Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do they still only sell Extra-S in the 20L drums?

Yes, but most dealerships will pump some out for you if you bring your own container, at least the cool ones do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Just got back from getting my car aligned. Dealership hooked me up with a free "what the gently caress is wrong with your car now" inspection. I had them look at why the car is screaming on decel.

"Customer states that whenever decelerating there is a whirring. Please test drive and advise."

"Technician could hear noise coming from the rear differential assembly. Would need to get into the differential in order to see if there is a component that has failed."

gently caress.

I have the worst luck ever. Time to hunt for a 4.44 rear end, hopefully another LSD one.

doogle
May 24, 2003

My '02 wrx wagon has a sticky driver's front caliper, should I buy a rebuild kit and go for it or buy a reman from the various auto parts stores?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

syphon posted:

I'm reasonably sure I already have the v2 flaps. What makes you think I have v1, and what improved with v2?

You're rubbing against them which almost certainly means that they're the V1.

The V2 are cut so they only really extended outside of the wheel well whereas the V1 protrude into the wheel well which causes them to rub on higher than stock offsets/widths/height wheels/tires. The front are the worst offenders in my experience.

V2 image attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do they still only sell Extra-S in the 20L drums?

Fred Beans Parts actually will sell it to you by the quart which is how I went about doing it.

For the price though, I really should have just bought the 5 gallon drum since both the cars will use the stuff.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-75w90-extra-s-gear-and-transmission-quart-bottle.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, that seems a bit steep to buy and ship. Plus, I'd be surprised if they shipped it internationally (Chaplin's doesn't).

I'll look into it further, though. Thanks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

doogle posted:

My '02 wrx wagon has a sticky driver's front caliper, should I buy a rebuild kit and go for it or buy a reman from the various auto parts stores?

get a rebuild kit, which comes with new boots for the slide pins, then get some fine grit sandpaper and caliper grease. clean off any nicks or imperfections and then put them back together with new boots and grease.

ssswitch i'll see what I can do about sending you some gear oil

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

ssswitch i'll see what I can do about sending you some gear oil
I'm pretty sure Chaplin's doesn't do it because it may be heinously illegal, but please let me know. :)

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

allonblack posted:

You're rubbing against them which almost certainly means that they're the V1.

The V2 are cut so they only really extended outside of the wheel well whereas the V1 protrude into the wheel well which causes them to rub on higher than stock offsets/widths/height wheels/tires. The front are the worst offenders in my experience.

V2 image attached.

Awesome. I thought I had the V2, but they don't look like your attached image, so I guess that's a pretty easy (if expensive) fix!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

cut that section out of the mudflaps you already have?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yep, that's my plan so far.

Like I said though, this is all going off of the assumption that the tires are rubbing the flaps. I've seen posts on NASIOC where people with my exact car are running the same wheel/tire size, so I'm hoping it's the flaps that are causing my problems. I'll find out for sure tonight.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

jamal posted:

cut that section out of the mudflaps you already have?

Not certain that you can due to the way that the V1's mount.

I would recommend just selling your V1's which you should be able to get a decent amount for and buy the V2's. In addition to not rubbing, they have a much better mounting system.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

allonblack posted:

I would recommend just selling your V1's which you should be able to get a decent amount for and buy the V2's. In addition to not rubbing, they have a much better mounting system.

Or just get rid of those hideous "mud flaps" outright.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009

allonblack posted:

I would not recommend an amp on the stock speakers. Replacing the head unit brought a lot better sound into the car for me, however shortly there after I replaced the speakers as well.

I replaced all of mine with http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651--6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301937452&sr=1-4 though I want to go with a component in front. The sound is much better, but having replaced the head unit first I'm not certain how they'd match up with the stock HU.

Yup.

Amandyke posted:

Might I suggest Elemental Design speakers: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_23_127&products_id=49
What head unit would you guys suggest? I don't really care about in-dash navigation or some Xzibit dvd player stuff, just as long as it would take the auxillary/usb inputs.

