Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't understand why fans for this type of entertainment choose to split the series this way. It's not like you're going to see Pokémon fans referring to everything up to Sun/Moon as "Heisei-era Pokémon" anytime soon.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Craptacular! posted:

I don't understand why fans for this type of entertainment choose to split the series this way. It's not like you're going to see Pokémon fans referring to everything up to Sun/Moon as "Heisei-era Pokémon" anytime soon.
I'm probably mistaken but it's split up like that because there was a ten year gap between the last Kamen Rider show in 89 (Black RX) and when the show restarted in 2000 (Kuuga) and then after Decade in 2009, Kamen Rider W took a huge style shift into the more modern shows which fans dubbed "Neo-Heisei"

Why they used the Emperor's names is beyond me though, but there's definitely three different phases of Kamen Rider as opposed to the natural progression of series like Super Sentai than run every year and have new themes and largely unrelated to the previous seasons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Craptacular! posted:

They literally number every generation, which is a system that actually has even more granularity. "Since Gen III", "Before Gen IV", "Gens VI+".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RealFoxy posted:

Why they used the Emperor's names is beyond me though

That's kind of what I'm getting at. It seems like the kind of thing that was probably immigrated into the fandom from Godzilla/kaiju movie peoples.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Toei has used it. It's right there in the movie's title.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, Toei has used it. It's right there in the movie's title.

Well, yes. A lot of Japanese people do, too. I'm just talking about as it relates to toku. Seems my guess was accurate that Godzilla played a big role.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What episodes should I watch the Ex-Aid movies after, if I do? Are they even worth watching?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Movie Pacman is entertaining and certainly better than Pixels, watch it before episode 12. Preferably when you start seeing commercials for it in the show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Heisei Generations works best after episode 5, given who transforms into what and who is using what. Then the three part Genm special comes immediately after that; and is where they basically strip away the made-for-movie abilities they didn't plan to use going forward, it is worth watching because even though the budget was low they used a few actual game licenses in a funny way.

The Snipe Mini isn't completed until after the show ends, but watching the two released parts just before episode 20 will make them seem most relevant since they put a little shading on why Taiga is like he is. Lazer's confidential files mini should be watched after 23.

Sentai/KR battle royale isn't out yet.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 5, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Well, yes. A lot of Japanese people do, too. I'm just talking about as it relates to toku. Seems my guess was accurate that Godzilla played a big role.

Yeah look, when it comes to toku nerd poo poo, chances are high you can trace it back to Godzilla. Even if its things that you wouldn't think would overlap

Though! We didn't use Neo Heisei for the Millennium movies. Go us.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 5, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I'm probably mistaken but it's split up like that because there was a ten year gap between the last Kamen Rider show in 89 (Black RX) and when the show restarted in 2000 (Kuuga) and then after Decade in 2009, Kamen Rider W took a huge style shift into the more modern shows which fans dubbed "Neo-Heisei"

Why they used the Emperor's names is beyond me though, but there's definitely three different phases of Kamen Rider as opposed to the natural progression of series like Super Sentai than run every year and have new themes and largely unrelated to the previous seasons.

There's also the 3 movie exclusive Riders that came out between RX and Kuuga (Shin, ZO, and J). Though they are for some reason counted as Showa Riders despite all of them coming out in the early Heisei period (Black RX is kind of borderline as it started at the very end of the Showa era).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

There's also the 3 movie exclusive Riders that came out between RX and Kuuga (Shin, ZO, and J). Though they are for some reason counted as Showa Riders despite all of them coming out in the early Heisei period (Black RX is kind of borderline as it started at the very end of the Showa era).

When a Kamen Rider fan uses "Showa" and "Heisei", they mean "Ishinomori" and "post-Ishinomori". It's just easier to classify by the emperors, even if it's not completely right.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hi Toku goons, what are the good Kamen Rider series? I want to watch some fighting motorbike men.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

Hi Toku goons, what are the good Kamen Rider series? I want to watch some fighting motorbike men.

What do you like, what is your threshold for 'Old Shows', and do you prefer things to take themselves seriously or just be fun

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Watch Gaim. Gaim is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PMush Perfect posted:

They literally number every generation, which is a system that actually has even more granularity. "Since Gen III", "Before Gen IV", "Gens VI+".

There's also the fact that Pokemon has only existed during the Heisei period so far, so specifying it as Heisei is worthless.

