Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't think he's an antagonist but there's just something about him that feels off or insincere.

edit for top of page: regarding Erwin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I can see him becoming an eleventh hour antagonist. The Titans are defeated, humanity's looking good, but there's still the chance that someone could try and recreate the Titans, so everything associated with them must be destroyed, including Eren.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I don't think Erwin is the type to abandon a useful tool. If he figures out how to make more Titans, he is going to abuse the poo poo out of that ability. Armen will initially support him, but his friends will teach him that some things can't be sacrificed.

My :catdrugs: ending prediction: to fight Monkey Trouble, Erwin is going to use the Basement's knowledge to forcibly convert vast swathes of humanity into idiot titans. Then Eren, as Titan Commander, will lead them into a final Ragnarok. Everyone dies.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Erwin is probably guaranteed to commit an atrocity for the sake of beating the titans. Armin is following him to a T and this is gonna create problems for the team down the line. Jean, in particular, since he has been shown to be critical of Erwin's plans in the past.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

DentedLamp posted:

Is anyone else getting major "antagonist" vibes from Erwin?

No. His freaky smile in the recovery room wasn't psychopathy. He just realized that the titans are humans, and Eren has the power to brainwash people and prove his father's theory right. Basically in that moment one of his life's ambitions are realized. With Eren's help he can make his father's death not in vain and punish those responsible. I think everyone is right and if they win the civil war without Erwin dying he will essentially become the de facto leader. He'll start making some questionable decisions however because that's a constant theme to Erwin.

Even though it seems Erwin's death is inevitable in the series, I kinda hope he survives because not only would nobody expect that but the character himself expects his death. If the conspirators are defeated and there is some kind of tenuous peace without a need for a survey corp or his leadership anymore, what would Erwin do with his life after that? He didn't confess his feelings to Maria because he never expected to live as long as he has. Erwin's given up his life for humanity so having to live on would be an interesting "punishment" for him.

As far as "Antagonist vibes" I think Historia's tutor is the secret big bad of the series.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 28, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I mean antagonistic in the sense that he eventually exploits the current opportunities for greater power in completely monstrous ways, potentially going somewhat overboard in both his quest to validate his father's meaningless death and in justification of questionable decisions that ultimately serve as an affirmation of his status as Ubermensch Leader of Humanity, etc. And, well, becoming yet another enemy of our protagonists, in the process.

Just look at the inclusion of Pixis' offhand threat to Erwin, and Armin's mention of how they're no longer good people; what else can they be but hints that Erwin's revolution will end with him as a possibly antagonistic autocrat?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DentedLamp posted:

Is anyone else getting major "antagonist" vibes from Erwin?

Every character in the scouting legion is giving antagonist vibes besides Jean. Remember the power trio of this series consists of a strategist who every now and then has to be remind that morals are a thing, a warrior who would do anything to protect those close to her and an idealist who at times seems to run on so much rage and hatred that even when he is not in his giant monstrosity form people are scared of him.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
So the royal family can't be involved with the human-titan faction because the King needs poors to continue his and his ilk's decadent lifestyle. The Human-Titans once said they intended to kill the rest of the humans.

I'm assuming here that there is something about regular non-titan humans that is abnormal. Normal humans can't read english/japanese because it is an 'old' language so everyone speaks something else but is translated for the reader automatically (the monkey-titan also uses this new language obviously since he communicates with the Survey Corp). Why would they have a different language, no oral history, etc. Are they dangerous? Powerful? Exploitable?

I have reason to believe certain human-titans if not all of them are actually over a century old. This includes Eren. Also the entire population of the walled cities are in fact latent Titans and the suppression of their past culture prevents the Titan manifestations from appearing outside of Grape Ape's influence. Since the method the ape uses is unknown, we do know that it doesn't require physical contact. Which means that Titanism is either a virus, or it is something all humans now have but is not activated until a certain vocal command is given by monkey-titan, if it's the latter Eren would most likely also have this ability as well as some other human-titans.

Here are a few examples of poo poo theories that are probably not true:

1. Meteor or some kind of extraterrestrial artifact that is the cause of Titanism, this artifact may also be the home of the human-titan faction. The giant forest is also further proof that there is something there that caused them to grow so large (they are never explained as California Redwoods).

