Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have 35 hours of game time on my save and I only have two old souls and I am having a blast just getting all the weapons I use to +9. This game is fantastic.

I have over 60 with only two old souls, hahah. I got really into Bell Tower PvP for a chunk of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Finally got the pickaxe. That was an exercise in frustration.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Jesus Christ, do those ironclad dudes in the Iron Keep even play by the same rules or do they give no fucks about stamina?

This is like the first area in a while that actually has hit the extinction limit for me, the other being the Bastille. I don't know if I should hate this area or love it.

e: actually I don't, because those drat archers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I upgraded my Tower Shield to +10 because it hits almost as hard as a +10 mace so you can save durability!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I have over 60 with only two old souls, hahah. I got really into Bell Tower PvP for a chunk of it.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. Bellbroing is so much fun. :3:

Sober posted:

Jesus Christ, do those ironclad dudes in the Iron Keep even play by the same rules or do they give no fucks about stamina?

This is like the first area in a while that actually has hit the extinction limit for me, the other being the Bastille. I don't know if I should hate this area or love it.

Use a mace or club.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've been using scorpion lady to farm for sun medals and has anybody else noticed that the ambient audio for this area sometimes abruptly stops and starts again?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cardboard Box posted:

I've been using scorpion lady to farm for sun medals and has anybody else noticed that the ambient audio for this area sometimes abruptly stops and starts again?

Happens everywhere with a lot of stuff.

It's weird then you stop hearing it altogether.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
godddamn

decently far into my game (past sinner) I just now realized that you open up illusory walls by pressing A, instead of attacking like in DeS

I had started thinking there was some big joke with people upvoting dozens of fake illusory wall messages to get people to ware down their weapon durability. so much poo poo I must have missed. :aaaaa:

goddamn.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

there actually is a bunch of upvoted fake illusory wall messages, however

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Am I doing this right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I fought that spider thing. I think I had more fun with the physics on her head than I did with the rest of the entire area because gently caress that map. Also I found out that the drangelic sword+5 and bastardsword+10 have the same attack power. Then my game crashed.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I finally stopped PvPing to finish the chore of beating the game. The Old Iron King is a good, DS1 style boss. Fairly difficult and nothing stupid to attribute as the only thing killing you, just plain old "death by making mistakes". I missed you, Dark Souls :allears:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Demon's Great Hammer is the most hilarious weapon for me. Not a whole lot of things can withstand a two-handed R2 smash, much less keep standing from it. It's also the only weapon I can consistently smash crystal geckos with. *WHAM*

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I just got summoned to fight the scorpion lady by a guy with half his health, presumably he didn't have the ring of binding.

he died in one hit.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Can't summon for co-op if you're hollow, so the guy was a human with half of his health missing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oh right I forgot about that hahah. I don't know what he was doing then. maybe he used an effigy and didn't refill his health.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Getting summoned and clearing the area refills estus and spell charges. I've had failed attempts on coop where I use all my healing and spells thinking I'll get them back, the host dies, and I get kicked back to the boss entrance with no healing. It sucks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What are the best FTH-scaling weapons (when lightning-infused) that aren't greatswords, does anyone know? I am not a fan of greatswords in PvP.

e; on another note, for people who hate UGSes, I will recommend the Pursuer's UGS (traded from Straid). The moveset is way better than the normal UGS moveset.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 1, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

there actually is a bunch of upvoted fake illusory wall messages, however

A bunch? It's roughly 90% of Illusion ahead messages. Because "hurr dats funney!"

edit: IT KEEPS HAPPENING

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Just had a weird experience with what I guess was a hacker? I'm putting my sign down in front of SD because it's funny poisoning him with my powerstanced scorpion stinger and estoc (why you can poison a guy made out of iron and fire but not a lion dude, I'll never know). I get summoned and the host goes in and kills the boss in a single hit which showed 1 damage on the health bar. What the hell?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is PvP hilariously laggy for anyone else? I've basically given up on it, after several instances of either watching my club pass through their body without doing damage, or dodge-rolling a strike only to rubberband into a backstab.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I have come to the conclusion that strike weapons > all other weapons for PvE. I'm thinking that if I ever roll a dex character, it should be a Dex-enchanter which uses Magic Weapon and Shield with all the ooze(assuming I don't Power Stance).

Also, any kind of mage is terrifying, especially those pyromancers. They sure love to fry me up in Belfry Luna which makes me a sad ratbro.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

on another note, for people who hate UGSes, I will recommend the Pursuer's UGS (traded from Straid). The moveset is way better than the normal UGS moveset.

as a comparison point, it's basically the Great Club's moveset. I like it a lot.

Omi no Kami posted:

Is PvP hilariously laggy for anyone else? I've basically given up on it, after several instances of either watching my club pass through their body without doing damage, or dodge-rolling a strike only to rubberband into a backstab.

I've had mixed results, more good than bad. assuming you're in the US around this time isn't peak hours so you're going to be ending up with a lot of people from overseas, and the lag there can be bad. I recommend setting your region play to restricted. although it lowers your chances of finding frequent match-ups, there's also less a chance of them being unplayably laggy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

as a comparison point, it's basically the Great Club's moveset. I like it a lot.

I think it's a little bit different (it has lift attacks) but yeah, the basics are a lot like the great club.

On a different note, if I die as a grey phantom in Grave of the Saint, is it like dying as a grey phantom in one of the Belfries, i.e. I don't hollow or lose souls? Or does it still work like a normal death?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

you don't lose anything and go back to your world right where you were standing. god, those areas would be unbearable if you actually died.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, I used to install some "high definition" mod for Dark Souls 1 from nexus. It was basically an instagram filter over the game and I couldn't see poo poo.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So I finished the game as a pure magic user. Decided to make a second character dedicated to only using melee. His name is The Slammer.

