Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Taiwan #1 guy is at the Taipei Game Show if anyone is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

The Taiwan #1 guy is at the Taipei Game Show if anyone is going.
Oh cool, I was already considering going since apparently there's word HTC Vive'll be on show, so it'd be cool to congratulate that dude too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9V64h4sn4A

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I asked about traveling to Taiwan a couple weeks ago and got some good responses (thanks, guys). Looks like we'll be traveling around on buses mostly, but we'll give the Ocean Line TRA a try, too :)

Meant to follow up, but couldn't get online a few days and, well, looks like this thread turns into a shitstorm whenever Pandemonium posts? Anyway:

We arrive in Taipei on the 8th. What are some good areas in the city to get a room for two? Assuming we want to check out the parts of town that don't go empty during the holiday.

Also, we fly into Taoyuan on the 8th at 11:30pm. How much of a hassle would it likely be to find transport into the city at such a time and day?

USDA Choice posted:

Eat some beef noodles and stinky tofu, maybe a scallion pancake. What kind of stuff/activities are you into?

This was a great tip because we like trying out various foods, especially street stuff.

Stinky tofu was definitely on the to-do list. Are these the kinds of things that are best tried from street vendors? Also, are the "beef noodles" the same as what I've seen called "Taiwanese beefsteak" elsewhere? I've heard it's terrible and wonderful at the same time.

To answer your question, we mostly like walking around cities just to get the general vibe(s) of their neighborhoods, trying out local foods, hitting up eating/drinking/coffee places that are popular with locals (especially if it's unique to an area or not the hugest chain ever). I like historical anything, but she gets bored of that real quick. Mostly low-key stuff. We're also cool with doing stereotypically "touristy" stuff like major sites, museums, etc. because we have no illusions of being citizen-of-the-world types, but those aren't a priority.

Like, are there any places in Taipei (or Kaohsiung or Hualien, since we'll swing by there anyway) you'd really want to show to a friend from your home country visiting Taiwan for the first time?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Kaohsiung: Lotus pond is a nice place. The british consulate is quite a touristy place but has a pretty cool history and view. The love river is nice at night. Monkey mountain is great for a hike. A big MRT stop with a bunch of fancy glass, Formosa Boulevard Station. Pier 2 is a very cool art area with restaurants and lots of things to see.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

thegoat posted:

Kaohsiung: Lotus pond is a nice place. The british consulate is quite a touristy place but has a pretty cool history and view. The love river is nice at night. Monkey mountain is great for a hike. A big MRT stop with a bunch of fancy glass, Formosa Boulevard Station. Pier 2 is a very cool art area with restaurants and lots of things to see.

The MRT station is famous because it's been in quite a few movies and television dramas, according to my 台灣人 friends. We made a detour specifically to go see it when we went to Kaohsiung for Dragon Boat Festival.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thegoat posted:

Pier 2 is a very cool art area with restaurants and lots of things to see.
As someone who's only visited Kaohsiung briefly, yeah Pier 2 is super cool.

In Taipei, I'd say Longshan Temple and the surrounding area would be neat to walk around, including visiting the restored Bopiliao old street and Snake Alley. Get an EasyCard and ride around the city on YouBikes, if you can successfully register for the rentals at least. And take the Maokong Gondola up to the various tea houses around evening time, it's a really great view from up there at night. In terms of museums, depending on the exhibitions the Taipei Fine Arts Museum and Museum of Modern Art can be really cool, and if you want the Big Cultural Museum experience obviously the National Palace Museum. There are a few odder museums around town that might be cool too, including the Museum of World Religions, the Lin Liu-Hsin Puppet Museum, and the Miniatures Museum of Taiwan.

Although if you're coming in on the 8th, prepare for a couple of days of gently caress all to do, because a bunch of places will likely be closed for the first couple of days of Chinese New Year at least. And have fun with the traffic.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Mr. Belpit posted:

Also, we fly into Taoyuan on the 8th at 11:30pm. How much of a hassle would it likely be to find transport into the city at such a time and day?