2. Most of the people afflicted with Titanism did not survive the transformation and have since lost their original bodies and are now mindless. It may have been possible that there was a rite of passage among the local culture that allowed someone to attempt Titanism and if failed was outcast but still considered human in a respectful sense, much like we do with our severely debilitated populace (geriatrics, severe mental handicaps, etc). This could explain why Annie killed the two captured Titans (however she could also have killed them because the Titanism secret could be obtained from them somehow).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok, just finished watching this series. Holy snapping poo poo that was good!

But...

Is there plans to do a second season. Googling around tells me theres another 20 thereabouts manga chapters done since roughly where the anime leaves off in the story line, is there any hints out there on this?

Also. Titans in walls? Wut?

Or should I just go and hit up the comic store for the mangas?

edit: Oh poo poo this is the manga thread. My apologies.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
We should probably consider renaming this thread, with how many anime stragglers show up by accident.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Its pretty spoilery!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

We should probably consider renaming this thread, with how many anime stragglers show up by accident.

I was thinking about saying this last time. Should be Attack on Titan Manga thread.

That being said Duckmonster you should consider checking out the manga. It's better than the animation in a lot of ways, with much better pacing and so on. It's a great story and the anime doesn't really give justice how deep the rabbit hole really goes. I'd recommend starting on chapter 33 if you want to pick up right where the show left off.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 31, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yep, turns out my girlfriends daughter has been following them pretty religiously, so I'll borrow her stack and settle down for an afternoon reading em.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I was thinking about saying this last time. Should be Attack on Titan Manga thread.

That being said Duckmonster you should consider checking out the manga. It's better than the animation in a lot of ways, with much better pacing and so on. It's a great story and the anime doesn't really give justice how deep the rabbit hole really goes. I'd recommend starting on chapter 33 if you want to pick up right where the show left off.

I actually prefer how the anime put all of the training in chronological order: I found it made the initial Trost District clusterfuck all the more grim/hilarious.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cryophage posted:

I actually prefer how the anime put all of the training in chronological order: I found it made the initial Trost District clusterfuck all the more grim/hilarious.

Yeah I like it too but on the other hand there was so much build-up for Eren that some people could assume that he was alive even after being devoured. I have a friend who was a virgin to the series who instantly knew that Rogue Titan was Eren. Without the training sequence there wasn't as much buildup for Eren so the audience could assume he really was dead and just a decoy protagonist.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah I like it too but on the other hand there was so much build-up for Eren that some people could assume that he was alive even after being devoured. I have a friend who was a virgin to the series who instantly knew that Rogue Titan was Eren. Without the training sequence there wasn't as much buildup for Eren so the audience could assume he really was dead and just a decoy protagonist.

To be fair it's pretty obvious in both the anime and the manga that that the Rouge titan is Eren as soon as Mikasa starts talking about him representing humanity's collective anger.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Saagonsa posted:

To be fair it's pretty obvious in both the anime and the manga that that the Rouge titan is Eren as soon as Mikasa starts talking about him representing humanity's collective anger.

Yeah, as soon as it threw up its dukes, it was pretty clear that it was Eren. But before that, I honestly thought that the series was moving its focus to Armin and Mikasa.
After demonstrating that all of the training we had watched amounted to nothing against the titans, I was fully willing to accept that the traditional shounen protagonist had been a massive fakeout as well.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Spoof on Titan 18

In this episode, Sasha doesn't eat! Armin doesn't get nervous and pass out! Eren isn't oblivious to Mikasa's feelings!
because they aren't in this episode, for gently caress's sake

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Missing Name posted:

You son of a......

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's that time again. Chapter 56's chinese release is out!

http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/2291

Chapter highlights:

Eren wakes up, having remembered his conversation with Reiner and Berthold.

Sanes is put in a cell with his partner. "Sanes: The ones in charge of this role was predestined by the Gods…even if I leave the stage, others will take over and continue the charade…Because of this, our positions will never go away. Keep up the good work, Hanji…"

The plan of her ascension is revealed to Historia and she doesn't take it well.

Levi makes a violent speech to Historia about the necessity of her mission.

