Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfternoonCaptain
Sep 18, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

:rolldice: You have slain the dragon! Now the treasure horde is yours to do with as you please.
:) Alright, we fill our bags with all the gold we can carry.
:rolldice: There's still a ton of gold here. Three cubic acres of gold!
:) The wagon's down at the bottom of the mountain, isn't it. Hmm... maybe we could sell the horde's location to someone?
:witch: I'm going to draw a runic fire circle around the horde! You said it was in the middle of the huge dome, right?
:rolldice: Okay, that's going to be a huge circle and a lot of fire. Uh, what's your plan?
:witch: I'm going to melt the gold and pour it down the mountain! SOME of it will reach town, I bet!
:rolldice: Alright, uh, :stonk:, and furthermore the town is at the very base of this very steep mountain, and this is a ton of gold, so---
:witch: Gold plated town it is! (rolls) Nat 20 on Rune Carving! :woop:

what the hell is a cubic acre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AfternoonCaptain posted:

what the hell is a cubic acre?

1/3 of Scrooge McDuck's money bin, as it was a referential jest and not a precise unit of measurement

e: alternatively,

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 10, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's an acre cubed. As far as I can tell, a cubic acre isn't actually a commonly used term, but is a stand-in term for an acre-foot, which is the volume of a rectangular polygon one acre on the bottom, and one foot deep.

AfternoonCaptain
Sep 18, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

1/3 of Scrooge McDuck's money bin, as it was a referential jest and not a precise unit of measurement

e: alternatively,

oh, missed that reference, I was preoccupied with it having dimensions of length^6

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

AfternoonCaptain posted:

oh, missed that reference, I was preoccupied with it having dimensions of length^6

There's so much gold, it transcends dimensions.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It was a very old and very busy dragon that liked gold. Six dimension's worth.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Even one inch of thickness in the fourth dimension would make it an infinite amount of three-dimensional gold. So it would basically be worthless.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Even one inch of thickness in the fourth dimension would make it an infinite amount of three-dimensional gold. So it would basically be worthless.
How does that logic even work? You'd have a ?D pile of gold with properties that can't be fully described using 3D measurements. If such an object exists within an N-dimensional space, then every other within that space can be described using the same (N or fewer) dimensions and follows the same rules such as conservation of mass, momentum, etc.

Unless you're using wizard tensors.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 10, 2015

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

silentsnack posted:

How does that logic even work? You'd have a ?D pile of gold with properties that can't be fully described using 3D measurements. If such an object exists within an N-dimensional space, then every other within that space can be described using the same (N or fewer) dimensions and follows the same rules such as conservation of mass, momentum, etc.

Unless you're using wizard tensors.

Think of it this way: you have a cube; how many completely 2d "slices" can you cut it into? Keep in mind that the thickness of a slice is 0. It works the same with arbitrary n-versus-n-1 dimensions. In this case, you'd have an infinite set of "3D" piles of gold set next together on a line extending into the fourth dimension.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jothan posted:

Think of it this way: you have a cube; how many completely 2d "slices" can you cut it into? Keep in mind that the thickness of a slice is 0. It works the same with arbitrary n-versus-n-1 dimensions. In this case, you'd have an infinite set of "3D" piles of gold set next together on a line extending into the fourth dimension.
Er, yes... kinda? Just because you can slice a pie into an infinite number of pieces doesn't mean you actually get any more pie. My point was: in a universe where 4D objects can exist, every object has a 4th component (except abstract/subspaces) and if we're considering a 3D subspace then you can't project that 3D cross-section of a 4D object next to itself to create an arbitrary amount of matter in 3-space. If space is consistent and we're not considering a subspace, the observer is also 4-dimensional and sees one pile of gold. Unless space is inconsistent as a result of magic/etc or the intervention of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative. Just making a goofy nerd joke involving math wizards.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kommando posted:

I'm not getting into an argument about infanticide over this, but the game is ripe with chances to argue ethics.

Yea, I'd say that "is it still unethical to hurt children in a world where literally anyone can upload themselves into a child" is exactly the kind of issue that transhumanism is about thinking about, especially it's meant to be on the disturbing side.

Would like to give an experience but I bit short. Um. 5e Pixie Railguns? Probably old news by now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Makes me really want to do some more transhuman sci-fi stuff. I'm all for moral ambiguity.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

silentsnack posted:

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative. Just making a goofy nerd joke involving math wizards.

