Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm already thinking about my next model. Any opinions on a 1:48 BF-109E or F-14? I'm not sure what brands are good in regards to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Just look for a couple of reviews on Aeroscale (part of the Kitmaker.com network). I dont really build planes myself, but in general you can't go wrong with Tamiya and Hasegawa kits,

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr E posted:

I've mostly finished my first model. I may do a wash and weather it or something in the future as well before a matte coat. I really gotta work on canopies as well.

Good job dude. I've been building stuff off and on for 20 years and I have completed exactly 1 airplane. Tanks and ground vehicles are a lot easier for me to hide inevitable fuckups. Throw some mud or extra weathering on it and it's good. Things that fly are a bit more delicate. Also, I too hate canopies.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, I hear you about canopies. I was working on my Messerschmitt and didn't notice that I had a very small amount of glue on my finger, so now I have a very tiny blemish on my canopy. It's hardly visible, but it still bothers me because I notice it. And I still have to paint the drat thing.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention that that P-40 looks great.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 17, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for the comments! I'll probably just matte coat this kit and do no weathering. I'm gonna run by the hobby shop after work and see if I can decide on doing another plane or a tank next.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I personally would reccomend another plane, as tanks can get finicky and you said the P-40 was your first model. An interesting idea would be to look at a P-36 Hawk, since it is the radial engined precursor to the P-40 iirc. Or just grab something that catches your interest.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I was thinking at least one more plane before a tank. I may do a Tamiya A6M5 Zero or Hasegawa F-22.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

If you are looking for a nice tank in the future to see if that suits you, the KV series of tanks made by Trumpeter are very nice and not too complicated to build. They come with both vinyl band-type tracks and track & link plastic ones so you can try both types, and it's often much cheaper than a Tamiya kit (which are very well engineered kits and practically build themselves, but are bit more expensive).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can get a classic Tamiya kit for pretty cheap, and many stood the test of time fairly well. I haven't built any of their KVs though. I have a Trumpeter KV-1 ChTZ cast turret kit, and it's pretty good, if devoid of interior parts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend's giant 8' long 1:160 biggest ship in the world is coming along.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I would second getting a good solid Tamiya kit they are great for getting to grips with things.

Also come January you can now officially count me in.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

big_g posted:

I would second getting a good solid Tamiya kit they are great for getting to grips with things.

Thirding. Even the older kits are worthwhile as long as you aren't a compulsive rivet-counter. My first tank was Tamiya's T-34/76. The hull had some pretty serious gaps but they were the kind you can fill before gluing the hull together, so I just slathered putty all over the place on the inside surfaces.

While googling something tanky, I stumbled on this:

It makes me happy, so I had to share.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like the Tamiya 70s Masterpiece T-34. No obvious defects, plenty of accessories, some interior bits. Only downside is the vinyl tracks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Baronjutter posted:

I volunteer to be a character witness at your friend's divorce proceedings

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Baronjutter posted:

A guy on Modelshipworld is building a model of the USS Des Moines CA-134 for his dad. Thing is, he can't stand working in small scales, so he went with the smallest scale he could actually stand - 1/8" (1:96).

So yea, he's scratch building a model of the Des Moines that is 88" long.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Thirding. Even the older kits are worthwhile as long as you aren't a compulsive rivet-counter. My first tank was Tamiya's T-34/76. The hull had some pretty serious gaps but they were the kind you can fill before gluing the hull together, so I just slathered putty all over the place on the inside surfaces.

While googling something tanky, I stumbled on this:

It makes me happy, so I had to share.
Welp.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Baronjutter posted:

So his painting options are going to be spending 200 dollars on half a gallon of model paint or using non scale marine paint? I've never seen anything that big built before.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Brovine posted:

Just to check, we're working on the crappire in January, aren't we?
I'm working on crappy grain dryers and oil jacks.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Mr E posted:

I'm already thinking about my next model. Any opinions on a 1:48 BF-109E or F-14? I'm not sure what brands are good in regards to those.
Yeah, the Tamiya 109-E basically puts itself together, it's a real nice kit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Yeah, the Tamiya 109-E basically puts itself together, it's a real nice kit.

