Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

7lip posted:

My Mondo copy of the Drive OST showed up today, it`s one of the pink ones. :woop:

Also, was given this haul the other day:

A lot of the jackets are quite haggard but the records I actually stopped to peek at looked pretty good.

70s and 80s rock to the max. :rock:

That's awesome! And do you mean "given" as in someone just gave it to you for free? If so, that's even more awesome (although it's awesome either way). I've bought a few collections in the past; flipping through them is so much fun.

Also, I found this recently. It might be mildly :nws:

I haven't played it yet, although the wife has tentatively agreed to "test" it out in the way it's meant to be tested, which will probably be awkward and funny at the same time. I'm predicting some sleazy, "ba-wah wah waaaaah"-ing saxophone action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

izationalizer posted:

That's awesome! And do you mean "given" as in someone just gave it to you for free?

Yep, my mom's co-worker's husband was all like "I don't listen to this poo poo and we're moving and I don't want to move it grumble grumble I'm old". So I moved it for him.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My local record store has been buying some really cool stuff and I picked this http://www.jackwolak.com/nirvana---lp---live-wire---australia---item-366461.aspx up tonite. It's a pretty amazing live LP if you like Nirvana.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

beergod posted:

My local record store has been buying some really cool stuff and I picked this http://www.jackwolak.com/nirvana---lp---live-wire---australia---item-366461.aspx up tonite. It's a pretty amazing live LP if you like Nirvana.

How is the sound on that?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
It's perfect. Taken from the soundboard.

MrGenlock
Jun 8, 2013

I'm president of mind, body and yung money cash money
I bought this a few days ago, it's "Pearl Mystic" by Leeds-based band Hookworms. Its a nice album, a little thin physically and has hardly any aural sculpting. Everyone I know thinks this is going to be BROOOTAL hipster black metal, because that also gets me off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Saw Metric last wednesday, picked up a vinyl. Finally put it on the ol' turntable today and it's warped to loving hell.

This sucks :smith:

:smith: vvvv :smith:

Sockser fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 11, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Saw Metric last wednesday, picked up a vinyl. Finally put it on the ol' turntable today and it's warped to loving hell.

This sucks :smith:

It's because you called a record a "vinyl". It committed suicide.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Did I ever tell you guys I got an old Shellac player to play my Shellacs on?

That's what you sound like when you say vinyls.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Now, if Shellac had put out a record on shellac...

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
From what I've seen of their records, that seems like something they would do.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
This thing took like 3 weeks to leave Russia but I am glad it's finally here:

:worship:

There's a little bit of skipping in the first track of each side because of a little warp but it's still the most listenable copy I've got (I have 3 different copies). Now all I need is Red :)

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 12, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Sockser posted:

I bought 'Fear Yourself' by Daniel Johnston from his web shop and that came.. well a little bit convex. I think it is saveable on the next really hot day (which is coming soon, rainy season only lasts so long) if I am optimistic which gently caress it I am. I couldn't complain about it as I think his dad runs the webshop and after I ordered it I sent them an email (Paypal mangles my address and I wanted to confirm it) and he sent me a lovely little email with "thank you for supporting Daniel" in it and I just couldn't..

For some reason 'Friend and Foe' by Menomena is like ¥850 ($8?) or something delivered on amazon.co.jp so got that, it looks beautiful (see here!), you can rotate the cover to change it and, being a Craig Thompson fan, it is a lovely thing.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

shmee posted:

saveable on the next really hot day

Use a hairdryer and heavy books, much more controlled

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Has anybody received their Phantom Menace LP?

Amazon is having trouble sending me Sunbather, think that might be the last time I order from them :/

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

shmee posted:

For some reason 'Friend and Foe' by Menomena is like ¥850 ($8?) or something delivered on amazon.co.jp so got that, it looks beautiful (see here!), you can rotate the cover to change it and, being a Craig Thompson fan, it is a lovely thing.

Menomena's covers are loving awesome. The jacket for the first pressing of "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" is up there with my favorite jacket designs ever. It unfolds into a "fun blame monster," and the record comes out of its mouth:

The CD version is cool, too; it's an animated flipbook.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

is there a thread where we jerk each other off about boards of canada vinyl?

hell yes

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Did someone say Sunbather?

