Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

My wrestling question is how the gently caress does that work

Please tell me that's for Jeff Hardy, because I like to believe after his house burned down and he rebuilt, his first thought was "I need a giant fuckin' fire-spewing volcano in my yard!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Did he also get Shane high and that lead to when Raven returned to WWE Vince screaming Who the gently caress hired Raven?

Yep, but according to Raven in the various shoots he's done he was winning him over towards the end of his run and they considered hiring him for creative after he pitched them his Seven deadly sins storyline to which Stephanie responded "It's great, but I don't know what we'd do with you after it finished" ( Which probably translates to "We'd do it, just not with you")

After much debating and twisting of arms the WWE allowed Raven to do a neutered version of the story on heat. After a few weeks the ratings for Heat went up and when Raven excitedly asked if that meant he could move the plot onto RAW they said no and told Raven that the reason the ratings went up for Heat was because Lita started doing the announcing for the show.

Raven and the WWE split ways soon after.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burrito posted:

Please tell me that's for Jeff Hardy, because I like to believe after his house burned down and he rebuilt, his first thought was "I need a giant fuckin' fire-spewing volcano in my yard!"
It is, but can you blame him? If you had the opportunity to put a giant volcano for you to race on in your front yard, you would too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

It is, but can you blame him? If you had the opportunity to put a giant volcano for you to race on in your front yard, you would too.

Not if my last house burned down and killed my dog!

Unless... he hated that dog...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burrito posted:

He always seemed rather fond of Lita to me. :huh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Burrito posted:

I don't know about his dog, but there was definitely a lot of stuff in that house he wanted to burn. :350:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
When Shawn's back went out in 98, HBK had a match against one of his students, or maybe a pro who changed his name, who was that against? The fed was TWA I believe but everything I look for leads to the academy only.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

CortezFantastic posted:

When Shawn's back went out in 98, HBK had a match against one of his students, or maybe a pro who changed his name, who was that against? The fed was TWA I believe but everything I look for leads to the academy only.

It was Paul Diamond who also had a hand in running the acadaemy with HBK and worked as Kato and Max Moon in the WWF

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

LightsGameraAction posted:

Shane is his son who was practically murdered in a match because he let him wrestle.

He similarly doesn't seem very protective of Stephanie on the average.

Don't get me wrong, behind all the weird-rear end Mr. McMahon-ness of his personality he's probably a really good dad. It's just weird thinking of all the insane poo poo he's done and he's let his kids do but a wrestler doing drugs with his son enraged him so much, especially considering that a year or two later he wanted to do an incest story with Stephanie over her IRL baby.

It's one of the only points in history he let his actual dad side come out and it's cute but so very out of character for him at the time.

If anyone doubts that Vince McMahon is a good father, they need to remember that he murdered Dracula for his son.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

TL posted:

If anyone doubts that Vince McMahon is a good father, they need to remember that he murdered Dracula for his son.

"What is a McMahon?! A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

TL posted:

Yeah this story is seriously the most "awww.." thing I've ever read.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LightsGameraAction posted:

Shane is his son who was practically murdered in a match because he let him wrestle.

He similarly doesn't seem very protective of Stephanie on the average.

Don't get me wrong, behind all the weird-rear end Mr. McMahon-ness of his personality he's probably a really good dad. It's just weird thinking of all the insane poo poo he's done and he's let his kids do but a wrestler doing drugs with his son enraged him so much, especially considering that a year or two later he wanted to do an incest story with Stephanie over her IRL baby.

It's one of the only points in history he let his actual dad side come out and it's cute but so very out of character for him at the time.
Vince got rid of Raven in the 90's, far before Steph had kids. The last time Raven left he quit. He may have even quit the first time. I don't know. But the Shane/Drugs thing happened during the Johnny Polo days when Raven was working in the Stamford offices in the archives. It's in one of his RF shoots.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CVagts posted:

Honestly this doesn't surprise me that much because I'm sure Triple H loves the business a hell of a lot more than Steph, so business-wise it makes sense for Vince to keep him around.

I'm sure he probably loves his wife who he had kids with quite a bit!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Okay, let me rephrase the question: What if Hunter started his own promotion? I can't shake the feeling that it would actually be really really good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Okay, let me rephrase the question: What if Hunter started his own promotion? I can't shake the feeling that it would actually be really really good.

