Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Going to give the first System Shock a spin tonight. Anything I should know going in? Found the difficulty sliders on the main menu a bit obtuse when looking at it before.

On each level you should find the resurrection pod asap. There is a cruel troll joke with the resurrection pod on one of the levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

just ran through it and yeah its pretty slick. only thing i noticed was a very quick green flash when stepping off the elevator that merges maps 7 and 8

That green flash is you. (If you change your player color, you can change the color of the flash.) Basically, what happens is that when you're partly in the portal without having crossed the line yet, your body gets drawn on the other side of the portal while your viewpoint is still on the first side, and so you see yourself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
All this talk of portals, I had to google it. Maybe this was posted before, but this 5 year old video has some interesting stuff in it and I had no idea that you could do this kinda stuff now. Reminds me of that moving room portal in Prey 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYI9LFP0K6U&t=121s

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 12, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The height differences for portals were shitcanned in the final implementation, unfortunately. No more infinite staircase effects.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You can still do some wild poo poo with portals, mind. I love making buildings that are bigger on the inside than the outside, for example.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love that impossible geometry stuff, there's some fun usage of that in Duke 3D World Tour's Amsterdam level.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Non euclidean geometry is overrated. It has been possible in FPS engines since forever and basically no games have ever done anything super interesting with it, mostly because our monkey brains have enough problems with virtual euclidean geometry and adding moving portals and poo poo quickly gets absurd.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Also I have a question:

Is there now, or has there ever been multiplayer Wolf3D? :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Linguica posted:

Non euclidean geometry is overrated. It has been possible in FPS engines since forever and basically no games have ever done anything super interesting with it, mostly because our monkey brains have enough problems with virtual euclidean geometry and adding moving portals and poo poo quickly gets absurd.

Do the 720 degrees within 360 degrees of duke nukem count?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HolyKrap posted:

All this talk of portals, I had to google it. Maybe this was posted before, but this 5 year old video has some interesting stuff in it and I had no idea that you could do this kinda stuff now. Reminds me of that moving room portal in Prey 2006

holy gently caress

I REALLY want more games to explore 4D space like this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s hard enough to bind 6DOF controls without having to find keys for ana and kata

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Out of the big three of the revival shooters, I think I like Amid Evil the most. DUSK is fantastic, but I couldn't get into a second playthrough. I just kind of faded out during the horror/story parts. I didn't get more than a few levels into Ion before I got bored with enemies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

It’s hard enough to bind 6DOF controls without having to find keys for ana and kata

bind Q to strange and E to charm

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

haveblue posted:

It's time for the return of the orb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRqgszxZlg

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

Cat Mattress posted:

The height differences for portals were shitcanned in the final implementation, unfortunately. No more infinite staircase effects.
Also the portals are purely static, they can't move around wildly like the part you timestamped.

Linguica posted:

Antichamber was awesome tho.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Also the portals are purely static, they can't move around wildly like the part you timestamped.

You could still put portals on polyobjects and move them around last time I checked

I mostly just use em for room over room stuff though

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

haveblue posted:

WASD (or WAXD) with QC and ZE for up/down and ana/kata, then mirror it on the numpad for turning/rolling/pitching/whatever it's called.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

the cool posts kid posted:

You could still put portals on polyobjects and move them around last time I checked
You can, but it's kinda hacky and buggy - IIRC ambient occlusion doesn't play very nice with it.

Graf's been mooting adding moving sectors you can stand on (as opposed to polyobjects) lately, but if it happens they'll probably be limited to moving in the four cardinal directions without rotation to avoid issues related to actors using boxes instead of cylinders or whatever for collision.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Youtube Recommends brought me back to Civve's Pro Doom 2 video and... it has a half a million views now. More than his pro blood video. Wow. Never followed a youtuber who blew up quite as big,

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Animal-Mother posted:

Also I have a question:

Absolutely not, if we're talking about using the Wolf3D engine itself.

There have been dozens of crap "WolfenDoom" attempts from over the years that are basic reskins and shoddy DEHACKED work, but they barely count.

