Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AutoFool posted:

From my reading about it that is what launchd does. When launchd hears the connection it wakes up the SSH daemon or something magical like that.

Yup. I think this was another thing Saurik went over.

A lot of the services & daemons people disable don't actually tie up resources unless needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I disabled a bunch of deamons through iCleaner a few days ago and noticed neither a speed increase nor an increase in free RAM. I also didn't notice any issues with instability so there doesn't seem to be any cost or real benefit to either disabling or enabling the deamons. I'll keep it around though for disabling Activator in case I ever install it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

You guys need to stop spergin about services. The entire point of iOS is you specifically DON'T need to manage this poo poo. Futzing around with possibly critical files is a dumb thing as is trying to manage battery/ram. Unlike our counterparts there's really nothing wrong in terms of resource management. Maybe pre-4 but not anymore.

Stop sperging. I mean the android thread is right over there.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You guys need to stop spergin about services. The entire point of iOS is you specifically DON'T need to manage this poo poo. Futzing around with possibly critical files is a dumb thing as is trying to manage battery/ram. Unlike our counterparts there's really nothing wrong in terms of resource management. Maybe pre-4 but not anymore.

I would tend to agree that it seems this is something apple designed the OS specifically with the intention of us not needing to screw with it. That being said more power to this who are able and interested in trying to make their phone all it can be but I feel like in this specific case with the exception of activator your playing with fire for almost no reason.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I don't pretend to be an an expert, but what is listening for the connection on port 22? Wouldn't that be the daemon? How taxing the listener would be on resources I also won't pretend to know anything about.

A mechanical watch could run an SSH daemon. It's using basically no resources. Not worth even thinking about it.

Quit gooning goons.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I'm really interested in the Guess What lockscreen, but I have no idea how to find it. Everywhere I look says it should just be on cydia by default, but whenever I search for it the closest thing that comes up is "guess it." I have the ModMyi source, but it's definitely not there.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So iFixit did a teardown of the touch 3g that revealed that it has an 802.11n chip. Is it possible to enable that capability?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

aherdofpenguins posted:

I'm really interested in the Guess What lockscreen, but I have no idea how to find it. Everywhere I look says it should just be on cydia by default, but whenever I search for it the closest thing that comes up is "guess it." I have the ModMyi source, but it's definitely not there.

Hmmm I'm not sure. It shows up in my search but I'm not sure I want to test reinstalling if it doesn't work. Is it possible for me to share with you the theme folder or does it have to be packaged properly for it to work?

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power

Grandmaster.flv posted:

While this is quite true that most of the apps release on the Apple Store have no issues with resource management this is most certainly not the case for some packages from Cydia. Activator being the only one that really comes to mind or that I would use it for.

AutoFool fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 29, 2013

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

Hmmm I'm not sure. It shows up in my search but I'm not sure I want to test reinstalling if it doesn't work. Is it possible for me to share with you the theme folder or does it have to be packaged properly for it to work?

I have nooooooo idea. What's the source? ModMyi?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

aherdofpenguins posted:

I have nooooooo idea. What's the source? ModMyi?

Yeah, ModMyi. I'm gonna go ahead and put the contents of my folder up here in a zip, you'll need Lockscreen Clock Hide to be sure you get the full use of the screen. Hang on...

http://thesoundenvelope.com/lol/Guess%20what.theme.rar

LockBackground.html is a customized version of it, with the Day being the large middle element, and the Month being the small element.

LockBackgroundorig.html is the deafult setting.

bg11.jpg is the default wallpaper
bg1.jpg gave me a headache when I tried it.
bg.jpg is what I currently use.

My advice is to place that in your Winterboard themes folder, ('/private/var/stash/Themes.oiA5QW'), and reboot/respring, and see if it pops up in the list?

If that works, then I love Jailbreaking even more.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 29, 2013

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

Yeah, ModMyi. I'm gonna go ahead and put the contents of my folder up here in a zip, you'll need Lockscreen Clock Hide to be sure you get the full use of the screen. Hang on...

LockBackground.html is a customized version of it, with the Day being the large middle element, and the Month being the small element.

My advice is to place that in your Winterboard themes folder, ('/private/var/stash/Themes.oiA5QW'), and reboot/respring, and see if it pops up in the list?

Worked 100%. That's incredible.

Thanks a ton!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

aherdofpenguins posted:

Worked 100%. That's incredible.

Thanks a ton!

Cool! It's a really slick lockscreen, I think.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

Hey, thank you for doing this. I installed it, but swapped out the camera icon that didn't fit. I am choosing between this and Peekly, I really like them both.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Blimpkin posted:

Cool! It's a really slick lockscreen, I think.

Holy poo poo, that worked perfectly. Thank you! I couldn't find it in Cydia at all but your method worked right away, thanks again!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I wonder what happened to it...I'm so pleased my daily routine is to check 'changes' in Cydia, or I'd have never found it in the first place. (Why I ever tried a lockscreen called "guess what" I'll never know.)

general chaos
May 20, 2001
This is a silly question, and I apologize if I've missed something obvious. I'm on an iPhone 5 version 6.1 jailbroken with Sprint. I'm attempting to unlock the device for international use, and according to official channels, it seems that in order to do so that I need to erase all content and restore the iphone with itunes. Is there a way to do this without removing Cydia or being able to jailbreak it again afterwards? Can I simply restore with Tinyumbrella?

