Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Deakul posted:

Exactly this, I want stage my own battles and stuff like in the old games.

This is also something that has concerned me. It will more than likely be added to the game, just like the last game. I'll just wait to buy it until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think I'll really miss plain old bot matches but I'd jump for joy if they announced a Galactic Conquest mode that you could play online with/against a friend.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gross Anakin, have some standards.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

FunkMonkey posted:

Gross Anakin, have some standards.

at least it's not

Mister Blueberry fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 30, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fair point.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's me, the guy who hates battlefield squad spawning. I think it's a big part of why battlefield games feel so fractured and incoherent, because spawns just happen anywhere and it's endlessly exploitable.

Having people come in together in a wave, to me, is far more elegant, and since the maps here are tighter and more objective focused than big sprawling conquest maps you don't really need it to save walking time.

They should do something to let you wait and fill a wave with your buds though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ShineDog posted:

It's me, the guy who hates battlefield squad spawning. I think it's a big part of why battlefield games feel so fractured and incoherent, because spawns just happen anywhere and it's endlessly exploitable.

Having people come in together in a wave, to me, is far more elegant, and since the maps here are tighter and more objective focused than big sprawling conquest maps you don't really need it to save walking time.

They should do something to let you wait and fill a wave with your buds though

Unironically squad spawn, revive, vehicle repair, and parachuting is all a bunch of loving garbage that can stay in Battlefield and out of Battlefront forever please.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beastie posted:

I maintain it's because they don't want literal children getting wrecked by a squad of 4 cooperating adults. It makes no sense why this has existed in the last 5 Battlefield games but not in the last two Battlefront games.

Disney doesn't want kids being crushed.

Its because in Battlefield 1 you literally have people spawning right on top of you just as you kill their teammate, then rezzing the guy you just killed, which is horseshit.

Mister Blueberry posted:

at least it's not

lol

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Chomp8645 posted:

Unironically squad spawn, revive, vehicle repair, and parachuting is all a bunch of loving garbage that can stay in Battlefield and out of Battlefront forever please.

LOL, what??

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its because in Battlefield 1 you literally have people spawning right on top of you just as you kill their teammate, then rezzing the guy you just killed, which is horseshit.

You can't squad spawn at a dude being shot at.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hamburlgar posted:

LOL, what??

I dunno why repair and res blow, but parachuting just leads to snipers on loving rooftops which is fun for precisely that one sniper.

Squad spawn leads to one soldier sneaking into a house and setting up a portal to the soldier dimension, and instead of a big fight over the frontline it's a bunch of people on either side having a big battle over bobs house and the objective is empty because that's happening all over the map.

I get that you need some kind of teamplay solution with maps as big as battlefields but bfront maps restrict you to a pretty constrained area at a given time. It just needs a way to get into the same wave, which I think they said is coming.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

You have the worst taste in things my man.

Squad spawning is great, this game is not.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Honestly I'd be fine with having to wait for your friends to join your wave if that was an option.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stanley Pain posted:

You have the worst taste in things my man.

Squad spawning is great, this game is not.

You are welcome to your opinion!!!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Zaphod42 posted:

lol

If that were the case (and it’s not) why would it be in Battlefield 4, not in Battlefront 2015, in Battlefield 1, but not in Battlefront 2?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

You are welcome to your opinion!!!

Especially when I'm right :smuggo:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/b...iprogression-tw

Changes to the crates. Doesn't clarify if rank still works the same as beta.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Symetrique posted:

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/b...iprogression-tw
Changes to the crates. Doesn't clarify if rank still works the same as beta.

Looks like it's not p2win anymore(unless the class milestones are insanely grindy). I'm impressed they changed that tbh.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Looks like it's not p2win anymore(unless the class milestones are insanely grindy). I'm impressed they changed that tbh.

Well, they say that the best things still have to be crafted even after they're unlocked, which suggests an irresponsible nut could buy up crates for crafting material fodder. It's a step in the right direction, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sedisp posted:

You can't squad spawn at a dude being shot at.

Yeah but its real easy for that "currently being shot" to stop triggering for just a second while you're reloading or something and then a squad of dudes is on top of you. Or you just kinda miss one or two shots because they're kinda far away or something.

I've seen people spawn in front of me in Battlefield 1, don't lie to me.

Beastie posted:

If that were the case (and it’s not) why would it be in Battlefield 4, not in Battlefront 2015, in Battlefield 1, but not in Battlefront 2?

:dice: can't make up its mind?

Its not that crazy to think that when games are like 3-4 years of development apart and involve lots of team members leaving and new people coming in, some ideas end up going back and forth.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've had plenty of times in the first game where I would get the drop on someone right as their teammate spawned in on them. That in of itself was annoying but the newly spawned player got a huge received damage reduction that turned my ambush into a for sure death.

For games like Battlefield with large maps I think it's fine, but from what we've seen the maps are much more compacted and Squad spawning would just break everything.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but its real easy for that "currently being shot" to stop triggering for just a second while you're reloading or something and then a squad of dudes is on top of you. Or you just kinda miss one or two shots because they're kinda far away or something.