You miiiiiiight be able to catch a bus to the city, but I wanna say that they stop at midnight. I could be wrong, or they could've added some more since the last time I travelled from TPE.

If not, there are taxis available 24 hrs. Gonna cost you around ~20ish USD or so

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Mr. Belpit posted:

I've come in at midnight and have gotten a bus as late as 1 AM. The main issue was getting transport from Taipei Main Station. One time I rode a YouBike for an hour down to my dorm at NCCU, and another time I just walked to around Gonggguan and slept in a 7-11 until the buses started up at 5:45.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

kenner116 posted:

I've come in at midnight and have gotten a bus as late as 1 AM. The main issue was getting transport from Taipei Main Station. One time I rode a YouBike for an hour down to my dorm at NCCU, and another time I just walked to around Gonggguan and slept in a 7-11 until the buses started up at 5:45.

Are taxis out of your budget? Sleeping in a 7-11 seems so unnecessary when taxis here are abundant and cheap.

The bike ride home seems like a good idea, though.

You guys in Taipei are welcome for the good weather Sunday, by the way. My friend said it had been a typical rainy Taipei winter for like three weeks prior to Sunday. I guess brought up some of that Taiwan-famous Taichung yangguang.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Welcome back!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Sleeping in a 7-11 seems so unnecessary when taxis here are abundant and cheap.
Yeah and everyone knows McDonald's is the real nap hut anyway.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I saw that Nazi guy chilling in a Mosburger at like 4am.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
How was your weekend up in the smoke Pandemonium?

You should know much discussion was had on Saturday night over beers and games and general fun hoping that you'd join the LINE group and meet some/any/one of us in Ximen.

There were even three very bilingual girls who'd have been impressed with your Chinese and answered any tricky questions while kicking my rear end at brawl(something).

(no pics, sorry)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Brawlholler, I think it was.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

url posted:

How was your weekend up in the smoke Pandemonium?

You should know much discussion was had on Saturday night over beers and games and general fun hoping that you'd join the LINE group and meet some/any/one of us in Ximen.

There were even three very bilingual girls who'd have been impressed with your Chinese and answered any tricky questions while kicking my rear end at brawl(something).

(no pics, sorry)

Sorry about that, bro. I was up for a weiya Saturday night, then drinks with some friends who have recently moved back after that. Then Sunday I hung out with my Taichung friend who moved to Taipei recently. Didn't have time to fit in goons, sorry. I'll be moving up there soon and taking some people's jorbs, though, so don't worry.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I saw that Nazi guy chilling in a Mosburger at like 4am.

That guy is always coming his greasy nazi-style hair and hanging out in weird places.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Shoutout to everyone giving me som awesome tips. Surprisingly, a whole hell of a lot of them aren't on any must-see/do lists I've found online, and they're almost all up our alley. Kaohsiung's Pier 2 looks like it's totally our kinda jam. Everyone's answers to my posts have rocked and you're all p awesome.

Also glad to learn that getting from the airport to Taipei might not be as crazy impossible as I'd feared.

kenner116 posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah and everyone knows McDonald's is the real nap hut anyway.

I'd totally do stuff like this if I were traveling alone, but there's no way in hell the lady would be down for these.

Actually, she'd maybe do the bike rental option if we weren't carrying luggage...

EDIT: Oh, way back when I first started asking stupid questions, someone mentioned a scenic TRA "Ocean Line" from Kaohsiung to Hualien, but I can't find any info on that. Does it go by some other name officially?

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 4, 2016

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Belpit posted:

EDIT: Oh, way back when I first started asking stupid questions, someone mentioned a scenic TRA "Ocean Line" from Kaohsiung to Hualien, but I can't find any info on that. Does it go by some other name officially?

