Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ah, that's actually pretty neat. I feel like it was cut for a reason, but now I know why there are discs everywhere at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

aniviron posted:

now I know why there are discs everywhere at least.

What are you referring to? I've got a pretty short memory.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't have a screenshot, but they were stacks of thin cylinders inside a metal casing, with an angled wire frame keeping them upright on shelves, had a bit of a trapezoidal profile from the side I think,

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

Ah, that's actually pretty neat. I feel like it was cut for a reason, but now I know why there are discs everywhere at least.

I think it was cut mostly due to time constraints because its questline provides a massive amount of context for the ending of the game. The gun uses a type of artificial brain that can directly read a human mind. It's a hybrid of typhon biology and human technology that's self aware and empathetic, and its mind and memories can be transferred fully intact into an operator's body.

That explains a lot of the ending, wrt Morgan's memories, the simulation and the named characters showing up as operators.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Alex Yu's voice actor, Benedict Wong is a character in Annihilation (Alex Garland).

If people like the alien horror of Prey, they might like this. It's on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I finally finished the game this weekend, and I was looking at the IMDB page because I was curious and lol, Danielle Sho's voice actor played Ann "Her?" Veal on Arrested Development.

And apparently they actually got Tom Kenny for the Medical Operators?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Everyone knows that the REAL Ann was Alessandra Torresani. :colbert:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Entropic posted:

And apparently they actually got Tom Kenny for the Medical Operators?
How did you not notice this immediately

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Alex Yu's voice actor, Benedict Wong is a character in Annihilation (Alex Garland).

If people like the alien horror of Prey, they might like this. It's on Netflix.

Not in the states, unfortunately (it's in cinemas).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Basic Chunnel posted:

How did you not notice this immediately

I mean it's a thing where it's a bit part with a Tom Kenny Type Voice that you wouldn't expect them to actually go and hire the real Tom Kenny for.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

I think it was cut mostly due to time constraints because its questline provides a massive amount of context for the ending of the game. The gun uses a type of artificial brain that can directly read a human mind. It's a hybrid of typhon biology and human technology that's self aware and empathetic, and its mind and memories can be transferred fully intact into an operator's body.

That explains a lot of the ending, wrt Morgan's memories, the simulation and the named characters showing up as operators.

Someone extracted all the voice lines for the gun and put them through a text-to-speech generator and yeah it's really a shame they had to cut it because like you said it does add a lot to the ending and opens up questions about the characters-as-operators at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSgq8foxgc

There are loads of extra details. The gun would eventually refuse to function if you wouldn't recycle it. Its creator (one of the crew members you find dead in the Hardware Labs) developed an empathy inhibitor that makes the gun a bloodthirsty killer. You could install the inhibitor or transfer the gun's mind into a medical operator so it can heal instead of kill.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So the disc gun is basically the Butter-Passing Robot from Rick & Morty?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why would you give a gun sentience, let alone empathy? What would it even use them for? Seems like a pretty terrible idea to me

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Why would you give a gun sentience, let alone empathy? What would it even use them for? Seems like a pretty terrible idea to me

Borderlands 2 had a gun like that. It was a sniper rifle with an AI installed that loved killing people and would give you poo poo if you missed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vakal posted:

Borderlands 2 had a gun like that. It was a sniper rifle with an AI installed that loved killing people and would give you poo poo if you missed.

There's also a shotgun (or a talking shield, if you complete the quest differently).

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

There's also a shotgun (or a talking shield, if you complete the quest differently).

There were a lot of talking guns in BL2, including one that just constantly screamed when you held down the trigger if I remember correctly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vakal posted:

There were a lot of talking guns in BL2, including one that just constantly screamed when you held down the trigger if I remember correctly.

Yeah, the bane

I don't think there are any others.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Seems like a pretty terrible idea to me

Welcome to Talos One.

Really, though, I assume the intention was to suppress the empathy with the aforementioned inhibitor for the final product, and they just hadn't put it in yet.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 9, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rinkles posted:

Not in the states, unfortunately (it's in cinemas).

Dang. I didn't realise, we didn't get it in cinemas here (I'd have gone to see it, it's cool).

It's strange hearing Alex talk about aliens again :3:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Welcome to Talos One.

Really, though, I assume the intention was to suppress the empathy with the aforementioned inhibitor for the final product, and they just hadn't put it in yet.