"Mathemagicians" :eng101:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Went to my regular VtM larp the other night. Had a good time, made some progress on things both for my character and the overall plot.
I try to take notes, but, I've never been good at that. But, here's what I've got:

Stig - Me. Gangrel Anarch. Laid back, enjoys trolling/provoking people.
Sylvy - Gangrel Primogen, was sharing the position with another guy who hasn't shown up to the past several games. Really wishes she were a werewolf. Serious chips on her shoulder.
Kitty - Malkavian Primogen. Stig's skee-ball buddy (Anarchs control the Dave and Busters in Pittsburgh in our game.), thinks she's living in Hetalia.
Cornelius - I think he's an Assamite? He's got some magic goggles that let him see things on the astral plane. Went ghost hunting with Stig a few times.
Tony - Anarch Baron, played by Mike, one of the ST's.
Tears of Helios - Werewolf antagonist. Played by Dan, the other ST. Is literally on Fire, and deals Sunlight/Fire damage when he hits you. Killed a bunch of vampire elders the last time he was in Pittsburgh (before my time)

So, the evening begins with a Gangrel NPC explaining that one of the Prince's ghouls has been kidnapped. There were signs of a struggle, and a search party was being organized.
I don't know much past that, because I didn't get in on that. Apparently Sylvy tried beating a guy to death with his own arm? But yeah, I had other leads to follow up on, and I don't care too much about the Camarilla's problems anyways.

Sylvy pulls me aside and mentions that Dresden (the Gangrel who was sharing Primogen duties with her) hasn't been to the last few meetings, and asks if I'll back her if he takes offense to her claiming the position solely for herself. Again, I don't care about Camarilla politics, BUT, I also really don't like Dresden, and I'm certainly on board with an excuse to beat him up.

Pretty sure I mentioned that I had encountered some sort of pissed off Super Wraith, and another spirit that it seemed to be keeping as a punching bag. I haven't had much luck establishing contact, because anytime I figure out a way to communicate, the SuperWraith skips straight to trying to kill me, and the other one just keeps trying to get me to leave before I get myself killed.
I was able to acquire a note from the victim spirit. Well, more like a scrawl on a piece of paper, but hey, I have friends who can do things similar to Psychometry.

My primary goal was figuring out a way to be able to fight the Wraith, since currently, I lack any means to see/defend against/attack it. The Tremere Primogen mentioned being able to enchant a few weapons, but, that does me no good since I put all my combat into Brawl. I figured I would try my luck with a "real" mage, and spent a lot of downtime trying to track one down.
Eventually, I do learn that he's rumored to operate out of a magic shop. Around the same time I figure this out, the Super Mario theme starts coming from my TV. Touching the TV throws me into First Person Mario. (Literally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBb9wFP7uZM)
I clear the level, and get thrown from the TV with a coin in my hand. The coin works like a GPS, and leads me to the magic shop in question.
Inserting the coin into a slot near the door, I'm allowed inside, where I meet...I never actually got his name, but he was like the bastard lovechild of Willy Wonka and The Doctor.
I'm able to ask if he can do anything to "let me punch ghosts.", he says that's a bad idea for me to do, but, if I play his game, he'll see what he can do to help me out.

gently caress Yes I'm in for that idea.
And back into the first person Mario I go. Except this time, for some reason, I'm in the Tanuki suit. And the enemies have wings, so I can't just cheese my way through by flying. No matter, I still clear the levels.
For my efforts, I'm rewarded with a magic coat. It gives me 2 extra health boxes against spirits, and then I'm transported back to my home.

I talk to Kitty and ask her to do "brain things" to the note I had gotten earlier from the spirit. She does so, allowing me to ride shotgun in her head, and we enter the astral version of the house that the spirits are in. The "good" spirit is batshit loving insane from however many years of torture it's endured, the insanity wrapping around it's core like a cage. We try touching the cage, and for our trouble, we experience all the pain that spirit has ever felt. We don't take any actual damage, but, it still hurts like a motherfucker. The spirit looks at me, and reminds me that "I TOLD you to run! Repeatedly! She's coming!"
At which point, the Bad Ghost arrives and tries to consume Kitty and myself. Kitty gets us out of there, and as we're leaving, we hear the tortured screams of the Good Ghost.

We come back to our normal bodies, and one of the other players tells us that Sylvy has encountered Tears of Helios and is fighting him a ways from the Elysium.
I tell Mike that I'm grabbing a few things, and then I head to the scene.

I missed a few big chunks of this fight, so I can't give a play by play. Sylvy seemed to be holding her own, or at least losing slowly. She seemed to be pretty combat specced, and was doing everything she could to emulate an actual werewolf. She has some sort of werewolf combat form, and can split herself into 4 copies.
Myself and a few others arrive, including a Gargoyle PC. Initiatives are cast, my turn rolls around:
"Tears of Helios! Have a Snickers! You're acting like a dick right now!" - Social check.
Mike: "Yeah, he did grab one of those on the way out."
Unfortunately, I lost that social check. On the bright side, Tears had more important things to deal with, so he didn't attack me.

