Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Manchild King posted:

Don't you just hate that. Does anyone else ever feel ashamed about their Lego addiction?
I simply told my girlfriend that if it's okay for me to wait outside the makeup store while she putzes around trying things out and not actually buying anything, it should be okay for her to wait outside the Lego store while I putz around looking at really expensive toys and not actually buying anything(because they had no grab bags left, and had just taken series 5 off the shelf and weren't allowed to put series 6 out until Monday :argh: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

I simply told my girlfriend that if it's okay for me to wait outside the makeup store while she putzes around trying things out and not actually buying anything, it should be okay for her to wait outside the Lego store while I putz around looking at really expensive toys and not actually buying anything(because they had no grab bags left, and had just taken series 5 off the shelf and weren't allowed to put series 6 out until Monday :argh: ).

Did she leave you on the spot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shockingly, she's not completely shallow, has some rationality to her and understood what I was saying! :ocelot:

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
My girlfriend loves my children's toy addiction.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

In my experience I haven't ran into too many people who begrudge adults building with LEGO. Hell I had LEGO shipped to me in Afghanistan and we would have nights where 4 or so of us would just crowd around a table making cool stuff. Then we'd get incoming mortars, run to a bunker real quick, then continue building once it was all clear :3:.

TL;DR- LEGO vs. Anti-coalition forces

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

djfooboo posted:

In my experience I haven't ran into too many people who begrudge adults building with LEGO. Hell I had LEGO shipped to me in Afghanistan and we would have nights where 4 or so of us would just crowd around a table making cool stuff. Then we'd get incoming mortars, run to a bunker real quick, then continue building once it was all clear :3:.

TL;DR- LEGO vs. Anti-coalition forces

Did you try shouting back 'Hey, we're trying to build lego in here, you fucks' because I'm betting the taliban have just as many AFOLs and would give you a break...

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Self conscious? You can't be self conscious and efficiently fill a PAB cup.

A good memory is when I was 18 I took a sports bag full of Lego into school and every free period we'd all spend the time building Lego. We'd make competitions of it too, building things like downhill racers and land yachts.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

While on the subject I think it would be interesting to hear how people explain their hobby to adults.

I usually tell the person that LEGO is just a medium for my creativity, no different than a canvas or clay. But since I lack the creative wherewithal to create something from nothing I like LEGO because it gives me shapes to utilize without giving me a final product. Also I am mechanically minded and love all the opportunities to solve problems that arise during building. Also, spaceships go WHOOSH and PEW PEW is always fun.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I buy the occasional set but any of my major purchases are minifigs. I figure (and I guess this would be my "excuse" if asked) it takes up less space, they're easier to keep track of, and its hard to not look at a LEGO guy and think "Look at the little Jack Sparrow :3:". Plus I don't think anyone can deny how great the detail is on the collectible minifigs.

foosel
Apr 2, 2010
This thread managed to finally bring me out of my dark ages which lasted from 1997 I think.

I not only started a tiny mini figure collection, re-acquired 6085 Black Monarch's Castle and 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda off Ebay (while all my old Lego is still with my parents, I remember these two sets being incomplete due to a couple of accidents with vacuum cleaners etc) and requested Lego for this year's holidays (got Heroica and 10199 Winter Village Toy Shop, among other things), I also just finished building the 10220 VW T1 Camper I gifted to myself as a belated holiday gift:

I also started to play around with LDD and created a smallish low-detail Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 2:

I fear for my poor wallet :ohdear:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Saw this at the beginning of last week. Forgot I took it. LEGO Friends ads in the wild.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I saw this at eurobricks. Olivia's basement.

nice and disturbing.

PhunkyHustle
Apr 7, 2010
Thanks to this thread I am now a lego addict again. I hadnt touched the stuff for about 20-25 years but for christmas my girlfriend bought me the camper van. The few hours it took to build were so enjoyable. All the memories of searching for that small 1x1 square came back and I loved it every minute. I am now in the process of working out which sets I want for my birthday in a few weeks, and am planning a mighty collection.

Thanks to you all for rekindling a love once lost :D

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I was visiting my dad yesterday at his house, he had recently gotten remarried and his wife's daughter was over visiting and she brought her son and daughter. They're about 7ish, and when Sponge Bob was over on TV, they started playing with some little Lego Creator sets they had. Went down to the basement and brought up my box of Lego instructions from the golden era (early-mid 90s) Was very pleased to see they were interested in the old Castle and Space sets since they're used to Star Wars. They had to leave shortly thereafter, but next time they're over going to have to drag the big Rubbermade tubs out from the basement so they can have some fun.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

toby posted:

Did she leave you on the spot

If she had, good riddance. :colbert:

(My wife not only feeds the habit by buying me more Lego, she helps me sort it. :3:)

foosel posted:

I also started to play around with LDD and created a smallish low-detail Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 2:

I fear for my poor wallet :ohdear:

I just had a fit of "gently caress, why didn't I think of that", because I've mentally bounced ideas around for building one of those but couldn't come up with a good way to do the curve of the hull.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 8, 2012

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Merchant of Death posted:

nice and disturbing.

This is awesome.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

nice and disturbing.

