Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
how do u get greirat to survive the 3rd trip again (to lothric)? the wiki says it cant be done but im all but positive that i've done it before myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
maybe not though now that i think of it .. hmm. no i guess he probably died since i remember where you loot his ashes from.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Greirat survives if you save Siegward in the cathedral by buying his armor off Patches and delivering it to him. If you meet Siegward in the kitchen while Greirat is away scavenging then you know you succeeded.

Soral
May 30, 2009

greirat can't survive the trip to lothric, but its still beneficial to send him there depending on if youre a big ranged weapon user since his ashes unlock exploding bolts and i think one other type of arrow that you only otherwise get like 15 of in an entire cycle without sending greirat to his death

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Greirat survives if you save Siegward in the cathedral by buying his armor off Patches and delivering it to him. If you meet Siegward in the kitchen while Greirat is away scavenging then you know you succeeded.

HOWEVER, if you then proceed through ithryll dungeon and profaned capital and defeat Yhorm before killing Pontiff and Aldrich, Greirat will die because of what happens when you defeat Yhorm.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think they kinda went overboard on the NPC quests in 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like in Bloodborne I was able to piece together the story requirements over 2 or 3 playthroughs because as long you talk to everybody they kinda say what they're doing/where they're going. I never would have in a million years figured out the seigward quest line on my own.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah. Complete Irithyll city before going to the dungeons and profaned capital to save your buddy

Soral
May 30, 2009

they definitely feel much "looser" than the quests in dark souls 1 for some reason i can't really put my finger on. i don't think any of them are exceptionally more obtuse or weird than, say, siegmeyer's, when you hold them up to scrutiny but there's just a few too many wandering types and none of them are as straight forward as griggs, ingward, or laurentius.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the only truly hosed up questline is sirris', i think, because of the insane placement of her encounters and how they function completely differently to all other npcs except 1, and also she gets pissed off at you for respeccing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you have to backtrack to check for siegward at the church, his quest was also tied to Patches which would randomly decide not to show up at any of his own events and then pop in firelink once you progressed enough lol

theres no way you couldve figured a lot of the npc stuff out without guides, esp. the secret ending stuff. probably the intent but its p. annoying

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, Sirris quest is the weakest

Dark Souls 1 npcs probably feel cooler because there are less of them with less obtuse progress conditions. Like if you summon Solaire for boss fights you'll have him until the very end with only one twist near the end (darkness bugs and the really specific way to deal with them)

I think that was supposed to be a huge rumor type of thing ("my uncle at from told md you can SAVE SOLAIRE") but obviously in the age of online wikis and discussion board that kind of mystery doesn't last for long.

Similarily Lautrec is painted as untrustworthy from the beginning but a newbie might think there's an actual reward helping him, only to learn that he's a huge butthole lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in demon souls the lautrec equivalent would go nuts and kill everyone, including the guy who stores your items iirc if you kept progressing thru the game and didnt checkin at home lol

i guess in dark souls they realized that was very extreme. esp. when the character wasnt very obviously a dick like lautrec

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but you find the demons souls guy locked up in prison and when he escape he cackles for like 10 seconds straight

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Yeah but you find the demons souls guy locked up in prison and when he escape he cackles for like 10 seconds straight

*marge from the simpsons voice* He seems nice!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ahhhh i forgot how great the pontiff fight is!!

deciding to make a new character for the DLC was worth it. The base game is so good and playing through it again as a new character is a joy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got to the boss for the DLC:

pretty awesome! reminds me of lady maria with an intermission thrown in. i sort of wish i was fighting the dude nailed to the chair instead, but whatever, still a very well done boss fight. i've gotten the last phase down to about 50%... i think i just need to learn her moveset and i'll be good.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

na i meant the next excursion after. but i have my answer so tyvm every1

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i got to the boss for the DLC:

pretty awesome! reminds me of lady maria with an intermission thrown in. i sort of wish i was fighting the dude nailed to the chair instead, but whatever, still a very well done boss fight. i've gotten the last phase down to about 50%... i think i just need to learn her moveset and i'll be good.

:)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got to the other boss in the dlc, very cool but feel he needs like triple hp lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i got to the other boss in the dlc, very cool but feel he needs like triple hp lol

that was a cool fight, but it was over before i knew it. i agree.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah he's just a glorified invader.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

I.N.R.I posted:

na i meant the next excursion after. but i have my answer so tyvm every1

Haha drat. I forgot about that last time. Ohh well.

Just started the DLC and it is epic. The (weapon spoilers) follower sabre feels powerful as hell.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I really wanted to like th black knight great axe but the move set kinda sucks, so I got a black knight sword and I like it but then I got the black knight glaive and it's superior to them all 😑

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The BK Glaive harvested much buttsalt from this one.

Dec 26, 2012

all the weapons so far ive seen are pretty sweet. not bloodborne level but still. all of them having unique skills is really good too

Haha drat. I forgot about that last time. Ohh well.

Just started the DLC and it is epic. The (weapon spoilers) follower sabre feels powerful as hell.

i get the feeling it's gonna be the new meta for awhile

Bobnumerotres posted:

i thought it was gonna be hard and then i staggered it by accident and whoops there goes half the healthbar

Soral
May 30, 2009

Kild posted:

Yeah he's just a glorified invader.

the actual invaders in the dlc were like 10x harder lol

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009
Was anyone else jumped by the second boss when fighting packs of wolves ?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dec 26, 2012

bokealoke posted:

Was anyone else jumped by the second boss when fighting packs of wolves ?

yeah i had no idea what was going on

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
did i ruin anything if i instantly ran up and attacked the knight NPC outside the chapel doors? he didn't aggrieved but he called me a stupid hollow and teleported away .... oops

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

goferchan posted:

did i ruin anything if i instantly ran up and attacked the knight NPC outside the chapel doors? he didn't aggrieved but he called me a stupid hollow and teleported away .... oops

thats such a noob move bro.. do not fire unless fired upon

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

i'm going to say probably not

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rediscover posted:

thats such a noob move bro.. do not fire unless fired upon

lI know I was getting really fired up killing all of the bird corpses in the moat lol... haven't really played since launch. also am i getting unique dialogue because i did the marriage plot line? people are calling me the lord of londor and poo poo which i don't think would make sense otherwise. and when i murked the knight he was like "yuria, what have you done..."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a neat touch, they just use the usual ash/fire stuff for me

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

lI know I was getting really fired up killing all of the bird corpses in the moat lol... haven't really played since launch. also am i getting unique dialogue because i did the marriage plot line? people are calling me the lord of londor and poo poo which i don't think would make sense otherwise. and when i murked the knight he was like "yuria, what have you done..."

haha, yeah, that's unique. i didn't get any of that.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Just the way the music changes in firelink when you give her the eyes from "dark fantasy world" to "insidious betrayal" is an amazing touch. They've really mastered this and I can't wait to see what they do next

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

i got the same stuff, i forgot i was doing that run on this char haha. that owns

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009
If you go back and talk to Yuria at Firelink shrine she also has a few new lines of dialogue, both for the beginning and end of the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I found one boss, lovely arena and cool second phase. I need to find the other

• Locked thread