It's so beautiful. And I had no problems ordering it from Deathwish.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

izationalizer posted:

Menomena's covers are loving awesome. The jacket for the first pressing of "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" is up there with my favorite jacket designs ever. It unfolds into a "fun blame monster," and the record comes out of its mouth:

The CD version is cool, too; it's an animated flipbook.

Nice, I'll look out for it, never actually got that album but I like pretty much everything else they have done, and that looks badass.

Reminds me that I should turn the EITS album into a house sometime:

(NOTE: not my terrible saturated instagram)

david puddy posted:

Use a hairdryer and heavy books, much more controlled

Cool will give it a try, I have a nice flat clean table I can do it on when I'm feeling capable.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Doctor Cave posted:

It's so beautiful. And I had no problems ordering it from Deathwish.

I refuse to believe anyone has ever had a problem ordering from Deathwish.

Well, I have had them email me a couple times and say something I ordered was out of stock but they were really quick about letting me know. Whereas amazon runs out of stuff and then just kinda hopes they get more eventually before you cancel your order.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

It's Summer time. If only I could take all of my records outside in the heat and sun to listen to them by the pool and/or BBQ pit.

http://www.insound.com/stuff-we-like/swl_ind.php?id=1070

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Polyvinyl have their Garage Sale going again. Might be in less than perfect condition, but good prices. Also, there's a random LP option for $4, which I think is new. Looks like they axed "utr" for 15% off, but "youtube" for 10% off still worked.

http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/index.php?listID=191

Snagged the last Shugo Tokumaru record (his new one). Hopefully pick up the other at his show in July.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I Might Be Adam posted:

It's Summer time. If only I could take all of my records outside in the heat and sun to listen to them by the pool and/or BBQ pit.

http://www.insound.com/stuff-we-like/swl_ind.php?id=1070

Between never listening to my records, and listening to a Crosley, I'll choose to never hear them again. Crosley has this unique ability to make records sound like they are terribly warped... and yet when I play them on a normal platter, the warping is gone. I suspect that's because Crosley believes that a full 12" platter is the spawn of Stan, and will have nothing to do with it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I think they are also afraid of metal.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

im afraid of metal too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Well hello Vinyl Thread. Looks like it's time for another Electric Bugaloo photodump.

I know you guys love those- especially CPL593H. He can't get enough of them.

Here's a box:

Ooh that's a big box. There must be like twenty schweet vinyls in there...

Nope.

Those sure look like some sturdy dividers....

Guess what? They totally are

And here's the end result:

Resleeving and bagging is annoying labor. It's been 2 weeks of off-and-on work and I'm not remotely done, but that's because I usually take 30 minutes or so out of the day to do a handful of albums when I feel like it.

I went with two sizes of bags: 12.75" and 13". One batch of the 12.75" has flaps. In retrospect I wouldn't have ordered them, as all the flaps do is get in the way and make me annoyed. Fortunately, I burned through those pretty quickly and there's another, larger (unpictured) box of sleeves and bags sans-flaps. The 12.75" bags are more than adequate to hold most albums, even most doubles and the vast majority of 180-grams. A lot of new stuff with fancy thick packaging, triple/quadruple LPs, and multiples (I bag them together like a weirdo, with a paper sleeve between them) tend to be a bit big for those, but they always fit perfectly in the 13" ones.

My recommendation for anyone planning on doing this is to order about a hundred 13" bags and ballpark the rest of their collection with 12.75". I went with the pre-printed plastic dividers. I've seen the cardboard ones, and they're sturdy too- but not nearly as tough and bend/dirt/moisture-proof.

Here, have a link: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-57-audio.aspx

-But what about vinyls?

Chill your tits, I've spent money on those too.

I've bought stupid hipster poo poo:

...and oldies too:

Every single one of those records is in fantastic shape. The cover of My Aim is True is jacked up in the corner but the record is loving pristine. Not a bad haul for a total of :10bux: (the oldies, not the hipster poo poo).

Ann Pragg's Bitter Fruit. The package is really nicely done and the album inside sounds gorgeous.

Oh yeah, I found Foot Foot under my mailbox the other day too. I'm so happy that I impulse-splurged on that copy (and huge apologies to anyone here who'd been watching it). VG+ be damned, both the sleeve and album are as near-mint as possible IMO. The disc is devoid of blemishes and it sounds wonderful- aside from holding some of the worst music ever slapped on wax. The album was packed and shipped by someone who clearly knew what the hell they were doing and I'd definitely order from those guys again in the future.