Coast Line

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

Sorry about that, bro. I was up for a weiya Saturday night, then drinks with some friends who have recently moved back after that. Then Sunday I hung out with my Taichung friend who moved to Taipei recently. Didn't have time to fit in goons, sorry. I'll be moving up there soon and taking some people's jorbs, though, so don't worry.

No worries, just would have been cool is all.
There's always a next time.

Chantilly Say posted:

Brawlholler, I think it was.

Chicken Dinner

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Brawlhalla, as in Valhalla.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Mr. Belpit posted:

Shoutout to everyone giving me som awesome tips. Surprisingly, a whole hell of a lot of them aren't on any must-see/do lists I've found online, and they're almost all up our alley. Kaohsiung's Pier 2 looks like it's totally our kinda jam. Everyone's answers to my posts have rocked and you're all p awesome.

Also glad to learn that getting from the airport to Taipei might not be as crazy impossible as I'd feared.

It's not scary at all. Everything in the airport is labeled in English and the bus routes all have numbers and English names. When you walk out of the baggage area you'll walk out into the large receiving area. Head right and walk all the way to the end of the room, then take the right hallway towards the buses. There should be plenty of signs.

You'll want to get onto a bus that either takes you to Taipei Main Station, or any other bus that takes you close to your hotel. Main Station is probably your best bet (especially for getting a cab after), but some of the buses will take you directly to large hotels like the Howard Plaza. I know that one offhand because I lived near it, so I would take a bus that made a stop there. There may be other buses that take you closer to where you will be staying. However, given how cheap it is to take a cab across the city and the fact that you will be getting into the city at like 1 AM on Chinese New Year, it might be best to go straight to Main Station so you're guaranteed a cab.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
新年快樂! Happy New Year everyone.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Happy earthquake everyone!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Hi guys! Some friends and I are going to Taiwan for a couple weeks in November. The majority of our time will probably be spent in Kaohsiung, but we are up to travel some of course. I've read the OP. Although I do prefer beer (find me in the homebrew thread!) I'm also glad to hear whisky/scotch is so cheap. You can really just drink outside and on the street no problem?

I for certain do not need a passport if going there for tourism for 2 weeks as a US citizen with a passport?

What's the best airline to take to get there? I don't need super comfort, just good basic overall value I guess? I flew Cathay Pacific one time to Hong Kong a couple years ago and it was kind of meh. They were very friendly and hospitable, maybe it's the 15 hour flight in coach speaking but I feel like there's probably a better choice I don't know about.

The OP mentioned Kaohsiung doesn't have as much westernized restaurants as Taipei. I'm fine with whatever but the wife and other friends might not be up for it. Any heads up in this area? We have a pretty authentic restaurant "Taiwan Noodle" here in Albany, NY and I love everything they make. Tipping really not a thing here across the board?

My wife and I speak quasi-fluent zhongwen but my character recognition skills are spotty with simplified, and basically non-existent with traditional. How hard of a time and I going to have there, and any suggestions? I have Pleco OCR and all that of course. Is there anywhere you'd recommend someone who has some skill with the language visit that you wouldn't recommend to a non-speaker? Trying to selfishly leverage my work of learning the language for 5 years to benefit me as much as possible, although I really don't know how else it will other than occasionally getting praised on broken chinese, haha. So skip this question I guess ha.

Is US currency accepted at all or should I just focus on having their currency at all times? Free currency exchange at the airport or wait for the hotel?

We'll be staying at 85 sky tower which probably immediately labels me as a dumb tourist? I think this was the building noted in the OP as being one of the ostentatious building that don't fit the rest of the city. Any words on this hotel?

I know this is a bombardment of basically incoherent questions but I'm pretty excited and I'll take any responses gratefully. Any suggestions on things I have to consume, see, or visit welcome. We're an active bunch of friends so stuff like hiking is great. Any beach worth going to?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

yamdankee posted:

Hi guys! Some friends and I are going to Taiwan for a couple weeks in November. The majority of our time will probably be spent in Kaohsiung, but we are up to travel some of course. I've read the OP. Although I do prefer beer (find me in the homebrew thread!) I'm also glad to hear whisky/scotch is so cheap. You can really just drink outside and on the street no problem?

