Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol apparently one of my best friends is in the middle of a lengthy surprise layover in Texas on his way to Mexico City for some sightseeing. I love him and hope he will be okay, but goddamn, talk about an optional problem.

Question for the thread, do you even bother talking about any of this poo poo any more? Not here, obviously, but with people in your lives. I notice I yell about it a lot when someone is unfortunate enough to be nearby, and sometimes I’ll be asked for information and I try really hard in those situations, but in a scenario like this, I just don’t bother. Bro in question is insanely well travelled and generally knows more than I do about the issues of the world on any given day, but covid seems like this massive blind spot that I don’t think I can do anything to remove.

I end up turning everything into a COVID discussion, I can't help myself, even though deep down I know there's no point because people are unwilling to make any changes or sacrifices. But it's kind of impossible not to because everything ultimately does connect to COVID (and people always start in with me too because my staying in is an affront to them, even from 3000 miles away).

The other day the anger/fear got the best of me and I reactivated my facebook to post a 4000 word rant / lecture, broken up into chunks, hoping to indirectly get through to my family by encroaching on my dad's facebook essay turf. The only thing that got a like was the part that said you can get COVID if you voted for Joe Biden, and it was from a libertarian lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OCey7z-18

Good news for everyone looking to hire freethinkers with anger issues!

Hi, i'm andy crapenschittz,

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

when I said "my in laws" I actually meant my wife's brother and his wife, not her parents.

these people are late 30/early 40s.

Sounds like my sister and brother in law. A couple weeks ago I telling my sister my potential plan to Max Titers the third dose, and my BIL must have detected a vague hesitancy because he grabbed the phone and lectured me that "the vaccines are safe and effective and our way out of this, and you're doing your civic duty by getting one. The more shots in arms, the better."

Like, completely divorced from context. It's like these people have a script.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
uhh, isn't covid literally the biggest killer of cops right now?

... why would they want this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
deaths in vt continue to be (mostly) among the elderly

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Homocow posted:

police dept leadership infiltrated by soros antifas

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

McNugget Buddy posted:

The data ends in early September before the Delta wave deaths had even peaked

if you go to the CDC source dashboard they say they're going to update it once a month but the data is already 2 months old lmao promises kept, biden

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Sounds like my sister and brother in law. A couple weeks ago I telling my sister my potential plan to Max Titers the third dose, and my BIL must have detected a vague hesitancy because he grabbed the phone and lectured me that "the vaccines are safe and effective and our way out of this, and you're doing your civic duty by getting one. The more shots in arms, the better."

Like, completely divorced from context. It's like these people have a script.

That is practically verbatim what they have famous people say on the vaccine commercials PSAs that they air during reruns on MeTV

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Homocow posted:

to own the libs bing bong

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Homocow posted:

the union benefits from not being able to add new requirements to the contract without negotiation etc

it's a really lovely misaligned incentives problem in this specific case!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Making me so angry seeing people in this thread test positive despite doing everything they possibly could to stay safe, and then seeing everyone upload pictures from Halloween parties last night. Just insane and infuriating juxtaposition.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Homocow posted:

cops are groyers and getting vaccinated makes you a cuck

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Polio is mostly passed by feces so anyplace with modern sanitation doesn't tend to get hit very badly.

Currently, the last holdouts for the polio vaxx are in Waziristan and Afghanistan, and there's a good chance that with the Taliban in charge doctors over in Qatar and Pakistan will be able to start getting needles in arms.

gently caress.
https://twitter.com/holnicoteNH/status/1452962051211636746

fosborb posted:

(accidentally sucks entire indoor viral load into my unvaccinated lungs with 100% accurate rate) alright. that's fine. heres why i think thats my freedoms, [14/88]

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Slider posted:

saw this while driving and thought of the covid thread. also the bro zone thread.

seems more suited for the plasticpill thread tbh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

If COVID is a problem, why do I have to go to work everyday and why is everything open as gently caress?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Polio is mostly passed by feces so anyplace with modern sanitation doesn't tend to get hit very badly.

Currently, the last holdouts for the polio vaxx are in Waziristan and Afghanistan, and there's a good chance that with the Taliban in charge doctors over in Qatar and Pakistan will be able to start getting needles in arms.

fun fact we would have eradicated polio except the fake vaxx for DNA scam the CIA ran to catch bin laden poisoned the well with everyone in the pakistan/afghanistan region with regards to vaccines.

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Making me so angry seeing people in this thread test positive despite doing everything they possibly could to stay safe, and then seeing everyone upload pictures from Halloween parties last night. Just insane and infuriating juxtaposition.

No sorry, covid is over

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

pigz posted:

Truth is the white house does not have the political skills to navigate those waters, but the complete neglect of their responsibilities is pretty infuriating.
why do goons keep doing this?

the white house has exactly the political skills required to handle the pandemic, and they have absolutely not neglected their responsibilities to their owners.

never forget who they actually serve and their actions make more sense.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

capitalism gives u the covid

capitalism saves u from the covid

see the economy is open, no more covid

:abuela:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Harik posted:

the white house has exactly the political skills required to handle the pandemic, and they have absolutely not neglected their responsibilities to their owners.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

but also there are idiots in the white house who drank the kool aid and actually believe all the dumb poo poo lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Harik posted:

give biden a chance, he's only been president for 30 days 2 months 3 months over 9 months

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Louisgod posted:

give biden a chance, he's only been president for 30 days 2 months 3 months over 9 months

sir thats not even a year

he just started!!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Seriously though, we need unvaccinated cops out there on the streets unmasked.

