Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
D for mustache twirling goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I have to go with D. Their Home Planet!

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
B) RWA Listening Post 84

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If A does win then I hope we get to play a repeat of the Battle of Lothien. Player Dire Wolves headcapping Atlases left and right.

e: particularly as the thread just realised that you can 'aim high' with any weapon.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 8, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alchenar posted:

If A does win then I hope we get to play a repeat of the Battle of Lothien. Player Dire Wolves headcapping Atlases left and right.

Heck yes. A might not be my choice but it certainly sounds interesting!

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
We need a ranked ballot.

D to keep the Mariks competitive but I really hope A beats B.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

e: particularly as the thread just realised that you can 'aim high' with any weapon.

For a huge penalty (+3 is no joke) that makes doing so generally not worth the risk.

With an average 4/5 pilot in a stationary `Mech firing against a non-moving target at point-blank range you turn your practically guaranteed 91.6% chance to hit into a 58.3% chance to hit. Still good odds, but that's under practically ideal circumstances. Tacking an additional +3 to-hit against a maneuvering target is an iffy proposition, it's very much something you do when you're either already winning by such a huge margin than a miss or two doesn't matter or when you're absolutely desperate and have favorable circumstances.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 9, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Tactical vote for A. I'd rather F but it's clearly between A and B now.

Do it for Freddie, y'all.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

For a huge penalty (+3 is no joke) that makes doing so generally not worth the risk.

With an average 4/5 pilot in a stationary `Mech firing against a non-moving target at point-blank range you turn your practically guaranteed 91.6% chance to hit into a 58.3% chance to hit. Still good odds, but that's under practically ideal circumstances. Tacking an additional +3 to-hit against a maneuvering target is an iffy proposition, it's very much something you do when you're either already winning by such a huge margin than a miss or two doesn't matter or when you're absolutely desperate and have favorable circumstances.

It does become an increasingly viable option for very good pilots, though. A lot of the optional rules which let you take penalty to do things are generally set up to give good pilots an advantage over regular ones. Kai-Allard Liao or an Elite Manei Domini (0/1 pilots all) will get a fair bit of mileage out of aiming high (or aiming low if a mech has ratty leg armor) at closer ranges. Combine it with other dirty tricks like C3i (so you can get very favorable ranges) and things get super entertaining.

Bonus points if you're using close-range VSPLs, because those give a -3 to-hit. I've gotten a fair bit of mileage out of aiming high/low with CQC-loadout Celestials because your to-hits are so good with VSPLs in-close that you might as well tack on an extra +3 to get a better chance of headshot and taking the enemy out of commission.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Fraction Jackson posted:

Tactical vote for A. I'd rather F but it's clearly between A and B now.

Do it for Freddie, y'all.

I'd like to point something out because a lot of people do this: voting for the thing you actually want, even if it doesn't have a chance to win the current vote, still gives it a much better chance of surviving into the next round, while something that loses by a small margin might actually get passed up to avoid the possibility of the option predictably dominating the next round of votes. Thus, something that places third or fourth might actually have a better chance of showing up again as an option: even if it doesn't, you're still much more likely to see a similar operation in the future than something that got no traction what-so-ever.

In other words, if you vote for something entirely so your vote will appear to matter, you're really giving up the chance to see something you actually like at some point. The obvious exception, of course, is voting for something to try and avoid a scenario you don't really like...but c'est la vie.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

thetruegentleman posted:

I'd like to point something out because a lot of people do this: voting for the thing you actually want, even if it doesn't have a chance to win the current vote, still gives it a much better chance of surviving into the next round, while something that loses by a small margin might actually get passed up to avoid the possibility of the option predictably dominating the next round of votes. Thus, something that places third or fourth might actually have a better chance of showing up again as an option: even if it doesn't, you're still much more likely to see a similar operation in the future than something that got no traction what-so-ever.

In other words, if you vote for something entirely so your vote will appear to matter, you're really giving up the chance to see something you actually like at some point. The obvious exception, of course, is voting for something to try and avoid a scenario you don't really like...but c'est la vie.

That's technically true in most circumstances, and I'm pretty aware of it, given how long this thread's been going and how long I've been watching it (and playing, once, somehow over...four years ago...?). In this case though, A beating out B is actually way more important to me than indulging in my inner FS homer-ness and throwing an extra vote to F.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 9, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

That's technically true in most circumstances, and I'm pretty aware of it, given how long this thread's been going and how long I've been watching it (and playing, once, somehow over...four years ago...?). In this case though, A beating out B is actually way more important to me than indulging in my inner FS homer-ness and throwing an extra vote to F.