Yes, everything is cheap and yes you can drink on the street. You'll look super trashy if you walk around with open bottles though. There's a growing microbrew scene in Taiwan and there are lots of great beers to try, so knock yourself out.

quote:

I for certain do not need a passport if going there for tourism for 2 weeks as a US citizen with a passport?

I assume that's a typo in this sentence. You'll need a passport, you won't need to apply for a visa ahead of time.

quote:

What's the best airline to take to get there? I don't need super comfort, just good basic overall value I guess? I flew Cathay Pacific one time to Hong Kong a couple years ago and it was kind of meh. They were very friendly and hospitable, maybe it's the 15 hour flight in coach speaking but I feel like there's probably a better choice I don't know about.

China Air is pretty good, but unless you're flying first class it's all basically the same. Pick whichever one is cheapest/fastest.

quote:

The OP mentioned Kaohsiung doesn't have as much westernized restaurants as Taipei. I'm fine with whatever but the wife and other friends might not be up for it. Any heads up in this area? We have a pretty authentic restaurant "Taiwan Noodle" here in Albany, NY and I love everything they make. Tipping really not a thing here across the board?

There are plenty of McDonald's in KaoHsiung if it comes down to it. Besides, Taiwanese food isn't exactly exotic. Tipping is not a thing, though some of the fancier restaurants have started implementing a 10% service charge on top of the bill.

quote:

My wife and I speak quasi-fluent zhongwen but my character recognition skills are spotty with simplified, and basically non-existent with traditional. How hard of a time and I going to have there, and any suggestions? I have Pleco OCR and all that of course. Is there anywhere you'd recommend someone who has some skill with the language visit that you wouldn't recommend to a non-speaker? Trying to selfishly leverage my work of learning the language for 5 years to benefit me as much as possible, although I really don't know how else it will other than occasionally getting praised on broken chinese, haha. So skip this question I guess ha.

The English level in Taiwan is fairly high and everything of importance will be marked in Chinese and English (MRT signs, street signs, buses, etc). Obviously the English level will be better in the north than in the south, but if you can say a few things in Chinese everyone will be super impressed and will bend over backwards to help you. Don't stress about it.

quote:

Is US currency accepted at all or should I just focus on having their currency at all times? Free currency exchange at the airport or wait for the hotel?

Local currency only, exchange at the airport or the bank, the exchange fee is like a couple of dollars.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

though some of the fancier restaurants have started implementing a 10% service charge on top of the bill.

You should expect a 10% service charge at any restaurant nicer than a mom and pop or hole in the wall.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Everyone's advice has been awesome so far and our trip in Taiwan's been a blast. Quick question, though; is there really no direct bus/train connection from Kaohsiung to Hualien besides the slow Coast Line? Or is connecting through Taitung really my best option?

edit: Just want to make sure I'm not missing something; the English train site's a little unweildy and there's apparently no centralized site for intercity buses...

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 16, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mr. Belpit posted:

Everyone's advice has been awesome so far and our trip in Taiwan's been a blast. Quick question, though; is there really no direct bus/train connection from Kaohsiung to Hualien besides the slow Coast Line? Or is connecting through Taitung really my best option?

edit: Just want to make sure I'm not missing something; the English train site's a little unweildy and there's apparently no centralized site for intercity buses...

http://www.taiwanbus.tw/Express.aspx?Lang=En

It's mostly time tables and the sort, you can't actually buy tickets via this website I think. You have to realize the intercity buses are not government owned, but private companies. So you'll have to go to that company's ticket counter to be sure. But generally there are always at least one or two bus companies running the route you want to take.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
My CELTA course begins next week, and I am still looking at my options post-CELTA. Obviously Taiwan is near the top of the list!