Next turn, it gets to me:
Me: "I pull out my fire extinguisher!"
Dan: "You brought a fire extinguisher?"
Me: "Motherfucker, I brought 4!"
Mike: "Yep. He did."
No checks were necessary, and to my credit, I actually am able to extinguish some of Tears' flames. Not all of them, but a lot.

Other people do useful things. The Gargoyle tries to tank, since he has Visceratika out the rear end, Sylvy is frenzied and trying to fight, Kitty tries to use Presence to lock down Tears' powers, guns are fired, etc.
Gradually, we're winning, though Tears is regenerating more health than we're able to do, and he used an ability that stopped a lot of us from being able to spend Blood for the rest of the scene, so that stops a lot of us from bringing out any of our better powers. Eventually, he retreats, and since none of us are capable of really following him, we chalk it up as a win for ourselves and the game ends shortly after.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
More Monsterhearts, based vaguely on Brick!

I tried out a new skin, the Wyrm, a manipulative hoarder. It was embodied by Rafael Torez De Moncada-Fria: Castilian, Math Prodigy and son of leisure. He wanted to use his currency to get at his treasures: Stevie and Vincent.

He was a good guy (kind of), trying to keep order at San Clemente High School. Unfortunately, Maxine had been bitten by a vampire, Stevie had been convinced by a homeless person to hunt Monsters, and Robert had made a deal with his Dark Power, the Trickster. Vincent was the only relatively normal person, and had a massive crush on Maxine.

So the following hijinx happened:
--Maxine trying really hard to run away from Stevie, who just wanted to talk, and this going from classroom to hallway to field to Vincent's house. Rafael tried to break up the fight a few times but said gently caress it, leaving to eat some pills. (He discovered in his vision that Maxine WAS a vampire, but his attempts to warn people did very little good).
--Robert tried to prank Raef by stealing Raef's sister's diary. Though he had to pull a fire alarm (and hurl a smoke bomb) to do it, he discovered a horrifying family secret.
--Raef and Robert kicked a hacky-sack around, trading gossip for access to Robert's Dark Power. The Dark Power initially liked Raef (or did he), but it's hard to bribe a wealthy, arrogant Real-Madrid fan. But the fact the Dark Power revealed himself let Raef plan an Iago-level plan:
Get Maxine to feed off Robert, and give proof to Stevie, who'd fight him off. Thus getting a favor from all of them.

Meanwhile, at Vincent's house, the nauseous Maxine tried to seduce him. They turned up Nirvana's Drain You when Stevie burst in the door, a cup of her blood in one hand, a huge sword in the other.

Unfortunately, Maxine had fled, so Stevie (who was trying to save Vincent!) looked like the craziest person ever.

The moral of the story: Nothing can ever be predicted. Vote Ron Paul.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Did an amazing one-shot of Monsterhearts, with the characters touring Miskatonic University. (If you're curious, it was run by my friend who played the Sasquatch in the last game, and Vincent in the Brick game.)

I played a Selkie who was basically this tweet:

When your Tears Mix with Water, buy less candles.

Muirgen (Mare-gehn) had washed up on shore and was utterly dumb. Like all Selkies, she had a pelt which she needed to return to life in the Ocean. With it, she could swim incredibly fast and return home, abandoning life on land; unfortunately, someone else had it.

Which meant she had to go along with human society, at least long enough to get it back. Part of that was a place to live (Muirgen lived in a boathouse, fed and clothed clandestinely by a 9-year-old named Pauline).
And part of that was homeroom.

Levi was a werewolf, if you're curious.
Her best friend was Regan, who had her own problems. Regan begged for favor with The Fallen; return her girlfriend Camilla to life. Nereid, a fellow member of the swim team, held on to Muirgen's "coat", and promised to give it back if she went to the big frat party tonight*. She was going to see her boyfriend, Bryan, and they were going to have tons of sex. Like they always did, because she had a college boyfriend.

The Selkie flipped out, raising her voice ("We're having an argument! Stop staring!") and when Regan tried to help, she noticed Camilla flirting with Stacy. Who was making eyes at Xiomara.

---
On the way to Miskatonic, Regan tried to get proof of Stacy's infidelity, and Muirgen asked the teacher how she could be less stupid. After a circular argument, Muirgen got an unsatisfying "if you weren't smart, you wouldn't be in school" and got shuffled off to her tour-buddy, H-Man. Wanting to impress Nereid, Muirgen convinced H-man to bring drugs to the party. It would be awesome!
---
At the school, Regan's dark power gave her instructions: get Muirgen to the Delta Iota Epsilon frat party. Regan suggested an easier process: Have the Fallen talk to Muirgen directly.

