Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Decided to take the momentum I had from finishing Midnight Tides and keep going and read Night of Knives.

I'm glad it only took an evening to read, and now I'm quite ready to get back to Erikson. I briefly felt clever about guessing Artan's identity, but then I remembered he spent all of MoI calling himself Artanthos and didn't feel clever any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

That's probably a spoiler so maybe tag it. Fiddler is literally the main character of The Book of the Fallen though. Also Fiddler does ascend doesn't he? He is strong and ages slowly

I'd say Fid's likely ascendant as ascendancy is achieved by worship. Fid and Hedge are shown multiple times to be worshipped by Cuttle and other sappers for stuff like The Drum and being crazy with munitions. Even prior to the spirit walker song for the bridge burners. He was Knight of Life too right?

Edit: nah was Leoman, Fid was soldier or priest.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 8, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Decided to take the momentum I had from finishing Midnight Tides and keep going and read Night of Knives.

I'm glad it only took an evening to read, and now I'm quite ready to get back to Erikson. I briefly felt clever about guessing Artan's identity, but then I remembered he spent all of MoI calling himself Artanthos and didn't feel clever any more.
welcome to ICE, he does this about five times per book for no reason and it never gets less obvious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The way I see it, all the ancients and ascendants may have more raw power than the normies but they don't have the imagination, the adaptability. Kalam, for example, was always such a good killer for his unpredictability and the fact that most in his profession lacked his brawn.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

The way I see it, all the ancients and ascendants may have more raw power than the normies but they don't have the imagination, the adaptability. Kalam, for example, was always such a good killer for his unpredictability and the fact that most in his profession lacked his brawn.

I'd say the older ones are like that, especially the primal elders, but not necessarily new ascendant's. Coltaine was ascendant and he was a genius tactician. Kellanved and Dancer ascended and basically took over the whole game. Ganoes went up against hounds and God's on day one. Anyone being worshipped or feared began on the path of ascendancy. It probably goes for Kalam too, pretty much a large part of the Claw was in awe of him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Congratulations, you're done with arguably the worst book in the entire series.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

The Ninth Layer posted:

Congratulations, you're done with arguably the worst book in the entire series.

Ehh, Night of Knives wasn't the worst ICE book. I think that honor falls on Blood and Bone personally. I know you said arguably the worst, so that's my argument.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Xachariah posted:

I'd say Fid's likely ascendant as ascendancy is achieved by worship. Fid and Hedge are shown multiple times to be worshipped by Cuttle and other sappers for stuff like The Drum and being crazy with munitions. Even prior to the spirit walker song for the bridge burners. He was Knight of Life too right?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also given that Kalam gets rescued in TCG and immediately begins a ludicrously bloody and effective murder of Forkrul Assail chiefs I'd say he probably got stronger. Taking down the Claw was similarly impressive but landed him in Azath A&E for years.

I agree that you can't rate characters on a linear scale of power but they definitely individually become more "powerful" in a way that's hard to read as anything other than a slightly silly but charming holdover of the story's RPG roots. I think the best example is when Quick Ben says that his fight with Icarium "stretched" him and made him able to access more warrens and stronger magic than he could before. He's literally stating he got in a tough encounter that levelled him up!

I'm surprised everyone is forgetting both the resiliency and slow aging granted all Bridgeburners during their initial campaign in Raraku and, more importantly, that the entire regiment ascended as the result of Tano Spiritwalker's song, which really kicked in (due to the circular nature of their magic) when, iirc, Kalam returned to Raraku to infiltrate the Whirlwind in...what, HoC?.

I attribute QBs stretching (which was never noted to allow access to new warrens) to perhaps both having to access that ascendant reserve for the first time, as well as his interactions with the Eres'al, whose power he came into contact with both when fighting off the Edur mages and Icarium.

And Kalam didn't suddenly become a FA-killing machine - he had QB helping him out the whole time.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At least Blood and Bone had some atmosphere to it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Ehh, Night of Knives wasn't the worst ICE book-
I rarely tell people outright that they're wrong.

But you are so wrong.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Xachariah posted:

Fiddler was apparently the Priest at one point, and the Soldier at another. I'm not sure why. He changes a lot though...

e: [Bonehunters] Ah, correction - he got them both in that same reading near the end, right before the Bonehunters docked at Malaz.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 8, 2016

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Habibi posted:

But you are so wrong.

At least it was relatively short and focused on fewer characters, even if at least one of them was a Mary Sue. Blood and Bone was so much slog and had about 5 too many groups of people traveling through the jungle. Normally he's content with focusing on only around 3 too many groups traveling. And the Thaumaturgs were so much wasted potential.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

At least it was relatively short and focused on fewer characters, even if at least one of them was a Mary Sue. Blood and Bone was so much slog and had about 5 too many groups of people traveling through the jungle. Normally he's content with focusing on only around 3 too many groups traveling. And the Thaumaturgs were so much wasted potential.

I don't disagree with any of this. But in fewer pages and with fewer characters NoK still manages to be worse. It is the only Malaz universe book that I haven't been at all tempted to reread.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Well here's to hoping that Dancers Lament will be a big step up from both of them. If not, well at least Fall of Light is coming soon as well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Habibi posted:

But you are so wrong.
It's over quickly, that alone makes it better than RotCG

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

One chapter into The Bonehunters. Karsa throwing dudes! Apsalar off to do murder and making friends with two strange Chained spirits! Lady Spite and the Nameless Ones plotting to kill someone, presumably Icarium! No Fiddler yet, but I bet he's going to show up soon.

It's so nice coming back to characters I know. I don't think this will take me as long to get into as Midnight Tides did.

Edit: Cotillion! :swoon:

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 9, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I din't think this is a common opinion, but I think my favorite chapter of the series is in Bonehunters

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Just finished Dust of Dreams

gently caress! I don't even know who's left yet. Did QB make it? Is fiddler alive? Poor loving Sunrise and Keneb! And tarr too wasn't it? The Khundryl deserved better, the Bonehunters deserved better. Though I did enjoy the book a lot of the turn around on the KCCM. Was not expecting that at all.

I think the hardest hitting storyline in general has to be Tool/Toc. To see him fall so far hurts so hard considering how long we've seen him built up.

I'm deliberately giving myself a day inbetween starting the next one to let it all sink in.

Oh actual question regarding DoD Do they explain the snake anymore I'm still a tad confused about them. So Badalle can soulhop like bottle can right? And was hopping to Gu'Rall when he took Gesler Stormy? I'm just not quite clear on if the snake was real/where its happening

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 9, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

I din't think this is a common opinion, but I think my favorite chapter of the series is in Bonehunters

My only issue with it is that (and god drat I can't believe I'm saying this about a nearly 1300 page Malazan book) almost TOO MUCH happens. The pacing is screwy and there'd probably be 11 books in the series if he wrote it like he did Reaper's Gale where everything felt like it had more time to play out.

In a way I wish there would have been that 11th book, because [Whole series]Ganoes Paran is my favorite character in the series and his "screen time" was so limited. He did cool poo poo in The Bonehunters but I feel like there could have been more written - it could have been split like DG/MoI where each follows a certain set of characters. Instead we go from him killing a god and taking over an army in book 6 to... well not much of anything until the very last book. Hell, if you look at my posts here from when I was doing my first read of the series last year, it's a common theme. I keep asking "Where is Ganoes??"

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cerepol posted:

Oh actual question regarding DoD Do they explain the snake anymore I'm still a tad confused about them. So Badalle can soulhop like bottle can right? And was hopping to Gu'Rall when he took Gesler Stormy? I'm just not quite clear on if the snake was real/where its happening

Here comes yet another NSA Document Post:

[DoD with a slight hint to TCG] The snake continues into TCG and is further explained. They are exactly what you think they are - a shitload of children with no parents, who (as you saw in DoD) have been walking through the wastelands trying to survive. Badalle and Bottle are fundamentally different, I want to say - Bottle does what he does consciously and can exert control over lesser minds (remember the rat in The Bonehunters?). Badalle sees through the eyes of others (Gu'Rull in particular) in her dreams.

e: To the thread at large: Sorry about all these black bars in the last couple days but I'm now about 300 pages into TCG on my re-read, a lot of this is fresh again and I'm trying to be as meticulous as possible. You guys never ruined it for me (thank you for that) and I want to make sure I don't ruin anything for someone else. Better safe than sorry.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 9, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I really appreciate all the spoiler bars. They mean I can follow the thread without worrying about anything getting ruined. And that, much like Malazan, I'll be able to reread later on with greater enjoyment.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fenrir posted:

Here comes yet another NSA Document Post:

[DoD with a slight hint to TCG] The snake continues into TCG and is further explained. They are exactly what you think they are - a shitload of children with no parents, who (as you saw in DoD) have been walking through the wastelands trying to survive.

This isn't entitely correct. The children were children, but the 'Snake' thing was actually a manifestation of D'rek, the Worm of Autumn, who was travelling to the location of the final stand, where he/she wrapped her/himself around the hill where they were reassembling TCG to...I don't remember exactly. Provide protection against magical attack perhaps. It's been a few years. It is also, iirc, the primary reason for Banaschar's presence.

Once I caught that (on my second go through TCG), the Snake bit (which was probably my least favorite part of DoD originally) was seriously redeemed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Habibi posted:

the 'Snake' thing was actually a manifestation of D'rek, the Worm of Autumn, who was travelling to the location of the final stand, where he/she wrapped her/himself around the hill where they were reassembling TCG to...I don't remember exactly.

To say "gently caress you, Assail!", obviously.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

As good a reason as any!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Fiddler was apparently the Priest at one point, and the Soldier at another. I'm not sure why. He changes a lot though...

e: [Bonehunters] Ah, correction - he got them both in that same reading near the end, right before the Bonehunters docked at Malaz.

As far as I understand it, the deck of dragons doesn't make you ascendant. Rather it symbolizes the role of different people in the surroundings for the specific reading. For instance Bottle becomes obelisk in the letheras one. And there should be several characters that have positions in the houses without having ascended. Like pust.

The process of ascendancy seems to have much more in common with experience than getting chosen for a position. And while fiddler might become an ascendant, he is not one for the scope of the serious.

For all the moaning about the series being the novelization of a RPG campaign, a lot of you people really try to fit the whole story into a RPG mold.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
No, you don't have to be ascendant to fit into the Deck. I'm not sure where that idea came from. Many people who aren't ascendants have/had a place in it, [Whole series] such as Tavore, that slaver who owned Karsa, Sandalath, Trull Sengar, etc etc

Habibi posted:

This isn't entitely correct. The children were children, but the 'Snake' thing was actually a manifestation of D'rek, the Worm of Autumn, who was travelling to the location of the final stand, where he/she wrapped her/himself around the hill where they were reassembling TCG to...I don't remember exactly. Provide protection against magical attack perhaps. It's been a few years. It is also, iirc, the primary reason for Banaschar's presence.

Once I caught that (on my second go through TCG), the Snake bit (which was probably my least favorite part of DoD originally) was seriously redeemed.

Well, I didn't want to get into that part, he hasn't yet read TCG and only asked for a small hint.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

To say "gently caress you, Assail!", obviously.
Sounds like she read ICE.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fenrir posted:

No, you don't have to be ascendant to fit into the Deck. I'm not sure where that idea came from. Many people who aren't ascendants have/had a place in it, [Whole series] such as Tavore, that slaver who owned Karsa, Sandalath, Trull Sengar, etc etc

Pretty much my point as well.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Welp, just read the Y'ghatan chapter of Bonehunters. That was loving brutal to get through - as hard to read as the Siege of Capustan in MoI. I think I need to take a breather for the rest of the night.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cptn_dr posted:

Welp, just read the Y'ghatan chapter of Bonehunters. That was loving brutal to get through - as hard to read as the Siege of Capustan in MoI. I think I need to take a breather for the rest of the night.

Yeah, that section alone made Bonehunters one of my favourite Malazan books. That and all the other great scenes, gently caress the haters Bonehunters owns. :colbert:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Personally I'm glad for the NSA redaction, it means I can follow some of the discussion without being spoiled on books I've try to read.

Update: after taking a break, I'm back into reading House of Chains and really enjoying seeing Fiddler and Gesler again. Can't wait to see what they get up to.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I still love that of all the important scenes in Bonehunters, the cover art was this:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I have a question regarding the Complete ebook collection going on Amazon.
I own all the books in hardcover but I am currently living abroad and want to do a re-read of the series. I acquired the ebooks through :filez: since I own them all already but they are littered with typos.
I am assuming the complete collection through Amazon, being official and all that, won't have the wonky formatting errors that come with pirated ebooks.
Anyone have any reasons or evidence that this version is not worth buying? Or that they are worth buying individually? Or that I am crazy and should just live with the typos and formatting errors?

This series owns and during my first read through I got distracted by a master's degree halfway through Bonehunters. I remember thinking at the time, "These books are going to kick even more rear end when I read them a second time" and that day may soon come.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 13, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pegnose Pete posted:

I am assuming the complete collection through Amazon, being official and all that, won't have the wonky formatting errors that come with pirated ebooks.

What, you don't want to read about the further adventures of Toe the Younger?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

NmareBfly posted:

What, you don't want to read about the further adventures of Toe the Younger?

That would drive me insane!!
Can anyone comment on the amazon versions of the ebooks? Individual vs the collection?

edit: 1159th year of bum's sleep

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 13, 2016

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The Complete version from Amazon is pretty much flawless. My Paperwhite chugged a bit with the AZW3 version at times but it's very readable.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Tiste Andü

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

mischief posted:

The Complete version from Amazon is pretty much flawless. My Paperwhite chugged a bit with the AZW3 version at times but it's very readable.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I plan on ordering one of the new kindles when they launch. Thank you for the confirmation!
I may be a bit OCD but I will literally pay 100$ to have Toe corrected to Toc. Take my money, Erikson!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

gently caress the haters Bonehunters owns. :colbert:

I don't think you'll find many haters of that book around here - I know I'm not alone when I say it was among the best stories in the series and told too fast. In other words, I wish there was MORE of that book. Because 1300 pages still wasn't enough, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
bonehunters nmore like ownshunters