But I have some questions about teaching English in general, and I can't find the thread for that. Can someone point me towards it?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

glowing-fish posted:

My CELTA course begins next week, and I am still looking at my options post-CELTA. Obviously Taiwan is near the top of the list!

But I have some questions about teaching English in general, and I can't find the thread for that. Can someone point me towards it?

I think that thread died? Not sure, but there's plenty of people happy to answer questions about teaching English. But just be aware that Taiwan doesn't give a flying gently caress about having a CELTA. All you need is a degree.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think that thread died? Not sure, but there's plenty of people happy to answer questions about teaching English. But just be aware that Taiwan doesn't give a flying gently caress about having a CELTA. All you need is a degree.

I've been told, but I am actually a professional educator who wants to teach overseas as a way to build up experience, not just a way to finance a vacation. So I want a job that isn't just a buxiban.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not sure a CELTA helps with that though. I was under the impression jobs that weren't in buxibans cared more about being a certified teacher in your home country and/or having a masters because that's what allowed them to give you a work permit. The CELTA would help with fundamentals I guess but it seems like you could save yourself a grand or more if you are already credentialed. And honestly you're not going to learn much from a four week course if you already have a degree in education.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not sure a CELTA helps with that though. I was under the impression jobs that weren't in buxibans cared more about being a certified teacher in your home country and/or having a masters because that's what allowed them to give you a work permit. The CELTA would help with fundamentals I guess but it seems like you could save yourself a grand or more if you are already credentialed. And honestly you're not going to learn much from a four week course if you already have a degree in education.

Well, this is kind of where I would have to get into an entire E/N thread about my life. Suffice to say, given my employment and educational history, and my future goals, I thought that going to a CELTA course would be a quick and cheap way to get a credential.

But that is why I was asking specifically for a thread about teaching English in other countries, because I had some questions that weren't Taiwan specific.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

glowing-fish posted:

Well, this is kind of where I would have to get into an entire E/N thread about my life. Suffice to say, given my employment and educational history, and my future goals, I thought that going to a CELTA course would be a quick and cheap way to get a credential.

But that is why I was asking specifically for a thread about teaching English in other countries, because I had some questions that weren't Taiwan specific.

Well, I can clarify on the credentials bits.

A CELTA basically only matters in Thailand. In Thailand, you'll need both the CELTA or equivalent and a BA/BS.

In Taiwan, to work in a private school or a buxiban, you must have a BA/BS. To work in a government school, you need a degree in education and to be certified to teach in your home country. A CELTA does not meet this criteria.

In Korea and Japan, you will have to have a BA/BS. A CELTA will likely get you a bump in pay.

A CELTA, despite advertising, is not a shortcut to getting credentialed and is never going to be enough to qualify for a work permit if you are lacking a BA/BS. In places where a teaching certificate from your home country are required and you only have a BA/BS, the CELTA will not fill in the gap so to speak.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302316&perpage=40&pagenumber=33

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Having a look around at the private schools hiring here in Taiwan at the moment, even the private schools these days want someone with proper teaching certification in their home country. At least one school straight up said they will hire, but they won't sponsor your ARC if you're not a state-certified teacher and your pay and benefits will be less.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

Having a look around at the private schools hiring here in Taiwan at the moment, even the private schools these days want someone with proper teaching certification in their home country. At least one school straight up said they will hire, but they won't sponsor your ARC if you're not a state-certified teacher and your pay and benefits will be less.

There are/were a couple of legal loopholes that some of the private schools had some luck exploiting, but this often resulted in teachers hiding in the gym when inspectors came through checking work permits. My guess is that things have tightened up a bit in the last two years.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Just marry one of your coworkers and then you won't need a work permit at all. Work anywhere you want!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Or be here long enough to get one anyway :suicide:

I'll need to pick one up in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

Or be here long enough to get one anyway :suicide:

I'll need to pick one up in November.

I still haven't decided if I want to stay here long enough to get one, but it's looking more and more like a sensible alternative to going back stateside and doing....call centers?