The condescending dark menace talked to Muirgen simply. It said it could grant her wishes, give her what her heart desired. Muirgen explained how in the Wizard of Oz, the Scarecrow was able to get a brain. The Dark Power laughed at her, and said that was beyond her power.

Muirgen fled down to the beach, keening about her homeland. A conflicted Regan followed her, and saw The Ocean drop off a gift: something pink.

Pledge clothes.

---
All during this time, Levi was getting close to Carli, the principal's daughter, and telling her about his lycanthropic curse. She didn't believe him, and they made out heavily. Muirgen tried to invite them to the party but was, for the most part, ignored.
---
Regan, finding Muirgen beautiful and otherworldly, and decided to sleep with her. Afterwards, Muirgen appeared from beneath the waves, looking suddenly much older; in a thick brogue, she asked Regan if she'd wife her, for there were two worlds, and no way to split the difference.

Regan said yes, and the Selkie returned to her teenage self. The sky flashed with thunder.
---
That's about when the werewolf attacked.

Levi had finally wolfed out, lowering his inhibitions and running after Carli. Muirgen protected her, swimming her off to a nearby outcropping, while Levi fought the Delta Iotas. Eventually, Carli realized only she could stop his madness, and the two managed to flee into the Miskatonic darkness. Love was a dangerous game.
---
At the party, Nereid returned Muir's coat. Nereid's college boyfriend hit on the new girl. Regan was told by the dark power that she'd failed her goal to 'protect' Muirgen and had in fact spoiled the sacrifice. But there would be more...Stacy, for one.

On the balcony, Nereid's boyfriend Bryan explained his intentions. He hadn't slept with Nere;
then she wouldn't be Pure. The members of D.I.E. needed Pure women for the fallen to inhabit. If she was down, though, Bryan would pity-gently caress her.

Tears ran down Muirgen's face, and thunder cracked across the sky. As he reached back to slap her ("crazy bitch!"), a wave roared out of the Ocean, sending him down five stories to the foam below.

Fed up with the world of man, the Selkie dove into the Ocean and swam home.

---
At home, Pauline was waiting in the boathouse.
"They kept you really late at school today!" the girl said. Muir sighed, toweled off, and sat with her ersatz sister.
"Pauline, how do you know when you're in love?"
The moppet thought for a second.
"When a prince kisses a princess on the lips, they're in love, and they stay in love forever. That's how it is, if you kiss someone on the lips, you love him."
"What about your parents? Do you kiss them on the lips?"
"Yeah! And I love them!
The selkie nodded.
"Why do we go to school?"
"I don't know! We have to get smarter, and my parents say something about competing with Asia, but I don't know what that means. I told them I don't want to go."

Muirgen sighed, squeezing a still-soggy bang. Pauline presented her with dinner: a peanut butter sandwich. Muirgen gave her five bucks.

"Pauline, do you like me?"
"Of course I like you! You're like Ariel! You're a princess who came from the ocean.
Are you crying?"

Muirgen lied 'no' and agreed to finally watch The Little Mermaid.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 28, 2015

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Kavak posted:

Yeah, while I'm not sure magic armor and regular armor bonuses don't stack, I'll follow this and be more fluid about magic item prices. This is actually the first time I've GMed in forever, which is part of why I stuck with 3.5 instead of diving into a new system. Thank you all for the advice!

While obviously it seems the conversation is over, I feel this angle wasn't really covered: Unlike with True Strike (which, while lasting 1 Minute, normally only applies to a single attack - sure, you can argue for it applying to more if you extend the duration, but that requires 'interpretation' and other reading-between-the-lines, while Mage Armor (in my opinion) just needs the duration changed and otherwise keeps its wording), Mage Armor would work exactly the same as a continuous effect compared to a continuous string of wizard-cast spell-effect (read: If you had a gang of level 1 wizards following you around casting it once an hour (maybe a bit more, for a margin), and who are ready to re-apply it in 1d4 rounds after it being dispelled, it would have the same effect. Which isn't true of True Strike being cast once a minute)
And 'Continuous' costs the same as '5 uses per day' (specifically, it says 'Use-activated or continuous', and 'use-activated' cost is 'divided by (5 divided by charges per day)')
So, let's say you go 'No, you can't have the Mage Armor be continuous': The player could go 'Alright... Then I want horse armor that CASTS Mage Armor, five times per day. Which I can use on other people too, because it's just casting the spell'
Continuous gives up the versatility of only ever applying to one target (continuous flight gets a single person into the air. Multiple casts of Flight gets multiple people into the air, although for a shorter time), for the reliability of never having to use it or worry about re-applying it when dispelled (in the horse-armor case, someone stabbing the horse in the middle of the night does not have to worry about the Use-based version (unless the guy on duty applies it regularly), but he does have to go through the continuous kind)

