Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't want to continue to poke the crazy, but can we just back up a second,

Incelshok Na posted:

Remember when Baby Boba Fett was on Rebels and helped teach Ezra how to get his groove back? It was pretty loving awful.
I literally have zero recollection of this happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I don't see what's so hard to understand?

I like good things and don't like bad things. Star Wars is at its best when it is ripping off other stories. Star Wars is at its worst when it steals from itself. Mando S1 did a great job being Wolf and Cub in SPAAACE. Adding the darksaber, Ahsoka, presumably Sabine, possibly Ezra, etc. makes me extremely worried because all those things belong in the past. Their stories, such as they were, are happily done. And, frankly, weren't that good to begin with.

People are excited about bringing these characters back because they like bad things, so I point out that they like bad things. In your case, that is particularly easy since you are repping the loving EU.

Filoni has some solid ideas but unless he is reigned in, he is loving awful. S1 was reigned in, collaborative Filoni. S2 looks like it will be Filoni unleashed and I'm concerned a good show will suck. It's the Prequels all over again.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

howe_sam posted:

I don't want to continue to poke the crazy, but can we just back up a second,

I literally have zero recollection of this happening.

A quick glance at google shows me that Baby Boba Fett was in Clone Wars, not Rebels. Bossk, who was Baby Boba Fett's dad in Clone Wars was in Rebels and helps Ezra get his groove back. I apologize for the confusion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ahsoka no bad. Ahsoka is good.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

How did Dave Filoni hurt you bro

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
She went from being good to being the GM's favorite NPC that he inserts into every single campaign and every eventuality. Those characters wear out their welcome remarkably quickly because the campaign just becomes a story that revolves around the GM's favorite NPC. We've seen that before.

Twice now.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Incelshok Na posted:

Bossk, who was Baby Boba Fett's dad in Clone Wars was in Rebels and helps Ezra get his groove back. I apologize for the confusion.

This does not happen in the show but in a tie-in comic that nobody over the age of 10 has ever read.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cargohills posted:

This does not happen in the show but in a tie-in comic that nobody over the age of 10 has ever read.

I just assumed it was made up for kicks.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Maybe I'm thinking of Hondo then, he was definitely in Rebels and hung out with baby Boba Fett. I'm just googling poo poo because I remember Baby Boba Fett and I could have sworn he met with Ezra. I will admit to having poor recollection of shows I wasn't enamored with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm just describing things that happened on the shows we are talking about.

Did you not watch them?

Incelshok Na posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of Hondo then, he was definitely in Rebels and hung out with baby Boba Fett. I'm just googling poo poo because I remember Baby Boba Fett and I could have sworn he met with Ezra. I will admit to having poor recollection of shows I wasn't enamored with.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
They kept bringing back a bunch of characters and it was dogshit. I apologize for confusing which bad characters got brought back when.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If you already know you won't like it, just don't watch it and leave us in peace. I don't go into the Doctor Who or Star Trek Discovery threads to poo poo on them for liking things that I don't. And I also, and try to keep up with me on this, just don't watch the shows. It really is that simple, and my mental and emotional health are the better for it, not to mention people posting in those threads.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
My first memory is my older brother reading the subtitles in Jabba's Palace. For better or for worse, I'm in it for the long haul. I was born to Star Wars and I'll die to Star Wars and there will be Star Wars in between on holidays. But I'll also bitch about it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Incelshok Na posted:

But I'll also bitch about it.

Do it somewhere else.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Kvetching about poo poo with nerds is why I regularly pay :10bux: to be on this website. I don't have those outlets in meatspace. For good reason.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Season 2 looks like poo poo, the sexy dancing yoda wearing a g-string wasn't funny at all and looked like a gnome or something.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You don’t “regularly” pay $10 for this forum unless you’re getting banned and re-regging regularly, which, yeah. Checks out.

Ahsoka is good. Clone Wars and Rebels were good. The darksaber is good. Filoni is good. gently caress you and good night.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ahsoka is pretty cool, I like her :)

Thrawn is kinda boring though

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I'm pretty sure mando said "i acquit" not "i quit" when he left the guild

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Incelshok Na posted:

Kvetching about poo poo with nerds is why I regularly pay :10bux: to be on this website. I don't have those outlets in meatspace. For good reason.