Even without the empathy though, what's the point? What purpose does the sentience serve? Also giving an inanimate object sentience is some incredibly cruel Black Mirror poo poo

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it might've been originally a tool that was then repurposed into a weapon, which would make giving it sentience slightly less offensive.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A gun that doesn't want to shoot Typhon: shameful

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I figured it was a test run for suppressing empathy during combat. If a tool specifically designed to kill wouldn't do so with the suppression in place, using it on more empathic people would be a bit poo poo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Even without the empathy though, what's the point? What purpose does the sentience serve? Also giving an inanimate object sentience is some incredibly cruel Black Mirror poo poo

"now, from Trioptimum Transtar incorporated, guns for the enthousiast that will refuse to fire on civilians! Enjoy the fun and carefree hobby of shooting Manly Guns without the risk of accidents or illegal shootouts*. Will function when your life is detected as being endangered. Available now at your local TranStarMart at 15% off!

*empathy inhibitors available for law enforcement, military, riot control, and fire brigade personnel, do not ingest, do not submerge in water. Transtar is not liable for any accidental or intentional wounding and/or killing of friends, family, or hated manager.

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 9, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

As I understood the vague descriptions the gun's brain wasn't designed specifically to be a gun, they had just put one in a gun to see what happens.

It seems to me as though they intended for that technology to recreate the minds of different people. AI like January were proof of concept and the full recreations of human minds like Igwe and Danielle are the end result. The events of the game are a successful attempt at integrating a recreation of Morgan's mind into a Typhon, made possible because the artificial brain is capable of empathy despite probably being made of Typhon parts.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 9, 2018

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
If you listen to the audio, the creator was forced to stop working on the project and undergo removal of all his neuromods. Which implies that the empathy was unintentional and once he realized he had to make an inhibitor he had all the same concerns people in the thread are mentioning. So TranStar higher-ups decided to kick him off the project and make him forget it ever happened.

Wafflecopper posted:

There may have been no purpose beyond "let's experiment and see what happens". TranStar clearly doesn't care much for ethics. Also Typhon sentience, if it exists, would seem to be very different from human sentience just from observing Typhon behavior. I don't think you can make the assumption that it would automatically be as cruel.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

As I understood the vague descriptions the gun's brain wasn't designed specifically to be a gun, they had just put one in a gun to see what happens.

transtar deserved every bad thing that happened to them

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Digirat posted:

transtar deserved every bad thing that happened to them

Morgan and Alex are Literally Mengele.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You are an old CRT monitor, brought to life. The only answer you can find to the crushing existential question of why you Are to justify your suffering is that a couple of cocks in lab coats said “why not.”

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FourLeaf posted:

If you listen to the audio, the creator was forced to stop working on the project and undergo removal of all his neuromods. Which implies that the empathy was unintentional and once he realized he had to make an inhibitor he had all the same concerns people in the thread are mentioning. So TranStar higher-ups decided to kick him off the project and make him forget it ever happened.

The disk gun is a hybrot, which is what January is. They're machines that recreate the structure of a biological brain using organic materials It's implied that the gun is a combination of organic, exotic, human and typhon. Making empathetic typhon brains was one of the experiments being proposed in psychotronics, and I imagine that Cazavor was a similar direction of research underway in the other lab.

The creator having his neuromods removed also isn't too ominous, it's stated that people can have bad reactions to them and need them to be removed. There are examples of people who are fired from the station, and in those instances they just kind of disappear, their records erased, and any employees who knew them have their memories edited in order to forget them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digirat posted:

You are an old CRT monitor, brought to life. The only answer you can find to the crushing existential question of why you Are to justify your suffering is that a couple of cocks in lab coats said “why not.”

That's sorta true of all life already. Your parents were bored so they had sex and there you are. Life is a "why not" for all of us. None of us come with inbuilt purposes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The implications of TranStar being able to take advantage of neuromod memory resets is slightly terrifying in itself.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They spell out pretty explicitly in some of the emails that they do exactly that, they use the mods specifically to wipe the memories of their employees after big projects.

Which seems like a terrible long-term strategy, but then again, when has MegaCapitalism ever focused on anything further away than this quarter's profits?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mymla posted:

Morgan and Alex are Literally Mengele.

Their dad seems even worse

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neurosis posted:

Their dad seems even worse

I wish he had been in the game more. I can't believe they got loving James Hong to do his voice and then don't do poo poo with him.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Even when we're dead, it won't be over.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I used to wish we weren't alone in the universe...

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
They want to live inside us, like a disease...

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
What do you see in the glass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

48 Hour Boner posted:

What do you see in the glass?

Bad posts