But there is at least a TC for ZDoom which is about 95% accurate to Wolf3D's handling and gameplay. You could play that through Zandronum for easy multiplayer stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You can still do some wild poo poo with portals, mind. I love making buildings that are bigger on the inside than the outside, for example.

Someone should make a House of Leaves set of levels.

Come for the impossible geometry and 5 1/2 minute hallway, stay for the surreal and existential horror and also because you can't find your way out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Animal-Mother posted:

Also I have a question:

ECWolf might eventually get it unless the engine gets completely abandoned. Blutz3 hacked together something during school that vaguely seems to work... 5 years ago.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Also I have a question:

Not online, but if comfy couch multiplayer is your go, SplitWolf gives you split-screen co-op for up to four players and all sorts of silly alternate modes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Not online, but if comfy couch multiplayer is your go, SplitWolf gives you split-screen co-op for up to four players and all sorts of silly alternate modes.

This is the greatest mod.

My wife and I definitely should play through Wolf3D coop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Odd Mutant posted:

Youtube Recommends brought me back to Civve's Pro Doom 2 video and... it has a half a million views now. More than his pro blood video. Wow. Never followed a youtuber who blew up quite as big,
He's got some good one-liners and earned a lot of points for his 1-2 punch of calling out GGMan for being trash as SIGIL and being honest that the Blood HD rerelease was jank on release.

"I don't know I wasn't smelling dude's dicks on the Mayflower" from his Pirates 5 video is great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

Antichamber was awesome tho.

Antichamber was loving great and more people need to play it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

He's got some good one-liners and earned a lot of points for his 1-2 punch of calling out GGMan for being trash as SIGIL and being honest that the Blood HD rerelease was jank on release.

"I don't know I wasn't smelling dude's dicks on the Mayflower" from his Pirates 5 video is great.

He's also had Youtubers trying to promote him, most notably Matt McMuscles (Matt from Super Best Friends) gave him a video cameo and regularly tries to get his viewers to watch Civvie.

It's gotta suck these days when you see a Tuber who has a few good videos, then you try to promote him and later have to figure out how you're going to apologize when that person later turns out to be a creep.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Plan Z posted:

He's also had Youtubers trying to promote him, most notably Matt McMuscles (Matt from Super Best Friends) gave him a video cameo and regularly tries to get his viewers to watch Civvie.

It's gotta suck these days when you see a Tuber who has a few good videos, then you try to promote him and later have to figure out how you're going to apologize when that person later turns out to be a creep.

Wait, did civvie turn out to be a creep or are you just making a tangential observation there?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JerryLee posted:

Wait, did civvie turn out to be a creep or are you just making a tangential observation there?

Tangential observation. So far Civvie has been fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Really loving Shodan's design in SS3 (the first pic).

https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1183452858148118529

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Are they ignoring SS2s ending. I really want to see seven-of-nine Shodan.

e: thinking of Ex Machina’s ending and how scary it would be having an android in human society people are unaware of. Usually the trope is they’re on the run or defensive but Shodan is now mortal but still has a machine brain.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 13, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

al-azad posted:

Are they ignoring SS2s ending. I really want to see seven-of-nine Shodan.
nah is a bad ending, signed, a million nerds who are horny for shodan

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

nah is a bad ending, signed, a million nerds who are horny for shodan
'Nah' is the most 90s of endings.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Nah, that was off-topic rambling.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, doesn't SS2 already offer a sequel hook? The ending is not just “nah”, but also “…do you like my new hairstyle?”

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

To be frank, the hairstyle was pretty terrible.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Antichamber was loving great and more people need to play it.

It is great and a lot of people did play it. I'm pretty sure it's a multi-million seller which is impressive because it's a puzzle game and it's got such a weird aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tippis posted:

…also, doesn't SS2 already offer a sequel hook? The ending is not just “nah”, but also “…do you like my new hairstyle?”

Yeah, SS2 ends with obvious sequel bait by implying that SHODAN has downloaded a copy of herself to Rebecca, either using implant shenanigans or using the FTL drive.

There's also any number of ways they could take SS3 that don't involve SS2 at all -- there's no way SPU-43893 was the only copy of SHODAN floating around, for starters, since Citadel's bridge was recovered intact. But IIRC SS3 is in fact planned to be a direct sequel to SS2.