Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Crumpet posted:

When you trace your traffic to the servers after having problems and the trace dies every single trying to get to the last Level 3 hop, you know there's a problem with whatever link is up there, not with people's ISPs (especially when this has been happening to a large amount of people off and on). Level 3 is a big ISP - don't trust a single word they say; they've been caught out for awful business practices in the past anyway. They probably get a bit more hate than they deserve, but there was definitely something wrong that they didn't care to investigate.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Level 3 has an decently well deserved bad reputation. Of the tier 1 backbone companies, I'd say they're the worst, both from a wider perspective, and previously being a client of theirs. Most of the issues stemmed I think for the Level 3 peering facility in Montreal, or really, the apparent lack of peering bandwidth there. I remember reading somewhere that during times of great congestion, there was a chance your traffic could end up getting routed though microwave backhaul across the US/CA border.

Speaking of backbone, I don't know what network the EU servers are on, but it looks like all the Japanese and US infrastructure are all now on NTT's tier 1 backbone. At least for me, the traffic moves right into NTT's network almost immediately.
That's pretty fair. Guess in the war between L3 and Comcast/Verizon/AT&T on who's being the bigger shithead I'm going to assume the later because well they've earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
full disclosure: my new ping is 8ms

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For anyone majorly impacted by this, go download mudfish, give them $3, and never worry about it again.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you have a few hundred k gil just holler at me or any of the crafters in game and we can probably spit you out a 250 weapon.

For new 60s, don't forget to post in Fister's FFGoons thread, hit us up in game, and/or hit us up in the discord.

What is this thread?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Memnaelar posted:

What is this thread?

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27647

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
Do they really need to keep the european servers down for 24 hours just for maintenance and this thing? I need to fish before I get withdrawl.

also, hi thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Assuming that IP is right, my ping is set to more than double.

Also this:

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/864511717941837824

Hey, do you still need a Coil party? We can put a group together the moment the servers go back up.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

a7m2 posted:

Thanks. Is the FC you're in good and looking for members? I'm transferring my character there today or tomorrow.

Late reply (or more like this thread seems to be moving fast with servers down), but I don't have an FC there. It's just an alt I play every so often when I'm in the mood. So sorry, I can't help you. I do get the typical FC invite spam though, and a lot of it comes with nice dudes sending tells for invites. Hopefully you can find a good home.

I have an account that only allows one character per server, so I had to level an alt on another server. I chose a Japanese data centre because I thought it'd be a slightly different levelling experience. It's not much different, but no one's left me behind while I was watching cutscenes. Curious to see if that'll continue when I hit the 50 stuff but I also am not in a rush to level that far again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey, do you still need a Coil party? We can put a group together the moment the servers go back up.

quoting in case you have him on ignore xenoveritas

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So tracepath tells you the route your traffic takes to the final destination, along with the amount of time it takes for a packet to get there and back for each node on the path, correct?

If so, my traffic is getting routed through Level 3, but the biggest gap is between an NTT node in NYC at 36ms to another NTT node in I guess Seattle at 96ms. So, thanks a lot, Yoshida! :argh:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sapphira posted:

Do they really need to keep the european servers down for 24 hours just for maintenance and this thing? I need to fish before I get withdrawl.

also, hi thread.

I'd imagine so if they're goofing with the lobby servers or accounting. No matter where you're located at, your client does a decent amount of talking to servers in Japan, since I'd guess that's where all the account management stuff still is.

Also, wasn't it mentioned that this was also a move to all new server hardware? Regardless of the datacenter move, they could be doing that as well.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
come to think of it, NTT is a japanese company, and they own a huge chunk of cross-pacific cable that terminates in...sacramento

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm mostly happy that they really upped the buckle game on Lyse's outfit. I mean, we need to move this FF into the modern age, and that means more and more buckles.

The nipple tape on DRK 200 gear doesn't count.

Reiterpallasch posted:

full disclosure: my new ping is 8ms

Mine's like 30, which is kind of weird because I could probably drive to the servers in under an hour if I knew where they were. It looks like my connection actually does a big loop around Sac like it's swirling the drain, which I feel is an apt comparison for Sacramento as a place. And my time spent playing this game. And my life in general. Lots of things.

With my luck this also means that the ninja job changes will get rid of mudra lag anyway, so I'll get to enjoy like a month of playing the class as originally intended and then it goes away.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pretty sure this won't change a thing for me since I'm halfway between Montreal and Sacramento, infrastructure-wise. I'm jealous of the people who are practically living on top of the data center though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah. It's literally NTT backbone <-> load balancer <-> new FFXIV servers. I take back initial comments--this setup has nothing to do with capacity, but makes perfect sense if they need to talk to machines in Japan. One of the fattest cross-pacific cables ends ten feet away in their proverbial backyard. Wonder why they went for Montreal in the first place if that was a concern, though.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
So as someone who has been playing from EU using VPN for the last few years, I've hovered around 135 ms on average, and its been good enough for anything. Now after server move seems my ping will rise over 210, so not sure if that's going to work out well.
Sorta would prefer not to have to server transfer, loosing estate, FC, raid group and in game friends, on top of having to pay for the transfer, I may as well throw in the towel for XIV if it comes to that.
The trailer video released today looks hella sweet though, so I've got mixed emotions right now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yeah. It's literally NTT backbone <-> load balancer <-> new FFXIV servers. I take back initial comments--this setup has nothing to do with capacity, but makes perfect sense if they need to talk to machines in Japan. One of the fattest cross-pacific cables ends ten feet away in their proverbial backyard. Wonder why they went for Montreal in the first place if that was a concern, though.

