Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So Cooler Master is going to start shipping a board with electro-capacitive switches (aka Topre style) in July. Unknown whether the switches are actually made by Topre -- CM says they will use cherry stems which normal Topre does not.

Poultron posted:

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new mechanical.
My budget is about $100-150, I'd rather not push it farther than that
The Das is pretty much the most feature-full non-backlit board around, so if you're ok going over your budget I doubt you'll be unhappy.

Besides the Das, you might consider a WASD v2 -- it doesn't have dedicated media keys like the das but their function+ins method is pretty great. If you like the idea of bi-color custom keycaps or custom lasering they're the place to go.

Aside from that, the most frequent go-to in non backlit starter mechanicals would be the costar made options from rosewill or cooler master XT (note that second one is in browns, amazon & newegg are out of stock with blue switches atm). A ducky would also be fine, but you can't get them from amazon or newegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Wasabi the J posted:

Get a FC660C for a 60% Topre board. Save some money and get the same thing but with the added bonus of arrow keys.

Yeah, do this. I'm trying to sell my FC660C. I bought it as my first mech keyboard only to find out I still really like my flat apple wireless board more. Only used it 1 week then I reboxed it. $170! Ships from Canada...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Opioid posted:

Yeah, do this. I'm trying to sell my FC660C. I bought it as my first mech keyboard only to find out I still really like my flat apple wireless board more. Only used it 1 week then I reboxed it. $170! Ships from Canada...

Yours is that new one with the awesome grey keys right?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Wasabi the J posted:

Nope, I went with one straight from S Korea instead of getting elitekeyboards' custom setup. Black keys. Imgur album here:

http://m.imgur.com/a/fkbZ0

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

That's me! Still loving mine.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Wasabi the J posted:

I swear by this stuff for every switch or electronic you might gunk up.

I cleaned up a soda covered CM Storm with it; I de-hosed the window and lock switches in my car with it.

It's the poo poo.

thanks i just ordered some. any tips on how to clean the switches with it? im worried about it itself shorting them.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

taels posted:

thanks i just ordered some. any tips on how to clean the switches with it? im worried about it itself shorting them.

Contact cleaner is made for exactly this kind of thing so don't worry about it. Take off the key cap, press the key stem down, spray a small amount into the switch, and press the key a few times to work it around. If it's really dirty it may take more than one application.

Contact cleaner is great stuff whenever you have any kind of switch that isn't working quite right, and a small can lasts for ages.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My girlfriend keeps stealing my Filco Majestouch Ninja II to play TF2 so I need to buy her a cherry MX keyboard. She really likes my blues, but I wanna get her a sample kit before she makes a big purchase. Anybody know what's the best MX sample pack to buy right now? I'd also like to personally try the MX greens and whites if such a kit exists.

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
You'll probably be wanting the CM Storm switch tester, it's got the 4 standard switches (Red, Black, Brown, Blue) as well as Green and Clear switches. If you buy that one then you'll also get 15$ off a CM Storm keyboard of your choice.

If you want one with whites then the QWERkeys tester comes with them as well.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
any thoughts on the new DAS Keyboard black out edition?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Opioid posted:

Will you ship it to Poland?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
The OP is fairly old, is it still up to date?

My gaming keyboard (a G15) is starting to fail and I'd like to replace it. I game on it and do some coding, but to be honest I've never used the LCD screen or any of the additional macro keys. I don't MMO very much.

I'd like something that looks a bit nicer and is easier to keep clean. The various keys are starting to lose their backlighting since it's 4 years old at this point. I don't care about mechanical so much, but I do hate laptop keyboards.

The only real additional thing I'd like from it is a way to control media (volume up, down, mute).

I've been considering WASD keyboards but they are so expensive.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You should check out Corsair. They make gaming keyboards, mechanical and membrane, that have open edges around the keys which makes for easy cleaning. Every model has volume controls and usually a few other media keys.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
They look pretty great, thanks for the tip. By the way, the keys on the WASD keyboards look like they're made out of a strange material, are they? Or is that just the pictures I'm seeing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SquadronROE posted:

They look pretty great, thanks for the tip. By the way, the keys on the WASD keyboards look like they're made out of a strange material, are they? Or is that just the pictures I'm seeing?
Nope, just normal ABS plastic. They just have really nice photography for their website gallery. WASD are good but for a first mech keyboard you can get cheaper options, unless you want a keyboard with custom colors or lasering.

And yes, the OP is horribly out of date. The corsair boards are good, if keeping it clean is a big feature for you they're really good for that.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

A bit of a long shot but does anyone in here know if you can get one of those little switch tester boards in Australia anywhere?

I'm pretty sure I want a K70 with the MX Browns but would really like to give the different switches a try before I put my money down.

