Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isn't the last "big" game any home video game console computer system gets always a FIFA or NHL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The one thing I really dislike about switching over to PC gaming is having to use Origin if I want to ever play a quality sports game ever again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

Isn't the last "big" game any home video game console computer system gets always a FIFA or NHL?

wiiu got zelda

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Used to be true, the answer is now skylanders.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

wiiu got zelda

Oh the Wii U is dead?

Ryoga posted:

Used to be true, the answer is now skylanders.

Are they really "big" games? I always thought they were pretty much shovel-ware.

I just remembered the Sony Play Station 2 home computer system managed to get a version of Mercenaries 2 and sometimes I feel like buying a copy just to see how well it's made but then again, nah.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh the Wii U is dead?

Well they stopped manufacturing new ones and there basically ain't any new games planned past about June of this year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fishmech posted:

Well they stopped manufacturing new ones and there basically ain't any new games planned past about June of this year.

I guess I'm late to that train again.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just remembered the Sony Play Station 2 home computer system managed to get a version of Mercenaries 2 and sometimes I feel like buying a copy just to see how well it's made but then again, nah.

I bought the PS2 version of Mercenaries 2 before I had a 360 and I do not recommend playing it friend

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

I bought the PS2 version of Mercenaries 2 before I had a 360 and I do not recommend playing it friend

I'd read your reply but I can't move my eyes from the left side of the video display unit for some weird reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

cerhio posted:

Wow I had no idea they were still making them up until recently. My last Fifa was 08 lol

EA was still making updated versions of their sports games for PS1 well into the 2000's. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still making them for PS2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

EA was still making updated versions of their sports games for PS1 well into the 2000's. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still making them for PS2.

The last PS2 game is the Pro Evolution Soccer series actually. It is/was basically made for the South American market.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The one thing I really dislike about switching over to PC gaming is having to use Origin if I want to ever play a quality sports game ever again.

Origin is fine now, unless you're one of those goobers who also gets all "mah resources!" every time they see Steam's tray icon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheScott2K posted:

Origin is fine now, unless you're one of those goobers who also gets all "mah resources!" every time they see Steam's tray icon.

I'm a Steam controller goober, so if I can use that, then I guess I don't mind.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Went down to the local used games store and picked up loose discs of GTA IV, Episodes from LC, Bad Company 2, and Ridge Racer 6 for 10bux. Ridge Racer is the only one I'd never played before and man is it fun. My only previous experience with the series was the first on PSX.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there any reason to own a 360 anymore or should I just get an Xbone? I had a 360 but sold it. I still have some games for it that I miss playing however.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there any reason to own a 360 anymore or should I just get an Xbone? I had a 360 but sold it. I still have some games for it that I miss playing however.

If the games you miss playing are on the BC list then I say go for Bone. There are many of them on said list nowadays.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NikkolasKing posted:

Here's the list of 360 games currently compatible with the Xbox One: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games_compatible_with_Xbox_One

Anything that's not on the list yet, you'll either need to wait and see if it later becomes compatible, or just use a 360 if you want to play it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Xbox360 consoles are cheap and games are plentiful and at that wonderful "generation is over but collectors don't give a gently caress yet" price point. Get one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've always had issues with Skyrim freezing on both my 360s, I added a 500gb drive to the arcade and it no longer freezes. It's also quieter and loads a tiny bit faster. The other 360 is a 250gb, and it still freezes more often than I think it should, so it isn't just free space. Just general trivia.

Anyone here used a 360 external SSD on a computer? I assume once you remove the plastic case is just a standard SSD.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

NikkolasKing posted:

If the games you miss playing use Kinect or other peripheral controllers (Rock Band, DJ Hero, etc) then you should get the 360 for those since they will likely never come to XB1 backwards compatibility. Everything else, there's a chance that they make it over to BC at some point eventually.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ixnay posted:

If the games you miss playing use Kinect or other peripheral controllers (Rock Band, DJ Hero, etc) then you should get the 360 for those since they will likely never come to XB1 backwards compatibility. Everything else, there's a chance that they make it over to BC at some point eventually.

Well the two games I was thinking of - Fable II and Blue Dragon (it's fun, sue me) - are already on the BC list. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money to get the XB1. I already have a PS4 for current gen games that I really want like Mass Effect or whatever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: if you don't have a 360 and :laffo: if you are even considering an Xbox 1.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Buy an Xbox One, if you want to.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Buying an Xbox One is a good idea if you want to play Xbox One games. The BC thing is more of a bonus, and only covers some titles. A lot of titles will never be BC for various reasons. Xbox 360 consoles are cheap as gently caress, of you want to play 360 games just buy one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried to pick up Battlefield 3 again because I was home sick and after playing for like thirty minutes I realized why I'd not finished it in the first place :( There's no humour and the gameplay is pretty boring and the Battlefield Bad Companies were just so much better.

Multiplayer in 3 and 4 were fine but yeah as single player experiences they were loving awful. Super serious with garbage stories and basically just bad versions of Call of Duty. The Bad Company games were the only Battlefields with even a little bit passable single player.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: if you don't have a 360 and :laffo: if you are even considering an Xbox 1.