Every so often we take stock of the years and go, drat yo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xarbala posted:

Every so often we take stock of the years and go, drat yo.

They don't stop coming.

The years, I mean.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'd quite like B to win over A but I still voted F because I think it would be fun! Consider that my vote would cancel yours out if I voted with the same strategy as you, and help F along.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The vote seems to be dying down, so I'm laying some groundwork for the scenario. Now's your last chance to influence this vote.

There'll be some never-before seen `Mechs this time around, I think. :toot:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 11, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh right, I forgot to vote.

I vote D because for some reason the phrase 'Don Quixote and Friends versus EEEEVIL' flashes through my head with it :allears:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A vote for F is a vote for yakety sax while vamoosing from angry weeaboos. You know you want to see it.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
But they're all so interesting. The possibilities.

E

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Highly probable player ally for this outing.

For the person wondering if I'd be taking advantage of the quirks in the BMM? Yes. I will be.

You'll also be happy to learn that I've finally decided what the Battle Computer does in the LP. Since it can't give players bonus initiative, it instead suppresses enemy ACE status, rendering ACEs no different from a normal unit as long as the Battle Computer carrier is in play.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Highly probable player ally for this outing.

For the person wondering if I'd be taking advantage of the quirks in the BMM? Yes. I will be.

You'll also be happy to learn that I've finally decided what the Battle Computer does in the LP. Since it can't give players bonus initiative, it instead suppresses enemy ACE status, rendering ACEs no different from a normal unit as long as the Battle Computer carrier is in play.

Is it a teamwide effect or does it just suppress a single one?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Command `Mechs are going to suppress a single ACE.

The Battle Computer suppresses every ACE.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 11, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

I guess that means it's also the Distracting quirk...

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

:getin:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Protect the Cyclops, or die to ravening hordes of ACEs.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Artificer posted:

Protect the Cyclops, and then die to ravening hordes of ACEs when it takes a laser to the face.

I fixed this for you.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This is where we find out the Kell Hounds miraculously survived, and Jaime Widow shows up with Widow's Dragoons and PTN sells out all his vaunted cred for the cheesiest sourcebook mission ever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

This is where we find out the Kell Hounds miraculously survived, and Jaime Widow shows up with Widow's Dragoons and PTN sells out all his vaunted cred for the cheesiest sourcebook mission ever.

Are you thinking of the GDL and not the Hounds? I don't remember anything about them coming up after our very first mission. GDL definitely got whacked off-camera though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

Are you thinking of the GDL and not the Hounds? I don't remember anything about them coming up after our very first mission. GDL definitely got whacked off-camera though.

Oh that's right, shoot, that's what I meant, not the Kell Hounds. I think it was the Morgaine up there that threw me off.

Come on, PTN, it's an overly important Cyclops, it has to be the GDL.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Oh that's right, shoot, that's what I meant, not the Kell Hounds. I think it was the Morgaine up there that threw me off.

Come on, PTN, it's an overly important Cyclops, it has to be the GDL.

Could be the ELH. They have an important cyclops.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You're all acting like the Green Knight isn't real character or something. Admittedly, she's apocryphal and doesn't have a real name, but that just gives me a chance to play around.

Edit: Discuss.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 11, 2017

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I like the Cyclops with the Double-G bust.

Please don't shame my robosexuality.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I spy an Awesome?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Artificer posted:

I spy an Awesome?

Isn't that a Zeus?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is a Zeus and it isn't crap. It's a ZEU-9S2.

That's one down, but I expect two of the others to make a bit of a stir.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Is the bottom right Mech a Caesar?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It is indeed!

VVV It's an Archer.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 12, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If the top right (not the cyclops) isn't an Archer it's a very, very confused Mad Dog :colbert:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I know nothing about mechs. I'm likely to be playing this time. If you want to elaborate on your guesses, it'd be very welcome. Like what a mech is good/bad at or what its specialty is. AWS-9Q or whatever doesn't tell someone unfamiliar with battletech a lot, and looking it up on Sarna gives what weapons it has and some stats that don't really say a lot. Like all the speeds are given in kph, not hexes/turn.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is indeed!

Yesssssss my creation shall finally take to the field!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like I'm going to break your heart because a retrotech Caesar prototype just can't compete with a Thunder Hawk and a Sunder. This one's a full production model.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 12, 2017

• Locked thread