Part of the reason the periods are used to distinguish is that the Showa period ended in 1989, and with the 90s, a lot of changes to how tokusatsu was made, written, and presented came about, even discounting the 10 year gap for Rider and considering Sentai, which ran continuously.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Re: which KR: Depends on what kind of vintage you're looking for.

Of the current lot, people seem to like W, Drive, and Ex-Aid. Of the previous lot, Kuuga was a relaunch of a classic/Ishimori style show, Agito started trends toward what you have now with riders all over the place, and Ryuki seems to get a lot of love for it's characters. The ones after that tend to get varied reactions.

What you need to know more is which ones to avoid: Just stay away from Decade and Wizard and you'll be fine.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Fourze is also fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can't really go wrong with that whole three year period of W, OOO, and Fourze.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
New stuff: W, OOO, Fourze are easy to get into. Drive is slow to start but pretty fun. Gaim is good but different enough from the others to not be a first watch. Ex-Aid is finishing soon and is good.

Old stuff: Not as versed in this but Kuuga is likely the one to start with. Don't know about the rest but don't be in a rush to watch Faiz or Decade.

Really old stuff: I dunno, watch the original I guess.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. I'll check out W, the detective angle seems fun.

Burkion posted:

What do you like, what is your threshold for 'Old Shows', and do you prefer things to take themselves seriously or just be fun

I'd like something with a likable cast and no/very few boring episodes, or a series that isn't super long, if there are any. I don't really mind what decade it was made. I don't want something 100% serious, and I don't want something where all the characters are so exaggerated/goofy that I can't really empathise with them.

I was also curious about what the 'good' shows are more generally because I read some of the thread, and the consensus seems to be that a most of the series have various flaws. Are any series that are generally considered to be good throughout, like consistently well-written, good directing, entertaining, with a strong cast? Something that, as a show, is really well-made, and feels like it achieves everything it set out to do?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Amazons if you can take heartbreak, poor decision makers, and gore.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Red Bones posted:

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. I'll check out W, the detective angle seems fun.

I'd like something with a likable cast and no/very few boring episodes, or a series that isn't super long, if there are any. I don't really mind what decade it was made. I don't want something 100% serious, and I don't want something where all the characters are so exaggerated/goofy that I can't really empathise with them.

I was also curious about what the 'good' shows are more generally because I read some of the thread, and the consensus seems to be that a most of the series have various flaws. Are any series that are generally considered to be good throughout, like consistently well-written, good directing, entertaining, with a strong cast? Something that, as a show, is really well-made, and feels like it achieves everything it set out to do?
W is probably the perfect show for you. There's only a couple mediocre/"Bad" episodes in the season. The cast is colorful without being annoying, and eventually the main female DOES settle her rear end down.

OOOs has a pretty boring lead but an amazing side-cast of characters. They're what makes the story emotional since the main character is basically a blank slate It's because he's suffering from PTSD

Fourze's cast are REALLY exaggerated, it's a Japanese cast doing American High School stereotypes other than the two main riders (Who are doing a Japanese Greaser-punk and Chinese Kung-Fu type thing) but the main rider pulls things together.

Gaim starts off really goofy, it's a bunch of rival dance "gangs" fighting to control the city. Through dance. Then it gets really dark and people are constantly stabbing each other in the back.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Craptacular! posted:

What you need to know more is which ones to avoid: Just stay away from Decade and Wizard and you'll be fine.

Sure thing, Narutaki.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

Honestly give Kuuga a try.

It's got some dated effects due to being made in the tail end of 1999 and released in 2000, but it is absolutely perfect at hitting every note it wants to hit. It's not the most FUN show, but it is absolutely one of the best made.

Kuuga is very gritty, very down to earth, and very endearing. The main character is not a cool guy, he's a dork who likes to make people smile and keep people happy.

The villains are not ridiculous super villains, they're psychopaths and serial killers. The plot is fairly in depth once you start cluing into what the show is about, and it sells its message hard and sticks to it even to the detriment of the show's enjoyability.

The only Rider series to be as on point with its core message would be Amazons season 2.

If you'd rather something more light hearted and not as heavy, go for W as mentioned.

There's also the odd ball choice of Ultraman Nexus, the most Heisei Rider series to ever be made.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus

Just you know, get ready for dark awful tragic things.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I may very well actually watch an Ultraman series soon. Memories of the old Ultraman Great dub running on an independent station in my youth bubbled up recently.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

I may very well actually watch an Ultraman series soon. Memories of the old Ultraman Great dub running on an independent station in my youth bubbled up recently.

