Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

When shooting black and white film outdoors in daylight, could I use a linear polarizer to sufficiently darken the sky instead of using a yellow filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So i'm going to a concert in Boston (KMFDM) and I really want to bring my film camera (Maxxum 5) since I bought a few months ago and have YET to shoot on it. It's pretty much my first film camera and was wondering if anyone else shoots concerts on film anymore and if you do what kind of film would you suggest? I hear the lighting is pretty decent in the venue (Royale) so just any suggestions and tips would be great.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

GWBBQ posted:

I've never heard of it, it's perfect.

It's a fine-grain developer that is supposedly like Microdol-X.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

When shooting black and white film outdoors in daylight, could I use a linear polarizer to sufficiently darken the sky instead of using a yellow filter?

A yellow filter might give you a bit more dramatic effect, but yes, it will work.

Photex posted:

So i'm going to a concert in Boston (KMFDM) and I really want to bring my film camera (Maxxum 5) since I bought a few months ago and have YET to shoot on it. It's pretty much my first film camera and was wondering if anyone else shoots concerts on film anymore and if you do what kind of film would you suggest? I hear the lighting is pretty decent in the venue (Royale) so just any suggestions and tips would be great.

drat, I thought sascha was old 10 years ago, he must be in his 50s now. Get some tri-x and push as needed, it can look pretty decent even up to ISO 3200.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Okay that sounds good, ill get a roll of that and maybe a roll of Fuji pro 400 just to try out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:confuoot:

One Honeywell Heiland Pentax H3 (sticking mirror and stuck second shutter curtain), with Asahi Copal coupled CdS meter (mercury battery included), and Sankyo Kohki Komura 135mm f/2.8. $25 from Goodwill. The body's broken, the meter'll need me to buy another WeinCell, and the lens is excellent on my Spotmatic (very sharp from what I can see through the viewfinder, and has an awesome-looking 12-bladed aperture).

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 14, 2011

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

FasterThanLight posted:

A yellow filter might give you a bit more dramatic effect, but yes, it will work.

Tried it this morning- honestly I think the polarizer works better than my yellow filter.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Augmented Dickey posted:

Tried it this morning- honestly I think the polarizer works better than my yellow filter.

Try combining them. A red filter + a polarizer can turn daytime skies pitch black. You can rotate the polarizer to adjust the intensity.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

atomicthumbs posted:

:confuoot:

One Honeywell Heiland Pentax H3 (sticking mirror and stuck second shutter curtain), with Asahi Copal coupled CdS meter (mercury battery included), and Sankyo Kohki Komura 135mm f/2.8. $25 from Goodwill. The body's broken, the meter'll need me to buy another WeinCell, and the lens is excellent on my Spotmatic (very sharp from what I can see through the viewfinder, and has an awesome-looking 12-bladed aperture).

Not to pee on your parade, but through-the-viewfinder is not a good way to tell sharpness. It's probably 0.75x real size, maybe 0.95x. Even old turn-of-the-century box cameras are just fine at 1.0x magnification (they had to be, the images were contact printed). That doesn't necessarily imply they will stand up under more magnification (like scanning, or printing).

That said, 135mm lenses have been good for a really long time. Because of their long length, there's no need to make them retrofocus. Many are a bit soft wide open, but they were originally sold as portrait lenses so it's working as intended. Like many old lenses, stop down and they'll be fine. Just watch out for flare, at that vintage it may be uncoated or single coated and that will rob all your contrast.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not to pee on your parade, but through-the-viewfinder is not a good way to tell sharpness. It's probably 0.75x real size, maybe 0.95x. Even old turn-of-the-century box cameras are just fine at 1.0x magnification (they had to be, the images were contact printed). That doesn't necessarily imply they will stand up under more magnification (like scanning, or printing).

That said, 135mm lenses have been good for a really long time. Because of their long length, there's no need to make them retrofocus. Many are a bit soft wide open, but they were originally sold as portrait lenses so it's working as intended. Like many old lenses, stop down and they'll be fine. Just watch out for flare, at that vintage it may be uncoated or single coated and that will rob all your contrast.

