Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I just tried this and the widget just bounces back. Are you sure it's the default launcher that does this?
Yes, just tested it on 4.2 AOSP launcher. You have to throw it off the top, in case that wasn't clear. It think it was new for 4.1 but not certain about that.

Edit: Add quote for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I tried every direction but up!

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Just wanted to say I finally got my Transformer Infinity (TF700t) bootloader unlocked with the official Asus apk and I installed Clean Rom Inheritance (CROMI).

Holy poo poo :stare: this thing is like a whole new tablet. Gone is the horrible UI lag and major I/O problems from the Asus stock ROM. This tablet is dreamy now :swoon:

I just did the same and it's ridiculous the difference it makes. I was having loads of UI problems and general stuttering and it's now entirely gone. Everyone having problems with their TF700 should install that thing, it's a world of difference.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm trying to decide between the Nexus 7 32gb (because the 16 isnt in stock at staples), the Samsung Galaxy II, and the Kindle Fire HD. I have $80 credit at staples so I'm trying to stay there for the purchase.

I'd really love to have the nexus 7 16gb, because it's $199 and seems to be the best of these three options. Unfortunately it seems to be permanently out of stock. The 32gb is $249.

The Galaxy II is $199 but is only 8gb, BUT allows microSD for more space.

The Fire HD is 16gb for $199 but is kinda limited by virtue of having a special OS and only allowing purchases from the Amazon store.

Will the galaxy II be as good at general use and gaming as the Nexus 7? Will there be a lot of games that wont be playable on the galaxy II?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Astonishing Wang posted:

Galaxy II? You sure you mean that?

Either way, get the Nexus 7. Google supported, best updates potential, best longevity. I had a Nexus 7 (upgraded to a Nexus 10) and I really liked it. I don't really play too many games, though, I mainly use it as a reader.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ok so Im not sure if this is the place to post this but: My Tf 300t was acting weird and eventually the touch screen wont work at all. Nor will the keyboard. I have wiped and cold booted the tablet and this has only made the situation worse. When I initiate the RCK from the boot menu I get a red triamgle, and a boot to a frozen screen. I have no idea how to flash or root tablets, but is this something I can DIY or should I hand this over to geeksquad? And I apologize if geeksquad is the wrong answer but I have no good tech friends.

Edit: Im using this guide http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-restore-asus-transformer-tf300t-back-to-stock/ and so far stuck on step 10. I have no idea how to use CMD and when type in C:\Users\Eric\Fastboot fastboot devices nothing happens, and infact Im not fairly certain Im doing that right.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 18, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

The Fire HD is 16gb for $199 but is kinda limited by virtue of having a special OS and only allowing purchases from the Amazon store.

Will the galaxy II be as good at general use and gaming as the Nexus 7? Will there be a lot of games that wont be playable on the galaxy II?

Are you talking about a Galaxy S II phone? It's a pretty decent phone but thats a different question from tablets. Everyone will suggest the N7, but as a counted I'd suggest holding the Fire HD in your hand. It has some of the issues you say, but I think it really is a much better piece of hardware so if you have some specific requirements (speaker volume for one) it might be a better solution.

I personally have decided to go as close to all Google/Nexus as possible for my household so I'd personally take the N7 over the others but the Fire HD is a really nice device.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
He's talking about the Galaxy Tab II, which is probably the worst of the three. The Nexus 7 will have a few more games than the Tab because it has a Tegra and there are certain games that are Tegra-only. The 7 also has a better screen. The Fire is on par with the Nexus in terms of screen and specs, but you're locked in to Amazon unless you want to do a bunch of nerd poo poo and deal with all the issues that custom ROMs bring.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I ended up finding a nexus 7 16gb and getting that - thanks for the tips folks!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Rooted my Kindle 8.9 tonight. The hardest part was getting ADB to recognize it; rooting was pretty dang easy. A couple steps and reboots later, I'm rockin' Nova launcher and enjoying the bountiful Play Store. :)

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, after getting fed up waiting for Canada Google Play restocking the Nexus 10, I decided to drive 2.5 hours to Grand Forks North Dakota, to by one from Walmart. After white knuckle driving through blowing snow, I got the last one in stock! This is by far the best device I've ever held. Overly impressed so far. Received the 4.2.1 update right away. No noticeable issues so far. Some people have complained about a light bleed, but I don't see any. Very impressed so far.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Fire is on par with the Nexus in terms of screen and specs, but you're locked in to Amazon unless you want to do a bunch of nerd poo poo and deal with all the issues that custom ROMs bring.

Yes and it's annoying when you have both Google music and amazon music and it's a pain in the rear end to get Google music and books (doable but annoying) working on a kindle fire.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
a) What's the best Android tablet with 4G LTE?
b) Is there something on the horizon that fits the bill? Any chance of a Nexus 10 4G LTE?

