Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I sleep in a big bed with my wife.

And worry about eviction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not just that oxygen is readily available, but several sizes and 5-6 flavors.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is the pink oxygen for girls

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

some_admin posted:

Not just that oxygen is readily available, but several sizes and 5-6 flavors.

They're even more of a ripoff than they seem because the oxygen in there is barely compressed, since actually shipping a decent amount of compressed oxygen would require a really thick and expensive container, so you get maybe 20 shallow breaths out of the thing tops.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also there's still some regulations once you get to a certain level of compression

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Shame Boy posted:

They're even more of a ripoff than they seem because the oxygen in there is barely compressed, since actually shipping a decent amount of compressed oxygen would require a really thick and expensive container, so you get maybe 20 shallow breaths out of the thing tops.
They'd get more pressure if they just put a little butane in there like "compressed air" cans.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just noticed for the first time that it says "95% pure" on the can too so I guess it's some dirty-rear end sub-welding-grade oxygen

greatBigJerk posted:

They'd get more pressure if they just put a little butane in there like "compressed air" cans.

Even then I think that'd require a steel can, these things are basically aluminum soda cans

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 13:09 on Mar 11, 2024

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

generic industrial grade oxygen is sold at 99.5% purity everywhere I looked, so if I had to guess I'd say they either found a weird waste stream in a gas separator and decided to monetize it, or built a weird mirror version of a crypto mine out of medical oxygen concentrators.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s probably just normal air

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

euphronius posted:

That's my guess. Maybe passed through some filters first. I've seen these cans at the grocery store for over a year now. It feels so incredibly dystopian.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
As of right now the cans are just a scam but they serve an important purpose - in like 5 - 10 years people will be able to say "look if you wanna breathe clean air you can buy it in a can just like everyone else"

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

oh nevermind Aviator's Breathing Oxygen is real regulated standard for air that just sounds like marketing gibberish

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

As of right now the cans are just a scam but they serve an important purpose - in like 5 - 10 years people will be able to say "look if you wanna breathe clean air you can buy it in a can just like everyone else"

I dunno. The marketing seems to imply an energy boost or whatever with the air. And if people are really desperate, they can just walk around with an O2 tank like some elderly people and others already do. If I were the company, I would pivot into canned "experiences". Like yank the air from a beach on the west coast and sell it as a way to experience the beach.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

euphronius posted:

Not completely. One of them is rosemary flavored.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I dunno. The marketing seems to imply an energy boost or whatever with the air. And if people are really desperate, they can just walk around with an O2 tank like some elderly people and others already do. If I were the company, I would pivot into canned "experiences". Like yank the air from a beach on the west coast and sell it as a way to experience the beach.

Pretty sure I've seen "air from Paris" in stores. I wanna say museum gift shop actually.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Parisian Air sounds like one of those things to really appeal to suckers because woof

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Gamergirl Bathwater level product

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I remember when canned [region] air was a dumb tchotchke you bought at a run down tourist trap gift store.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Orange Devil posted:

Gamergirl Bathwater level product

Neither will satiate your thirst, that's for sure

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't gamergirls have running water? They need to buy their bathwater by the bottle? That's outrageous!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

just innocent air

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think I can fill it up with some kind of weed thing, bingo bongo, all set for the show, cops, symphony whatever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My climate fiction novel features a religious organization called The Church of the Blue Sky, they keep a font of "holy air" near the entrance to their churches

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

wow you're that serious about quitting twitter

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
How is it not called Perri-Air?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah, it's why you'll see a "cash" price and a "card" price for fuel at some gas stations. i *think* stores are banned from passing that 3% haircut onto consumers using a card by whatever EULA they have to sign to take visa/mastercard/etc, but if no one narcs to the card companies, stores can do what they want

A bunch of places around me have a sign that reads "Card machine broke, cash only"

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Parisian Air sounds like one of those things to really appeal to suckers because woof

I thought most air in Central Europe is pure garbage due to the high concentration of burning stuff which accompanies western lifestyles. Especially big cities like Paris. To get normal air quality in Europe you have to go halfway up in Finland.

Parisian air reads simply “poison in a can” for me.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

I thought most air in Central Europe is pure garbage due to the high concentration of burning stuff which accompanies western lifestyles. Especially big cities like Paris. To get normal air quality in Europe you have to go halfway up in Finland.

Paris is in western Europe

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Right. Seems air is better near French alps, otherwise it is a shitshow, especially in Eastern Europe. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/20/revealed-almost-everyone-in-europe-breathing-toxic-air

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Don't gamergirls have running water? They need to buy their bathwater by the bottle? That's outrageous!

President Xi, please save us. Our gamergirls cry out for clean affordable bathwater

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cat botherer posted:

How is it not called Perri-Air?

I think that was in Space Balls

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

I think that was in Space Balls

I'm pretty sure they were specifically referencing that but idk it's a good joke either way

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ihmemies posted:

I meant more is an open sewer and that being touted as one of its most endearing qualities. I think I'd pass on the air

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ihmemies posted:

I think of London whenever I get a whiff of diesel exhaust.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

skooma512 posted:

I think of London whenever I get a whiff of diesel exhaust.

see i spent the ages of 4-8 living directly adjacent to the potomac river in washington dc and so i just get reminded of that whenever i smell gas or diesel fumes

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah, it's why you'll see a "cash" price and a "card" price for fuel at some gas stations. i *think* stores are banned from passing that 3% haircut onto consumers using a card by whatever EULA they have to sign to take visa/mastercard/etc, but if no one narcs to the card companies, stores can do what they want

specifically upcharging a credit fee on the order is generally against the credit processors agreements for retail. however raising your prices an equivalent amount and giving a discount for cash purchases is how places can get around it.

like any agreement like this, it's only enforced if the company decides they want to enforce it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

EoinCannon posted:

no it isn't

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
welp, the partys over fellas

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...48f65df40&ei=28

quote:

Target is rolling out a big change to self-checkout that limits the number of items shoppers can buy at the registers, the retailer shared exclusively with Axios.

Why it matters: Shoppers and retailers have a love-hate relationship with self-checkout. The self-service registers are sometimes difficult for consumers to use and have increased theft.

Yes, but: A LendingTree survey of 2,000 U.S. consumers found that 15% of self-checkout users admitted to purposely stealing an item.

in other news, 85% of self checkout users are dirty liars

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

The Nastier Nate posted:

welp, the partys over fellas

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...48f65df40&ei=28

in other news, 85% of self checkout users are dirty liars

If this means more cashiers again then great! I hate having to do self checkout for a weeks worth of groceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Raldikuk posted:

If this means more cashiers again then great! I hate having to do self checkout for a weeks worth of groceries.

lol you know it wont