Regularly?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Incelshok Na posted:

I don't have those outlets in meatspace. For good reason.

Because you’re an rear end in a top hat?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm much more on the "casual" side of the spectrum

Lmao that someone who uses the word meatspace unironically and is arguing about Star Wars on an Internet forum for nerds and knows the ins and outs of the EU enough to bitch about them considers themselves a casual

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Maybe he's thinking of Darth Maul. I'm still on the first season of Rebels but I know he shows up at some point and helps Ezra.

Incelshok Na posted:

Oh so you're a rereg who gets banned a lot. Can't imagine why. Please go away.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t think the personal attacks are all that necessary. They’re just going to make him post more often and more combatively.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hazo posted:

Maybe he's thinking of Darth Maul. I'm still on the first season of Rebels but I know he shows up at some point and helps Ezra.

He's glorious in Rebels and S7 of Clone Wars. Just introducing his brother had "bad idea" written all over it. Bringing him back from the dead couldn't possibly have worked. But somehow it did and gave us some great stories. I trust Filoni.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lmao that someone who uses the word meatspace unironically and is arguing about Star Wars on an Internet forum for nerds and knows the ins and outs of the EU enough to bitch about them considers themselves a casual

I'm proud to say that I've never read an EU novel. Because I spend time on the internet, I've absorbed a fair amount through osmosis though.

And yeah, I keep a strong separation between on-line and real-life. I think that is healthy. The internet, and somethingawful in particular, gives me a nice outlet for my nerd poo poo. That also spares me from having to engage with nerd spaces in real life. It works out nicely for everybody.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It'll work out nicely for the next 24 hours, anyway.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Incelshok Na posted:

That also spares me from having to engage with nerd spaces in real life. It works out nicely for everybody.

This reads to me as either "I loathe nerds they're awful not me though" or "I'm so insufferable I was even run out of Friday Night Magic"

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm certain a large chunk of Disney+ subs who enjoyed Mandalorian likely have little to no idea who Ahsoka, Rex, Sabine, or Ezra are.

Yup, I am willing to give S2 a good shot cause S1 was great, but all the talk of the cartoons I never watched and probably never will gives me pause. I hope they integrate that stuff in a way that is subtle and good, but the potential of a flood of (old) OCs to be suddenly introduced is a complication here. Lots of times you can tell a show or an episode is really made for a specific type of fan. The fact S1 was good and they are working with material they’ve done before with said characters gives me some hope.

e: I’m thinking of the very end of Solo where Maul shows up and just lol, like I was vaguely aware that in the cartoons or whatever he shows up again, but it is still pretty funny and confusing that oh yeah, the guy from Ep 1 who got bisected is... what does this mean? That was a not-great insertion of EU concepts.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 21, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rob Rockley posted:

Yup, I am willing to give S2 a good shot cause S1 was great, but all the talk of the cartoons I never watched and probably never will gives me pause.

The point I was making by saying that is Ahsoka, Ezra, Sabine, Rex, or whoever else they cull from whatever will essentially be new characters to a whole lot of new people, including yourself. You knew who Maul was and carry pre-existing baggage with that character, and from what I remember, the only reason Maul was put in Solo was because Ron Howard's 31 year old son thought that would be a cool cameo. I'm sure way more forethought will be put towards integrating a character like Ahsoka into The Mandalorian, considering the creative heads involved.

[edit] The extent of the Maul cameo in Solo was superficial fanservice pushed by studio execs at best. Leveraging The Mandalorian's popularity as a vehicle to introduce storied characters like Ahsoka and Sabine—who would remain unknown to a large portion of Mandalorian fans otherwise—is a net win for both fans of the animated series and for new fans because of their potential to enrich and embellish the series, imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How people who are unfamiliar with the animated shows view Ahsoka will probably depend on how she’s handled. One of the last surviving Jedi who managed to escape the purge? Cool. Anakin’s secret padawan who was somehow never mentioned in any of the films? Definitely more of a stretch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It'd be cool if they somehow kept the reveal of Ahsoka's Jedi training a secret and have it be a big reveal, but I know that's not possible. And they already sorta did that story beat with the Martez sisters in Clone Wars season 7 I guess. Definitely curious to see how they handle her relationship to Anakin and the Jedi in general. Per season 1, it really felt like they were playing up the mysticism surrounding the Jedi apparent in A New Hope, what with Mando himself not even knowing about them, and them labeled as 'sorcerers' and whatnot. Excited to see their angle of approach.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Chiming in as the casual fan of SW with my anecdotal evidence that Mandalorian did good. The full lean on spaghetti western, Pedro Pascual, and the amazing soundtrack made me come back to liking SW again. Mandalorian was my gateway to watching Clone Wars and Rebels.