I'll keep an eye out for that, then. I picked up the 1/48 Hasegawa F-22 today because it was on sale, from what I've read it's a real good kit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Speaking of tank kits, I've built quite a few Tamiya 1:48 tanks this year, and I've been happy with all of them. Not much more expensive than 1/72 tanks, but cheaper and not as big as 1/35's. I would recommend them for a beginner, and the Panzer 38(t) released this spring was probably the "friendliest" kit I built this far. But I haven't had a complete clunker yet. The early prod Tiger I was also pretty easy and fun to build.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 18, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Victory Cross Section gave me a bit of a fright today.

Formed the mast and built the structural parts of the pump well with munitions storage . Nothing in the interior (but the planks) is glued in yet. Then when as I was setting up the photo the model finally toppled over dislodging the mast and pumpwell then both dropping to the floor with the mast neatly smashing the pumpwell to smithereens. Luckily I could salvage it. The photo is from after that happening. High time I build the model stand instead of relying on gravity, balance and a flat keel

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Mr E posted:

I'll keep an eye out for that, then. I picked up the 1/48 Hasegawa F-22 today because it was on sale, from what I've read it's a real good kit.

I built that one earlier on in the thread if you are interested. It is a really nice fun kit. I can't recall any issues I had with it anyways.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So, all the ship pictures this year made me finally get going on a project that I've mulled over for a long time: a set of east asian 16th century ships. I'll start with some Japanese, and then add some Korean ones to fight them.

They will be scale models in 1:285, as that leaves most ships at the time at around 2-5 inches. That's small enough to be managable, but still large enough to add some details.

That's also a size that I'm somewhat comfortable with casting in resin, so I won't do them in wood, but in sculpting putty. Then I can mass produce them, and get tons of boxy crap ships to play around with.

Anyway, I could not find a huge amount of good actual blueprints or equivalent, but rather pictures and general size approximations. So expect a lot of wonky proportions!

First out I thought I'd make a sekibune, which was a medium-to-large size war galley. Different sources put their average size at around 18-25 metre long. Some of them had small tower structures on them, while others just had a big flat boxy fighting platform from where to fire muskets and launch boarding actions:

So, I started out by measuring from the pictures that I could find with crew. With a basic plan in hand, I started to make the general shape in plasticard and magic sculpt, to see if the size was reasonable. It's about 8 cm long, which would be a 23 meter long ship.

Since that's a flat top, it's way too tall! If I added a railing too it now, it would look way wrong. The only alternative was to dig down instead:

And build back up, with space for the stairs up:

Today I started making planks with magic sculpt, only covering a small part at a time so that I don't fudge any previous planks before the putty cures:

Phew. I'll probably start up a few more ships over the holidays, so that I don't have to spend so much time waiting on each patch to cure.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"What the gently caress did I order??"

"Oh."

Yessss, airplane...and candy.

I'm not sure why there's candy.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Asian Ships

That's very cool.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"What the gently caress did I order??"

"Oh."

Yessss, airplane...and candy.

I'm not sure why there's candy.

Did you order from Germany? German suppliers of all kinds of things like to add gummy treats to deliveries around christmas time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Greyhawk posted:

That's very cool.

Did you order from Germany? German suppliers of all kinds of things like to add gummy treats to deliveries around christmas time.

Package is from China. Can't honestly remember where I ordered it. It's a nice touch!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

lilljonas posted:

Small resin boat stuff...

Google search for "Woody Joe" kits, and you should find some really nice images of quite a number of boats from Japan from historical times. They produce some really nice wooden kits that aren't very well known here in the states, but are great quality.

Might be good reference material for you. I have no idea if they sell the plans without the kits, but lots of wooden kit makers do, so if you can communicate with them that's another possibility.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The Locator posted:

Google search for "Woody Joe" kits, and you should find some really nice images of quite a number of boats from Japan from historical times. They produce some really nice wooden kits that aren't very well known here in the states, but are great quality.

Might be good reference material for you. I have no idea if they sell the plans without the kits, but lots of wooden kit makers do, so if you can communicate with them that's another possibility.

I've checked Woody Joe kits (even in person in Japan) for their amazing temple kits, but not their ships. Now you made me check again, and isn't this just a sexy boat in all its simplicity?

http://www.zootoyz.jp/contents/en-us/d137_Woody_JOE_Khufu_ship.html

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

big_g posted:

I built that one earlier on in the thread if you are interested. It is a really nice fun kit. I can't recall any issues I had with it anyways.