Edit: to clarify, following the normal steps recommended by the Sprint reps would either force me to update (restore and update button in iTunes) or have me use the "Erase all Content and settings" button which is apparently broken in jailbroken iOS.

general chaos fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 30, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

general chaos posted:

This is a silly question, and I apologize if I've missed something obvious. I'm on an iPhone 5 version 6.1 jailbroken with Sprint. I'm attempting to unlock the device for international use, and according to official channels, it seems that in order to do so that I need to erase all content and restore the iphone with itunes. Is there a way to do this without removing Cydia or being able to jailbreak it again afterwards? Can I simply restore with Tinyumbrella?

Find a microsim from another carrier..

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Hello people. I've got an iPhone 4 with 6.1.3 and I'm wondering what my options are. I don't want a tethered jailbreak. Can I roll it back or am I hosed?

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Hello people. I've got an iPhone 4 with 6.1.3 and I'm wondering what my options are. I don't want a tethered jailbreak. Can I roll it back or am I hosed?

Unfortunately you are hosed

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

CrudMonkey posted:

Unfortunately you are hosed

...but if they have their SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1.2, they should be fine.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
Is there a way to filter out themes in 'changes' I am completely content with my theme etc. it's the tweaks I troll for and they are becoming few and far between all the average themes that are released everyday.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Is there a way to filter out themes in 'changes' I am completely content with my theme etc. it's the tweaks I troll for and they are becoming few and far between all the average themes that are released everyday.

Just go to "sections" and tap "edit".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Dammit. I think I found another SMS/MMS/iMessage attachment bug.

I had noticed my "Other" in iTunes was creeping back up. It was at 4.26 GB, again (it was at just 1.xx GB a few days ago). Even if I hadn't installed anything from Cydia in days. I ran iCleaner, deleted all stuff in Messages, Safari, etc. I even synced up with iTunes to remove Photos and Music (I know thumbnails and album art caches can add up). Even after doing all that, my "Other" was even larger..!

I checked my iCloud Backup. It was just 200 MB. It seemed fine...
If you remember, with iOS versions prior to 6.1, iOS was saving all "deleted" SMS/MMS/iMessage attachments here: /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/*
Anything in that directory would get saved in your iTunes and iCloud backups. Not a huge deal with local iTunes backups, but it could murder the space on a free 5GB iCloud account.

But I'm on 6.1.2, I shouldn't have that bug, right?

So, I started digging into directories, checking the space used by each ("du -hs dirname").

This directory on my device was loaded:
/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.MobileSMS/ExtendedPreviews/Attachments

It was a cache, 2.4 GB in size, of my deleted SMS/MMS/iMessage attachments. Ugh. Why would this still be there (I had ZERO images in Messages)?

I deleted that directory, re-created it (mobile:mobile, 755), and now iTunes went from 4.26 GB of "Other" back down to just 1.66 GB.

So, if your "Other" is getting huge (again), you may want to check that location.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish there was a way to limit or erase the PhotoStream/Shared Photostream caches. Between all the shared streams me, my girlfriend, and our families have going I have almost 4GB of photos I have no control over.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Since Snappy apparently never got updated for iOS 6, what alternatives are out there for a camera-anywhere sort of tweak?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

You're in luck since you have an iPhone 4... IF you have your SHSH blobs saved for whatever version you want to downgrade to... AND if they weren't saved by Cydia automatically. So if you saved your own SHSH blobs, you can use sn0wbreeze.

Cawd Rud fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 30, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can anyone with experience with the applications/tweaks explain if there is any noticeable difference in features between using Springtomize vs. Iconoclasm/Shrink/Infinidock? Can Springtomize do all of the things those three do?

Also, if I'm looking for a good all-around switcher tweak, what is a good one to use? Mainly I'm looking to change the amount of icons listed per page but other tweaks like the 'X' always being visible are nice.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Also, if I'm looking for a good all-around switcher tweak, what is a good one to use? Mainly I'm looking to change the amount of icons listed per page but other tweaks like the 'X' always being visible are nice.

I use a combination of Switchy and Switchermod.

This is what my task switcher looks like:

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 31, 2013

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just picked up an iPhone 5 and it has 6.1.2 on it. I've remember reading that AT&T will get onto you if you jailbreak and install a tethering app. Is this also a problem with Sprint?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Been sitting on this for a while, but I just got a definitive answer to my issue so I'm cool posting this now.
I know it's not a big deal, but there were people here who wanted this toggle, so here it is.

