Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

K8.0 posted:

Newish player question : why the gently caress is an NPC FDL following me? It doesn't attack me or anything, but the same NPC in an FDL has been showing up shortly after I arrive in about 10% of systems, no matter where I go.

I also have a shitload of NPCs follow me and talk to me going like "HEY I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU, FOLLOW MY WAKE AND WE CAN TALK" and i'm just "bitch please you just want to take my poo poo" and i zoom off. I guess it's some kinda story or mission thing, but if they want to interact with me they can loving email me or something and be less of a high maintenance bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Depending on what your mission was, your best bet is probably to go to a Nav Beacon. There you can wait for targets you can take on and you'll usually have help from NPCs for taking down wanted people. The site you went to might have been an ambush with two really decked out ships.

If the mission is to hunt pirates then your best bet is to always go to a RES. In a Cobra I would stick to regular or high intensity sites if I was going by myself.

If it's to hunt civilians, Nav Beacon or a RES. Kill the miners that aren't wanted (Get ready to carry a bounty though).

Dongattack posted:

Hm, well that didn't work. Upgraded my poo poo with better shield gen, better weapons and jumped into a strong signal source with two hostile ships that melted my Cobra in less than 10 seconds. Back to smuggling i guess D:

Dude.. I won't even go into strong signal sources alone in my FDL. Don't do that by yourself unless you're ready for one hell of a fight. The last one I dropped into, I was in a Vulture, it spawned a wing of 11 vultures against me.

I ran like a bitch.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Shine posted:

Folks in Mumble have been jacking it to four C2 railguns and whatever else in the C4 slot.

Haha, I'll try that and if I like it I'll try to get the Imperial Hammer!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

LCL-Dead posted:

If the mission is to hunt pirates then your best bet is to always go to a RES. In a Cobra I would stick to regular or high intensity sites if I was going by myself.

If it's to hunt civilians, Nav Beacon or a RES. Kill the miners that aren't wanted (Get ready to carry a bounty though).

Lol, it says i have to kill the authorities, i swear this game is learning what i like. Where do i have to go to kill the police!?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Go to a low RES and just start shooting miners. Eventually the cops will get called.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

IIRC the stations that have been having "mysterious problems" are the ones that people have sold a mysterious artifact at.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you're new to combat don't take a mission where you have to kill authorities, especially 25 of them. Take pirate killing missions or just go to Nav Beacons (if you're brand new to it) or RES (once you get your legs under you) and collect bounties.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

FYI we are loading up another 700t Cutter with gifts to hand out at the CG's dropoff point.

http://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dongattack posted:

Hm, well that didn't work. Upgraded my poo poo with better shield gen, better weapons and jumped into a strong signal source with two hostile ships that melted my Cobra in less than 10 seconds. Back to smuggling i guess D:
You did everything right except hop into a Strong Signal source.
Don't go there unless you have a full wing in good kitted out ships and everyone knows what they're doing. Strong Signal Sources contain the hardest encounters in elite.

This includes 12 man NPC wings.

Weak/Unknowns, Nav Beacons and Non-Haz resource extraction sites are good for getting your feet wet. Afterwards you can do Haz RES's and Conflict Zones to really get into target-rich environments for good profit.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

So, I got a mild case of space madness and ventured out to check the Heart and Soul nebulas. There's a cluster of O-class stars on the route and these systems are the craziest I've seen so far.

I suppose it's rather sunny there:

And then there's this :stare:

I need to explore this cluster further. It seems to follow it's own rules of stellar formation.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Friction posted:

Someone lit Saturn on fire.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I didn't choose the bounty hunting life, the bounty hunting life chose me. So, because of that, do I have to pledge loyalty to the empress for that sweet bounty reward bonus or all I have to do is to be in space controlled by her?

Edit: holy gently caress stars can have rings?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

What is the name of that fuckin system. I want to see the star with rings.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Nuclearmonkee posted:

What is the name of that fuckin system. I want to see the star with rings.