Eren and Historia are to be given to the interior police squad, where the Survey Corps and Reebs Corporation can doublecross them then learn the truth from Rod Reiss. Erwin plans to stand aside and follow his orders again if Rod's answers as to the conspiracy are acceptable to him.

The interior squad shows up, commanded by the man in the hat. Historia recognizes him instantly. His name is Captain Ackerman. It's probably just the art style, but he hasn't aged a single day.

Ackerman is smart, and senses the doublecross. He sets preparations to ambush the Survey Corps with his "Suppression Squad". There is a woman in robes with them. Ackermann alludes that they are just as capable as the survey corps.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Missing Name posted:

Spoof on Titan 18

In this episode, Sasha doesn't eat! Armin doesn't get nervous and pass out! Eren isn't oblivious to Mikasa's feelings!

I seriously had no idea who that was until I had to remember what group Annie was in after graduating and Hitch looks like a cat in this style a bit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's that time again. Chapter 56's chinese release is out!

http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/2291

Chapter highlights:

Eren wakes up, having remembered his conversation with Reiner and Berthold.

Sanes is put in a cell with his partner. "Sanes: The ones in charge of this role was predestined by the Gods…even if I leave the stage, others will take over and continue the charade…Because of this, our positions will never go away. Keep up the good work, Hanji…"

The plan of her ascension is revealed to Historia and she doesn't take it well.

Levi makes a violent speech to Historia about the necessity of her mission.

Eren and Historia are to be given to the interior police squad, where the Survey Corps and Reebs Corporation can doublecross them then learn the truth from Rod Reiss. Erwin plans to stand aside and follow his orders again if Rod's answers as to the conspiracy are acceptable to him.

The interior squad shows up, commanded by the man in the hat. Historia recognizes him instantly. His name is Captain Ackermann. It's probably just the art style, but he hasn't aged a single day.

Ackermann is smart, and senses the doublecross. He sets preparations to ambush the Survey Corps with his "Suppression Squad". There is a woman in robes with them. Ackermann alludes that they are just as capable as the survey corps.

Is that the same spelling in Japanese as Mikasa's last name?

EDIT: Er, chinese.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 5, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

RatHat posted:

Is that the same spelling in Japanese as Mikasa's last name?

EDIT: Er, chinese.

Yes. One of his subordinates calls him Captain Ackerman.

What's interesting about this beyond the Ackermans being in on it, it opens the door to the idea the men sent to kidnap Mrs. Ackerman and Mikasa was sent by central. I've always wondered if they were members of the conspiracy because they were friends with Eren's father but there was no evidence.

There is a recurring theme if this is true though, girls and young women are collected by the conspirators for some reason.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 5, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I thought we saw Mikasa's dad die, however... what is going on? A relative?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Ackerman is smart, and senses the doublecross. He sets preparations to ambush the Survey Corps with his "Suppression Squad". There is a woman in robes with them. Ackermann alludes that they are just as capable as the survey corps.

Well, anyone ready to whip out the "oh poo poo the top Survey Corps brass is gonna die" speculation again? Though the MPs have an established streak of being full of themselves

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The MPs are still made out of the top ten recruits of every year except this one's. They aren't without their cockiness or laziness after a few years, but if the MP fields what they call a top-tier squad, I'd take them at their word.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://worldofchicken.tumblr.com/post/81839432722

Levi Ackerman?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

This opens another can of worms.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Has Levi ever indicated that the knows Mikasa's last name? I know Hanji said she hadn't had time to learn all the new guys names, but that was weeks ago now and Levi as been spending a lot of time around Mikasa lately.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Honestly I feel like this is the first bit of actual bad writing from the author. There has been no foreshadowing whatsoever and feels like "Well Mikasa is a badass, so I want her family to be badasses. I guess Levi has to be an Ackerman too". Not to mention Levi should have learned her last name by now and set off an alarm. It's redundant writing. We don't need to know Levi's last name and he doesn't need to have one. Maybe? This might end up being good though, just first impressions it kinda sucks.

That being said I do like the introduction of Captain Ackerman however because it sets off a lot more alarms, and you can start to assume a lot of things like Mikasa's capture as a child was his idea, or maybe just a coincidence. It sets a trend that little girls are being collected by the central conspirators as well. That and it builds an antagonist character for Historia, Levi, and Mikasa.

