Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i will hopefully be seeing Grizzly Bear and Spoon tomorrow. however it's an outdoor venue and the forecast is a 90-100F heat index and likely thunderstorms at the same time :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I'll be praying for you friend. It was a great show.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Voidz was amazing live. But The Met in pawtucket, RI has some of the worst sound quality I've ever heard in my life. Hour long sound check, still loads of harsh feedback all the time. During Human Sadness Julian Casablancas started mic checking during the bridge it was so bad.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if this soothes your cognitive dissonance, great. i on the other hand will not support anything he's involved with because he thinks it's fine to spend decades casually spouting white nationalist talking points, saying mcdonalds is worse than genocide, etc. the fact that he's too stupid or self-absorbed to understand what he's doing doesn't change the fact that i don't want to live in a society where there is no consequence for saying the awful things he does. me not supporting him is the tiniest of tiny levers (and ultimately may not even matter), but it is an easy choice to make and the right thing to do

I've stopped listening to him as well. It's painful because what he's become is the opposite of the role he played - he was someone who understood those who didn't fit in. But in recent years, he's become self obsessed and callous, and almost seems to think that if he's offending people, he's doing something right.

I don't know what happened, but it's not the Morrissey I first got into. I think part of it was he didn't age gracefully. He never could accept that his record companies weren't going to give him the same promotional muscle they did back the late 80s and early 90s. And overtime, he's pushed away everyone who wouldn't deal with his bullshit, and now he lives in an echo chamber.

Bengali in Platforms was a pretty bad song, but I always felt at his heart was sympathy for the subject. But I think if he wrote that song today, he would have nothing but hatred.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Buschmaki posted:

I'm seeing Voidz and Porches tonight. To be completely honest, I'm dreading Porches a little but at least hopeful it will sound good live, but am extremely hype for Voidz.

Is this his low-key/solo set? If it is, I agree, but with a full band he put on a good show even with his new album being a little more subdued

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It was his full band, and he did a single solo song. They were good but just not my thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I'll be praying for you friend. It was a great show.

boy there sure are a lot of sweaty white people out here. grizzly bear's dreamy wall of guitar noise is kind of a perfect counterpoint to standing around in hot air that you could cut with a knife though :shobon:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Would like to hear your opinion on this. Was it just me or was Two Weeks like...the worst song of the set? Felt very limp

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Would like to hear your opinion on this. Was it just me or was Two Weeks like...the worst song of the set? Felt very limp

Iiiiiiiit’s been

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlDauFIaDcw

I loving love this song.

Catacombs
Jul 3, 2018

drat. That is pretty good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

idk. it was fine? I'm a pretty casual fan of both bands :ssh:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
All signs suggest that Ed Droste would be pretty lukewarm on still playing his biggest hit almost ten years after the fact.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Got back from seeing Phoenix, and they were alright. But holy poo poo this dude called Leather Can opened for them and was absolutely killer. Here's a song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMQjwg8apY

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Been listening to the Shy Boys "Take the Doggie" lately as a soothing balm against the crud of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELl3aAgzJfM

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

What is it? I only get "video not available"

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Jim James - Too Good to be true

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the new Let's Eat Grandma is definitely top 10 album of the year for me, though it can't knock off In a Poem Unlimited just because that album is, like, unimaginably spectacular from start to finish, where this is merely good-to-fantastic

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Bnhkya5cGltQFTrnC0grx?si=-sP1R_SPT5KgAEY72YabCA

Hot Pink is a SOPHIE banger btw if you need some extra reason to listen

man I'm still mad that when I saw US Girls it was at a club in Amsterdam that had loving awful acoustics and a weirdly disinterested crowd. I think I'm going to go to the big show The National are putting on at Forest Hills Stadium that has US Girls/Future Islands/Cat Power/Bully on it so I can see US Girls again (and Future Islands for the first time). I think The National are a band that is bland and boring as poo poo but I guess I'd give them a shot too

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2018

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
i literally never heard of let's eat grandma and boy is that a dumb name but yeah the new album really grabbed me. indie surprise of the year for me so far since i had no expectations going in

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Princeps32 posted:

i literally never heard of let's eat grandma and boy is that a dumb name but yeah the new album really grabbed me. indie surprise of the year for me so far since i had no expectations going in

Did they come out of no where, or are they bigger in the UK?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lets Eat Grandma had a pretty good record debut record last year, but this one is on a whole other level. Its really loving good.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
NPR's Bob Bollen et. al. have been going on about them for a couple years at least.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT_IlY0A4_0

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Princeps32 posted:

i literally never heard of let's eat grandma and boy is that a dumb name

the other day i was riding in the car thinking "oh this song is kinda cool" so i looked down at the radio display to see Let's Eat Grandma and just :pwn:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

the new Let's Eat Grandma is definitely top 10 album of the year for me, though it can't knock off In a Poem Unlimited just because that album is, like, unimaginably spectacular from start to finish, where this is merely good-to-fantastic

Hot Pink is a SOPHIE banger btw if you need some extra reason to listen

man I'm still mad that when I saw US Girls it was at a club in Amsterdam that had loving awful acoustics and a weirdly disinterested crowd. I think I'm going to go to the big show The National are putting on at Forest Hills Stadium that has US Girls/Future Islands/Cat Power/Bully on it so I can see US Girls again (and Future Islands for the first time). I think The National are a band that is bland and boring as poo poo but I guess I'd give them a shot too

The National actually rule live, way better than on record.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

bows1 posted:

The National actually rule live, way better than on record.

Av crew chiming in. This is still mostly true, but the shows I saw from 2008-13 were better than the ones from the past few years. Still great, but a notch or so below the peak of what I saw

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

It's a banning month for UK albums. Google recommended me that and Tropics - Nocturnal Souls. This album is currently on infinite repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MCbccuH7s

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
drat the Snail Mail album fuckin rules.

but honestly is their anything out there like Dirty Projectors? They are all I can listen to right now and nothing else compares.

Nahoj
Nov 14, 2014

bows1 posted:

Came here to talk about snail mail. Such a great album, if you live under a rock and haven’t heard Julien Baker yet you should also listen to her first tiny desk/some of her studio stuff

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bows1 posted:

but honestly is their anything out there like Dirty Projectors? They are all I can listen to right now and nothing else compares.

I'm so pissed because I had to leave the city when Snail Mail played last weekend :(:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Posting this for no reason besides me listening to it / watching it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbFljMLIY8

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
the mountain goats are better than they have any right to be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah for real thanks to the L.E.G. recommend. Loving that.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Yeah for real thanks to the L.E.G. recommend. Loving that.

Ya, hot drat this is what I needed. I haven't found anything new or gone to a show in a awhile; drat festival season.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Are they better, US Girls? They opened for The Kills like five years ago and I remember just laughing at how bad they were. They are playing a free show here in a few months.

E>> bleh, double post, not edit.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Slandible posted:

Are they better, US Girls? They opened for The Kills like five years ago and I remember just laughing at how bad they were. They are playing a free show here in a few months.

E>> bleh, double post, not edit.

U.S. Girls is touring as an eight-piece band and are absolutely worth checking out this album cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvio6FFtbQ

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

interpunct posted:

U.S. Girls is touring as an eight-piece band and are absolutely worth checking out this album cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvio6FFtbQ

Mad i found them late. Brooklyn Steel is the best venue in the city and this would have ruled

Nahoj
Nov 14, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm so pissed because I had to leave the city when Snail Mail played last weekend :(:

They’re playing in my city on Sunday really conflicted if I want to go or not, have to wake up early for work the next day but also am loving the album so much

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The National is playing a Lolla after show on 8/2, also at the Metro. So now I'm seeing Chvrches there on 8/1 and The National there on 8/2 :dance:

It's not my favorite song, but would be kind of cool to see Berninger and Lauren play My Enemy at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I know some of y'all also really liked those King Princess tracks, so if you're interested she finally put out an EP.

https://soundcloud.com/kingprincessmusic/sets/make-my-bed-1

Mostly previews on there, but you can buy it on Amazon or whatever now and it's so goddamn good.