Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you don't dislike apocalypse world variants like I do, you could just play the KSBD rpg Broken World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

In terms of video games, multiple direct references to Dark Souls spinoff and werewolf murder simulator Bloodborne are in the comic's text and author commentary, so we at least know what Operant was playing while writing it.*
It's a lot of fun! Also a borderline hallucinatory nightmare blood kaleidoscope during its best moments. A bit more Gothic than K6BD has been so far.
*2 Michael quotes a particularly zealous religious fanatic from a Bloodborne faction, Incubus' lair being alt-text described as 'Hypogean' and also looking like a Bloodborne level generally, and I think there's something I'm forgetting as well.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

While I haven't played it, Morrowind was a pretty huge inspiration for KSBD as well, wasn't it? In regards to Royalty/CHIM and such especially.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fart

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
...wait a minute, k6bd has alt-text?! welp there goes my night

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
alt text starts on the first page of chapter 3 as far as i can tell. also while re-reading looks like cc picks white chain's gender at first glance

note the plural

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
She's being accompanied by the two creepy face dolls at that point. I think that's who the mistresses was for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

wiegieman posted:

If you don't dislike apocalypse world variants like I do, you could just play the KSBD rpg Broken World.
Has there been more work on this or is it still the old Dungeon World hack?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Joe Slowboat posted:

In terms of video games, multiple direct references to Dark Souls spinoff and werewolf murder simulator Bloodborne are in the comic's text and author commentary, so we at least know what Operant was playing while writing it.*
It's a lot of fun! Also a borderline hallucinatory nightmare blood kaleidoscope during its best moments. A bit more Gothic than K6BD has been so far.
*2 Michael quotes a particularly zealous religious fanatic from a Bloodborne faction, Incubus' lair being alt-text described as 'Hypogean' and also looking like a Bloodborne level generally, and I think there's something I'm forgetting as well.

Hypogean is a real world word, too; just a fancy way of saying "subterranean". But since it's mostly used in a botanical context it's probably the Bloodborne influence.

Benagain posted:

She's being accompanied by the two creepy face dolls at that point. I think that's who the mistresses was for.

I don't think so. Cio was Pimpsphinx's employee (and wife, as we later learned) so she should recognize the creepy dolls to be Pimpsphinx's servants instead of customers.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

K6BD's setting in the beginning reminded me so much of the "hell" of the Exalted setting that I very initially thought it was based on someone's tabletop campaign. So rules wise it's a mess but its setting is pretty cool for hitting the right notes.

Throne/The Red City is my favorite visual representation of Malfeas.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has there been more work on this or is it still the old Dungeon World hack?

The last version I saw has a different wound and damage system than DW, at least. It's been awhile so I can't remember what other differences there are aside from that.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Joe Slowboat posted:

Are you thinking of that page where Juggs is about to slaughter a bunch of people, where the alt-text is a Youtube link to a Bloodborne boss theme?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

I actually do have Bloodborne, but I am dishearteningly terrible at it. I had to have my friend beat the Cleric Beast. I've remade my character in that game like ten times.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Poltergrift posted:

Are you thinking of that page where Juggs is about to slaughter a bunch of people, where the alt-text is a Youtube link to a Bloodborne boss theme?

2 Michael's line about acts of good not always being wise and acts of evil not always being foolish is paraphrasing a quote from a Bloodborne boss.

...although he left off the last, most important bit, "but regardless, we shall always strive to be good".

e; and you were referring to the bit joe slowboat forgot, of course. Duh. Reading is hard.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Broken World takes after Dungeon World, which is the lovely and dumb step-brother of Apocalypse World

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SunAndSpring posted:

Broken World takes after Dungeon World, which is the lovely and dumb step-brother of Apocalypse World

This fact does not by any means make me like Apocalypse World more.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

wiegieman posted:

This fact does not by any means make me like Apocalypse World more.

Well I don't like it as well but I dunno why Abaddon would copy the even shittier Apocalypse World clone (or hack or whatever the gently caress they call it).

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Last I heard he was rewriting swaths of the RPG because he didn't like how parts of it turned out.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Reene posted:

Last I heard he was rewriting swaths of the RPG because he didn't like how parts of it turned out.

According to the Patreon, a lot of the game is being rewritten to focus on making the high-impact mystical kung fu battles rich and involving.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Rejiggering the stats to fit the acronym R.O.Y.A.L.T.Y. takes a while ok?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Grognan posted:

Rejiggering the stats to fit the acronym R.O.Y.A.L.T.Y. takes a while ok?
I thought Abbadon-Operant was going to use the M.U.R.D.E.R.T.H.E.G.O.D.S.A.N.D.T.O.P.P.L.E.T.H.E.I.R.T.H.R.O.N.E.S. system.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

White Coke posted:

I thought Abbadon-Operant was going to use the M.U.R.D.E.R.T.H.E.G.O.D.S.A.N.D.T.O.P.P.L.E.T.H.E.I.R.T.H.R.O.N.E.S. system.
That plan got scrapped because no one was ever able to keep up with her.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i won't be content unless i can be a 20-foot-tall and also high :420: crazy elephant man and ride into battle on the back of a pimpsphinx and also i would like to date cio or princess mamoru moonshine

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Wanting to date Cio? Well... Yeah, I guess I can see that.

Wanting to date Princess Mamoru Moonshine? Back of the line, buddy, I was here first.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I want to say there was an alt-text or something that referenced Alad's "may our ledgers become ocean, our margins see Centauri" thing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
My favorite alt text was a url shortener that went to a google search for "Birds".

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Man, now I want some noodles.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, those are his nostrils.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm the bikini babe figurine

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

I think that's Bikini Gog-Agog.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Poltergrift posted:

I think that's Bikini Gog-Agog.

NEW! Push GOG-AGOG's back button for INSTANT MAGGOT ACTION*!

*Action Figure Gog-Agog is made of worms. The worms are part of actual Gog-Agog. Action Figure Gog-Agog's Instant Maggot Action will make actual Gog-Agog aware of your presence and location. Instant Maggot Action is not recommended if the user has prayed to Gog-Agog too little, too much, or the correct amount.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
This is my Ecce Homo

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Allison has incurred a penalty so bad it's worthy of a red card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mazerunner posted:

I'm the can of soda.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wanna play a katamari damacy stage set on that work surface

I'm the frog!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's amazing to me how much stuff Operrant gets onto pages. I mean this scene is just 'protagonists sit at a noodle bar' and so many people would phone it in, but nope, this is just packed with stuff and details. You've got all the detail on the counter, the noodle guy smoking a cig, a picture of his dad(?) on the shelf above him, the little god figure at the top of the latticework, its all so dense and every bit is rad.

I bet Princess wouldn't be so grouchy if she ate some noodles.

Do devils eat? Both Cio and Princess seem to have skipped the noodle bar.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ashcans posted:

It's amazing to me how much stuff Operrant gets onto pages. I mean this scene is just 'protagonists sit at a noodle bar' and so many people would phone it in, but nope, this is just packed with stuff and details. You've got all the detail on the counter, the noodle guy smoking a cig, a picture of his dad(?) on the shelf above him, the little god figure at the top of the latticework, its all so dense and every bit is rad.

I bet Princess wouldn't be so grouchy if she ate some noodles.

Do devils eat? Both Cio and Princess seem to have skipped the noodle bar.

I imagine they eat when they feel like it. Right now, they may be put off by Allison's uncharacteristically ebullient behavior.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I wonder how many times Operant curses himself for going with such a detailed art style.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

I wonder how many times Operant curses himself for going with such a detailed art style.

Hopefully never, since they realize it's part of the selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cio Five-Aces