If you think it's also too cheap for 5 casts of Mage Armor per day, then you're either arguing that Mage Armor needs to be a higher spell-level, or that spell-levels need to cost more (because it'd be the same cost for 5 casts of any other spell at that level)
Heck, let's say you put in a specific rule barring Mage Armor in items; They could just make items to replicate whatever the Wizard is doing with their 1st level spells (ideally Utility stuff), for the NORMAL price, and then THEY can cast Mage Armor on the horse; End result, you've got 'spare' Mage Armor spells for the normal per-level cost (but with a lot more steps to work around the DM's dislike of Mage Armor) - Probably not 5, sure, because what Wizard has 5 1st level slots (especially ones he keeps the same every day), but maybe get them to toss in 1k gold of their own for each 2nd level spell-slot you need to finish it off (it's to their benefit; If you don't need the horse a day, they can use the Mage Armor slots for something else and still have the stuff you gave them)

And yeah, Mage Armor does not stack with physical armor; If it did, the wizard should not cast it on themselves, but rather on the Fighter!
Heck, cast it on everyone, if there's enough Arcane Casters (and you might want to give up higher level slots if you don't, I'm not that impressed with 1st and 2nd level spells), since it'd be free AC! (Rather than, as I think it's intended, Armor made out of Magic, meant to be used in place of inconvenient physical armor (rather than in addition to))

On the content level, and I'm sorry for this perhaps not being a thrilling story (it was frustrating enough to get me to come here, but it turns out that avoiding White Wolf games (not enough crunch - that's a personal taste, mind, not a complaint) and the more house-ruled DnD games (too prone to 'strongly disagreeing' with the DM and hating the game by proxy), it turns out if those two are true... You don't find too many 'funny'/creepy/interesting groups, just ones that don't really work out)
Doesn't help I remember at most half of the details and can't be bothered to dive back in to dig them out (in my defense, there's a bunch of stuff written, and only a small portion has anything to do with me or my characters) - And I've a tendency for rambling.
I decided, for whatever reason (I'm pleading temporary insanity), to join a multi-'Book' white-wolf game (the 'best'/worst kind, I'm sure) - specifically as a mage.
While the game had been going on for a bit by the time I joined, the setting still had most of the Masquerade intact, and was basically set in the 'Internet? That will never catch on!' time (they gave an exact date, I forgot it)
Not counting the part where the fairly small town had a half-dozen shops serving as a 'front' for supernatural activity, mind you (l believe the vampires had a tea-shop, a bakery, and a book shop, for example)
I was going for a Cyber mage type idea, planning to build the 'character arc' around bringing 'The Internet!' into popular view (and as a bonus, I figured it'd fit whether he'd succeed or not; An overall success in his 'quest' would mean he helped bring the internet to what it is today, while an overall failure might mean he's part of the reason that even in the 21st century there are still many who are skeptic)
There were a lot of characters, some relevant and some not (the werewolves were doing their own thing in the forest - dunno if they were beating each other UP or OFF, but either way, they were off playing 'Wolf Pack, the RPG' while the rest of us were playing together in the city - while the vampires were so interwoven with the politics AND business, you'd trip over them every-time you went to get groceries)
Most importantly, the other two mages (who supposedly sent out a request for help to my character, through an indirect route since they didn't know me directly) were some flashy 'make explosions and create magical shields' mage, and someone I'm still not convinced was not actually a Vampire in disguise (because they never did Mage-y stuff, not even just studying or meditating, but they did do a lot of influence-building and cold-hearted deals)
Vamp-Mage wasn't generally a big problem, though it usually made me waste some time at the start of every new 'plan' since they of course knew everything that was 'secret to everyone but the mages' (since, supposedly, they were a mage), like whatever plans I had made, and of course they couldn't have someone running around trying to change the town (If the internet catches on, it'd hurt their business, among other things), so we went in circles for a while.
Imagine if someone goes around preaching the virtues of soup kitchens because they are a soup-cooker and want to increase demand, but they pretend to be a well-meaning socialist. Then someone pretending to be a capitalist complains on the basis that it hurts the economy and the wages of farmers, while in reality they are bread-bakers and don't want to shift the focus away from the current bread-dominated market. Now imagine if they tried to throw stats in there too, complete with needing difficulties set by the GM.
I'm fully admitting I was just as crappy as them in that case - but mreh, like I said, it wasn't that big a problem, even if I was getting increasingly tired of it.