I found some test shots by people who've stuck this lens on their DSLRs, and they do look pretty sharp (and it does look really nice through the viewfinder). Glad to know about the 135mm quality.

Unrelated: I want this camera.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 15, 2011

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

GWBBQ posted:

I'm going to once again offer a roll of Kodak Technical Pan to anyone who will shoot and develop it. If you want one, let me know and I'll mail it out to you on the 26th.

is it 120? what speed is it? i have a nice bw #29 filter that'll go nicely with it but long exposures are a pain to shoot on my cameras

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

guidoanselmi posted:

is it 120? what speed is it? i have a nice bw #29 filter that'll go nicely with it but long exposures are a pain to shoot on my cameras

technical pan is a document film, so the speed changes depending on the developer you use and the contrast you want, but 25 is normal

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

yeah looks like i'd have fun with it in the desert

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Use a red filter on top of a circular polarizer for the ultimate in black sky madness. If there are puffy clouds in the sky the effect is even more dramatic.

EDIT:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/781746#781746
Old shot but it give an idea how strong the effect is.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
So I've just put a roll through an old crusty Canonet and I'm starting to fall in love with film... and the money that would have gone towards an upgrade of my digital gear is starting to look better and better for getting a nicer film rangefinder instead. I was wondering what my options are? From my cursory investigations, it's sounding like my best bet is a Bessa R2 or R3? The fact that it uses M mount lenses is a little intimidating since I'm not quite sure how many I can get my hands on, but it's much better than tracking down and then forking over the money for a second hand M6. Are there any others I might have missed or anything on the horizon?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Contax G1.

:colbert:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

So I've just put a roll through an old crusty Canonet and I'm starting to fall in love with film... and the money that would have gone towards an upgrade of my digital gear is starting to look better and better for getting a nicer film rangefinder instead. I was wondering what my options are? From my cursory investigations, it's sounding like my best bet is a Bessa R2 or R3? The fact that it uses M mount lenses is a little intimidating since I'm not quite sure how many I can get my hands on, but it's much better than tracking down and then forking over the money for a second hand M6. Are there any others I might have missed or anything on the horizon?

I just used old LTM lenses on cheap adapters when I had my Bessa (sold it to a friend to fund Japan move, hung on to the lenses for my Sony NEX and if I buy another one). M lenses can be spendy, but the LTM glass isn't bad.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
The Bessa family are good cameras. Don't let the m-mount scare you, as I understand it, there are good cheap 39-m mount adapters on eBay. This will open your options considerably. But be warned that some lens won't mount properly, like the 35mm 2.8 Jupiter and some of the collapsible ones too.

Otherwise, if price is an issue, you could just go for a Canon 7, FED or a Zorki.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

My bessa-R was just stolen from me and I am looking to replace it. I will probably get an R2A (debating the longer base and 1:1 of the R3A, though 35mm frames are more my style). Having had an R I would suggest getting an M mount as you can use LTM lenses with an adapter but not the other way around.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Some film pr0n, I'm moving back home so I'm shipping a bunch of cheap film I've been able to pick up in the last few weeks:

50x Rollei Retro (135), 50x Fuji Acros (120), 50x Fomapan 400 (120 and 135) and a box of expired Kodak Ektarchrome.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

No, 35mm.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Just picked up one of these bad boys on Keh:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/16mm.html

16mm Rokkor-X fisheye :dance:

Pretty super excited, haven't seen a shipping confirmation yet though...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

penneydude posted:

How much? I've seen those Russian Zenitar 16mm fisheyes going for rather high prices relative to what they are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

penneydude posted:

I know fish-eye lenses are one-trick ponies but god they look fun.

Meanwhile, what the hell happened here? This was a roll of Fuji 200 EDIT: Oops. It was 400 if that matters. I'd purchased just a few months ago, wasn't dated to expire until like October of 2012. The final shot of the previous roll came out fine (the first shot of this roll was taken right after it) and my next roll was shot around the same time and came out well, so I'm guessing it's not down to the camera. I also had a 2nd roll developed at the same time and it came out well so I'm not sure if the lab hosed it up somehow or if it was just a goofy roll of film right from the start. Any help?