I want every cop to be exempt from mask mandates and every cop unvaccinated.

Blue lives ventilator

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Egg Moron posted:

Seriously though, we need unvaccinated cops out there on the streets unmasked.

I want every cop to be exempt from mask mandates and every cop unvaccinated.

Blue lives ventilator

The thin blue ECMO

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
idk this brandon guy better get his poo poo together, covids everywhere again

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
"everything is fine, there is no more covid *cough cough*" says the whitehouse press secretary (safely)

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Harik posted:

What makes u think capital doesnt want everyone vaccinated? Just dems won't be able to get it done they are b team

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

my head is not going to explode! :toot: my only medical thing left this year is my vaccine booster in a couple weeks. can't wait.

Congrats!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
My 90 year old grandma just got covid for the 2nd time lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

pigz posted:

What makes u think capital doesnt want everyone vaccinated? Just dems won't be able to get it done they are b team

the fact that large corporations are complying with vaxx mandates they could easily ignore is evidence enough that capital wants as many people vaxxed as possible and wamts to use the government as a scapegoat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Real Mean Queen posted:

Question for the thread, do you even bother talking about any of this poo poo any more? Not here, obviously, but with people in your lives. I notice I yell about it a lot when someone is unfortunate enough to be nearby, and sometimes I’ll be asked for information and I try really hard in those situations, but in a scenario like this, I just don’t bother. Bro in question is insanely well travelled and generally knows more than I do about the issues of the world on any given day, but covid seems like this massive blind spot that I don’t think I can do anything to remove.

at this point my assumption is that everyone's already locked into their position and nothing i say will change their mind about it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

at this point my assumption is that everyone's already locked into their position and nothing i say will change their mind about it

ya gotta nag at least a little, or how else can you position yourself to say "i told u so"???

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
hahaha the elites manufacturing consent for the end of the pandemic is just incredible to see in real time

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/what-americas-covid-goal-now/620572/?utm_source=feed

quote:

We know how this ends: The coronavirus becomes endemic, and we live with it forever. But what we don’t know—and what the U.S. seems to have no coherent plan for—is how we are supposed to get there. We’ve avoided the hard questions whose answers will determine what life looks like in the next weeks, months, and years: How do we manage the transition to endemicity? When are restrictions lifted? And what long-term measures do we keep, if any, when we reach endemicity?

The answers were simpler when we thought we could vaccinate our way to herd immunity. But vaccinations in the U.S. have plateaued. The Delta variant and waning immunity against transmission mean herd immunity may well be impossible even if every single American gets a shot. So when COVID-related restrictions came back with the Delta wave, we no longer had an obvious off-ramp to return to normal—are we still trying to get a certain percentage of people vaccinated? Or are we waiting until all kids are eligible? Or for hospitalizations to fall and stay steady? The path ahead is not just unclear; it’s nonexistent. We are meandering around the woods because we don’t know where to go.

What is clear, however, is that case numbers, the metric that has guided much of our pandemic thinking and still underlies CDC’s indoor-masking recommendation for vaccinated people, are becoming less and less useful. Even when we reach endemicity—when nearly everyone has baseline immunity from either infection or vaccination—the U.S. could be facing tens of millions of infections from the coronavirus every year, thanks to waning immunity and viral evolution. (For context, the flu, which is also endemic, sickens roughly 10 to 40 million Americans a year.) But with vaccines available, not every case of COVID-19 is created equal. Breakthrough cases are largely mild; 10,000 of them will cause only a fraction of the hospitalizations and deaths of 10,000 COVID cases in the unvaccinated. The more highly vaccinated a community is, the less tethered case numbers are to the reality of the virus’s impact.

lmfao get ready for testing to stop after this winter surge. blue maga will demand we stop all testing--why should we test anymore when we have vaccines that solve everything? if you're vaccinated and you get tested you a horrible person taking a valuable test away from poor people!!

there's a whole lot more garbage in that article lol. very good hate read

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mycomancy posted:

We also have a lot of highly educated people on here with backgrounds in data and life sciences. Some of us even have our diplomas framed on a wall!

lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Mandates were a nice idea while they lasted.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mod sassinator posted:

hahaha the elites manufacturing consent for the end of the pandemic is just incredible to see in real time

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/what-americas-covid-goal-now/620572/?utm_source=feed

lmfao get ready for testing to stop after this winter surge. blue maga will demand we stop all testing--why should we test anymore when we have vaccines that solve everything? if you're vaccinated and you get tested you a horrible person taking a valuable test away from poor people!!

there's a whole lot more garbage in that article lol. very good hate read

https://youtu.be/aN1eptTaWVM?t=25

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

pigz posted:

capital as a whole is pushed into vaccinations due to profit drive, but individual capitalists (captains of industry) are malthusean shitstains who want to murder a whole lot of surplus population.

also no need for workers OR consumers when you just make number go up by printing dollars and hoarding them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
COVID cases dropped to zero on January 1st 2022 :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lmao

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1455258984772997120