Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know if this was just a thing near me or if it was nationwide, but back in my highschool days baseball caps of the University of South Carolina's Gamecocks were popular because they were literally just bright maroon caps that said "COCKS" across the front. And yeah, they eventually got banned because no teacher's going to buy a bunch of kids in the midwest showing support for a college team thousands of miles away.

Being from Georgia, it was easier for the kids to get away with wearing their COCKS hats at school, not that any of them could name a single South Carolina player. Since it was the south in the 1990s, all of the hats were worn with a fishhook on the brim.

I'm now remembering one of the edgy contests the boys had in school. Y'all have heard of the penis game, right? The one where kids dare one another to say penis as loudly and clearly as possible? This was the same, only it was "shut up, bitch." I don't think anyone got in trouble over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

double post

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Sep 18, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I went to a cow college in the PNW in the late 90s and the COCKS hat was standard issue in the frat boy starter pack.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Those hats were banned by god fearing white americans because they were clearly pushing THE GAY AGENDA. Trying to convert our little boys in to HOMOSEXUALITY!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Beaver eventually changed their name to Arcadia.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Transfers from Ball State declined rapidly after that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

wesleywillis posted:

Those hats were banned by god fearing white americans because they were clearly pushing THE GAY AGENDA. Trying to convert our little boys in to HOMOSEXUALITY!

I don't think that's why.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this editorial note from an old issue of The Savage Dragon (which is, despite still somehow running to this day, also very 90s) is peak 90s:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Kinda :mrwhite: because while Erik Larsen didn't invent the fridge he sure does use it a lot.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Transfers from Ball State declined rapidly after that.

As someone with a Ball U shirt somewhere deep in his closet, yes.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QEPrDBMqJ0

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Four years later in Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2JeaOrsUSk&t=57s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey that's pretty close to Mega Man X's Spark Mandrill song...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I saw this in the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsURJF0yg

It was a very bad film. I enjoyed it very much at the time. I refuse to rewatch it as I am 100% certain it would not hold up in any way.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

A 26-year-old who looks more like early 30s, passing for a high school student. I guess Dawson’s Creek wasn’t really all that innovative in that regard after all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

A 26-year-old who looks more like early 30s, passing for a high school student. I guess Beverly Hills 90210 wasn’t really all that innovative in that regard after all.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I saw this in the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsURJF0yg

It was a very bad film. I enjoyed it very much at the time. I refuse to rewatch it as I am 100% certain it would not hold up in any way.

Hell no this movie was awesome then and is awesome now.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I seem to remember this being sort of a scandalous movie at the time but I'll be damned if I can remember why

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Cartoon Man posted:

Hell no this movie was awesome then and is awesome now.

I have an incredibly hard time believing 13 year old me that this movie is good because he had incredibly bad tastes but i am interested in watching it again. My wife brought it up last night so even if it sucks we'll probably have a good time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

FilthyImp posted:

A 26-year-old who looks more like early 30s, passing for a high school student. I guess The breakfast club wasn’t really all that innovative in that regard after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pastry of the Year posted:

I seem to remember this being sort of a scandalous movie at the time but I'll be damned if I can remember why

Okay, who's holding that gun? Because it sure isn't Christian Slater at that angle... :ohdear:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I just remember Milla Jovovich from it :swoon:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

The most 90's Christian Slater movie will always be "Pump up the Volume". A decent movie made completely obsolete by the advent of the internet.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Sekhmnet posted:

The most 90's Christian Slater movie will always be "Pump up the Volume". A decent movie made completely obsolete by the advent of the internet.

The remake would just be a lovely twitter troll.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Or maybe a highly rated podcast where he both sides Nazis.

Something about 80s and early 90s posters I can't stop looking at are the shoes. They always look so weird. Style wise that is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Do... do you mean hi-tops?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
At least they aren’t cross trainers with jeans, which unfortunately are still a thing some loving how.

How have cross trainers with any pant maintained this much longevity?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

At least they aren’t cross trainers with jeans, which unfortunately are still a thing some loving how.

How have cross trainers with any pant maintained this much longevity?

what do these words mean

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mila jovovich was like 15 or something playing his girlfriend

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

Do... do you mean hi-tops?

RDJ's look like All Stars that reach up to mid shin.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You’re referring to John Stamos, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

You’re referring to John Stamos, right?

Oh you're right that is STAMOS!!!

Hey remember when Stamos was the drummer for the Beach Boys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAq0vvnjdJE

and they made music even worse than Kokomo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

RDJ's look like All Stars that reach up to mid shin.
Apparently those are called Neehi's and Converse designed them to be a convertible boot (you can pull the flaps down to reveal another Converse logo and a contrasting color).

Now I'm wondering if they came from ye old athletic wear and if there were ball players sporting sneakerboots in the 70s and early 80s. :tinfoil:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

ryonguy posted:

what do these words mean

Cross-trainers = standard John Cena shoes useful for working out.

Pant = garment worn from waist that covers to the ankle.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Oh you're right that is STAMOS!!!

Hey remember when Stamos was the drummer for the Beach Boys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAq0vvnjdJE

and they made music even worse than Kokomo?

...worse than Kokomo? Impossible! Right? Oh no

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Cross-trainers = standard John Cena shoes useful for working out.

Pant = garment worn from waist that covers to the ankle.

Okay, now I'm just confused by someone thinking it matters if people wear sneakers with pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Mila jovovich was like 15 or something playing his girlfriend

Nowadays that would be the controversy (maybe), but no one cared about that back then.

It was because Kuffs and Juice came out around the same time. Kuffs got a PG-13 rating despite being a violent action comedy with a poster of the lead holding a gun, whereas Juice, a movie depicting the horrific reality of juvenile crime and easy gun access, got an R and the studio had to airbrush the gun out of Omar Epps's hand on the poster.

Who's to say why this happened? It's a real mystery that's never been solved.
:thunk:

Laterite has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Oct 2, 2019