Kinda sad that the first thing that bugged me about this photo was that I didn't get it straight :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 17, 2011

Hot Dog Day #20
May 5, 2004
:|
That looks like the result of some automated touch-up gone horribly wrong. Certainly not analog artifacts of any sort.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, looks like they had the "digital noise/dust reduction" set to warp speed and it hosed everything up :\

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/

this is the best site ever. they have these little canister/holder thingies for film, so you don't have to go rummaging about in your bag for them anymore!!

you can see what i'm talking about here

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

this is the best site ever. they have these little canister/holder thingies for film, so you don't have to go rummaging about in your bag for them anymore!!

Those look like shot shell holders. Check your local gun shop.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

They've got some great books there too, along with some Japan only Fuji developers that I'd like to try sometime.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Japan exposures has a lot of great stuff if you like paying a crazy premium for uniqueness.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Those look like shot shell holders. Check your local gun shop.

I actually use shot shell holders for my 120 film. I switched from cardboard boxes when I started carrying more than 5 rolls of film at once. Voodoo tactial molle pouches from amazon.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This is where I got my Fuji Klasse S from. Brilliant service, he emailed me back and forth and answered all my questions about shipping and such.

Only reason I didn't mention them myself was because they were *my* secret goddammit :v:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

8th-samurai posted:

I actually use shot shell holders for my 120 film. I switched from cardboard boxes when I started carrying more than 5 rolls of film at once. Voodoo tactial molle pouches from amazon.

Just went to fiddle around with some 3 and 3.5" 12 gauge and 120 and they have remarkably the same dimensions. Just a bit bigger on the spool rim is about it.

EDIT: Wonder if they make one for 10 gauge if it would work. Either way nice find.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 18, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ferris Bueller posted:

Just went to fiddle around with some 3 and 3.5" 12 gauge and 120 and they have remarkably the same dimensions. Just a bit bigger on the spool rim is about it.

There is just enough difference that 120 film in it's wrapper doesn't quite fit into the elastic loops in one of these http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Compatible-Shotgun-AmmoPouch/dp/B0027QUJZ6/ref=pd_sim_sg_6. So I cut them out and I can fit 7 rolls in one pouch single stacked and maybe up to 12 if I jam them in there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

along with some Japan only Fuji developers that I'd like to try sometime.

Kodak Japan discontinued HC-110 a few years ago, which I was a little miffed to discover when I got here. I may just order 3 bottles from the States (along with some 120 Acros 100, because it's like half the cost to buy it in America, lmao), which should last me a good while.

Reichstag posted:

Japan exposures has a lot of great stuff if you like paying a crazy premium for uniqueness.

It's definitely not awesome living here off of savings in US dollars, but on the other hand I get my first paycheck (in yen) tomorrow, and I'm already in the mindset of looking back on American sites at how stupidly cheap everything is :kiddo:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So i shot KMFDM last night on my Maxxum 5 with the Tri-X 400, where can I get this poo poo developed? Can I just bring it into a 1 Hour photo like CVS or something and have them develop it or is that not a great idea?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Photex posted:

So i shot KMFDM last night on my Maxxum 5 with the Tri-X 400, where can I get this poo poo developed? Can I just bring it into a 1 Hour photo like CVS or something and have them develop it or is that not a great idea?

Places like that will develop B&W film but as i understand it they'll almost always put it on color paper, so the whole thing is more grayscale. If you like that look then hey :toot:, but I think for full B&W development you either do it yourself or send it out to a lab.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Photex posted:

No sir, as far as I know there aren't any 1-hour photo places that do true black and white film. See if there are any dedicated photo labs, or some of the other guys here can point you to a place that you ship your film off to have it processed.

edit-- well maybe I'm wrong. I thought those 1-hour labs could only do C-41 processing.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 18, 2011

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

most of the private labs i've seen in the area only do C-41 too :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

DJExile posted:

do it yourself

:colbert: