Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

kim jong-illin posted:

What's a decent compact hand grinder that can do coarse and fine grinds with as much particle size consistency as possible?

I've looked at the OE LIDO 2 mentioned above and it's both too big (33cm tall) and too expensive (exactly the same cost as a Baratza Encore over here). I have a Hario Skereton from when I first got into coffee and, while it's okay for Aeropress because it's consistent when fine grinding, it can't do coarse enough grinds for pour-over because there's too much particle size variation.
I have a porlex mini-mill and it seems to have no issue with the finer grinds, but requires some re-jiggering with rubberbands to keep the burr and ring centered and not floaty. It basically requires you to put a thick rubber band (think broccoli or asparagus) around the outside of the ring so it stays inside the grinder housing and doesn't drop down. As well, the screw mechanism allows for a gradual change in particle size for control versus my Hario, which is very distinctly stepped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Laminator posted:

I have the S Filter and find it hard to fit, ever after using my Aeropress for like 6 months and doing the stretching of the filter basket like they suggest. The filter's thickness makes it hard to screw on to the body, especially when it's full of hot liquid...

Nevermind, I have the knockoff S filter, not the real deal. Seems like some people have the same issues I do, though, based on the one-star reviews.

Was at the local mall yesterday and saw that the coffee shop had a sale going

Only ¥2,000 ($20)! Japan is awesome.

If anyone is wanting some obscure or hard to order Japanese coffee stuff I can try and find it and bring it with me to US, just let me know.

Tell me about that coffee pot I suddenly need?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's for cold brewing. You can do the same thing with any big jar.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ropes4u posted:

I have this and it is quite nice. I use it to make iced coffee during the summer. Just fill up the top part with coffee and then fill it with water and let it sit overnight.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bummer I was hoping it was something I needed cause I love me some goony / rare coffee stuffs. I haven't ever embraced cold coffee..

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Bummer I was hoping it was something I needed cause I love me some goony / rare coffee stuffs. I haven't ever embraced cold coffee..

Just do it in a french press it loving rules for ease of clean up and the fact that you have 2 days of delicious coffee on hand at all times.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ropes4u posted:

$14.50 on Amzn Prime, I use one for tea occasionally

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Water-Coffee-600ml-Brown/dp/B00IJ3O0Y2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Looks like Amzn is just bringing in everything Hario to keep hipsters happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Technica-5-Cup-Coffee-Syphon/dp/B000IKLQZK/ref=sr_1_30?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1423770454&sr=1-30

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

good things are better shared
:thumbsup:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 13, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlEMEpmpyo

I think I want one now thats cool as hell.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ded posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlEMEpmpyo

I think I want one now thats cool as hell.

They are. And they make good coffee.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wonder how long that would last at work, half a day max?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 13, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ropes4u posted:

Wonder how long that would last at work, half a day max?

I keep one locked in my filing cabinet with a baratza preciso and a jennings scale. My filing cabinet has no files really.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

There is a grinder on kickstarter that looks interesting but I'm not an expert.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

There is a grinder on kickstarter that looks interesting but I'm not an expert.
Just get a Hario and a 3d print to do the exact same thing the kick starter.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Please someone post the best cold brew recipe ever. I need to do something with this 12 oz of fresh coffee I've got!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dhrusis posted:

Please someone post the best cold brew recipe ever. I need to do something with this 12 oz of fresh coffee I've got!

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

If you don't have a french press you can use a strainer and a bowl

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just get a Hario and a 3d print to do the exact same thing the kick starter.

Do you have that?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Do you have that?
Not yet, won't be here till late Feb. Brother recommended it and he's pretty anal about this stuff; I'll report back.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Aeropress fans --- Able disk or S filter? are there any significant differences? I want to start getting some oils in my aeropress cups, see how the flavor changes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Haven't used the S filter but I've used both varieties of Able Disk and they're great and easy to clean off.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

My paper-filtered Aeropress brews usually have a noticeable slick of oily stuff on the top, so unless the S-filter just allows more of that stuff through, I'm not sure that you're going to taste a difference. Other people have had a similar experience. I think the improvement is mostly in ease of use/reusability.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hey Becoming, how good does your cold brew concentrate stay good for in the fridge?

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

TheJeffers posted:

My paper-filtered Aeropress brews usually have a noticeable slick of oily stuff on the top, so unless the S-filter just allows more of that stuff through, I'm not sure that you're going to taste a difference. Other people have had a similar experience. I think the improvement is mostly in ease of use/reusability.

thanks guys, maybe i'll get one when i run out of filters

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

TheJeffers posted:

The difference between a paper filter and a disk/s is less pronounced on the aeropress than it would be with pourover, but there is a certain body/mouthfeel difference that I notice because of the oils between paper filters and metal anywhere. So if you're really sensitive to textural changes or "size," a metal filter will give you a fuller profile.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

JohnCompany posted:

The difference between a paper filter and a disk/s is less pronounced on the aeropress than it would be with pourover, but there is a certain body/mouthfeel difference that I notice because of the oils between paper filters and metal anywhere. So if you're really sensitive to textural changes or "size," a metal filter will give you a fuller profile.

Yeah, I've been roasting and profiling multiple beans, trying to start my little roastery, and I think I'd be able to select a better quality of bean if I was able to get a better body, so I guess you've changed my mind ;-)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Also is there any hard with adding like, 4 hours to the cold brew steep time? I decided to make it at 4:30pm without really thinking about it.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any strong opinions on the old-style Chemex with wood handles vs the ones with glass handles? The wood ones look way cooler to me but I've heard some people complain about cleaning them.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Whats the current goon approve $100-150 grinder for using mainly with a CCD? I want to get one for my daughter.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

porktree posted:

Whats the current goon approve $100-150 grinder for using mainly with a CCD? I want to get one for my daughter.

Looks like at that price you have the Capresso Infinity, Baratza Encore, and Bodum Bistro. The Bodum is kind of weird and impractical. The Baratza is 40 dollars more than the Infinity and is supposed to be "better".

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'd go Baratza Encore in that price range. I can't speak to a pure grind comparison, but I had an Infinity for about 5 years and I've used an Encore a few times since and the build quality is definitely nicer on the Encore.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I have been looking into turkish coffee and I really want to try it out. Any recommendations on an affordable Ibrik? Is there a difference in taste with a copper or stainless steel?

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 16, 2015

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

wangvicous posted:

Looks like at that price you have the Capresso Infinity, Baratza Encore, and Bodum Bistro. The Bodum is kind of weird and impractical. The Baratza is 40 dollars more than the Infinity and is supposed to be "better".

Thanks everyone - Baratza it is - $129 shipped from Amazon vs a refurb from Baratza at $99 plus shipping; I'm thinking net net, with shipping it's going to be within $15 so will go with new.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

porktree posted:

Thanks everyone - Baratza it is - $129 shipped from Amazon vs a refurb from Baratza at $99 plus shipping; I'm thinking net net, with shipping it's going to be within $15 so will go with new.

When I looked like a month or two ago, with shipping the refurb was like 129.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Hey Becoming, how good does your cold brew concentrate stay good for in the fridge?

Most places online say that cold brew stays good for two weeks in the fridge. We lost track of a bottle once and it was in there for well over a month. We drank it and it was awesome, but we mix it with milk too so if you're just doing ice or water, might be different.

Google Butt posted:

Also is there any hard with adding like, 4 hours to the cold brew steep time? I decided to make it at 4:30pm without really thinking about it.

Shouldn't be, so long as it's not in a really warm place. A lot of folks do 24 hours, but stick it in the refrigerator to slow the process. You've already made this batch by now (sorry for missing this), so let me know how it turned out.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

a messed up horse posted:

Any strong opinions on the old-style Chemex with wood handles vs the ones with glass handles? The wood ones look way cooler to me but I've heard some people complain about cleaning them.

I have a glass-handle Chemex and a Hario Woodneck. The Chemex is definitely easier to clean and easier to handle. I agree that the wood looks way sexier, but I'd strongly recommend the glass handle version.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anything I can do to reduce the static that builds up inside the grinder? On my Vario it's impossible to get all the grounds out because a lot of em stay stuck in there from the static electricity that builds up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do you say the Bodum Bistro is impractical? I notice it has a glass container to eliminate static which seems like a nice touch.

Also, is it my imagination or do I get more static the finer I grind the coffee?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why do you say the Bodum Bistro is impractical? I notice it has a glass container to eliminate static which seems like a nice touch.

Also, is it my imagination or do I get more static the finer I grind the coffee?

Assuming the static is from the coffee grinds rubbing into each other, there is more surface area with a finer grind, so that would make sense.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

becoming posted:

I have a glass-handle Chemex and a Hario Woodneck. The Chemex is definitely easier to clean and easier to handle. I agree that the wood looks way sexier, but I'd strongly recommend the glass handle version.

Alright, thanks, I'll go for the glass then. Maybe I'll run across a wood-handled one cheap some time and can buy it just to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Although a good idea in principle, my parents have a Bodum Bistro and fine grinds fly everywhere, glass be damned.