A friend of mine made The Jammer, and we've been abusing the poo poo out of powerstanced maces. Belfry Luna was especially hilarious as people tried to invade us and had their poise instantly broken and their brains smashed in. Except for one guy who invaded called The Puncher, who looked a lot like me, except he was using caestuses. He fared better than most, but didn't win.

The eventual plan is to powerstance Great Demon Hammers.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
This game gets worse the more I play it.

I'm in the Iron Keep and I just got killed by a guillotine trap that hit me from 2 meters away. Nice collision detection. Honestly, between every boss in the game having swings that hit the whole screen + charged superbombs if you stay too close to them and the cheap 3-4 enemies at the same time encounters, it's getting ridiculous. It used to be in the previous DS that you died because you made a mistake, not because the game decided it's ok to spawn 2 enemies behind you as soon as you engage the one you can see. Yes I died but I learned nothing in the process.

Then there's the hassle of having to go through certain parts of the game offline otherwise you'll get invaded the second you step in them (which, again, it's quantity over quality, something DS2 seems pretty fond of), the massive bullshit that is weapon deterioration, the game doing a terrible job of telling you where to go, the weapon upgrade system that, for some reason, it's still not available to me after 30+ hours because no one is selling that poo poo (so that I upgraded a broadsword and a firesword, maybe the shittiest weapons in the game, and I'm stuck with them). Also, some bosses will absolutely destroy certain builds in the cheapest possible way, see Smelter Demon. After 13 tries a friend of mine told me I was really dumb to try and kill him with my heavy armor/shield melee str build, and that I' be better served reading a walkthrough to get a fire resist shield somewhere else. Which makes me sad.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
So what kind of blunt weapons could a dex build use?

I'm playing dex and pyromancy but certain blunt vulnerable enemy types are a real headache, like the knights in the iron castle.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What are the best FTH-scaling weapons (when lightning-infused) that aren't greatswords, does anyone know? I am not a fan of greatswords in PvP.

e; on another note, for people who hate UGSes, I will recommend the Pursuer's UGS (traded from Straid). The moveset is way better than the normal UGS moveset.

I hate the Pursuer sword. That class of weapon (Ultra Greatsword, not the normal greatswords) has a really annoying quirk where if you hold say, left while you're locked on and attack, you swing to the left instead of toward the enemy. It's so that you can stay locked on and still do prediction stuff which is neat in theory but it just means I am slamming a wall when a bunch of enemies are gathered in front of me, then I die.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kawabata posted:

:smug:

Go ahead than, stop playing it.

I'll bet you can't.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kawabata posted:

After 13 tries a friend of mine told me I was really dumb to try and kill him with my heavy armor/shield melee str build, and that I' be better served reading a walkthrough to get a fire resist shield somewhere else. Which makes me sad.

Smelter Demon was the biggest roadblock of a boss for me and I ended up beating him by going as light as possible and two-handing the Great Club. if you know what to look for his attacks are very much dodgable, as long as you have the agility.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kawabata posted:

I'm in the Iron Keep and I just got killed by a guillotine trap that hit me from 2 meters away. Nice collision detection. Honestly, between every boss in the game having swings that hit the whole screen + charged superbombs if you stay too close to them and the cheap 3-4 enemies at the same time encounters, it's getting ridiculous. It used to be in the previous DS that you died because you made a mistake, not because the game decided it's ok to spawn 2 enemies behind you as soon as you engage the one you can see. Yes I died but I learned nothing in the process.

Then there's the hassle of having to go through certain parts of the game offline otherwise you'll get invaded the second you step in them (which, again, it's quantity over quality, something DS2 seems pretty fond of), the massive bullshit that is weapon deterioration, the game doing a terrible job of telling you where to go, the weapon upgrade system that, for some reason, it's still not available to me after 30+ hours because no one is selling that poo poo (so that I upgraded a broadsword and a firesword, maybe the shittiest weapons in the game, and I'm stuck with them). Also, some bosses will absolutely destroy certain builds in the cheapest possible way, see Smelter Demon. After 13 tries a friend of mine told me I was really dumb to try and kill him with my heavy armor/shield melee str build, and that I' be better served reading a walkthrough to get a fire resist shield somewhere else. Which makes me sad.

Try getting good,   then Hurrah for skeleton!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Motherfucker posted:

:smug:

Go ahead than, stop playing it.

I'll bet you can't.

I obviously can't stop playing it, but it doesn't mean it's not the worst DS single player wise. By far.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Also I found out that the drangelic sword+5 and bastardsword+10 have the same attack power.

If I remember right the scaling is different between the two and they have a different moveset, the bastard sword heavy attack is still a slash while Drangelic is a thrust.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Yes I died but I learned nothing in the process.

You should probably play a different game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Foxhound posted:

You should probably play a different game.

I'm pretty sure the core of any DS is supposed to be dying and learning from your mistakes, but maybe it's about collecting Pokemons and I'm confused!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kawabata posted:

I'm pretty sure the core of any DS is supposed to be dying and learning from your mistakes.

Correct, you should try it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kawabata posted:

I'm pretty sure the core of any DS is supposed to be dying and learning from your mistakes, but maybe it's about collecting Pokemons and I'm confused!

You learned nothing because you didn't bother looking around you before fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kawabata posted:

The enemy that 'spawned' behind you is visible in the room prior to that and you walked right in to his trap :kiddo: