Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Watching Kessel experience The Cost of Magic for the first time was an amazing experience I'll never forget, largely because I couldn't stop laughing at how many times he got killed :v:

I distinctly remember the point where I gave up and dodged vampires in a circus cage under the objective while you picked it up above me because the game doesn't understand the concept of z-axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So it prepared you for the map in GW2 HoT, you mean.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I saw this on twitter while looking for patchnotes yesterday:
https://twitter.com/Rebel230/status/725338105100832769
:eyepop:

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
https://youtu.be/7kKope4-S3M

CoM is the easiest AP/time. Don't corpse hop, just put on a ton of HP and heal gear.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

I distinctly remember the point where I gave up and dodged vampires in a circus cage under the objective while you picked it up above me because the game doesn't understand the concept of z-axis
:smugmrgw:

revenance posted:

https://youtu.be/7kKope4-S3M

CoM is the easiest AP/time. Don't corpse hop, just put on a ton of HP and heal gear.
But yes, this is it, really. I normally do it with my leech heal gear and substitute a couple of attack items for tanking items and it's easy peasy.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Issue 15 was released and I'm not entirely sure what it is from the advertising. Do the "15 new missions" include the missions from the side stories or is it 15 new missions in addition to the side stories? It's free to me either way since I bought the side stories, but I'm confused what 0 dollars will buy me.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

TracerM17 posted:

Issue 15 was released and I'm not entirely sure what it is from the advertising. Do the "15 new missions" include the missions from the side stories or is it 15 new missions in addition to the side stories? It's free to me either way since I bought the side stories, but I'm confused what 0 dollars will buy me.

Issue 15 is all the "side stories" collected together plus one BRAND SPANKING NEW MISSION! Wooooooo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

TracerM17 posted:

Yeah, what a time to be alive.

Also they had a "complete edition" on the account management site briefly this afternoon, when I clicked on it to see what it was I got an error and they froze my account but also took sixty quid off me. They refunded it pretty quickly and the complete edition is no longer visible but for the brief period that I owned it, the "autobuy DLC" option was missing so it might be some new grandmaster-ish option? It seems pretty wacky that they seemed to be testing new stuff on the live version of the website though. :shrug:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Exmond posted:

Issue 15 is all the "side stories" collected together plus one BRAND SPANKING NEW MISSION! Wooooooo.

I will accept the one mission for 0 dollars I suppose. I feel like it is a small apology for making me buy the side stories to avoid grinding scenarios to get access to Tokyo.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, what a time to be alive.

Also they had a "complete edition" on the account management site briefly this afternoon, when I clicked on it to see what it was I got an error and they froze my account but also took sixty quid off me. They refunded it pretty quickly and the complete edition is no longer visible but for the brief period that I owned it, the "autobuy DLC" option was missing so it might be some new grandmaster-ish option? It seems pretty wacky that they seemed to be testing new stuff on the live version of the website though. :shrug:

They have the complete edition available in game for 1800 funbux when I logged in earlier. I thought about buying it when it was "15 new missions!" but then saw it came with basically nothing other than a couple peices of clothing and an emote.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

TracerM17 posted:

They have the complete edition available in game for 1800 funbux when I logged in earlier. I thought about buying it when it was "15 new missions!" but then saw it came with basically nothing other than a couple peices of clothing and an emote.
Sorry, that was vague of me - I meant a complete edition of the game. They'd replaced the bit that offers the ultimate edition with it for a while this afternoon but it was buggy. A friend of mine had the same issue as me where he clicked on it and it froze his account but since he had no payment details entered (he bought the game on steam), he got all 15 issues unlocked for free. He still has access to them all after they unfroze his account. :psyduck:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Pilchenstein posted:

Sorry, that was vague of me - I meant a complete edition of the game.

Oh, no. I was just being dumb. Saw Complete Edition (CE) and confused it with Collectors Edition (CE). Thanks for being cool about it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What do you do with an aegis controller once it's at 2.0? Do you get the kits from raids or something after that?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I wonder if them bundling the side stories into a new issue and now calling it a "complete edition" is their way of saying "we're now in maintenance mode"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Pilchenstein posted:

What do you do with an aegis controller once it's at 2.0? Do you get the kits from raids or something after that?

Once you have aegis at 2.0 you can start doing the nightmare version of the Tokyo Dungons. They will drop the Aegis Mk 5 (6?) convertors that will allow you to upgrade to 2.1.

Once you have 2.7? I think you need raid drops.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

macnbc posted:

I wonder if them bundling the side stories into a new issue and now calling it a "complete edition" is their way of saying "we're now in maintenance mode"
But they've planned out to issue #24! I dunno, we'll just have to hope for that guy who spends a thousand dollars a week on the game to save us. :homebrew:

Exmond posted:

Once you have aegis at 2.0 you can start doing the nightmare version of the Tokyo Dungons. They will drop the Aegis Mk 5 (6?) convertors that will allow you to upgrade to 2.1.

Once you have 2.7? I think you need raid drops.
So what's the limit, 3.0?