You can see several stars with rings in inhabited space, provided your definition of "star" includes "really tiny dwarf stars." The second star in the Xihe system has rings with Resource Extraction Sites in them. Bounty hunting there is a good way to overheat your ship.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

edit: how

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Transmetropolitan posted:

I didn't choose the bounty hunting life, the bounty hunting life chose me. So, because of that, do I have to pledge loyalty to the empress for that sweet bounty reward bonus or all I have to do is to be in space controlled by her?

Edit: holy gently caress stars can have rings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWDYkEBaV8

This was before the external camera so sorry about that.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 30, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Friction posted:

I need to explore this cluster further. It seems to follow it's own rules of stellar formation.

hope you brought sunblock

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What's the profit per hour on running that rares trading loop documented in a picture I can't currently find in a cobra 3 loaded up with cargo bays? I've found a high security system with a high intensity resource site (in addition to a hazardous resource site) located something like twelve lightseconds away from an outpost capable of both repair and rearm (it's so close you start to overshoot it at max throttle immediately after spooling up your FSD). It's basically the bounty hunter's holy grail.

However bringing all the downtimes to the bare minimum has led to me burning out pretty quick on the grind, especially considering if this is one of the highest profit to time ratios in the game I'm looking at a million spaceyears of time before I get that solid gold anaconda. Would running a rare trade loop, no matter how mind numbing, at least make me money obscenely fast?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I was hoping to wait until I got a few more combat encounters under my belt before I struck out for DF territory, but I'm having trouble even finding jobs that I'm qualified for. I did manage to finally finish one that involved me running between three different stations to talk to people for ~92k, which seemed respectable. I'm slowing figuring out how to avoid being interdicted, but where do I get pirate/criminal bounties? The only one I've managed to complete was an NPC who I stumbled into. Is there any certain sector or station I can go to to find newbie pirates/bounties?

Oh, to clarify: While it's frustrating blowing up all the time and getting insta-fragged in combat, I'm slowing learning through trial and error. It's really nice that the starter ship is free.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hellburger99 posted:

I was hoping to wait until I got a few more combat encounters under my belt before I struck out for DF territory, but I'm having trouble even finding jobs that I'm qualified for. I did manage to finally finish one that involved me running between three different stations to talk to people for ~92k, which seemed respectable. I'm slowing figuring out how to avoid being interdicted, but where do I get pirate/criminal bounties? The only one I've managed to complete was an NPC who I stumbled into. Is there any certain sector or station I can go to to find newbie pirates/bounties?

Oh, to clarify: While it's frustrating blowing up all the time and getting insta-fragged in combat, I'm slowing learning through trial and error. It's really nice that the starter ship is free.
If you pull a mission along the lines of "kill 3 pirates" the way you're supposed to go about it is to wander around in the listed system in supercruise. Regardless of the speed you're puttering around at, you'll occasionally pull up "unidentified signal"s in your targeting window. These are basically random encounters from a jrpg in your space sim game, where you might find pirates, or goodies, or police, or johnny fiveaces next to some balls on the edge of a cliff.

Now if you pull an assassination mission, especially one that says "wait for this time to find your target", you need a FSD interdictor, which is basically a big lasso you tie around your target in supercruise so you can duke it out. This is more complicated but I cannot fit the proof of how to accomplish it in the margin of this post.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Another thing you can do if there's pirates (I do not recommend doing anything other than pirates at low levels) is go to a nav point or a resource extraction site in that system that the mission is for. Stay away from hazardous for now.
Do not shoot anybody who is not wanted. Heck, for a resource extraction site or even a nav point is to wait until an enemy is being shot by other enemies, and then get in a couple of hits on it to get credit for the kill. You do not need to get the final shot in for those bounties for the mission bonus.

Another thing is that an enemy will show 'Mission Target' if they are the proper type of enemy to attack.
I do not recommend doing assassination missions until you are more competent in your abilities. I've been playing for a month and still know that I know next to nothing, and I just started doing assassinations in a Vulture as it can actually take on some more troubling targets.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Thanks! Also, I back-read the thread a bit, did some Googling, and it looks like if I hang out next to the Nav Points near stars I should start seeing some pirates coming to me, also. I assume that I combine this with your supercruise JRPG analogy to make cash.

Having a bit more luck getting paid with some quick cargo missions. Also it just gave me a mission to kill John Galt. GOTY.