I've seen people spawn in front of me in Battlefield 1, don't lie to me.

:dice: can't make up its mind?

Its not that crazy to think that when games are like 3-4 years of development apart and involve lots of team members leaving and new people coming in, some ideas end up going back and forth.

Or they aren't actually the same game? Bfront has mechanics that focus play into a relatively small area around the current objective. Bfield has massive conquest maps. There just isn't the same need to get people near each other when it's a pretty short walk. If they can get squad wave spawning working I see no issue here.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

teh_Broseph posted:

The 24h max playercount sometime in Dec. 2016 was 10,000, as much as current known dead game FFXIV just had on Steam so like, OK dudeman. There was a bug that broke the gently caress out of matchmaking that lasted way too long but I was still getting games in like 30s or less when I stopped playing a little after the last DLC came out.

That may have been the way it was in the good old USA, but anywhere outside of NA it was a ghost town a month out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I haven't been following this much, if I liked the ideas in BF1 but found myself quickly getting bored with its execution is 2 enough of a refinement to be interesting?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't been following this much, if I liked the ideas in BF1 but found myself quickly getting bored with its execution is 2 enough of a refinement to be interesting?

The polarizing topic of the thread.

Some of us think not, some of us will buy it anyway because of Stockholm.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

sexpig by night posted:

Just in terms of pure gamefeel Bf2 moves a bit towards the field games. Not a lot, but it's just a little tougher with things like recoil and bloom being more noticable. Still no penalty to movement so run around like a crazy.

It also looks like there's more variety to the big game modes since instead of just walker assault each assault map has a unique set of objectives

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

If you got bored with 1, 2 is basically more of the same.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Skoll posted:

The polarizing topic of the thread.

Some of us think not, some of us will buy it anyway because of flyable Y-wings

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly this game seems to solve my biggest problem with the previous game: no prequel trilogy content. Seriously, the movies may have been poo poo (though I'll always have a special place in my heart for Episode 1) but they gave us so many neat toys to play with. They were MADE to become videogames and poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Flytrap posted:

my biggest problem with the previous game: no prequel trilogy content.

:eyepop:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

:same:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

The prequel trilogy are basically just games with too many bullshit talky cutscenes and no skip button. Trim the talky poo poo and you've got a good game in there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he's right

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I really wasn't looking forward to prequel content at all prior to the beta, and may have even considered it a negative. But I admit that Dice did a bang up job breathing life into both factions. They took some very bland source material and worked wonders with it.

I dig it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do have one more question, I've seen people talking about how the older style Battlefront gameplay was back, with vehicles and big maps making a more 'full on war' feeling, but all I've seen in my limited research has been dudes flying bombers over a battlefield. Are there junk like tanks and speeders and poo poo fuckin around too like Battlefront?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Chomp8645 posted:

I really wasn't looking forward to prequel content at all prior to the beta, and may have even considered it a negative. But I admit that Dice did a bang up job breathing life into both factions. They took some very bland source material and worked wonders with it.

I dig it.

They're pulling heavily from the clone wars cartoon. The actors for the clones, battledroids, tactical droid commanders, and maul and such are all the cartoon actors, so there's like 6 years of material to mine that fleshed out like how clones talk and the weird gear the factions use.

In particular, I'm happy to see the streamlined republic y-wings before the fairings were removed. They look sweet.

^ Tanks and speeders and such are in. The map in the beta was too tight for the tank to be much use but the rebel atrt was fun as poo poo. The way it works is you earn points for being useful and spend those points to bring in vehicles or heroes at various costs.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 1, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ShineDog posted:

They're pulling heavily from the clone wars cartoon. The actors for the clones, battledroids, tactical droid commanders, and maul and such are all the cartoon actors, so there's like 6 years of material to mine that fleshed out like how clones talk and the weird gear the factions use.

In particular, I'm happy to see the streamlined republic y-wings before the fairings were removed. They look sweet.

I'll take your word for it. I tried to watch the show but couldn't get passed a couple episodes. The whole thing was just incredibly juvenile, but I guess that's what I get for trying to watch something made for kids!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

I'll take your word for it. I tried to watch the show but couldn't get passed a couple episodes. The whole thing was just incredibly juvenile, but I guess that's what I get for trying to watch something made for kids!

The Clone War cartoon gets markedly better about midway through season 2. That's the point at which the show had started airing and the production team was getting feedback. They had the entire first season and part of the second in the can before it started airing. Starting at mid-season 2, a lot of the kiddy cutesy nickname poo poo (snipe and skyguy) went away, and it started to feel more like an all-ages show that just happened to be animated.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Chomp8645 posted:

It's quite dark actually, after the first season, poo poo gets real and eventually, everyone dies. It's WAR after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

There is noticeable improvement around the midway point of season 3, but anyone who considers it something worthwhile for adults is kidding themselves. Probably a good show for the age group, but I regret sitting through the whole thing.

• Locked thread