely, if you told a group of Conservatives that three of their neighbours couldn't afford to eat dinner, you would likely have a captive audience.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vintersorg posted:

They pull this poo poo everywhere.

Don't even trust their own candidates to stay on message so they just don't show up to debates or anything where they can be filmed saying a bad thing.

Sadly it works for them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
They did the same thing last election and ended up with more then 50% of votes so

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I also agree that most of the voterbase won't care. However, I don't think it's for lack of empathy - rather a lack of trust in the unknown. The vast majority of Conservative voters I have met are kind and generous. However, they tend to be more invested in friends and family rather than groups of people they have never met. A debate about "poverty" won't interest most Conservatives - they don't know the "impoverished" and likely assume that it's just a group of people looking for a hand out. Conversely, if you told a group of Conservatives that three of their neighbours couldn't afford to eat dinner, you would likely have a captive audience.

That still sounds like a lack of empathy to me

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
yup

saw something similar in the last alberta election.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

That still sounds like a lack of empathy to me

Empathy is the ability to understand and share feelings of another. As stated, most of the Conservatives I have met have that ability and demonstrate it regularly - but it doesn't tend to extend to ubiquitous groups of the unknown.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A poster on reddit kept calling them Regressive Conservatives and I liked that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Whiskey_Dick posted:

Empathy is the ability to understand and share feelings of another. As stated, most of the Conservatives I have met have that ability and demonstrate it regularly - but it doesn't tend to extend to ubiquitous groups of the unknown.

Yeah, small-circle vs large-circle kindness. Conservatives are most definitely the former - if you're not a member of their tribe, there's no reason to get involved or assist. It's frustrating, because these people who nominally perform charitable acts use that as a "I'm a nice person" fig leaf when opposing wide scale systemic progressive change.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whiskey_Dick posted:

Absolutely. To be clear, I wouldn't begrudge him for spending his own money on a first-class ticket. It's just the optics of sitting separate from the peasants that I thought the NDP would want to avoid.

You're right! My expectations were way too high.

Is there even "first class" on most domestic flights in Canada? Seems like its usually business and economy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm booked until Sunday night. I can help after that

I probably won't get the thread up until Sunday anyway, so if you're willing I'm happy to at the very least edit in and link to what you write.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/aballinga/status/1164228297661788160

???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wow, way to stick to your guns there Mrs. May. Wouldn't want to inadvertently hold an opinion or something.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

zapplez posted:

Is there even "first class" on most domestic flights in Canada? Seems like its usually business and economy.

You're right - it was Air Canada so it was technically business class. They were beyond the little curtain, though.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

zapplez posted:

Business is first class.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canadian airlines only have 2 classes: middle class and those working hard to fly middle class.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like that its called business class because it's a good reminder that it's an absurd expense that's a waste of money/out of reach for most people unless you're billing it to a corporate card.

There's lots of things that are only kept afloat by corporate buyers, but I have a particular distaste for products that kind of have the illusion of being consumed by individual consumers but are predominantly only bought by corporate bank accounts. Business class seats and high end arena tickets come to mind.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 21, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

I like that its called business class because it's a good reminder that it's an absurd expense that's a waste of money/out of reach for most people unless you're billing it to a corporate card.

There's lots of things that are only kept afloat by corporate buyers, but I have a particular distaste for products that kind of have the illusion of being consumed by individual consumers but are predominantly only bought by corporate bank accounts. Business class seats and high end arena tickets come to mind.

It's also a nice reminder that our society privileges business above all else.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Canadian airlines only have 2 classes: middle class and those working hard to fly middle class.

Not bad, but a little clunky. 8/10

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I flew business class once on United, got very drunk on lovely canned margaritas, ate a banana and watched DirectTV until we left US airspace and it cut out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Job mobility for temporary foreign workers would punish 'good employers,' hotel group says

:jerkbag:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's not slavery if we don't call it slavery.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reality Sinner posted:

Business is first class.

Paying 1100 for a ticket instead of 800 for a guy that might need more space to use a laptop or sleep between speeches isnt a crazy expense for a political leader. Paying 5000 for actual first class with sleeper beds and champagne would be silly. Especially since the NDP only raises like 42 dollars a year anyways.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 21, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

It's not slavery if we don't call it slavery.

No no of course not. It's indentured servitude. Completely different thing!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Lol why would employees leave good employers

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Just stop and actually think for a moment about how confident in their total control over society businesses have to be for their spokespeople to say those things openly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That reminds me, we need naan bread.