Levi's birth parents probably aren't Ackermans, and Captain Ackerman adopted him. He doesn't look like an Ackerman, whereas the Captain and Mikasa's father look sorta similar. But then Isayama's drawing has gotten way better so the style is a bit different.

http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/6/9/ Mikasa's father.

http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/56/37/ Captain Ackerman.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2014

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've been avoiding spoilers because I have just blitzed the first season on Netflix and love it. I'd love to read the manga, but due to being too busy I am basically reduced to having media on the second monitor while I art!

Is there a place here for people to conjecture and talk about the Attack on Titan series who only watch the anime? (PM me?)

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

uglynoodles posted:

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've been avoiding spoilers because I have just blitzed the first season on Netflix and love it. I'd love to read the manga, but due to being too busy I am basically reduced to having media on the second monitor while I art!

Is there a place here for people to conjecture and talk about the Attack on Titan series who only watch the anime? (PM me?)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542537&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

We really need to update this thread's name so it's clear that spoiler-heavy manga discussion lies ahead.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Welp... it looks like the original plan just went to poo poo. Granted, I guess that's to be expected when we're dealing with Levi's mentor/father(?) here. It is pretty weird that Levi hasn't mentioned anything about he and Mikasa having the same surname. I would think that if anyone would know something like that, it would be him.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 7, 2014

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly I feel like this is the first bit of actual bad writing from the author. There has been no foreshadowing whatsoever and feels like "Well Mikasa is a badass, so I want her family to be badasses. I guess Levi has to be an Ackerman too". Not to mention Levi should have learned her last name by now and set off an alarm. It's redundant writing. We don't need to know Levi's last name and he doesn't need to have one. Maybe? This might end up being good though, just first impressions it kinda sucks.

Yeah... I wouldn't say it's the first time I thought the writing took a dip but this Ackerman twist is one of the lowest yet. I'll wait to see how it plays out but right now it reads like it was ripped from the pages of fanfiction. I'm more eager to see the conversation between Hange and Erwin once she tells him what Eren remembered.

And the last page shows a panel of Levi standing around in the woods, is he just watching all this unfold?

VVV http://imgur.com/DaNt21K
リヴァイ アッカーマン

So, not a mistranslation. Unfortunately.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 7, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm hoping it's a mistranslation. Are we sure it's the exact same characters?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Because apparently the MANGA tag wasn't enough, and after receiving several PMs about it, I've added a manga to the thread title as well. I've also stuck some links in both OPs, not that anyone reads those anyway!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

yellowyams posted:

Yeah... I wouldn't say it's the first time I thought the writing took a dip but this Ackerman twist is one of the lowest yet. I'll wait to see how it plays out but right now it reads like it was ripped from the pages of fanfiction. I'm more eager to see the conversation between Hange and Erwin once she tells him what Eren remembered.

And the last page shows a panel of Levi standing around in the woods, is he just watching all this unfold?

VVV http://imgur.com/DaNt21K
リヴァイ アッカーマン

So, not a mistranslation. Unfortunately.

Maybe he just doesn't know? We know literally nothing about Levi except who he is as a person, but not where he came from. Looking up his backstory apparently he lived in an underground city as a thug but that's mentioned in a spinoff manga apparentlly. He's probably an orphan or something along those lines and doesn't know his full name.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Maybe it is just a red herring? Ackermann is a ridiculously common surname, literally meaning "Peasant" or "Fieldworker" in an agricultural society. Although I get that it is a Manga and that names are important because otherwise why mention it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ArchangeI posted:

Maybe it is just a red herring? Ackermann is a ridiculously common surname, literally meaning "Peasant" or "Fieldworker" in an agricultural society. Although I get that it is a Manga and that names are important because otherwise why mention it?

In real life, you can have two friends named Tom Smith and that's perfectly fine. In a piece of fiction, it's unnecessary to have multiple characters with the same name as all it does is create unneeded confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm fairly certain Levi referred to Mikasa as Ackerman before. He's never been introduced as something other than "Captain Levi", and being an orphan, it's likely that neither he nor anyone else in the Survey Corps knows his name. I think it's fine, and I have enough faith in Isayama to believe he'll make it good.