While there is a lot to love about this, one of the things that sticks out as particularly well-done is the faux lighting effect done by using lighter grey around the ladder from what I presume is an open trap door

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I kinda wish the walls were made with the cutesy purple/pink bricks rather than the grey. :3:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I hope Brickarms/Brickforge/Whoever (I don't know anything about third party LEGO stuff) start making accessories for the Friendfigs. It'd help them fit into MOCs better, though the above works very well.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Fooley posted:

Brickarms/Brickforge/Whoever (I don't know anything about third party LEGO stuff)

Speaking of, is there a big list of third-party sites somewhere? I know about Brickforge and Brickarms, but are there others out there doing similar sorta stuff?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is that axe from one of the minifig lines, or somewhere else?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

djfooboo posted:

While on the subject I think it would be interesting to hear how people explain their hobby to adults.
I just look them in the eye and say, "I don't have to explain myself to you." Then belch and throw a handful of cheese slopes in their face.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is that axe from one of the minifig lines, or somewhere else?

Yeah its from the Lumberjack I believe.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So apparently there's a dude in the friends line. He's in the big set which my Target didn't have, but they did have on display. He's mowing the lawn with no shoes on while his girlfriend or whatever sits outside and watches.

Sexism :argh:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah its from the Lumberjack I believe.

He does. And a hat with a beaver on it. :3:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Sockser posted:

So apparently there's a dude in the friends line. He's in the big set which my Target didn't have, but they did have on display. He's mowing the lawn with no shoes on while his girlfriend or whatever sits outside and watches.

Sexism :argh:

He is bbq'ing on the box while the woman is cutting the lawn. Really they should of had one of those robots that cuts the grass so we could argue about how its wrong to enslave robots while humans sit around watching tv.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Well, I bought the Superman vs. Power Armor Lex today, and it's pretty sweet. Really a fun build, and a great buy for $20. The ball-and-socket joints make the robot extremely posable. It can even do a split! :haw:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

He is bbq'ing on the box while the woman is cutting the lawn. Really they should of had one of those robots that cuts the grass so we could argue about how its wrong to enslave robots while humans sit around watching tv.

And the TV in the house has some pink rainbows-and-stars show on.

It's clearly a house of bronies.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Fooley posted:

I hope Brickarms/Brickforge/Whoever (I don't know anything about third party LEGO stuff) start making accessories for the Friendfigs. It'd help them fit into MOCs better, though the above works very well.

Friends... in... Spaaaace

Back to the AFOL shamechat, when I went to the Ft. Wayne con I felt kind of bad for the guys I talked to who mentioned being unemployed but still feeling compelled to fuel their addiction. Been there myself, and it's the reason I missed out on some good Indiana Jones and batman stuff, because I didn't have the money to burn.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
If that is exo-force hair it turned out amazing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
X Wing and Millennium Falcon arrived, can't wait for the builds. Proudly displayed my purchases on Facebook, got quite positive feedback, including positive feedback from a girl I'm interested in.

drat you Goons now I have to add Lego tolerance to the list of things I look for in a partner.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Speaking of being slightly embarrassed while buying Legos, can I ask the folks in this thread who work at Lego stores something: do they train you to be waaaaaay over-friendly and helpful to the point of being bothersome? I went into my local Lego store this weekend and in 7 minutes was approached by 4 different employees asking if I needed help. When I said no I was just browsing each one of them continued to ask me questions, 3 of them asking "So, who is getting the Lego today? Is it for you?" I just want to browse in peace!

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I'm not too ashamed of my Lego hobby. I have no problem visiting the local LEGO shop and working the pick-a-brick wall, I usually end up helping other people with their PAB. The staff there are all AFOL's themselves. I get :rolleyes: from the wife now and then, but she usually lets me be.

I feel fine with it, since some hobbies are stunningly dumb anyway. You bought a truck to tow your jet skis to the river, and you go there every weekend and get drunk/sunburned? What is that, $50K worth of hardware? Really?

Lego fits my criteria for a good hobby: I am not thinking about my problems while I'm building.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Schindler's Fist posted:

I am not thinking about my problems while I'm building.

THIS! I got out of my LEGO dark ages when I was going through real-life dark ages. It was one of the few things that could take my mind off tragedy.

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

Rustie posted:

Speaking of being slightly embarrassed while buying Legos, can I ask the folks in this thread who work at Lego stores something: do they train you to be waaaaaay over-friendly and helpful to the point of being bothersome? I went into my local Lego store this weekend and in 7 minutes was approached by 4 different employees asking if I needed help. When I said no I was just browsing each one of them continued to ask me questions, 3 of them asking "So, who is getting the Lego today? Is it for you?" I just want to browse in peace!

Those employees also have a Lego hobby and were keen to talk about it with you.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Schindler's Fist posted:

Lego fits my criteria for a good hobby: I am not thinking about my problems while I'm building.

Wow. That's the best definition of a hobby I've ever heard.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Pretty much the only thing I wouldn't do is ask the cashier to hand me the box of minifigs behind the counter so I can rifle through them and feel up the bags, but that's more because I don't want to hold up other customers.

I've felt minifig bags at other stores where they're just on the shelf with the other LEGO, on one occasion working with some other AFOLs to find the ones we wanted. It helps to be an uncaring aspie.

On an unrelated topic, any Ausgoons going to Brickvention?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
A friend of mine has a pretty crap illness, the kind that causes intense stomach pain and prevents him from working etc... not unsurprisingly he became one of the most depressed, misanthropic fuckers around. Thankfully he is also the world's biggest geek and when I showed him the most recent Slave 1 I'd just built, I could see something snap in his mind. Pot and Lego have made him grin stupidly more than I thought possible.

Side note, can't wait for more pics of the monster fighters sets.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MaliciousOnion posted:

On an unrelated topic, any Ausgoons going to Brickvention?

Whah?! Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rustie posted:

They do that to me too. Usually, I assume it's because they think I'm going to steal something.

That or they want to talk to someone older than twelve I guess.