Well if all I want to play is gears of war, halo (remastered sounds dope,) red dead and rare replay games...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wormil posted:

I've always had issues with Skyrim freezing on both my 360s, I added a 500gb drive to the arcade and it no longer freezes. It's also quieter and loads a tiny bit faster. The other 360 is a 250gb, and it still freezes more often than I think it should, so it isn't just free space. Just general trivia.

Anyone here used a 360 external SSD on a computer? I assume once you remove the plastic case is just a standard SSD.

I don't know what external SSD you're talking about, but since the 360 only has USB 2.0 the "SSD" is probably just a normal flash drive. Since none of the real speed benefits of an SSD matter over a slow USB 2.0 link which can only do about 50 megabytes a second at best.

It'd be a different story if you could put a real SSD inside the 360, since it would have a normal SATA bus to run on, but the 360's still require either official hard drives or very similar unofficial hard drives with the firmware mod on them to work. At least without modding the console itself.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
edit; nm, I don't know what I'm talking about.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 21, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wormil posted:

I didn't mean to say external, I was talking about the 500 GB "media hard drive" which to my knowledge is an SSD inside a plastic case. The external drives on earlier 360s were SSD and that's probably what was on my mind.

Wait what

What is it you think "SSD" means?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wormil posted:

I didn't mean to say external, I was talking about the 500 GB "media hard drive" which to my knowledge is an SSD inside a plastic case. The external drives on earlier 360s were SSD and that's probably what was on my mind. To clarify, I'm talking about hard drives, not thumb drives. I need to add storage to my PC and the 500gb MS drives are inexpensive. Just wondering if anyone here has popped one open and done that. I found discussion about it on other forums but no follow up.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/hard-drives/500gb-hard-drive

Uh, no, that's just a plain old hard drive. Microsoft has never sold SSDs for the Xbox 360, it's all been platter drives plus some officially branded USB flash drives when they introduced the ability to use USB media for extra storage (which originally was limited to 8 GB per device, then 32 GB, then became unlimited iirc). If you crack open either the old style external or new style internal drive cases, what you find inside them is a standard 2.5 inch SATA hard drive, usually made by Western Digital, as you would use in a laptop.

A 500 GB SSD would be far more expensive, the cheapest 500 GB SSDs out there right now are still like $120 each, and they were up above $300 not that long ago. And if you go back like 5 or 6 years to when the 360 was at its height and they first brought out 500 GB drives for the 360, you'd have to pay over $1000 to get 500 GB of storage on SSD.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Also holy poo poo don't spend money on an SSD for a god drat 360

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think he's just confusing SSD with 2.5" HDDs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My bad, I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about. I thought they used ssds.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Hey thread. I have my 360 hooked up through HDMI to my computer monitor and am looking for ways to use my headphones to get audio out. I have this weird thing that came with my 360:

Which allows for a 3.5mm connection for left and right audio channels. My headphones have a 3.5mm jack, and if I plug them in to one side or the other I get audio from the corresponding ear. I would prefer to have audio coming out both sides though, even if it's not in stereo, so I picked up this thing from somewhere that I can't remember now:

But plugging the single 3.5mm headphone jack into that female port while the two males are plugged into the first thing give me no audio at all. Anyone have any ideas? If it's not really possible unless I spend more than 15 or 20 bucks then I'll just deal with getting audio from either the left or right channel. I play almost exclusively on PC these days so I don't see myself paying the 360 much or at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Motherfucker are you plugging headphones straight into RCA ports?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

TheScott2K posted:

Motherfucker are you plugging headphones straight into RCA ports?

I don't know??? As you can probably tell due to me calling whatever those pieces of equipment are "things" instead of by their real name, I have no idea what I'm doing, which is why I'm asking in this thread. Share your knowledge with me TheScott2K.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

owl_pellet posted:

Hey thread. I have my 360 hooked up through HDMI to my computer monitor and am looking for ways to use my headphones to get audio out. I have this weird thing that came with my 360:

Which allows for a 3.5mm connection for left and right audio channels. My headphones have a 3.5mm jack, and if I plug them in to one side or the other I get audio from the corresponding ear. I would prefer to have audio coming out both sides though, even if it's not in stereo, so I picked up this thing from somewhere that I can't remember now:

But plugging the single 3.5mm headphone jack into that female port while the two males are plugged into the first thing give me no audio at all. Anyone have any ideas? If it's not really possible unless I spend more than 15 or 20 bucks then I'll just deal with getting audio from either the left or right channel. I play almost exclusively on PC these days so I don't see myself paying the 360 much or at all.

Those are RCA jacks, what you want is this: https://www.amazon.com/30S1-01260-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-Connector/dp/B000I23TTE
The red jack is for the right audio channel, the white jack is the left audio channel. That adapter connects them both into a single headphone jack with both audio channels.

You shouldn't have been plugging a headphone plug into them, you've likely hosed up the ports a bit, though it shouldn't matter too much when you've got proper stuff plugged in.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Fantastic, thank you so much!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does your monitor not have an audio out? That's how I get the audio after going 360 to monitor via HDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I don't believe so. I can see one port each of VGA, DVI, and HDMI. This is what I have:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

• Locked thread