But the other Mage, I had a lot of problems with.
When I first started, mostly to get a feel for the 'flow' of the game and to make sure I'd have 'proof' that I'd done it if it became relevant later, I basically went around town doing some shopping.
After eventually 'extracting' myself from the mess I got into in the tea-shop (didn't even know it was a Vampire base OOC, much less IC), pushing my luck a bit with my 'probability-manipulation' magic, I find them essentially doing a magic-show in the town square.
The kind where even a mundane magician, and even more so anyone who knows real magic exists, would be able to tell the tricks are impossible, like decks shuffling themselves in the air and stuff.
I go and basically prod them in the side, go 'Oy, flames-for-brains' (I'm not very good at insulting nicknames) 'How about you stop this before we've got half the town grabbing pitch-forks?', and their response is essentially 'Don't take that tone with me; I outrank you, you should just assume whatever I'm doing is great. Now get lost'
There were various other events too, but it boils down to a lot of 'I'm going around, trying to get social and political things done with my complete lack of any practical social or political stats, and I come across 'Jazzbeard the Flamomancer' throwing his magic around in the open. I call them on it, get told to mind my own business'

I even managed to start arguing with a flesh-golem (not their actual race, but essentially what their brand of Promethean are), because they only tolerated definitions of life that were restricted to organic+Promethean pseudo-organics (rather than the 'A sufficiently advanced AI would essentially be alive' trans-humanist arguments my character of course made, being someone who could turn themselves INTO what's essentially an AI (specifically into energy capable of doing things in 'cyberspace', including a special cyber-wizard-only part of the net, which makes it at least a digital intelligence, if admittedly not artificial, since the body's gone until they go back out and re-create it)

I guess, now that I've written it down, that my main problem is this: It felt like I was discussing politics on the internet, except in more polite tones.
All the same fundamental differences in values, all the same all-around lack of competency in the subjects, and so on.
Rather than, as I had been wanting, a game of pseudo-turn-based Strategy roleplaying, but without the military part of the usual Strategy genre.
Not a 'they tried to convince me I should let my character get raped' story, sure, but it did mean a few months of increasing frustration in what could have been my first 'successful' White Wolf game.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game you wanted sounds fun. I've never seen it work out. :(

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Did a oneshot in WWWRPG. It was the saga of small, Needham Massachusetts based federation WAW, Wrestling Action Wrestling!

NOTE: This post has been re-edited to make more sense. People who seem confused in subsequent posts are reacting to a less-sensical writeup.

So: In WWWRPG, you play a wrestler. That means playing the performer (say, Phil Brooks) and his on-stage persona (CM Punk).

This weeks PCs were Eric T (resident loser, performing a "realistic" ADHD gimmick), good guy Cold Quake, aka Charles Quinn, who'd only been wrestling six months, but one of the fed's owners liked him; and Billy Blastoff, a jetpack wearing crowd favorite whose real name was never revealed.

I try to start episodes before the show, to show how important (or un-important) the actual performers are in getting people to show up.
Pre-show highlights:
-The Jobber, Eric, promoting the show by telling a guy: "I know you said wrestling's fake, but it's not fake! I'm gonna win and I'm gonna be the best."
The guy was so impressed he personally handed out half of Eric's flyers.
-Billy Blastoff posted photos of him riding the bus, earning him the nickname "Billy BusStop".

Since WAW has two owners, both Billy and Cold Quake were told they were winning the title tonight. During the first match (Silicon Valley Girl vs Eric), Cold Quake was told to interfere and make an impact. Not knowing who to attack, he attacked the already defeated Eric. The crowd turned on Quake immediately.
Next was Billy.

Billy Blastoff wrestled in Moonboots, with a jetpack.
He was put against spot-monkey Jules Telsa. Which meant them going to the top rope and jumping on to each other over and over. It was going to be a slog, but he turned it around with a powerslam to the outside (getting a perfect 12-2=10, getting an audience), landing a flip-a-whirl senton (gaining another audience), and hitting a Rocket-Assisted Elbow (getting to max audience).

After some backstage bickering (and all three PCs saying, "I don't care if I win the title! I want it to be a good show!"), the main event was a four way match: Eric vs Cold Quake Vs Silicon Valley Girl vs Billy Blastoff. SVG inserted herself into the match by saying, "If nobody wants to win the drat thing, I won my match!". She was extremely surprised this argument worked.

The Silicon Valley Girl, was savaged by the announcers:
"Her app just tells you if you have a wrestling match. Most people can't use that!" / "Yeah, Mike, but she's got ten million in venture capital! You're jealous!"
Her other standout moment was attacking opponents with "The Disruptor", a steel chair with "2.0" written on it.

Cold Quake (who everyone, including himself, misidentified as Cold Snap) shat the bed during his match, nearly getting fired. As he was about to be eliminated, he had a decision to make: lose the match as he was supposed to, or go into business for himself.
He broke kayfabe and no-sold Billy's Rocket-Assisted Backflip finisher. Quake fought on, attacking a recently defeated Eric (throwing him outside the ring and injuring him).
Cold grabbed a mic and declared:
"The cold creeps in...after the heat dies down."