The issue is, the developer of NCSettings somehow broke the new-toggle-detection in the latest version 1.7.1 (his words), so simply installing the .deb won't work. I have not tested it with any older versions, which may detect it just fine.
The way it has to be done until he fixes the issue (which he said he would do "sometime"), would be adding a string to the "Hidden" array with the value of "MatchInMusic" (case sensitive) in it's settings plist, located at /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.jamied360.ncsettings.plist.
Here's the link: http://limelinx.com/e1py6

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

akadajet posted:

I just picked up an iPhone 5 and it has 6.1.2 on it. I've remember reading that AT&T will get onto you if you jailbreak and install a tethering app. Is this also a problem with Sprint?
I don't know anything about Sprint other than it sucks rear end in my area, but AT&T can't tell if you install a tethering app. If you use it too much (like make it your primary net connection for your laptop or something) they might send you a nastygram and/or change your unlimited data plan to tiered. I've been tethering a half gig to a gig or so a month for years with no issues for whatever that's worth, and I still have my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Word is AT&T now allows free tethering on new tiered data plans, I guess to keep up with Verizon who is forced to do so by law due to the agreement they made with the FCC on that C-block spectrum purchase.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

randyest posted:

I don't know anything about Sprint other than it sucks rear end in my area, but AT&T can't tell if you install a tethering app. If you use it too much (like make it your primary net connection for your laptop or something) they might send you a nastygram and/or change your unlimited data plan to tiered. I've been tethering a half gig to a gig or so a month for years with no issues for whatever that's worth, and I still have my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Word is AT&T now allows free tethering on new tiered data plans, I guess to keep up with Verizon who is forced to do so by law due to the agreement they made with the FCC on that C-block spectrum purchase.

You mean to tell they CAN tell? Because I've gotten that angry message from them twice and I was using way less than half a gig.

I do have a question: I just noticed that I can make Facetime calls on 4G/LTE. I'm on unlimited data which should not allow such thing from happening. I haven't installed My3G or whatever unrestrictor is available from Cydia. In fact, the only JB crap I have is: Auxo/iCleaner/Nitrous/Springflash/YourTube and TetherMe/PDAnet (haven't actually used them). Do either of the last 2 enable mobile Facetime? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious what exactly allowed it. My girlfriend who's also on unlimited can't enable it so I'm guessing it's something I did on the jailbreak side of things.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 31, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You mean to tell they CAN tell? Because I've gotten that angry message from them twice and I was using way less than half a gig.
I meant they can't tell you've installed such an app, just if you use it. Slight distinction, and of course what's the point of installing if not to use it, but I just wanted to clarify that.

We're you tethering to a laptop or a desktop? I almost always tether an iPad (or two) though I have tethered my laptop a few times.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

First time way back when was to a laptop (mainly to email/download a plan or two while on a job site), second time was to an iPad.

Right now I have TetherMe in case of an emergency but I'm going to unfortunately be merging plans in a couple of months and switching to tiered data so tethering will be a non-issue.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

randyest posted:

I meant they can't tell you've installed such an app, just if you use it. Slight distinction, and of course what's the point of installing if not to use it, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Sorry for not being specific enough for you. :rolleyes:

Yes. I mean that I want to use a tethering app on Sprint.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

akadajet posted:

Sorry for not being specific enough for you. :rolleyes:

Yes. I mean that I want to use a tethering app on Sprint.
Sorry for being too specific for you, I guess? It's not unreasonable for someone to think its possible to detect mere installation of a tethering app. I gave you all the info I have but if you're dissatisfied you can have a full refund.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I do have a question: I just noticed that I can make Facetime calls on 4G/LTE. I'm on unlimited data which should not allow such thing from happening. I haven't installed My3G or whatever unrestrictor is available from Cydia. In fact, the only JB crap I have is: Auxo/iCleaner/Nitrous/Springflash/YourTube and TetherMe/PDAnet (haven't actually used them). Do either of the last 2 enable mobile Facetime? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious what exactly allowed it. My girlfriend who's also on unlimited can't enable it so I'm guessing it's something I did on the jailbreak side of things.

Wait? You are restricted from mobile FaceTime usually? Hasn't that been standard since 4/4S? I can confirm that before my iPhone 5 jailbreak FT was good to go on my data plan/phone.

I think what you mean is it shouldn't allow it to happen but I might be wrong? In any case I can confirm mobile FaceTime on a 5 that isn't jailbroken.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Wait? You are restricted from mobile FaceTime usually? Hasn't that been standard since 4/4S? I can confirm that before my iPhone 5 jailbreak FT was good to go on my data plan/phone.

I think what you mean is it shouldn't allow it to happen but I might be wrong? In any case I can confirm mobile FaceTime on a 5 that isn't jailbroken.

Mobile facetime is only allowed on tiered data plans. Generally on grandfathered unlimited data plans (AT&T) you get this:

if you try to toggle Use Cellular Data on Settings-Facetime. Somehow my phone enabled it and I can now do mobile Facetime on an unlimited plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mobile facetime is only allowed on tiered data plans. Generally on grandfathered unlimited data plans (AT&T) you get this:

if you try to toggle Use Cellular Data on Settings-Facetime. Somehow my phone enabled it and I can now do mobile Facetime on an unlimited plan.

Wow, I have been educated. I've never had that happen to me in sheltered ole Canadia

• Locked thread