(I'm also upgrading from a first gen G15, my LEDs are starting to get a bit flickery but otherwise it still goes perfect)

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

VodeAndreas posted:

A bit of a long shot but does anyone in here know if you can get one of those little switch tester boards in Australia anywhere?

I'm pretty sure I want a K70 with the MX Browns but would really like to give the different switches a try before I put my money down.

(I'm also upgrading from a first gen G15, my LEDs are starting to get a bit flickery but otherwise it still goes perfect)

MechKB is based in Australia and sells a sampler (blue, brown, red, black) for 6.00, which is on sale for 4.50 right now

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Exactly what I was after, thanks!

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
Normally I would just search the thread for this type of thing, but search is still down. My Apple keyboard is dying, and I was hoping to get a recommendation for a decent replacement. It doesn't HAVE to be OS X compatible, as I'm just using my old Apple keyboard with a newer Windows PC I built a couple months ago.

I'm looking for a chiclet keyboard that isn't going to run me more than $50. I'm willing to go over that price point if it's REALLY worth it. Has anybody had any particularly good experiences with any keyboards that meet that criteria?

I was looking at the Rosewill Slim and the AmazonBasics keyboard, but I can't find too much info on the former.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

BearJazz posted:

Normally I would just search the thread for this type of thing, but search is still down. My Apple keyboard is dying, and I was hoping to get a recommendation for a decent replacement. It doesn't HAVE to be OS X compatible, as I'm just using my old Apple keyboard with a newer Windows PC I built a couple months ago.

I'm looking for a chiclet keyboard that isn't going to run me more than $50. I'm willing to go over that price point if it's REALLY worth it. Has anybody had any particularly good experiences with any keyboards that meet that criteria?

I was looking at the Rosewill Slim and the AmazonBasics keyboard, but I can't find too much info on the former.
(assuming you enjoyed your Apple keyboard and cost is the only thing stopping you from buying another)

The key to getting a satisfying chiclet keyboard is making sure it doesn't have mushy (membrane) switches. Both of those keyboards use membrane switches, so they aren't going to fully replace your old keyboard.

Your Apple keyboard uses scissor switches, same as chiclet Logitech/MS/Lenovo/etc keyboards. I can't personally vouch for budget scissor-switch keyboards (big-name ones cost more but have better warranties), but there are options. If you're OK with a wired connection and standard layout rather than more ergonomic options, you can find ones under $50 easily.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Ok so i tried that contact cleaner on my filco.

nadda. anyone have more reccomendations for clickless-sticky MX blue repair?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

taels posted:

Ok so i tried that contact cleaner on my filco.

nadda. anyone have more reccomendations for clickless-sticky MX blue repair?

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can just replace the bad switches.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Hmm, Best Buy has the Logitech K830 for $80 instead of $100 this week. Think I'm going to have to pick one up to see if the trackpad on it is an upgrade over the abomination on the K400.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GokieKS posted:

Hmm, Best Buy has the Logitech K830 for $80 instead of $100 this week. Think I'm going to have to pick one up to see if the trackpad on it is an upgrade over the abomination on the K400.

The K400 trackpad actually isn't that bad - one thing to check is whether you have a strong signal. Even when the keyboard itself is working fine the trackpad gets sticky and unresponsive if you don't have direct line of sight to the little receiver.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BearJazz posted:

I'm using a Logitech K750r at work, wireless, solar powered, scissor switches - check your local pricing on that.

Word of warning though it has a shiny plastic finish which is a complete fingerprint magnet.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.

dissss posted:

I'm using a Logitech K750r at work, wireless, solar powered, scissor switches - check your local pricing on that.

Word of warning though it has a shiny plastic finish which is a complete fingerprint magnet.

Sounds perfect. Thanks!

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

dissss posted:

The K400 trackpad actually isn't that bad - one thing to check is whether you have a strong signal. Even when the keyboard itself is working fine the trackpad gets sticky and unresponsive if you don't have direct line of sight to the little receiver.

This is the n-th time it's come up, but yes, the K400's trackpad *is* that bad. It's neither precise nor responsive even when I'm literally right next to the PC that the receiver is plugged into, and I'm not even judging it by Apple MacBook trackpad standards - it's notably worse than every Dell Precision / HP EliteBook / Lenovo ThinkPad trackpad I've used over the last 5 years.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

GokieKS posted:

This is the n-th time it's come up, but yes, the K400's trackpad *is* that bad. It's neither precise nor responsive even when I'm literally right next to the PC that the receiver is plugged into, and I'm not even judging it by Apple MacBook trackpad standards - it's notably worse than every Dell Precision / HP EliteBook / Lenovo ThinkPad trackpad I've used over the last 5 years.

