Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, someone reset the "Days since the last Zen Pencils has been Self Indulgent and Tone Deaf" counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So, someone reset the "Days since the last Zen Pencils has been Self Indulgent and Tone Deaf" counter.

I'm not sure the thread needs anyone to act as its RSS feed

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is the counter ever not zero?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tunicate posted:

I'm not sure the thread needs anyone to act as its RSS feed

Zerilan posted:

Fair enough!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zerilan posted:

gavin updates more like once every two weeks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man why did I read that

To sum up, you cannot both love your profession and also be famous

Because no one who loves what they do is also famous for doing it ever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The funniest part of this, for me, is that the original will be 7 years old two days after 17776 ends on the 15th.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Burkion posted:

Man why did I read that

In the context of early hip hop, to boot

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you're enjoying 17776 you should read Jon Bois' other long-form project, the Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles.

All you need to know for context is that Tim Tebow was a next-big-thing football prospect who had a huge fanbase partly due to his ostentatious displays of religion on the field, and his career fizzled badly.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 11, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pierson posted:

If you're enjoying 17776 you should read Jon Bois' other long-form project, the Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles.

All you need to know for context is that Tim Tebow was a next-big-thing football prospect who had a huge fanbase partly due to his ostentatious displays of religion on the field, and his career fizzled badly.

Oh, and that huge fanbase claims it fizzled because of people not liking him being religious, not the fact that he sucked.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm reading the Tim Tebow CFL chronicles, but it seems like there's supposed to be a video at the bottom of every chapter, and I can't get them to load. Tried turning off adblock, tried switching browsers, nothing.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Man that Zen Pencils poo poo is extra garbage today. I like the idea that handing out really good mixtapes is some sort of humble creative act and not actually a really effective way of getting famous in the scene itself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm reading the Tim Tebow CFL chronicles, but it seems like there's supposed to be a video at the bottom of every chapter, and I can't get them to load. Tried turning off adblock, tried switching browsers, nothing.

I'm guessing they were on youtube and got taken down.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Burkion posted:

Man why did I read that

It's so stupid I can't even get angry at it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Burkion posted:

Man why did I read that

I thought this post was about 177776. It sounds like a Jon Bois line.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm dead

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

"Hey check out this wierd football comic!"

Uhh, sounds boring i guess whatever

"So Jon Bois..."

Oh drat I'm sold! I've read some of his baseball stuff and other creative stuff and it is great, he is a witty guy. Not dissapointed so far, kinda sad that a story that is set to last forever will end, but chomping at the bit to read the rest of it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

17776 is my first exposure to Jon Bois but drat if it's not great stuff.

I'm not suprised at all that the Homestuck crowd latched onto it. Experimenting with media, the combination of interactions between funny characters that all have their own "voices" and themes of a certain depth and vastness, a story concept so vast it makes you feel minuscule. There's a lot of common trends.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also

Synthbuttrange posted:

guest starring Karkat as 'juice'

In particular his little monologue about garden hoes which includes a segue putting the achievement of evolving and developing survival techniques on a level with developing intuitive inventory systems in videogames, which seems like a very Karkat thing to do, especially in the sense that this comparison isn't any kind of burn but a sincere appreciation for both of those things.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 12, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

paradoxGentleman posted:

17776 is my first exposure to Jon Bois but drat if it's not great stuff.

Breaking Madden makes me laugh until I can't breathe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Tim Tebow story is a masterpiece. Especially since he fucks up the final epic throw that was the point of the whole enterprise. Like, I'm not a an American Football guy, but it was hilarious.

I'm loving 17776.

Also, in SGR news, apparently Riley was a plumber this whole time?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god not the Bulb.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh my god not the Bulb.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Jon Bois thing got a writeup in the New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/ra...-distant-future

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm finally caught up on 17776 and it's so good.

Also holy poo poo that bulb thing is real

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Of course its real.

So's the Bee State Ballroom

Its all real. All real and my friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Is there any way to read the full text of the dummy article that 17776 kicks off with before the text goes crazy? Because knowing John Bois, I have a feeling that that is probably just as funny as the real parts of the series.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I haven't even been able to see it briefly since the first time I clicked the link, now it just jumps straight to the contents page.

Even on other computers that I hadn't read it on yet, which is super weird; maybe it's an IP thing :iiam:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

Is there any way to read the full text of the dummy article that 17776 kicks off with before the text goes crazy? Because knowing John Bois, I have a feeling that that is probably just as funny as the real parts of the series.

quote:

It's clear that the sport of football needs to change. And the $64,000 question, my friends, is simple: "how?" Something is terribly wrong. The writing's on the wall: youth participation in the sport is down, thanks in large part to their parents' concern for their health.

In recent years, the NFL has something is terribly wrong. In response to numerous clinical studies regarding something is terribly wrong, the league has taken action — and something is terribly wrong. Oh no. Something is terribly wrong.

Do you hear that? Do not be afraid, but something is terribly wrong. I'm afraid that this page is going to disintegrate. Don't worry, nothing will be hurt, although you may be extraordinarily confused. I think I see a calendar. I don't know. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
gently caress I wish I could have read that, would have solidified the tone for chapter 1 even further. My page disintegrated literally as soon as I opened it, I barely even saw the headline picture :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Renaissance Robot posted:

gently caress I wish I could have read that, would have solidified the tone for chapter 1 even further. My page disintegrated literally as soon as I opened it, I barely even saw the headline picture :(

I think it might depend on what browser you use. When I tried opening a private browser in Opera and Chrome, the text exploded immediately, but in Microsoft Edge it didn't trigger until I'd actually scrolled down somewhat.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
17776 sure went from "haha, dumb little space probes :v:" to really loving deep in a short period of time :suspense:

I'm going to be sad when it's over.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i'm kind of sad now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zamujasa posted:

17776 sure went from "haha, dumb little space probes :v:" to really loving deep in a short period of time :suspense:

I'm going to be sad when it's over.
I don't think it even started in "dumb little space probes", considering the first update was about isolation and sentience.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

In popular media[edit]
A character in 17776 hides in Eleven Jones Cave, and breaks the fourth wall to warn the reader not to visit it.[11]

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does 17776 already have a Wikipedia page?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Does 17776 already have a Wikipedia page?

Yes.

So does Eleven Jones Cave.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ha, these space probes are so silly, I love the one that's sassy

And I think, "this can't be Heaven if I'm getting scared, right?"

And then I think, "maybe I am in Heaven, and Heaven is scary."

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The "children" line was pretty heavy too.

• Locked thread