I want to thank you all in this thread for welcoming dumb questions and not veering too long on "Just how bad is the new trilogy?" tangents. I learned so much that I was able to explain SW lore to friends and family.

Looking forward to lurking this thread again for live reactions and commentary once S2 starts up.

Phylodox posted:

How people who are unfamiliar with the animated shows view Ahsoka will probably depend on how she’s handled. One of the last surviving Jedi who managed to escape the purge? Cool. Anakin's secret padawan who was somehow never mentioned in any of the films? Definitely more of a stretch.

Hot take: Filoni will explain that Ahsoka's greatest Jedi mind trick was to make everyone forget she existed.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Incelshok Na posted:

Coming from someone with a Thrawn-tar I'll take that as a compliment. I sure as poo poo don't want to be on your wavelength.

Tell us again how you're on the casual side of the fan spectrum.

Edit: Pft. Beaten to this point by Forums User Butterfly Valley....

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 21, 2020

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
He's certainly on some spectrum

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can we not joke about being on the spectrum, especially in the Mandalorian thread.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

<This space reserved for a standard oh-a-bunch-of-posts-hey-guys-what's-going-on-in-this-thread-yikes response to be named later>

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bear in mind I'm defending the weirdo when I say this. I liked the first three seasons of Clone Wars better than the later ones. To me the strength of the show was that it could show vignettes of the war from multiple characters to paint a broader picture, and when it started narrowing its focus onto just Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka it started to lose me. It also hurt the show in some places, my biggest issue being how Ahsoka left the Order. They needed to give her a personal betrayal to really make the her being framed sting, but they really hadn't built up any relationships outside of Barriss, a character who hadn't had a focus episode since season 2 and had only a brief cameo in season 3.

In that show's situation it was a tighter focus that undid it for me. For Mandalorian its the inverse. The tight focus really makes the show work as a weekly adventure series and I'm worried that expanding the cast too much could dilute the show and divert too much attention from what makes it work.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rob Rockley posted:

Yup, I am willing to give S2 a good shot cause S1 was great, but all the talk of the cartoons I never watched and probably never will gives me pause. I hope they integrate that stuff in a way that is subtle and good, but the potential of a flood of (old) OCs to be suddenly introduced is a complication here. Lots of times you can tell a show or an episode is really made for a specific type of fan. The fact S1 was good and they are working with material they’ve done before with said characters gives me some hope.

e: I’m thinking of the very end of Solo where Maul shows up and just lol, like I was vaguely aware that in the cartoons or whatever he shows up again, but it is still pretty funny and confusing that oh yeah, the guy from Ep 1 who got bisected is... what does this mean? That was a not-great insertion of EU concepts.

For what its worth, I watched Rebels and a curated list of Clones War episodes between seasons 1 and 2 of the Mandalorian because I needed my Filoniverse fix and I gotta say, they're both really quite good. You might not have time to binge it all before the S2 premiere, but I heartily recommend exploring both shows when you have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Arcsquad12 posted:

In that show's situation it was a tighter focus that undid it for me. For Mandalorian its the inverse. The tight focus really makes the show work as a weekly adventure series and I'm worried that expanding the cast too much could dilute the show and divert too much attention from what makes it work.

Has it been said anywhere that the (rumoured) characters coming in from Rebels will be sticking around for more than an episode or two? I suspect those of you who are worrying over this are doing so needlessly. They're not about to make this a show with an ensemble cast present in every episode. The core concept of the show is wolf & cub and I don't see that changing for more than a couple of episodes at a time.

With the strong rumours of a Rebels sequel I could certainly see these character appearances being a tease or hook into that. "Oh, you want to learn more about these cool people? While you're waiting for their new adventures, go check out their origins!"