Fors Yard posted:

Polyvinyl have their Garage Sale going again. Might be in less than perfect condition, but good prices. Also, there's a random LP option for $4, which I think is new. Looks like they axed "utr" for 15% off, but "youtube" for 10% off still worked.

http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/index.php?listID=191

Snagged the last Shugo Tokumaru record (his new one). Hopefully pick up the other at his show in July.

Has anyone bought anything from the Garage Sale before? I've got my eye on some :10bux: Deerhoof but I want to know how much "imperfection" to expect.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I suspect that's because Crosley believes that a full 12" platter is the spawn of Stan, and will have nothing to do with it.

:argh:CURSE YOU STAN!!!! :argh:

It's because Crosley, the company, hasn't existed since the 1970's and the "Crosley" name is owned by a conglomerate that markets dirt-cheap garbage to the sort of people who don't know any better and would buy chintzy $150 plastic nostalgia machines at Urban Outfitters or Target.

You should also never listen to a Crosley because aside from sounding bad, the combination non-floating tonearm/cheese wire stylus will absolutely wreck your LPs.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I'm in the market for alphabetical dividers, where did you get them?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
If you are in Toronto go to the Independent Label Market Saturday at Ryerson, there will be a shitload of rare stuff and some things especially for the show, like this:

http://exclaim.ca/News/hilotrons_unveil_fisher_price_music_box_record_for_independent_label_market_at_nxne

All the good Canadian labels will be there: Participating labels include Paper Bag, Arts & Crafts, the Outside Music Label, Last Gang, Static Clang, Nevado, Maple Music, Beggars Group, Aporia, Six Shooter, We Are Busy Bodies, Royal Mountain, Kelp and more.

https://www.facebook.com/events/527123834010511/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm in the market for alphabetical dividers, where did you get them?

The link's under the pictures.
In the "audio" section.
https://www.bagsunlimited.com

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Well hello Vinyl Thread. Looks like it's time for another Electric Bugaloo photodump.

I know you guys love those- especially CPL593H. He can't get enough of them.

What exactly are you implying?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The link's under the pictures.
In the "audio" section.
https://www.bagsunlimited.com

I've come close to ordering from here before, but couldn't decide on the gauge. Can you recommend a gauge, did you get the overkill ones?

e: Also can't wait to get a shipping quote :australia:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

What exactly are you implying?

Nothing dude. :)

Just that you're our resident sassy curmudgeon- and I figured my routine 10-photo haul posts might be annoying somebody.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nothing dude. :)

Just that you're our resident sassy curmudgeon

Somehow I like this designation.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

I've come close to ordering from here before, but couldn't decide on the gauge. Can you recommend a gauge, did you get the overkill ones?

I tried ordering from them once and they insisted that to pay I'd need to send my credit card details in an email. No thank you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

I went with the alphabet-printed 40 gauge ones. I'm really happy with them and they're more than sturdy enough for frequent use. I wouldn't use the thinner ones and the 50-gauge ones are longer than you'd want (for use in record store bins/retail displays).

david puddy posted:

I tried ordering from them once and they insisted that to pay I'd need to send my credit card details in an email. No thank you.

I placed one order with a card and another with PayPal, and I've never had anything like that happen to me. Are they giving you grief because you're ordering from overseas? If you have a PayPal account, I'd recommend using that.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Thanks! I'm looking foward to being able to find an album in less than 10 minutes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

Thanks! I'm looking foward to being able to find an album in less than 10 minutes.

:feelsgood:

Alphabetizing my LPs was one of the best things I've spent an entire evening doing and I feel like an idiot for not having done it from the very beginning.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I feel a bit silly for asking, but is there an easy way to do it? I must have spent about 8 hours just trying to get about half of them into letter groups before I gave up. It might be better to just take them all out at once. I was taking 3 or so expedit cubes out at a time, then sorting them into letters. Maybe the trick is going all or nothing!

:spergin:

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Ron Burgundy posted:

I feel a bit silly for asking, but is there an easy way to do it?
:spergin:

Do it from the beginning.

At this point I have around 1400 records but I don't need alphabetical dividers because I know where every letter is. The only hard part is V/A slash Miscellaneous which takes me about a minute to find a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
quote is not edit