Looked at those pics, that model turned out fantastic. I really liked how your canopy turned out so I'll be doing that as well. Do you happen to remember what Vallejo colors you used back then, or should I color match using the listed colors and add some silver to the mix for the body?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Mr E posted:

Looked at those pics, that model turned out fantastic. I really liked how your canopy turned out so I'll be doing that as well. Do you happen to remember what Vallejo colors you used back then, or should I color match using the listed colors and add some silver to the mix for the body?

I can't remember I'm afraid and it's not something I keep track of. Adding the silver worked well for me to give it that little extra sheen.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Started on the ruined Imperial industrial area base last night. It looks dark at the minute but I'm going to lighten the brown, add some pigments and some silfor tufts once the varnish has gone on.

Only really that and the helmet to do now

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/thread/1351299744/Los+Acr%EDlicos+con+Aer%F3grafo-+Diluci%F3n+y+Mezclas

This article in spanish explains and demonstrates why rubbing alcohol may not always work with most acrylic paints, and compares it with water, isoprop, methanol and other solvents.

quote:

- Todos los acrílicos se pueden diluir con agua.
- Todos los acrílicos se pueden diluir con el limpiacristales Cristasol.
- Para la mayoría funciona el isopropanol con ventaja sobre los demás.
- El etanol es un floculante estupendo. Mejor dejarlo para flocularse el hígado.
- El metanol también es mejor dejarlo para limpiar y cargar el mechero.

All acrylic paints are water solluble.
All acrylics can take windex.
For the most part ispropyl alcohol is better.
Ethanol (rubbing alcohol) is great at clogging. Better yet to leave it for your liver.
Methanol is also a great way to clean stuff and fill up your lighter.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm building a Hobby Boss 1/72 CF-105 kit that I've had on my shelf for a couple years because I wanted to be "good enough" to make it look real good, it's one of my favorite planes ever.

This kit is a hideous pile of poo poo, and I paid like $40 for it. So disappointed right now. Guess I'm gonna have to go buy a tube of Tammiya Regular filler and some x-22 thinner.

gently caress.

That is on the locating pins.

The "detailed cockpit" was nothing but ejector pin marks.

edit: sooo, any suggestions for filler friendly sandable primers for building up a smooth undercoat, it's supposed to be a glossy white finish.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 19, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Double Posting time!

here's a couple that I finished last month some time, but just found my macro camera to take pictures of...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, I made that triplane kit once, ages ago! Or at least some other one named BLYMP.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I have finished my 1/72 Messerschmidt Bf109. Unfortunately the weather is a bit too humid for sealing it, so the powders are a bit more vibrant than they will be with the clear coat on them. I am really happy with how this kit turned out, even if I spent a good chunk of time painting the BMW 801 engine which was then put behind the cooling fan, never to be seen again. Overall I think it came out pretty good, even if brush painting yellow is a pain in the rear end.

Edit: I love the camo you put on that FW190 Jonny Nox.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

So I'm building a Hobby Boss 1/72 CF-105 kit that I've had on my shelf for a couple years because I wanted to be "good enough" to make it look real good, it's one of my favorite planes ever.

This kit is a hideous pile of poo poo, and I paid like $40 for it. So disappointed right now. Guess I'm gonna have to go buy a tube of Tammiya Regular filler and some x-22 thinner.

gently caress.

That is on the locating pins.

The "detailed cockpit" was nothing but ejector pin marks.

edit: sooo, any suggestions for filler friendly sandable primers for building up a smooth undercoat, it's supposed to be a glossy white finish.

Do you mean Hobbycraft, or Hobby Boss?

If you mean Hobbycraft, they made new Arrow tooling in 2012 - you may have bought the old kit.

(Or is it: Good news! There's a modern 1/72 Avro Arrow out there?) :homebrew:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do you mean Hobbycraft, or Hobby Boss?

If you mean Hobbycraft, they made new Arrow tooling in 2012 - you may have bought the old kit.

(Or is it: Good news! There's a modern 1/72 Avro Arrow out there?) :homebrew:

Yeah, it's hobbycraft.

Bad news, this IS the 2012 kit. Honestly it's going to work into an ok model in the end, I was just posting from emotions earlier.

Fucker is BIG though, I think it's going to come out longer than the F-14 in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Do you guys know which brand makes good 1/72 figures? Not looking for the toy soldier like vinyl stuff because those are a bitch to paint. Mainly looking for German infantry and armour crews.