Geed has been pretty great so far

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Fun fact! And I know you likely didn't mean dub but you brought up Ultraman Trivia and that is my switch

Ultraman Great was not dubbed- it was an Australian Japanese co production, shot in English.

Its success is what lead to the failed Ultraman Towards the Future American series, where the fuckwits decided that making good looking monster suits was more important than monster suits that could move, fight, or do anything other than stand around and vaguely waddle. It was a full 13 episode pilot series, some how, made without the guiding hand of Tsuburaya.

Beautiful looking suits, shame about how they do less than a vinyl figure.

And if you ever want a recommendation for an Ultraman series, just say the word.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I would say that EX-Aid is near perfect.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Elfgames posted:

Assuming it doesn't botch it in the last four episodes, but yeah, it's amazing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

And if you ever want a recommendation for an Ultraman series, just say the word.

I want a recommendation. I enjoyed Nexus a lot despite the rushed finale (I sure wish I could live in a world where it got the episode count it wanted though) so I'm game for more Ultramen.

Preferably not something too old. I'm cool with any mood, so long as it has a good cast of characters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blaze Dragon posted:

I want a recommendation. I enjoyed Nexus a lot despite the rushed finale (I sure wish I could live in a world where it got the episode count it wanted though) so I'm game for more Ultramen.

Preferably not something too old. I'm cool with any mood, so long as it has a good cast of characters.

The first two Zero movies are great and lead into Geed, which might be the best Ultraman show out there if it keeps this up.

Mebius is good and I need to watch more.

Do not watch Ginga.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Elfgames posted:

Ex-Aid's relied on a lot of really wacky twists towards the end, which I can imagine some people are gonna bounce right off of. Fortunately I'm a big fan of stupid video game bullshit so I'm on board!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

Ex-Aid's relied on a lot of really wacky twists towards the end, which I can imagine some people are gonna bounce right off of. Fortunately I'm a big fan of stupid video game bullshit so I'm on board!

wacky twists?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do not watch Ginga.

I loving told you so.

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you like more modern Toku, Orb is really good. A lot of its humor is character driven and fantastic, and I can almost tolerate two thirds of the comic relief crew.

Mebius is just really goddamn good, the best of the three anniversary series of the time. Those three being Gokaiger, Decade and itself, though Mebius came before all of them.

X is an Okay Then series. It exists, it's harmless, it has an EXCELLENT Nexus tribute episode near the end that you should check out.

Tiga is super loving slow but has some great low key Lovecraft elements through out, leading to its finale.

Dyna isn't subbed by anyone yet.

Cosmos is okay if you want something really light weight. Just, total opposite of Nexus.

Max is the quintessential ULTRAMAN series, where it's just a light hearted anthology Ultraman show. It's one you can literally pick and choose what you want to watch without worry about any episodes before or after because it barely has continuity what so ever.

Do not watch Ginga.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-gaia/episode-45-the-living-planet-693649

This is the only episode of Gaia you ever need to see.

Maybe the episode just before it, but really only this one. Gaia is a heart breaker and I'm glad I'm done with it. Such a cool loving concept wasted. Otherwise go look at my breakdown on why Gaia is a piece of poo poo

UltraSeven Evolution (the heisei movies and the 2001-2002 mini series) is super hard to find and most of it isn't subbed, but it's all really good.

UltraSeven X only has TvNihon subs, but is otherwise a reflection of the original series in what it tries to do, just in a more modern style. It doesn't have a big epic fight like the original series could pull off from time to time though.

Ultra Galaxy is a treat if you like giant monsters fighting.

And I believe that is it. Well there's Ultraman Neos. That's a thing.

Fun fact, Ultraman Neos and Ultra Galaxy are coming to the Toku channel on Amazon Prime. So that's neat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Burkion, sometimes you gotta let someone stick their hand on the hot stove.

Also I'm still watching Ginga so I can get to S and meet Victory

And boy howdy am I sleeping better.

Do not watch Ginga.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do not watch Ginga.

Do not watch Ginga.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Burkion posted:

Do not watch Ginga.

should i watch ginga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

NachtSieger posted:

should i watch ginga

It's better than X. Still not great though.

• Locked thread