As someone who has zero knowledge of server architecture or any of this, would cost be an issue? They might have had to find ways to make it work on a limited budget for the relaunch.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm on the west coast and while I'm definitely happy about my decreased ping I agree that putting it somewhere with more balanced latency probably would've been better.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It could be they were looking for a lower cost solution for the SB launch, since with NTT right there they could theoretically do load balancing across the Pacific Ocean for noncombat instances.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As someone who has zero knowledge of server architecture or any of this, would cost be an issue? They might have had to find ways to make it work on a limited budget for the relaunch.

SQEX has, or had, a development office in Montreal. They might just have known a guy who knew a guy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't know what mine was before, but i'm 97 ms on a fiber optic connection, which feels decidedly not-great, but it's also not that far off from what i get in wow, so i'll manage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Reiterpallasch posted:

My guess is that Montreal was the best spot to host both the EU and NA datacenters because California wasn't good for the EU stuff. Once they realized the EU contingent was large enough to justify a full up EU setup, that freed the NA stuff to move to a better location.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I'm averaging 107 at work. Home should be similar since its the same ISP. I have no idea how much that changed.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Chalk another one up for 'Already there!'. Rag's a great server.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

wow it sucks having an extra 50 ping in a game I have multiple seconds to think about my next ability cast

this is a slap in the face

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

wow it sucks having an extra 50 ping in a game I have multiple seconds to think about my next ability cast

Yes this is clearly the issue people are having with latency in this game. You're very smart.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If I use mudfish does watching videos and listening to music impact the bandwidth you buy or is it like a tunneler that only routes the traffic from FFXIV's executable?

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

It was cheap and I'm pretty sure the exact place that was hosting the now moved servers was also doing something else (FFXI maybe?) for sqenix. I believe NTT gave sqenix a significant deal to move, which will more than likely be why they moved - I'd expect anything else that was in that location to move before long if that's the case.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

i mean 2 is the bare minimum number of seconds which could constitute 'multiple' and that's pretty much how fast the gcd is

also if you're doing content that's remotely challenging higher ping means clipping your ogcds

oh i see your only other post itt is complaining about leveling. i would love to hear all of your doubtlessly well-informed opinions about this, the fourteenth final fantasy game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

average human reaction time is 250 milliseconds
*game updates to have 50 millisecond more ping*
"guys i'm seriously reconsidering the 10000 hours I put into this game"

panda clue
May 23, 2014

do you even play this game?

I got to 57 and quit because the grind become too real and 60 didn't seem to be much different

Is there real stuff now and/or did they add stuff so you didn't have to chain dungeons (which is impossible as dps)

???

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
160+ ping is usually where people have trouble double weaving oGCDs without clipping, which is kind of important. I legitimately hope SQEX does the honorable thing and allow free server transfers to the EU datacenter.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

quoting a moron

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, you're an idiot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr E posted:

If I use mudfish does watching videos and listening to music impact the bandwidth you buy or is it like a tunneler that only routes the traffic from FFXIV's executable?

Just ffxiv's. I do everything else without issue.

Fun fact, if you want to instantly DC while using mudfish you can just close the proxy and you'll drop.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You realize that reaction time is essentially biological latency, which you'd actually add on top of the electronic latency for figuring out the total reaction time?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For the goon who asked in PMs:

Pinging 204.2.229.41 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 204.2.229.41:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

That's going from the East Bay, through Comcast, while still using my VPN, but now selecting the exit node closest to me. (But I use a VPN 24/7 anyways, so.)

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I had forgotten about your gil going bye bye and all that on a transfer which changed my "probably never" on transferring to a hard no.

Allagan coins, demimateria, these things have a fixed minimum value, so even if you can't re-hock them on the AH on your new server, you can at least sell them to vendor for their face value.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Because Squeenix Montreal is a studio that is a thing. I still wish they'd plunked it somewhere in the middle of the country, having people to play with is more important than pings to me and I'll be sad if the eurogoons have to leave. =(

panda clue
May 23, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For the goon who asked in PMs:

Pinging 204.2.229.41 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 204.2.229.41:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

That's going from the East Bay, through Comcast, while still using my VPN, but now selecting the exit node closest to me. (But I use a VPN 24/7 anyways, so.)

That was me who PM'd you. I live in the bay area though so I'm pretttty sure my connection will be fine now. I don't think putting the servers on the west coast was the best choice or the fairest choice, but I'm here so I can't really complain about it either.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

do you even play this game?

ya im still 57 I like to fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

where are yall obtaining IP addresses to test latency?

• Locked thread