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE

macnbc posted:

This release caught me off-guard, especially because they stated that they were done with Tokyo. Not to mention issue #14 was a lot of fun and had at least a little bit of effort put into it(gently caress that jump pad puzzle never again Funcom). But something tells me they won't be returning to a lot of the projects they started anytime soon. I don't think we'll ever see anymore aux weapons, and even if we do will it matter that much? Probably not. The biggest problem I think was a lot of the things they added to try and improve the game fell flat and they might not even make it to any potential good stuff that they have planned for the future. The aegis system had a negative effect on an otherwise good zone, Augments were so difficult to obtain and use that you need to spend entire days just to get started on it, and aux weapons have a negligible effect on builds and overall combat. The skill wheel that the game launched with was excellent, and everything went downhill from there.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
How do I get to gatekeeper and do I need to do the Tokyo dungeon too now? Or just the original eight still?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

For whatever reason I decided I wanted some of the loading screens for TSW as desktop backgrounds the other day so I spent way too long tracking down all the concept art and whatnot that I could find and cropping/resizing it. It's sourced mostly from funcom's press ftp, and it's not complete, I just got the images that I thought would make good backgrounds.

Anyway, if anyone wants some cool TSW art, I made 1080p and 720p versions of everything, along with 1366X768 since that's what my aging laptop still uses. You can get it here. There are also zip files in each folder of the whole thing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Gawain The Blind posted:

For whatever reason I decided I wanted some of the loading screens for TSW as desktop backgrounds the other day so I spent way too long tracking down all the concept art and whatnot that I could find and cropping/resizing it. It's sourced mostly from funcom's press ftp, and it's not complete, I just got the images that I thought would make good backgrounds.

Anyway, if anyone wants some cool TSW art, I made 1080p and 720p versions of everything, along with 1366X768 since that's what my aging laptop still uses. You can get it here. There are also zip files in each folder of the whole thing.

Neat! Thanks!

Pilchenstein posted:

How do I get to gatekeeper and do I need to do the Tokyo dungeon too now? Or just the original eight still?

You get to gatekeeper by doing all the elite dungeons save for Tokyo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The thing is once Joel stepped down things really did change for the better. More content came out (how much was done before that I don't know) combat got rebalanced to be faster, they added more sprints and made fast travel an actual thing instead of just something players died to do. But he left his mark as a gigantic player hating rear end in a top hat on the game and it ruined it for a lot of people.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The new mission is quite neat, I enjoyed it. However still have no idea WTF they were trying to say with creepy stories they made me play through. If anybody figured it out, pls tell me. I didn't turn in the disk and my handler said my behaviour is becoming erratic as of late.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 15, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So I'm on some longterm work travel and out of hotel boredom I figured I'd download this again and start playing a new alt. It's been so damned long since I've played I pretty much forget everything, except how creepily awesome some of the quests and The Facility are.

I figure I'll mostly be soloing because I'm not sure how populous the game still is and if it's easy to find groups, etc. What pairs up well with pistol?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Shotgun/pistol is one of the de facto damage builds.
https://forums.thesecretworld.com/s...l=1#post1856574

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
I'm just getting back into this game after Issue 11. I know about the change to black bullion, but has anything else interesting come out since?

Also, I'm looking at throwing together a hammer/elemental build for giggles but I'm at a bit of a loss at how to make them work together. Elemental Force and Anima Charge, perhaps?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
What the gently caress is the devs' problem?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Narciss posted:

What the gently caress is the devs' problem?

True fact: Joel approved that mission just because he thought it would be funny how much grief it would cause.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Len posted:

True fact: Joel approved that mission just because he thought it would be funny how much grief it would cause.

I am somewhat enamored of this dev team just for that.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
The even better thing is the jumps between those platforms are spaced assuming you have sprint 4. Now that sprint 6 is a thing it's even easier to gently caress up that section a million times in a row.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Did anyone ever manage to isolate the audio files from this game? Because I would pay good money for all of the voice acting files from The Ankh and Hell Raised.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

Did anyone ever manage to isolate the audio files from this game? Because I would pay good money for all of the voice acting files from The Ankh and Hell Raised.
Some guy did: https://github.com/joakibj/tswrdb

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Holy poo poo does this game become loving miserable once you get to Kaidan. What the gently caress made them hate their player base so much?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ali Aces posted:

Holy poo poo does this game become loving miserable once you get to Kaidan. What the gently caress made them hate their player base so much?

It's probably because Tokyo was like two years late so they had to do something to keep players who were super endgame occupied.

But it could also be spite.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Len posted:

It's probably because Tokyo was like two years late so they had to do something to keep players who were super endgame occupied.

I assume you're referring to the Aegis system and its separate grind. I'm not. I get why that was necessary.

I'm referring to enemies that appear out of nowhere to instantly knock you down, hinder, and even impair you before you have a chance to react. I'm referring to every goddamn thing having a massive AOE that they use at the same rate your active dodge recharges, so if you ever fight more than one, getting hit is inevitable, and they always come with impairs. I'm referring to ambushes that hinder you apparently from off-screen before surrounding you with a dozen AOEs, knocking you down, impairing, before you even have a chance to do anything (see Tower Defence).

