Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Heliotrope posted:

Ahahaha what are you serious? Do you mean like extra updates or something like that?

Thunt posted:

So go vote at the Goblins vs OotS battle! We have defeated Romantically Apocalyptic, and so as promised, I will answer the question that I’ve refused to answer for years…

“Can Minmax see out of his damaged, right eye?” The answer is yes. He suffers no penalty or impaired vision from the scar. Think about it, he complained about how the scar makes him look, but he has never complained about any kind of vision penalty. A minmaxer like him would definitely complain about a penalty to any of his abilities.

So if we beat Order Of The Stick, I’ll post all of the Shield of Wonder’s random effects (*). Let me also take this moment to say that Order Of The Stick is nothing short of brilliant. In my opinion, it’s much funnier than Goblins. The timing of the jokes are astounding. I still laugh at “bluff the stupid ogre”. If you haven’t read OotS yet, go do so now

Mostly trivia as far as I can tell, and he's been recommending the competition.

I dunno, I don't really hate him like some, but I don't really see him as a really bad guy in this specific instance. He may have done other stuff before, I haven't really followed him.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Zore posted:

Mostly trivia as far as I can tell, and he's been recommending the competition.

I dunno, I don't really hate him like some, but I don't really see him as a really bad guy in this specific instance. He may have done other stuff before, I haven't really followed him.

The * leads to

quote:

EDIT: (*) You know what? The more I think about it, the more I feel like a jerk face for offering you stuff to get you to vote. I’ll post the Shield of Wonder info and the map whether Goblins wins or not. Just give me enough time to get those things in order.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Thunt posted:

I’ll post all of the Shield of Wonder’s random effects

Sounds like you should switch to Goblins, Tubgirl Cosplay.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've always thought Goblins was a pretty decent webcomic. Not good enough to deserve to beat Gunnerkrigg of course, but not worth all the hate it's been getting here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Cool, I voted for GC. Mostly because Tom could use the publicity more than Hussie.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The fact that Goblions even managed to get this far is a slap in the face to (almost) every other comic in the list

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court (50%, 10,917 Votes)
MS Paint Adventures/Homestuck (50%, 10,860 Votes)

If you have not voted in this horrible contest, please do so, because Tom will get $100 if GKC wins. It's not a lot, but Tom should be given as many of the dollars as possible.

But he's British! British people can't use AMERICAN dollars!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Fister Roboto posted:

He can use them to buy American hamburgers on the Hamburger Exchange!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

I've always thought Goblins was a pretty decent webcomic. Not good enough to deserve to beat Gunnerkrigg of course, but not worth all the hate it's been getting here.

I can't speak to the writing, mostly because the first time I tried to read it the art repulsed me. I also don't much care for the serious storytelling in D&D packaging. (I think I remember someone bleeding out while negative numbers appear over their head)

But really, the comics been around for awhile, why does everyone still look like lumpy clay.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2012

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm sure the Goblins writer is a great person in real life, and his comic is... well, pretty bad, but it isn't as terrible as a lot of the competition. And who can blame him for wanting to publicise his work? On the other hand, he's going against Gunnerkrigg, therefore he's a hideous clay motherfucker and he's going to get owned

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fister Roboto posted:

Of course not. They use dollours

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Thunt is a lot like Rob Liefeld in that he's a nice guy, he just makes unbelievably lovely poo poo. But I don't know, I find it hard to begrudge people who manage to make a living from their comics.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hussie only said GC was more deserving than Penny Arcade, a few weeks back. He never said to vote for it over MSPA.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Broniki posted:

Thunt is a lot like Rob Liefeld in that he's a nice guy, he just makes unbelievably lovely poo poo. But I don't know, I find it hard to begrudge people who manage to make a living from their comics.
Yeah, I don't begrudge Thunt for being able to make a living off of his comic, either. I do, however, think it was pretty tacky for him to offer incentives to his readers to vote for him, when none of the other top comics were doing so.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I don't begrudge Thunt for being able to make a living off of his comic, either. I do, however, think it was pretty tacky for him to offer incentives to his readers to vote for him, when none of the other top comics were doing so.

To be fair, he did realize how bad a thing that was and decided to release it regardless of the result.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Broniki posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure Hussie only said GC was more deserving than Penny Arcade, a few weeks back. He never said to vote for it over MSPA.

The man threatened his readership with Olive Garden coupons. He has no intention of winning this.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The man threatened his readership with Olive Garden coupons. He has no intention of winning this.

I guess that kind of backfired with the one guy who wanted the Olive Garden coupon.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Where does this weird cool kid trend of hating on Olive Garden come from? Yeah, it's a chain that sells "Italian" food that's not as good as authentic Italian food, but...why all the smug attitudes and weird kind of classist disgust?

Yeah, turns out lower-to-middle class people want to go somewhere where they can get a lot of food for their money that doesn't feel like a fast food joint. Maybe they don't even know the difference between OG and Authentic Place because they've never been able't afford to go anywhere more expensive! HOW HILARIOUS.

I just don't get it. I'm not a huge OG fan, but I really don't get it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

There's a running joke Hussie does with Olive Garden. He apparently doesn't like it, to make a long story short he made a trip report on him finally going after considering it for the longest time.

The rest is probably a combination of Homestuck fans being Homestuck fans, people taking it too far, and people not getting the joke and taking it all seriously.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

[Edit] ^ Yeah, that. Said in fewer words!

Huntersoninski posted:

Where does this weird cool kid trend of hating on Olive Garden come from? Yeah, it's a chain that sells "Italian" food that's not as good as authentic Italian food, but...why all the smug attitudes and weird kind of classist disgust?

Yeah, turns out lower-to-middle class people want to go somewhere where they can get a lot of food for their money that doesn't feel like a fast food joint. Maybe they don't even know the difference between OG and Authentic Place because they've never been able't afford to go anywhere more expensive! HOW HILARIOUS.

I don't get it either, but I imagine a lot of it stems from MSPA fans trying to emulate Hussie's (hopefully) tongue-in-cheek hatred of it which probably began as some kind of in-joke, at least among MSPA fans. Fast forward and MSPA has become wildly popular among all kinds of people, some of them not too bright or confident in their own personalities, and you wind up with people trying to act the way they perceive their favorite author does without actually understanding his humor.

I sure hope that's it, though, because I think a mediocre restaurant chain is kind of a retarded thing to reserve genuine disgust for.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Huntersoninski posted:

I dunno. I think Olive Garden is tasty, and it's nice inside, so it's basically like a fancy restaurant for poor people. And being poor that works out for me!

Plus endless pasta bowls comes around near my birthday hooray!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Where did this thread get the idea that people were hating on OG? Ya, they don't have particularly authentic pasta. Personally, I find some more traditional dishes tastier than what is served there. That said, it's still fairly good food for what you pay for, even if it's not particularly authentic.

I take issue with people thinking OG serves traditional Italian, but the food is certainly serviceable.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Enemies of the Revolution, beware! Your classist disgust for chain restaurants will no longer be Tolerated.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't actually have an opinion on this (not American, chain doesn't exist over here), I was just pointing out that Hussie made a point of offering his readers an anti-prize (specifically, an Olive Garden coupon, as per the old joke) as part of his request to vote for Gunnerkrigg. Which is the weird sort of para-joking thing he does, but it probably does mean that he doesn't want people's votes, contrary to the post I was responding to. v:shobon:v

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Can we stop with the Hussiechat? Let's talk about GC, maybe speculate on the nature of Jones or what the heck Tony needs those scalpels for.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

VanSandman posted:

what the heck Tony needs those scalpels for.

For carefully cutting out counterfeit Olive Garden coupons.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

LashLightning posted:

For carefully cutting out counterfeit Olive Garden coupons.

I could see Anthony as a Frank Abagnale-type con man. At the very least it'd explain why he's gone so often.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to set off a minor derail there. It's Thursday evening, so there'll be a new page to talk about in twelve hours or so.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Jimmy Jims. He is known as Jimmy Jims.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Boy, that last panel is definitely not some kind of metaphor for Annie's relationship with her father or anything. No sir.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Annie seems to be feeling a bit better, at least. Good job, Donny Dons.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Jimmy Jim-Jams is never going to get any respect ever again.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Nondevor posted:

Jimmy Jims. He is known as Jimmy Jims.

Every chapter brings new and wonderful revelations to light.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well at least we know more about that character now.

Jimmy Jims is the teleporting girl right?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The big guy is Jimmy Jims.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Annie's gigantic sad eyes in the last panel :smith:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It took me three readings to realize BEEP BEEP didn't come from Annie after she heard that jabroni's nickname.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bell_ posted:

It took me three readings to realize BEEP BEEP didn't come from Annie after she heard that jabroni's nickname.
That's all I can see now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Mods please change my name to Jimmy Jims tia

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't think that Annie could put her blinker stone in the rocket, as someone suggested a few pages back. Launching things into space requires precise calculations, and the added weight of the stone would throw it off course.

Unless Anthony planned for her to put it in and included it the calculations he sent to Donny. :tinfoil:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 6, 2012

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mods please change my name to Jimmy Jims tia

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't think that Annie could put her blinker stone in the rocket, as someone suggested a few pages back. Launching things into space requires precise calculations, and the added weight of the stone would throw it off course.

Unless Anthony planned for her to put it in and included it the calculations he sent to Donny. :tinfoil:

That would be the most :psyduck: thing this comic has ever done, I think.

I'm really glad to see that Annie is recovering nicely from her previous shell-shock. Mr. Donlan is a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Holey moley I love Annie's expression in the second panel.

Bell_ posted:

This makes it even better.