Billy snatched the mic and responded: "That's how the audience feels about you." The crowd roared with laughter.

In the end, Billy would end the show with SEVEN out of four audience. He defeated both Silicon Valley Girl and Cold Quake. As the show ended, he paraded around his newly won championship, and making his detractors rip their Billy BusStop signs in half.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 14, 2015

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I don't really "get" these wrestling stories but it seems like everyone is having a lot of fun

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I don't really "get" these wrestling stories but it seems like everyone is having a lot of fun

same

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, unlike fantasy (where I can post about the orc warrior slamming the halfling into a firetrap), wrestling has a lot to unpack.

Even Grantland's wrestling dictionary is huge, although it has useful gifs:
http://grantland.com/features/grantland-dictionary-pro-wrestling-edition/.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah, unlike fantasy (where I can post about the orc warrior slamming the halfling into a firetrap), wrestling has a lot to unpack.

Personally it made a lot more sense after someone described it as essentially playing improv-actors with a lot of physical risk and back-room (and often not-back-room) drama and politics.
Before that, my reaction to "Cold Quake shat the bed during his match, nearly getting fired, until he no sold Billy's Rocket-Assisted Backflip" would be something like 'Did they flub their line? I don't know much about Wrestling, but it's some combination of acting and attracting viewers for out-of-ring interviews and stuff. And why do people keep getting away with no-selling? If the script says they get 'Rocket-Assisted Backflip'-ed, then they should get backflipped! Doing otherwise would essentially be 'ad-libbing', which you'd generally only get away with if you're either the right actor, or your change was well liked!'
But the game sounds a lot more sensible, and definitively more fun, if it's about improv and backroom drama (though I'd never be able to play/watch/overhear a game, or wrestling itself for that matter, for nerdy 'fake drama makes me feel real embarrassment' reasons)
Even makes me more open to the idea of Wrestling itself as actually fun, if you're into that kind of thing - rather than being about as interesting as watching 'fencing' involving people swinging rhythmically at each others' blades, like in your average movie without skilled fight-choreographers.
But, yeah, I feel that the summaries make more sense if you think of it as improv where you don't generally like the other 'actor'

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah. Okay. Sure.

For the record, I still have no idea what you're saying.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
The thing is, this isn't really a story; it's a highlight reel without any form of explanation for why they're highlights. I've played World Wide Wrestling and I'm only just getting the gist of what's going on.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'd go into it more but I feel like I've had 11 hours of gaming between Thursday and Sun, and the Monsterhearts writeup took 70 minutes. I'll go back at the WAW writeup with the pruning shears though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Hummingbird James posted:

The thing is, this isn't really a story; it's a highlight reel without any form of explanation for why they're highlights.

After finally catching up with reading through the whole thread, that's pretty much how all of Golden Bee's story posts come across. I think his writing style just comes across as more 'dear diary/blog' and less 'check out this awesome thing that I never expected to happen during the game!', which comes down to personal preference whether you'll find it entertaining to read.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, it's like listening to the greatest hits album of a band as your first experience with them?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
More like watching a TV series entirely through the "previously on - " intros.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Golden Bee's group seems pretty cool, Golden Bee's stories are basically unreadable because it's just a bunch of things that happened without any context or explanation.

e: except the most recent one is good, now that context has been edited in.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 15, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Monster hearts reads like a perfect storm of complicated back stories I know nothing about and high school drama I don't give a poo poo about. Does it basically play out like a slice of life paranormal anime or is there more to it than that?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.

death .cab for qt posted:

Monster hearts reads like a perfect storm of complicated back stories I know nothing about and high school drama I don't give a poo poo about. Does it basically play out like a slice of life paranormal anime or is there more to it than that?

Depends on the players - the 'GM'-equivalent being the most influential, but the players still have a rather large input themselves.
Pretty sure the 'intent' of the developers, though, is to mix 'Paranormal Slice of Life' with 'metaphor for high school'
Like, when the mortal gets rewarded for other people hurting them it's a metaphor for either, depending on the character, someone with a tendency to let themselves get kicked around, or a 'Wounded Gazelle' gambit thing - both rather common sights in High School drama.
But when the were-wolf goes nuts and ends up ripping some guy's throat out? That's werewolves being dangerous supernatural beasts who you really shouldn't mess with.
I've seen two groups do it well, and one do it poorly, and it seemed to me the difference was that the 'bad' group tried too hard to stick to 'metaphor for high school drama' (and tried to co-operate), while both the other groups had death-counts and collateral damage, and plenty of PvP.
But, yeah, ultimately the drama is rather key; If you're not interested in playing, for example, a werewolf that the mortal's 'adopted' as their personal guard (and possible lover), while the fallen is trying to get a witch to cast a curse on you so they can 'steal away' the mortal for their own purposes, then I'm not sure the system's going to be too interesting.
Though playing a Werewolf or a Chosen can mean you don't HAVE to care about drama, if you play them right ('right' here basically being a 'point me at the bad guys, and I'll go punch them' character) - you'll still get caught up in it (see 'Werewolf Guard-Dog' earlier), but you don't need to worry about not screwing everything up (or worry about how to get XP, like some do)

