Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is the system shock remake only 4 gigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Is the system shock remake only 4 gigs?

It’s like 10 gigs installed on pc, so maybe download is 4? Those pixelated retro assets don’t take up much space I guess.

I haven’t played the new update/ending, but the remake was already in fantastic state at the start of the year.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The original was only like 30mb installed so it’s still a lot bigger than that dw

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's great, I probably won't have to delete anything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bugblatter posted:

Did you by any chance play the demo to say how it does or does not differ from the final full game?Or could you say if the sequence where your going through the snow on a steampunk bike with wounded guy, end up in a giant mill, hallucinate a giant abattoir, then run from a werewolf thing is representative of the general gameplay?

It's def not a game I'd play a demo of, personally, because it plays like a series of vignettes that focus on different things. There is some jank for sure (in the part you mention specifically), being a euro game and all, and it's designed more like a walk-and-talk in many instances rather than an action title. I think one of the things I respect most about it is that it's varied and takes risks, but not every vignette is equal in strength...even if it does tell a fully cohesive story. In the end you'll kind of have to be in the mood for a slow game that has a few rough edges.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, all the reviews I’m reading note the same strengths and weaknesses regardless of score. The positive ones say the game is a bit janky and unexceptional gameplay wise, but the narrative and presentation are incredible. The negative ones say the narrative and presentation are incredible, but the gameplay is a bit janky and frustrating, haha.

The negative ones aren’t even that harsh, just like 7/10 at worst. And the positive ones are 10/10, a unique and special gem in spite of flaws. I’ll probably check it out when I’m in the right mood.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"Oh boy I'm enjoying my playthrough of Elex, I bet I can beat it within a week. Janky, but enjoyable enough, glad I got it for free on the PS+ catalog. Oh, there are games being removed from that catalog on Tuesday? Wonder if there are any I am currently playing right this moment?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The real reason why these game subscription services suck, thought they were a good idea to save money but there's no guarantee anything will be on there when you actually want to play it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm going to post about Indika. This absolute gem of a 5-hour $25 videogame is on lock for my top 3 this year, probably edging out some much larger, fancier, more expensive and popular game.

You sold me on it. Also this art style is so striking; seen it on some old dvd covers. Any idea what its called?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm going to post about Indika. This absolute gem of a 5-hour $25 videogame is on lock for my top 3 this year, probably edging out some much larger, fancier, more expensive and popular game.

Very good writeup, thanks and added to my wishlist. I was curious why the game resonated so personally with you, since you mention you're not religious. Were you raised in this kind of setting, culturally or religiously? Sorry if this is in appropriate to ask. I was raised very religious (but not Russian Orthodox) so I am very interested in any games that grapple with that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP6714-PPSA06389_00-SYSTSHOCKREPS5US

System shock available now! $40

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can confirm mouse and keyboard support on PS5 but binding menu doesn't work properly (you can fully rebind the gamepad but keyboard keys don't rebind at all). If you use the default PC controls it works perfectly on console.

Edit: Mouse support is not fully patched in, works sometimes with the same setup I use to play Quake 2 and other games on PS5

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 21, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not quite done with it but I’m also really loving Indika. As a light puzzler/walking sim it’s just ok but the story/writing/creativity are all incredible. Some of the best writing I’ve seen in a game. Not like “good for a game” writing but actual good writing. The main characters are fantastic. Also the whole visual style is extremely unique and extremely my poo poo. There’s definitely nothing else out there like it and that goes beyond just the surreal stylistic choices. I think my favorite thing about the game though, is that it regularly touches on various subject matter that most games wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole, but it always has a sense of humor and humanity about it.

I’ll likely replay a second time in Russian, because that just seems like it would be cool. I love the English VAs though. They are fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bows1 posted:

You sold me on it. Also this art style is so striking; seen it on some old dvd covers. Any idea what its called?

It s a Criterion-like

Just kidding please no one repeat that or try to make that a thing

Sakurazuka posted:

The real reason why these game subscription services suck, thought they were a good idea to save money but there's no guarantee anything will be on there when you actually want to play it.

Yup. I want to play the game I want to play, when I want to play it. This seems to line up with a sub service about once a year for me at best. I think they are awesome in theory but in practice I see them as being more useful for someone with a family trying to save money and that’s about it. Games are far from cheap, but it’s not exactly a huge expense in life to just buy games either.

I always feel more guilty about the sub service I’m not using, or the sale game I bought to “play later” than I do about the game I didn’t wait for a sale on and actually finished immediately.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my one criticism of indika is that the sound balancing is so busted that certain scenes will cause my speaker/headphone audio to peak whenever someone talks. a couple of cutscenes’ audio desynced as well

not a dealbreaker by any means but it’d be nice if it’s patched before my inevitable replay

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/6uT8wGtB3yQ

so fuggin sick

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

my one criticism of indika is that the sound balancing is so busted that certain scenes will cause my speaker/headphone audio to peak whenever someone talks. a couple of cutscenes’ audio desynced as well

not a dealbreaker by any means but it’d be nice if it’s patched before my inevitable replay

Yeah the sound balance could have used another pass. Which especially sucks cause the sound design itself is incredible. Seems like everyone is saying this so hopefully it’ll get a patch.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yup. I want to play the game I want to play, when I want to play it. This seems to line up with a sub service about once a year for me at best. I think they are awesome in theory but in practice I see them as being more useful for someone with a family trying to save money and that’s about it. Games are far from cheap, but it’s not exactly a huge expense in life to just buy games either.