Krime fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 21, 2013

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
Does anyone know of any robust cases that will fit a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 4G? I'm looking for something shockproof that my idiot brother won't destroy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is there an app that will show me how much juice my nexus 7 is getting from the charger? I ran into an issue yesterday where I was playing a game with the tablet plugged in, and it died on me because the battery was draining faster than it was charging.

I do have the charger plugged into an extension cord with a splitter so I can sit on the couch while charging the nexus 7 and two nexus 4s at the same time. I want to make sure this isn't idiotic and that they're all getting enough power.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but I figure you tablet owners might be able to answer this better than those who just have smartphones:

When we visit my in-laws, the room we stay in only has one electrical outlet so I'd like to get a travel surge protector that has some built in USB charging ports for charging different Android devices (mostly for my our Galaxy S3s but we also have a Nexus 7 and an original Asus Transformer). It also needs to have regular AC outlets for charging my wife's laptop.

Most of the reviews I've read of these products online have said that the USB charging can be hit or miss with the power output on the USB ports not matching what's advertised. Does anyone have any experience with these and could make any recommendations? Right now I'm looking at this and this.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dayne posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but I figure you tablet owners might be able to answer this better than those who just have smartphones:

When we visit my in-laws, the room we stay in only has one electrical outlet so I'd like to get a travel surge protector that has some built in USB charging ports for charging different Android devices (mostly for my our Galaxy S3s but we also have a Nexus 7 and an original Asus Transformer). It also needs to have regular AC outlets for charging my wife's laptop.

Most of the reviews I've read of these products online have said that the USB charging can be hit or miss with the power output on the USB ports not matching what's advertised. Does anyone have any experience with these and could make any recommendations? Right now I'm looking at this and this.

I've never used them myself, but I've heard good things about the Flipit series by Ideative.

This model is more like what you're looking for (granted pricier than the ones you've already found), but this model is what got them their initial press, since it fits into already-occupied outlets without disruption. The little swivel ones output 1A each, so I'd imagine the fancier multi-plug model is equal.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Was it this thread that somebody posted the link to Out of Print cases? I got the Slaughterhouse-Five one. It feels and looks good around my fresh N7.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If I were the thieving type I don't think there's anything I'd want to steal less than a hardcover of Slaughterhouse Five. So it's got that going for it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Finally got my replacement Nexus10 in today and thankfully this one will actually stay powered up even after not using it for a while.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Are Wal-Mart stores supposed to actually have a display for the Nexus 7 & 10? I went to the one near me because I wanted to see a Nexus 10 in person before pulling the trigger.

Their electronics department was a real trip. The display counter just had a bunch of ratty looking retail boxed digital camera and cellphones haphazardly jammed in there. They had a display case set up for the iPhone 5, but instead of any iPhone 5s, they had 3GS' in there. The whole operation there looked nothing like what you'd expect from a Fortune 10 company, and more like one of those sketchy Chinatown electronics shops where they sell graymarket imported stuff and if you pay cash they don't charge sales tax.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

one of those sketchy Chinatown electronics shops where they sell graymarket imported stuff

Welcome to walmart?

I kid, but sometimes it's pretty bad like you described. I'd imagine >80% of their stuff comes from China

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Are Wal-Mart stores supposed to actually have a display for the Nexus 7 & 10? I went to the one near me because I wanted to see a Nexus 10 in person before pulling the trigger.

Their electronics department was a real trip. The display counter just had a bunch of ratty looking retail boxed digital camera and cellphones haphazardly jammed in there. They had a display case set up for the iPhone 5, but instead of any iPhone 5s, they had 3GS' in there. The whole operation there looked nothing like what you'd expect from a Fortune 10 company, and more like one of those sketchy Chinatown electronics shops where they sell graymarket imported stuff and if you pay cash they don't charge sales tax.

Could you at least touch the tablets? The ones here have locked them all up under those crappy plastic hoods because people kept putting a lock on the tablet so no one could use them.

They're smudged to hell and really badly work too.

Hell, one of the Walmarts here had someone root and ROM a Galaxy tab and they didn't know what to do so they just turned it off and locked it up.

Their iPads have played so much, they've got screen issues and they show the iPhone 4 as an iPod touch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Could you at least touch the tablets? The ones here have locked them all up under those crappy plastic hoods because people kept putting a lock on the tablet so no one could use them.

They're smudged to hell and really badly work too.

Hell, one of the Walmarts here had someone root and ROM a Galaxy tab and they didn't know what to do so they just turned it off and locked it up.

Their iPads have played so much, they've got screen issues and they show the iPhone 4 as an iPod touch.

They had no tablets at all to look at, let alone touch. No Android, no iPads. There was an iPad display case, but it was empty. I had expected to see some sort of Nexus branded display case, which is why I was asking, but there was nothing like that at all.

It occurred to me that I've gone to Google I/O the last three years and registration is coming up in a couple weeks. I should probably hold off on buying the tablet until I know if I'm going this year or not, given there's non-zero odds that they'll just hand them out like candy at the conference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My local staples doesn't have the nexus tablets on display either.