Might not the problem, but still worth checking: are you using USB 3.0 ports? If so, there's a known issue with USB 3.0 where it can cause interference with wireless signals.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GokieKS posted:

Maybe you just have a bad k400. I have no real complaints about the trackpad on mine, aside from there being no way to middle-click. It definitely outshines the mushy, slightly undersized keyboard on the device. I'd even say it's more responsive than the one on my thinkpad x220 (which isn't really saying a whole lot, to be honest).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Poultron posted:

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new mechanical. I'm looking for a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard for the purpose of primarily gaming, but I also do a lot of typing on the side (I write stuff). I've had a Brown switch keyboard before and I am not interested in that. I am also not particularly interested in backlights and the like, but I don't mind them if they happen to come on a nice keyboard.

Klyith posted:

Besides the Das, you might consider a WASD v2 -- it doesn't have dedicated media keys like the das but their function+ins method is pretty great. If you like the idea of bi-color custom keycaps or custom lasering they're the place to go.

I went from a Logitech G710+ (brown switches) to a WASD Model V2 with blue switches and red o-rings and couldn't be happier. I use it for general computing, gaming and lots of typing and I think it's a fantastic upgrade from browns. Plus like Klyith already said, you can customize it with some nice presets.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

Maybe you just have a bad k400. I have no real complaints about the trackpad on mine, aside from there being no way to middle-click. It definitely outshines the mushy, slightly undersized keyboard on the device. I'd even say it's more responsive than the one on my thinkpad x220 (which isn't really saying a whole lot, to be honest).

:respek:

It's not that bad, seriously. And I use(d) a Macbook at work. I mean, it's not nearly as good, can't lie there, but it is nearly as usable, if quite a bit smaller.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KakerMix posted:

I went from a Logitech G710+ (brown switches) to a WASD Model V2 with blue switches and red o-rings and couldn't be happier. I use it for general computing, gaming and lots of typing and I think it's a fantastic upgrade from browns. Plus like Klyith already said, you can customize it with some nice presets.

Ugh, that is sexy as hell. I am going to end up buying a $150 keyboard :\

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, that is sexy as hell. I am going to end up buying a $150 keyboard :\

or you could buy a $100 keyboard.

then buy $50 for some of the more rare switches.

then $60 for good custom keycaps.

then probably a fancy cable then custom titanium case then another keyboard and oh god where is my money?

sent from my $200 keyboard

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

Nondescript Van posted:

or you could buy a $100 keyboard.

then buy $50 for some of the more rare switches.

then $60 for good custom keycaps.

then probably a fancy cable then custom titanium case then another keyboard and oh god where is my money?

sent from my $200 keyboard

I want to say that I've forgotten how much my keyboard set me back

but I know that it's probably been about 300 bucks so far, not even joking

Keyboard went for about a hundred, the aftermarket aluminum casing went for about the same, and I think I have 90 bucks' worth of custom keycaps in the pipe

oh and I blew a few pounds on a custom cable too soooo

I loving love it, though, so I'm not exactly regretting anything.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Rexxed posted:

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can just replace the bad switches.

Yea and I have for others, but I'm REALLY trying to avoid it.

On a plus note it gives me an excuse for a new case. I bought my filco for like 135$ b/c all the guys importing it had in stock was the multicam finish and even I roll my eyes at it when I sit down

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Had to use a regular Dell keyboard today and holy poo poo I never realized how awful those things are until I got used to a mechanical keyboard. The keys are so...mushy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Had to use a regular Dell keyboard today and holy poo poo I never realized how awful those things are until I got used to a mechanical keyboard. The keys are so...mushy.
If you think Dells are bad, you should try any keyboard that comes with an HP or similar cheap computer these days. Dells are usually pretty nice as far as rubber domes go.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

You should come down to my place of work. Both the front desk's keyboards are a mushy mess and the numpad is actually slower to use than the main number row because of how worn out the domes are. And that's not me being spoiled by mechanical keys, but actually true and confirmed by people who don't even know what a mechanical key is.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geemer posted:

You should come down to my place of work. Both the front desk's keyboards are a mushy mess and the numpad is actually slower to use than the main number row because of how worn out the domes are. And that's not me being spoiled by mechanical keys, but actually true and confirmed by people who don't even know what a mechanical key is.

There are literally dozens of brand new ps/2 and usb keyboards at my local goodwill, in box, for 99 cents apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

There are literally dozens of brand new ps/2 and usb keyboards at my local goodwill, in box, for 99 cents apiece.

Oh, yeah. Same here. But they won't be replaced until they really break and since my job isn't at the front desk, I really can't be bothered. Especially since I wouldn't get any gratitude for it anyway, or even my money back.

• Locked thread