There's potential for curation and discovery, though that needs a big library to happen consistently for everyone. It's pretty incredible to find something you didn't know you wanted. I wouldn't be heavily into Zachtronics games if game pass hadn't introduced me to them, and it let me jump into Tunic without any research or expectations, which was an incredible way to start that particular game. I imagine curation is especially useful if you're not following news and can't always rattle off the next game you're waiting for. But this requires scale that only game pass could hit and probably won't. The smaller services from like Ubisoft or EA are never gonna have that appeal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just really don't like the idea of the thing I want to play leaving the service. I've been hosed over by that multiple times on PS+ Extra and Game Pass.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does this just mean you can't download it or does your installed copy stop working too?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can't play it at all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

No no it's fine, I just need to start playing it before 1 PM today then never go the main menu, put the console in sleep mode, or really stop the game in any way shape or form until I beat it in 40 hours or so (I don't know if I'll just get force kicked once the hour rolls around actually)

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

real embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uT8wGtB3yQ

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Got a weird email from a company I've never heard before with a royal mail tracking number for a parcel, but the tracking number doesn't come up with anything on the royal mail website and I'm dubious about clicking the link in the email. Phishing scam or is my copy of bg3 finally on its way??????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Do some googling of the company name, you'd be surprised what seems like phishing but isn't

Caution is the right move either way, though

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

fridge corn posted:

Got a weird email from a company I've never heard before with a royal mail tracking number for a parcel, but the tracking number doesn't come up with anything on the royal mail website and I'm dubious about clicking the link in the email. Phishing scam or is my copy of bg3 finally on its way??????

I’d only worry about phishing if it asks for your personal details to log in or whatever. If it’s just a tracking number you’re safe. Also it sounds like a logistics company has generated your shipping label with a tracking number and automatically emailed you, but won’t show something on the Royal Mail’s site until a postie picks it up and scans it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dang, that System Shock remake looks incredible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

Does Larian not have an order page or something that would confirm which service your order went to, ideally with that same number as well?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Swen is driving around Europe hand delivering boxed copies of BG3 from his trunk as we speak.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah how have you been checking the status of your order before this? Has it changed?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lobok posted:

Does Larian not have an order page or something that would confirm which service your order went to, ideally with that same number as well?

haveblue posted:

Yeah how have you been checking the status of your order before this? Has it changed?

I did not even think of checking the store. Oops. I've just been relying on the occasional email I got from them saying were very sorry it's taking so long it's coming soon I promise!!!

Just made an account on their store and sure enough it says current status tracked courier lmao I'm so freakin dumb sometimes

Anyway still don't trust that email. Think I'm gonna forward it to my work email and click on the link from there..........

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The link is a real embed if you have the right settings

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Morpheus posted:

No no it's fine, I just need to start playing it before 1 PM today then never go the main menu, put the console in sleep mode, or really stop the game in any way shape or form until I beat it in 40 hours or so (I don't know if I'll just get force kicked once the hour rolls around actually)

It booted me out :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

XDefiant has to be the dumbest name ever for a game but if I can play some classic, not battle royale or extraction style COD free then I'm downloading it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I feel like we're going to get an announcement tomorrow of a state of play/showcase to be held on the following Wednesday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

XDefiant has to be the dumbest name ever for a game but if I can play some classic, not battle royale or extraction style COD free then I'm downloading it.

The servers crashed and burned within 30 minutes of launch, but the game is fun so far and feels like CoD without all of the baggage and bloat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What's a guy gotta do to get some Team Deathmatch around here DON'T SAY TF2

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does XDefiant have headquarters or domination? TDM is always good but those are my 2 favorite game modes.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I always feel more guilty about the sub service I’m not using, or the sale game I bought to “play later” than I do about the game I didn’t wait for a sale on and actually finished immediately.

This is precisely why I shied away from the higher PS+ tiers. At least with Essential, while having less control over selection, they are available forever once claimed and with an active sub.

And cloud saves being part of Essential (this is loving stupid btw) means I'll always be subbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Baggot posted:

Very good writeup, thanks and added to my wishlist. I was curious why the game resonated so personally with you, since you mention you're not religious. Were you raised in this kind of setting, culturally or religiously? Sorry if this is in appropriate to ask. I was raised very religious (but not Russian Orthodox) so I am very interested in any games that grapple with that.

Nah, I was raised in a rather permissive atheist household of teachers. I guess my answer, besides already being interested in the art references that I compared it to, is that playing it felt like engaging with a piece of media that was approaching me as an adult (both in terms of broadly understanding history, philosophical quandary, and the gradual progression of artistic forms like painting, film, and the interactive game). It's a very focused vision executed well. I think there will always be a part of me that feels like I'm on the outside looking in when engaging with art that discusses faith, but I still find it interesting. In Andrei Rublev, probably my favorite film, the icon painter's creative impulse is tied to his faith in god, etc. Sometimes faith comes into crisis in moments of social catastrophe, it cannot make sense of the grand material forces of history. In such cases religious faith is not a thing that gets one through but it is instead broken. In other cases faith is the only thing that allows a people to endure. I find this interesting as an artist (and must admit that my own artistic ability and faith in art has indeed waned in recent years) because what restores Andrei's faith in that film is his subsequent observation of another young artist's desperate struggle. Not from within but from without.