They have one display for the B&N tablets, one display for the Kindle tablets, and then a display for various Asus and other android tablets, but then have a sign for Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 "Not on display."

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I'm getting a lot of audio skipping while trying to mirror my Nexus 10 onto a tv. I've tried two cables, two tvs, two apps (bsplayer and mxplayer), and two different movie files.

I've unlocked and rooted it, but haven't put any roms on it.

anyone else having this issue and found a way to fix it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

seravid posted:

I have the same one and the sleep/wake stopped "working" after a week.

Its been a few weeks since this post

EbolaIvory posted:

I bought this cheap rear end thing
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090WU4G4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Actually isnt bad, And the sleep/wake feature works fine.

Still works great. It is a cheap rear end thing though. But for the money, it works.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/24/leaked-samsung-galaxy-note-8-0/

Supposed specs/pics of the Galaxy Note 8.0. Looks like another consequence of 4.2 dropping the Honeycomb layout is that OEMs can opt for hardware buttons again.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Vagrancy posted:

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/24/leaked-samsung-galaxy-note-8-0/

Supposed specs/pics of the Galaxy Note 8.0. Looks like another consequence of 4.2 dropping the Honeycomb layout is that OEMs can opt for hardware buttons again.

Give me the 10.1 on an LTE network and I'm set. Verizon one is coming soon, apparently.

Krime fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 25, 2013

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Those corners :ohdear:

Hire a loving designer Samsung.

VVVV
edit: Right, good point.

So at this point Apple has basically patented euclidean geometry. Amazing.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

joedevola posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that design was heavily influenced by the legal department. Samsung had no problem designing good-looking corners before the big Apple lawsuit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have the original firmware for the PanDigital Planet R70A200(FR) model? I tried to change it and installed the wrong one without backing it up. All of PanDigitals links are down, I think they where bought out or something.

My local Zellers is going out of business and was selling them for $70 so if push comes to shove I'll just get another one and grab it off there but I would rather not. Could someone help me, my tablet is useless!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is that an....earpiece? :stare:

I love my Note 2 and all, but holy poo poo holding that thing against your head.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
I'm looking into replacing my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a full blown tablet. That is to say, I'm going to use a Nexus 7 as my phone. I don't care how laughably huge it's going to look on my head. I want the most screen real estate possible. Also, I plan on getting the highest data amount possible, as I watch a ton of youtube content out and about. My question is a three parter. 1. Is this feasible? I will be getting a Nexus 7 with a data plan(either T-Mobile or AT&T). Are there apps that can make it work as a phone both on wireless and data? 2. If so, which network should I go with? T-Mobile or AT&T? Both have solid coverage in my area and the places I normally travel to. 3. What is the best way to wipe an old phone for selling purposes? I don't want my information stolen!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Nexus 7 has no earpiece, and the microphones are on the back and side, because it's not a telephone. So not only will you look especially dumb holding it to your ear, it will not even function the way you think it would.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to clarify (and it sounds like you do realise this, but just to make sure), the N7 3G will not function as a phone except via VOIP. It is possible (and quite easy, in fact) to get SMS working on it, but voice telephony is not currently possible. There is a very decent chance that it will never work simply because not many people are working on it and it seems like it would require some kind of radio hack. Right now it's not even clear if the hardware is wired up to make it possible at all.

If you're fine using VOIP (lose data for a second = goodbye call) and a headset then it'll work. Honestly I think it's a terrible idea, but mostly just from a practicality point of view.

Edit:

Socrates16 posted:

3. What is the best way to wipe an old phone for selling purposes? I don't want my information stolen!
There should be a factory reset option on the phone, on AOSP it is under Settings -> Backup & Reset but other OEMs may have moved it. Note that this doesn't reset the SD Card so be sure to delete stuff from there if you're not removing the card (via a computer or whatever). This also applies when the "SD card" is part of internal memory, you'll need to delete stuff from there yourself.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 25, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

I'm looking into replacing my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a full blown tablet. That is to say, I'm going to use a Nexus 7 as my phone. I don't care how laughably huge it's going to look on my head. I want the most screen real estate possible. Also, I plan on getting the highest data amount possible, as I watch a ton of youtube content out and about. My question is a three parter. 1. Is this feasible? I will be getting a Nexus 7 with a data plan(either T-Mobile or AT&T). Are there apps that can make it work as a phone both on wireless and data? 2. If so, which network should I go with? T-Mobile or AT&T? Both have solid coverage in my area and the places I normally travel to. 3. What is the best way to wipe an old phone for selling purposes? I don't want my information stolen!

This guy wrote up a detailed report of the pros and cons of doing exactly this.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Socrates16 posted:

How much time do you spend in an average day making phone calls? Are you planning on doing VoIP or Skype? Using a headset or holding the tablet in front of you?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

joedevola posted:

Nature is their designer. Nature :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Nature is their designer. Nature :downs:
It's Designed for Humans. Blind ones, presumably.