Edit: Got in a dogfight with two trash mobs and managed to beat them!

Turns out one of them maaaay have been a cop and now I'm wanted in this sector for the next week. Also I hit the wrong button and instead of dropping my landing gear, I dropped my cargo I was about to deliver and busted one of them while trying to pick it back up. So instead of a 16k payday I only got 4k and a 9k bounty on my head.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 30, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cowcaster posted:

If you pull a mission along the lines of "kill 3 pirates" the way you're supposed to go about it is to wander around in the listed system in supercruise. Regardless of the speed you're puttering around at, you'll occasionally pull up "unidentified signal"s in your targeting window. These are basically random encounters from a jrpg in your space sim game, where you might find pirates, or goodies, or police, or johnny fiveaces next to some balls on the edge of a cliff.

To make these much easier, go to a RES or compromised nav beacon in the system (if it has either) and there will be pirates spawning in frequently. If it has neither, then you can still lurk around a nav beacon to hunt pirates, albeit at a much lower spawn rate than in a RES or compromised beacon.

quote:

Now if you pull an assassination mission, especially one that says "wait for this time to find your target", you need a FSD interdictor, which is basically a big lasso you tie around your target in supercruise so you can duke it out. This is more complicated but I cannot fit the proof of how to accomplish it in the margin of this post.

You don't actually need an interdictor, but it does make them easier. If you target the assassination mark in supercruise and just fly around, it'll eventually low-wake into space. You can then drop out of supercruise on its wake the same way you'd drop into a signal source or station. That's how I handle those missions on the rare occasion I take them, since I don't usually carry an interdictor.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cowcaster posted:

What's the profit per hour on running that rares trading loop documented in a picture I can't currently find in a cobra 3 loaded up with cargo bays? I've found a high security system with a high intensity resource site (in addition to a hazardous resource site) located something like twelve lightseconds away from an outpost capable of both repair and rearm (it's so close you start to overshoot it at max throttle immediately after spooling up your FSD). It's basically the bounty hunter's holy grail.

However bringing all the downtimes to the bare minimum has led to me burning out pretty quick on the grind, especially considering if this is one of the highest profit to time ratios in the game I'm looking at a million spaceyears of time before I get that solid gold anaconda. Would running a rare trade loop, no matter how mind numbing, at least make me money obscenely fast?

I don't know what rare trading profit runs nowadays, but I can tell you that if you are in a ship that can kill things quickly (Vulture or meaner), then 2-4M/hour in a HazRES is about average, and I suspect rare trading can't touch that. I could be wrong, though.

If you're not in at least a Vulture, then once you have 5.5M (won't take long if you wing up with a twinker and/or use cop assists to help you punch above your weight), this basic Vulture can be bought and fit in Li Yong-Rui systems. From there the bounty money will pour in, as you'll be able to kill the little 20-50,000 CR targets in seconds, and reliably take on Pythons and Anacondas worth 100-300K. At this point you can make a few million per hour in a good instance. That'll still be some time to Anaconda money, but you'll have fun incremental steps in the FAS, iClipper, Fer-de-Lance and Python. Then one day you'll buy an Anaconda and realize you hate flying it almost as much as you do the AspE and go back to a cheaper, more fun ship while your credit balance just stays big for no reason.

That said, I'm a big fan of just doing what you enjoy doing in the game, and getting whatever money you get out of it. Everything pays reasonably well now, so the easiest way to avoid burnout is to just have fun. Mix things up by running rares or doing smuggling or mining or whatever.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

I just got an endurance mission - are you supposed to just float about in the target system until someone contacts you? I've been floating arouind for an hour and haven't had anything :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Robigo, sothis et al will get you like 8m or more an hour at the risk of making the trip worthless if you happened to be scanned in an unfortunate way.

I noticed that the popos and pirates are relentless with their interdictions if they announce themselves in chat when you come in the system. Its better to jump to another system and then come back to the drop off one when you only get peaceful solicitors.