E: Oh, and of course every time you fought multi-wave missions before here there'd be enough time to recover between them. Not anymore! Hope you're a healing build!

What pissed me off right now though is that car garage story mission that's apparently suppose to be oh-so-spooky, but I was too busy being angry and frustrated by the magic teleporting instant death machine and randomly opening/shutting doors. At this point it's become pretty typical for me to end a mission poorer than I went in because the drat repair bill outpaces the pax gain.

Edit: Actually apparently the 'deaths' from that mission don't break your poo poo. Well at least there's that.

Then there's the little things like every enemy across the zone spraying out its AoE on death, which does nothing but force you to wait an extra 5 seconds before you can loot anything. I get it's supposed to be the filth's "thing", but they could just have easily have made it just a visual effect. It would be no less challenging, just less obnoxious. Yes, it does feel genuinely spiteful towards the player.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 24, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ali Aces posted:

I assume you're referring to the Aegis system and its separate grind. I'm not. I get why that was necessary.

I'm referring to enemies that appear out of nowhere to instantly knock you down, hinder, and even impair you before you have a chance to react. I'm referring to every goddamn thing having a massive AOE that they use at the same rate your active dodge recharges, so if you ever fight more than one, getting hit is inevitable, and they always come with impairs. I'm referring to ambushes that hinder you apparently from off-screen before surrounding you with a dozen AOEs, knocking you down, impairing, before you even have a chance to do anything (see Tower Defence).

E: Oh, and of course every time you fought multi-wave missions before here there'd be enough time to recover between them. Not anymore! Hope you're a healing build!

What pissed me off right now though is that car garage story mission that's apparently suppose to be oh-so-spooky, but I was too busy being angry and frustrated by the magic teleporting instant death machine and randomly opening/shutting doors. At this point it's become pretty typical for me to end a mission poorer than I went in because the drat repair bill outpaces the pax gain.

Edit: Actually apparently the 'deaths' from that mission don't break your poo poo. Well at least there's that.

Then there's the little things like every enemy across the zone spraying out its AoE on death, which does nothing but force you to wait an extra 5 seconds before you can loot anything. I get it's supposed to be the filth's "thing", but they could just have easily have made it just a visual effect. It would be no less challenging, just less obnoxious. Yes, it does feel genuinely spiteful towards the player.

Yeah that's definitely the spite bit. You can tell the crew that designed everything else got cut and didn't work on Tokyo because it just doesn't have the same amount of love the other zones do.

I wonder what Ragnars thoughts on Tokyo would have been. Apparently he was the reason the game doesn't have fall damage. From what I remember reading he was exploring and took fall damage and had it cut because it made exploring less fun. Dont know how true that is. But if it's true he probably wouldn't have been a big fan of filth pools everywhere.

I bet Joel was behind the filth pools though. That seems like a Joel move.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Filth has been annoying since day loving one I'm not gonna fault Tokyo for using that mechanic. I'm gonna fault it though for throwing tons of it at you even though it makes sense and is pretty much the story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There should have been an unlockable clothing that at the least gets rid of the slowdown for walking in the poo poo

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hahaha

I just got the Kaidan scene with the dude with the fugu fish. The things that are great about this game are still great, the VA is loving fantastic. If this game weren't so great in so many ways, the annoyances wouldn't be such a bother because I'd just walk away. But I want to see this through! I'm just gonna push on with the Tokyo story missions and forget about everything else for now I guess.

quote:

Counsellor Journal: Hiroki
I caught one of our children shaving the wrong way. He moved the razor down, not up as we instructed him. That is too much variance. I corrected him using the Gentle Shame technique, as per our guidebooks. I think it worked. Poor boy. He'll soon know it was for his own good.
The meditation sessions frustrate me. I can see the light at the end of the universe, but I don't feel any different after I visualize eating it.

Seriously, I do love the writing in this game.

quote:

And what about the 3rd floor, sweetling? The young ones traded rumours about what goes on there. You only go there when called. You only go there when you become a disruption. Every child that goes up to the 3rd floor comes back smiling like broken glass.

"smiling like broken glass" is far too great a metaphor to be tucked away in some free-to-play MMO's lore section that hardly anybody looks at.

quote:

I know a little-little-little something about Fear Nothing. I know the buzzing voice keeps shouting "programming." But is that really fair? What's more programmed than a hive? Tell me, Chuck, how long have you been listening to a staticky voice playing in your ears and brain, and all of those subliminal images-images-images?

Who's being programmed, Chuck? It's a trick of the ego to assume it's not you.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 25, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ali Aces posted:

Seriously, I do love the writing in this game.

"smiling like broken glass" is far too great a metaphor to be tucked away in some free-to-play MMO's lore section that hardly anybody looks at.
The Fear Nothing Foundation is one of the best sections of the game. :allears:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Issue 14 is some hot loving garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

Issue 14 is some hot loving garbage.

Hotter than 8?

• Locked thread