I'm really diggin those Elementals. What else would I need to completely replace the system? Should I buy the amplifier they recommend on their website?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Catsoup posted:

What head unit would you guys suggest? I don't really care about in-dash navigation or some Xzibit dvd player stuff, just as long as it would take the auxillary/usb inputs.

I'm really diggin those Elementals. What else would I need to completely replace the system? Should I buy the amplifier they recommend on their website?

Any modern head unit should be fine though I'd stick to the big brands (I can't substantiate this it's just a preference (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine)). I have a Kenwood DDX514 that I got on clearance from BestBuy for 250 bucks. It is one of the setups where you can add each component (Bluetooth, NAV, Satellite, etc...) individually instead of paying 1200 bucks for a deck with everything built in that you don't necessarily care about. I think all of the companies have similar offerings.

Those elementals are beautiful and I'm thinking of getting them myself. As far as amps are concerned there's a lot of options. Personally I'm picking up the Alpine PDX5 which allows for all four speakers to be powered in addition to a sub if/when I add one (5 for 5 channels). I've heard good things about it.

There's always the audio thread that someone pointed out as well if you want some actual educated opinions ;), I have personal preferences from what I've liked over the years, I am by no means an expert. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2233053

Amandyke posted:

Or just get rid of those hideous "mud flaps" outright.

That's enough out of you! :argh:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

420 poo poo up the subaru thread every day.

So the driveline whirring I'm getting the dealer said it was the rear diff. After think tanking it with some local club members, and how the trans/diff were fine when pulled, we're thinking maybe it has to do with the driveline angle. The box and diff are FXT units, and the cross members and sub frames are different. I might be able to do some shimming and get things all fixed. Tonight I plan to spend a lot of time on the various subaru message boards later tonight and see if I can figure this out. I might also be able to source an open 4.44 diff to rule out this current diff.

In other news, getting some compomotive rims and used gravel tires this week hopefully!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

allonblack posted:

The tires get SOOOO close to the fender liner, but it was only the mud flaps that they were rubbing against. We cut them a little more aggressively and they don't rub anymore, so I'm in the clear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

allonblack posted:

That's enough out of you! :argh:

Mudflaps are fine, but if you really want to keep mud off your body panels, you have to get ones that stick out way more than the basic aftermarket ones. Like rally ugly looking ones.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I need a little advice. I'm looking at an '05 Forester at my local dealer with about 150,000 miles for five grand, and I've come to the realization that since I know dick about Subarus, I can't tell whether or not the car is worth buying. How many miles is too many on a Subaru? How hard are they to maintain? Are they particularly expensive to maintain? Anything I should know/look out for?

darkcaps
Sep 20, 2006
Just bought myself an 08 STi. What is the first thing I should do?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hks blow off valve.

but seriously downpipe, tune, rear swaybar.

Slow is Fast posted:

420 poo poo up the subaru thread every day.

So the driveline whirring I'm getting the dealer said it was the rear diff. After think tanking it with some local club members, and how the trans/diff were fine when pulled, we're thinking maybe it has to do with the driveline angle. The box and diff are FXT units, and the cross members and sub frames are different. I might be able to do some shimming and get things all fixed. Tonight I plan to spend a lot of time on the various subaru message boards later tonight and see if I can figure this out. I might also be able to source an open 4.44 diff to rule out this current diff.

In other news, getting some compomotive rims and used gravel tires this week hopefully!

no that's not the problem. forester just uses some spacers between the subframes and body.

you put gear oil in it right?

I have a pitch stop, trans crossmember bushings, subframe lock bolts, and outrigger bushings and I get pretty noticable gear noise in 1st/2nd and growling from the rear diff under decel. might just be normal. or any one of the many bearings in the trans and diff, or lash out of adjustment or a damaged gear tooth...

drive the car on a lift with one of those stethoscope listening things. It's how we track down drivetrain noises and bad wheel bearings. A bunch of people guessing on the internet probably won't get you very far.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 6, 2011

darkcaps
Sep 20, 2006

jamal posted:

hks blow off valve.

but seriously downpipe, tune, rear swaybar.

Sorry I'm nub to this.

Pro tune or COBB access port tune? Is it safe just to use the AP without a pro tune?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

darkcaps posted:

Sorry I'm nub to this.

Pro tune or COBB access port tune? Is it safe just to use the AP without a pro tune?

You'll get better results with a pro tune. Either going the AP route or open source.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Holy gently caress!

Chopped? Or is the angle just weird.

*Edit, yea the roof is chopped.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

darkcaps posted:

Is it safe just to use the AP without a pro tune?

Yes, of course.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

darkcaps posted:

Sorry I'm nub to this.

You can get a OpenPort 2.0 for $200 and flash it yourself to a free map and then tweak. You'll also need a wideband O2 sensor, though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

c355n4 posted:

Holy gently caress!

Chopped? Or is the angle just weird.

*Edit, yea the roof is chopped.

their new sequential box and the down- and rear-ward relocated drivetrain are what really impress me about that car.

Kind of glad they didn't make it out to race us last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6rYNPxrIk

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 6, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

their new sequential box and the down- and rear-ward relocated drivetrain are what really impress me about that car.

Kind of glad they didn't make it out to race us last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6rYNPxrIk

That thing needs a 7th gear...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

darkcaps posted:

Just bought myself an 08 STi. What is the first thing I should do?

Being utterly serious - Driver Training and find out just how much you can get out of it stock. It's literally the best thing anyone can do

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Cat Terrist posted:

Being utterly serious - Driver Training and find out just how much you can get out of it stock. It's literally the best thing anyone can do

First thing to do on those 08's is to get off that *terrible* stock tune. At least go stage one cobb. You'll see respectable power gains, your power band wont look like a roller coaster, and you'll be less likely to crack ring lands.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

A stage 1 off the shelf map from Cobb should be more than fine. Honestly my down pipe and pro tune didn't add all that much to the power band, (as opposed to a stage 1 OTS flash) but I sleep better at night knowing my AFR is significantly better than stock.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 6, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Subaru has released a teaser shot of the new Impreza.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/06/2012-subaru-impreza-teaser/

I guess it looks better than the base Impreza now. It doesn't look anywhere near as neat as the concept (as to be expected).

We'll see what the hatch and what other angles look like. Again though, the WRX and STI are expected to stay on the current design for another year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

36mpg is a pretty big loving deal for an entry level commuter car, especially one with AWD. Probably going to be slow as balls, though.

quote:

The fourth-generation Impreza, which goes on sale later this year in the U.S. as a 2012 model, is expected to feature Subaru's new-generation four-cylinder boxer engine, which will be offered in displacements of 2.0 and 2.5 liters. Subaru said output on the 2.0 engine remains the same, at 146 horsepower, while torque climbs from 141 to 145 pound-feet.

Oh well, the more of those they sell, the better they can make the WRX.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It remains to be seen what engine they offer in the US. We don't get the current 2.0 or 1.8 now.

This post on NASIOC really shows how much better the new one looks.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33782089&postcount=90

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

It remains to be seen what engine they offer in the US. We don't get the current 2.0 or 1.8 now.

This post on NASIOC really shows how much better the new one looks.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33782089&postcount=90

I kinda doubt they'd tell us 36MPG highway and then not bring the car over.

I agree on it looking better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CharlesM posted:

I kinda doubt they'd tell us 36MPG highway and then not bring the car over.

I agree on it looking better.

Yes, but we don't know what engine the 36 MPG estimate is attached to yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
* Manufacturer estimated fuel economy for 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i CVT 36 highway. Comparison based upon EPA estimated highway fuel economy for all 2011 AWD vehicles. Actual mileage may vary.

I guess that could be the diesel...

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 7, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ah, drat you small print!

We should be getting the diesel, but I don't think it will come in the first year.

Well, we could look at it this way. The CVT with 146 HP may actually be quicker (or at least feel quicker) than the current engine with the drat 4 speed auto.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm hoping for a six-speed manual across the board, a little bit nicer interior, and trim packages that make senshahahahahah no it's Subaru of course that one won't happen.

edit: you guys really think the diesel is coming in this generation? I don't think it's going to happen.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's a generational side by side.