If you mean is there usually a campaign?
Again, depends on the group, but in the three cases I've seen? 'Kinda'
As in, there's been an over-arching plot, but for one it's partly based on where the players gravitate at the start, and for another it usually takes only a small fraction of the play-time (the rest being spent on 'slice of life' and/or drama stuff)

Though, theoretically, you could get a party-based semi-'railroaded' game put together, I think - just gotta have everyone on the same page before the game starts (and make sure the plot-hooks are obvious enough)
You miss out on a lot of what the game supports, it might get a bit repetitive, but it should work as long as you aim for a more DnD-like experience from the start.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

this.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm running a Feng Shui 2 campaign. My players are acting as the entourage for an NPC participating in a invitation-only martial arts tournament, held on a secret island estate, hosted by a representative of the Thunder King, with representatives from the various secret war factions as the other participants. A tense, post-fight banquet ended in a pie fight, instigated by one of my players.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Takuan posted:

I'm running a Feng Shui 2 campaign. My players are acting as the entourage for an NPC participating in a invitation-only martial arts tournament, held on a secret island estate, hosted by a representative of the Thunder King, with representatives from the various secret war factions as the other participants. A tense, post-fight banquet ended in a pie fight, instigated by one of my players.

What the hell was the idea about letting your players have fun and derail your meticulously plotted adventure, as well as allowing them to deflate the gravity of the situation? You call that a proper game?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

aerion111 posted:

I've seen two groups do it well, and one do it poorly, and it seemed to me the difference was that the 'bad' group tried too hard to stick to 'metaphor for high school drama' (and tried to co-operate), while both the other groups had death-counts and collateral damage, and plenty of PvP.
But, yeah, ultimately the drama is rather key; If you're not interested in playing, for example, a werewolf that the mortal's 'adopted' as their personal guard (and possible lover), while the fallen is trying to get a witch to cast a curse on you so they can 'steal away' the mortal for their own purposes, then I'm not sure the system's going to be too interesting.

The guideline I came up with from glancing through the system and reading other stories is that a good Monsterhearts game is Buffy, a bad one is Heroes. There's nothing wrong with Heroes per se, but it's not what the system is meant for.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Takuan posted:

Shang Tsung stands up to announce the next fight between Liu Kang and Scorpion, and promptly gets a banana cream in the face.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Takuan posted:

This reminds me of the story about the end of Dr. Strangelove that never got filmed: the folks in the war room were supposed to have a Stooges-esque pie fight as the nukes started going off. Peter Sellers' improvised final lines were so goofy, though, that Kubrick used that as an abrupt ending instead. You can still see the cart pull of cream pies in the background of the final scenes.

That said, both improv comedy or pie fights can improve any scene, in any game.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Wrong thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Had the best Star Wars EotE game with my group yet. They had broken a captured Moff out of a Rebel POW camp; he is a horrific amalgam of Hannibal Lecter and Eichmann from World War Z out of a Rebel prison because they needed someone with the military acumen to lead their war/fleet against a risen Sith Lord. So he calls them to Ithorr and explains:

quote:

This is the Krytos virus. Harmless to humans, deadly to aliens. The cure is simple, a few day's bath in a bacta tank. Outbreaks are small, and contained well.

I have outfitted several planetary ships with canisters of aerosolized Krytos. We can spray Corsuscant and infect all 4 billion aliens on the surface. The Empire will either bankrupt itself trying to save them, or (more likely) allow them all to die, which will lead to a bloody alien insurrection on a planet where the Imperial's usual tactic of orbital glassing would be ineffective (since it's their own homeworld.

Either way, they would need to commit major resources they don't have, allowing our strike teams to secure the income from Kessel's spice production, the Mon Cal fleet and even the Kuat Drive Yards.

I estimate losses of approximately 30%. [note: he means "about 3 billion people will die on Coruscant] Say the word, and we'll launch immediately.
The party immediately begins fighting, as they are a Gank, a Bothan, a Twi'lek, a droid - and one human (who happens to be a doctor)

They argue first over "what is 3 billion lives vs what this Sith Lord's army could do to the whole galaxy?" and at one point I was fairly certain the Twi'lek was going to attack the officer. They yelled at him and asked him why he would present this plan, and he answered: "Because you're paying me to win the war."

A great session, players fighting with each other over genocide is the best.