If he's not wrestling in it, I would agree with you. Otherwise, here comes the shovel!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Saw some questions without good answers, so figured I'd chime in.

LividLiquid posted:

Vince got rid of Raven in the 90's, far before Steph had kids. The last time Raven left he quit. He may have even quit the first time. I don't know. But the Shane/Drugs thing happened during the Johnny Polo days when Raven was working in the Stamford offices in the archives. It's in one of his RF shoots.

Raven quit in the 90s, he wasn't fired. He wanted to do the Raven gimmick but they didn't see him as a main event guy (or even a wrestler, only had a handful of matches there). His full-time gig was as a producer and, according to Raven, Shane expected that he would get the company in a few years and they both would run it in a Vince/Patterson relationship. Raven wanted to wrestle, so he quit and put out contacts to Jim Cornette (Smokey Mountain Wrestling) and Paul Heyman (ECW). Heyman was the first to set him up with bookings so he went to ECW. Vince wasn't happy with the decision and couldn't understand why he wanted to quit the producer job to wrestle. He didn't like Raven and Shane partying, but Shane partied with the wrestlers anyway so it was kind of a wash. Shane and Raven never kept contact and weren't friends after. Vince's "who hired Raven" was more because of how Raven left the company and not seeing him as a star or having drawn anywhere. Raven's said he doesn't think Vince even realized he was in WCW and thought he wrestled in the ECW Arena for five years straight.

MassRayPer posted:

Vince has been quoted as saying he would hate it if they got divorced since he'd really miss Stephanie.

No, he hasn't. That's a joke that either Bryan Alvarez or Scott Keith made and caught on.

CVagts posted:

Was flipping through Terry Funk's autobio last night, and he paints Lou Thesz in a pretty negative light as a world champion, saying that if Lou had to face a guy in a territory that he didn't like or think was a legit talent, he'd stiff them in the ring (which he could do with his skills) and basically kill off that guy's drawing power.

It's one of those things that has to be looked at while taking account his time period. The NWA champion had to be able to defend his title in a shoot and draw, in that order. Thesz didn't like guys who couldn't shoot and would sometimes go out of his way to embarrass them. However, the promoters were fine with it because they didn't have to worry about another promoter screwing Thesz out of the title.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DannoMack posted:

My theory is that HHH is a lot like Dusty Rhodes; he's a good booker as long as he's not also an active wrestler.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Seeing a Ghana World Cup game made me think of this. Name some wrestlers that got over with an ethnic gimmick, without being that ethnicity. I can think of Kofi and Yokozuna, but any more?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Seeing a Ghana World Cup game made me think of this. Name some wrestlers that got over with an ethnic gimmick, without being that ethnicity. I can think of Kofi and Yokozuna, but any more?

Akeem the African Dream and Muhammad Hassan come immediately to mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Santino?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Roddy Piper.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Kerwin White

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nikita Koloff

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Hulk Hogan

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Razor Ramon.

Nikolai Volkoff.

Krusher Kruschev.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 23, 2010

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Armando Estrada

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Kamala

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Muhammad Hassan is the one that springs to mind.

I'm a dumbass who didn't notice DM Punk's post. Welp.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 23, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Endorph posted:

Santino?
I'm curious. Does Santino count?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well that must be all of them because were getting repeats already...

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I'm curious. Does Santino count?

Well his gimmick is full blown Italian, but not Canadian-Italian. Same can be said for Roddy Piper.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Kwang was over for a while. He was the secret character in the Genesis version of RAW.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Elix Skipper in Team Canada.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Muhammad Hassan is the one that springs to mind.

I'm a dumbass who didn't notice DM Punk's post. Welp.

I sure hope you mean Karmine :goleft:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I sure hope you mean Karmine :goleft:

Dear lord. Sorry Karmine.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
How about the Iron Sheik?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Papa Shango

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The Calgary Kid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Undertaker isn't from Death Valley, but rather from Houston, Texas. And The Ultimate Warrior is from Parts Known, specifically Crawfordsville, Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I'd imagine a ton of old school wrestlers would fall under this.

Fritz Von Erich being at the top of the list.