A single run there on a trade cobra will get you enough money to fit a well equip vulture or asp. 2 or 3 more will get you into a iclippet or fas.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

fatelvis posted:

I just got an endurance mission - are you supposed to just float about in the target system until someone contacts you? I've been floating arouind for an hour and haven't had anything :(

AFAIK, yep. You'll normally get a time window in the mission description.

That said right now somtimes they just don't spawn. I had the same issue yesterday with a regular old assassination target, so presumably Horizons borked something.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
I'm really enjoying this game, except the constant rolling action is making me seasick :-/

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Lankiveil posted:

I'm really enjoying this game, except the constant rolling action is making me seasick :-/
Landlubber :rolleyes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

whoa there's an npc named lowtax?! :monocle:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Some Goon out there spent at least $60 to get that name into the database.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
I have about 22 mil in credits and I'm looking for some advice on what I should use as my main ship. The Vulture is really a one-trick pony and I'd like a good all-arounder to fly about in. I like running missions and not spending 20 minutes trying to kill one ship.

I was hoping that the Cobra Mk IV wouldn't be so disappointing, and I'm kind of considering going back to my A-fit Mk. III but I'm a pretty mediocre pilot and found it difficult to bounty hunt in it.

Any suggestions on what I should fly? I don't need the ship to be OPTIMIZED or the "best build" - I just wanna have fun and be able to shoot mans relatively fast and have more than 4 slots of cargo space if possible.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Intl Cron posted:

I have about 22 mil in credits and I'm looking for some advice on what I should use as my main ship. The Vulture is really a one-trick pony and I'd like a good all-arounder to fly about in. I like running missions and not spending 20 minutes trying to kill one ship.

I was hoping that the Cobra Mk IV wouldn't be so disappointing, and I'm kind of considering going back to my A-fit Mk. III but I'm a pretty mediocre pilot and found it difficult to bounty hunt in it.

Any suggestions on what I should fly? I don't need the ship to be OPTIMIZED or the "best build" - I just wanna have fun and be able to shoot mans relatively fast and have more than 4 slots of cargo space if possible.

Honestly..

Cobra Mk3: Trade, smuggle, general missions.
Vulture: Bounty Hunt, Combat Zones, Kill missions.

That's probably your best bet until you tack on another 8-9 million and can fit a bare bones PvE FAS.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The cobra shoots perfectly well though, I spent ages using it for everything without so much as a refit

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Honestly..

Cobra Mk3: Trade, smuggle, general missions.
Vulture: Bounty Hunt, Combat Zones, Kill missions.

That's probably your best bet until you tack on another 8-9 million and can fit a bare bones PvE FAS.

The Imperial Courier is another nice combat ship. And not that hard to get, only an Imperial Rank of "Master" is needed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Libluini posted:

The Imperial Courier is another nice combat ship. And not that hard to get, only an Imperial Rank of "Master" is needed.

Courier is very fun, yeah. I feel like the lower hard point is blocked by the nose a bit too much, but I slapped a particle accelerator down there for the big 'uns and slow 'uns. Two lasers (gimballed because I am a babby) and maybe a PA when they do that weird sit&spin deal seems to work fine for most other targets.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cthulu Carl posted:

Courier is very fun, yeah. I feel like the lower hard point is blocked by the nose a bit too much, but I slapped a particle accelerator down there for the big 'uns and slow 'uns. Two lasers (gimballed because I am a babby) and maybe a PA when they do that weird sit&spin deal seems to work fine for most other targets.

I do the same thing, but with a railgun. Two gimballed burst lasers on the wings, and a railgun under the nose. It works out pretty well because the lasers by themselves are enough for just about anything too zippy for me to aim the railgun at, and the medium and large ships are all easy targets to hit with railgun slugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
On a similar topic, can somebody explain how shields work - particularly in the following builds?

Here's a link to a comparison of a Cobra and Courier build I put together:

Coriolis builds

How does the Courier manage to have 468 mJ of shields vs. the Cobra's 123 mJ, when the Cobra has a Class 4 generator versus the Courier's Class 2?
Is it just mass? Does this mean the Courier would take more punishment versus the Cobra based on this scenario?

If the Courier I've built can take that much more punishment than the Cobra, I might be willing to sacrifice the speed and cargo room since I'm a mediocre combatant.

• Locked thread