Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Splicer posted:

Lost that game to the iron man bug :(

Yikes. Which bug is this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris seems to extra punish you for playing ironman while not even giving you the meaningless cheevos it promises.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

1.5.0 saves don't give any achievements ever. 1.5.1 saves do, but only if you've started the game in 1.5.1.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Obliterati posted:

So can we just word feature requests in the form of authors now? Because I for one can't wait for the Phillip K. Dick patch (I will also settle for Mieville)

looking forward to the UI patch 1.7.0 Kafka

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you want a solid unity hose build try out spiritualist+xenophobe+pacifist. You get +20% from pacifist, and can take civics giving you +30% and +1 from farms, and can build temples as well. You could follow splicer's starting build, but you don't need to go grab extra unity buildings from the various trees if you don't want to.

edit: xenophobe also gives you a nice +15% boundary, while basic pacifist also gives you +2 core worlds.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 12, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Ìf I have autosave to cloud turned on and start a new ironman game with the same race as a previous ironman game it's overwriting the old game. I threw up a game to test something and overwrote my active one :(

Maybe it's working as intended I don't know. If you have autosave to cloud turned off then it saves a copy in C:\Users\<name>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\save games. If I have a game with the same race in there it does the standard "append a 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever on the end" thing.

If I have autosave to cloud turned on it saves it in <steam location>\userdata\<userid>\281990\remote\save games (and, presumably, the steam cloud). If I have a game with the same race in there it overwrites it. Oddly enough, if I have a game with the same race in the local saves location it will create a save called <empire name> 2 in the cloud location, and continually overwrite the "<empire name> 2" one instead.

It's obviously only checking the local save location to see if there's an existing save with the same name, but maybe that's on purpose?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Nothing as annoying as having 2-3 of your starting ships sniped by aliens that are close enough to auto-engage them as they scout systems, followed by your home system having 1 resource to get me to restart a game.

I'd love a slider or something to set how rich home systems are, or be otherwise set to have a decent minimum of poo poo spawned in them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris seems to extra punish you for playing ironman while not even giving you the meaningless cheevos it promises.

I think it's kind of funny that they restrict the achievements to ironman. Like who really gives a poo poo about the integrity of achievements.

If anything you just have a couple extra "do some poo poo, but on Ironman mode" achievements. lol you don't lock "settle some planets" or "win a game" to ironman c'mon son this is video games 101.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 12, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I decided to look into some of the changes and this game finally sounds like the game I originally wanted to play. You can be a hive mind, transcend the physical, eat planets, make ring worlds, factions are actual parties and civil wars can break out, etc.

Took them months, but I finally feel justified in my purchase.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ulmont posted:

gently caress +5 core systems. Past about 8 systems I find it's just tedious busywork.

For real. All I really want is one system with 4+ planets in it to serve as a massive shipyard complex anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

For real. All I really want is one system with 4+ planets in it to serve as a massive shipyard complex anyway.
I used to dump everything into sectors ASAP but since utopia came out I'm petrified they won't maximise my unity output. I could test to see if they do I suppose.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ulmont posted:

gently caress +5 core systems. Past about 8 systems I find it's just tedious busywork.
Replace it with "You can build things manually on sectored planets" and I'll take it every time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Every day I praise God that I am physically incapable of giving a poo poo about achievements.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

I used to dump everything into sectors ASAP but since utopia came out I'm petrified they won't maximise my unity output. I could test to see if they do I suppose.

They do!

I pushed out a big wave of colonizers to backfill a rich sector that was maxxing out minerals so they had something to do and they were putting out every influence building.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chomp8645 posted:

I think it's kind of funny that they restrict the achievements to ironman. Like who really gives a poo poo about the integrity of achievements.

If anything you just have a couple extra "do some poo poo, but on Ironman mode" achievements. lol you don't lock "settle some planets" or "win a game" to ironman c'mon son this is video games 101.

I really don't care about this whole cheevo thing games have to do now apparently, but sometimes they're a sort of fun/cute little reward for doing something. Paradox games have some interesting ones that encourage playing differently, but I have no interest in ironman or the technical issues that seem to constantly plague them. I've heard the same from other friends who play paradox games, they'd love to mix things up a bit and chase some of those weirder achievements but can't stand ironman.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^ yeah to clarify here I'm not unlocking them here either. Cheevos can be nice incentives to put a new twist on a thing you like or give you an idea for a new approach. But never should they require you to do play the game in a way that is not fun. To lock every achievement to ironman is just very lol from a design perspective and that's what I'm commenting on. I'll probably never unlock a single achievement for this game and that's ok.

GunnerJ posted:

Every day I praise God that I am physically incapable of giving a poo poo about achievements.

Hmm it seems that you care enough to smugly declare that you don't care about them in an attempt to sound cool and popular.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 12, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

I have 1421 hours of EU4 on Steam and 0 achievements. :)

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Poil posted:

1119 hours on stellaris and 0 achievements

:P

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

Yeah same, thousands of stupid hours on paradox games, 0 achievements. It's a weird part of paradox culture that I wish would go away but it would some how diminish the sanctity of previous peoples cheevos and they'd flip out.
I'd like a cheevo, but also like to save/load whenever I want or even mod the game or cheat or what ever. A cheevo is a personal matter between a consenting player and game, keep your ironman morals out of it!!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The artist troupe I hired to throw festivals across my empire 'fell in love' with one of my worlds and asked to move in, and I accepted.

Also, I'm a hive mind so as soon as their pops landed we started eating them.

:getin:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

metasynthetic posted:

The artist troupe I hired to throw festivals across my empire 'fell in love' with one of my worlds and asked to move in, and I accepted.

I've heard of tough crowds but this is ridiculous!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

hosed up interactions like this are extremely good and also make me think that hive minds are proooobably going to get finished up in another patch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

metasynthetic posted:

The whole auto-genocide for hive minds is such a ridiculous band aid solution but leads to hilarious results.

Has anyone else noticed hives often go down in one war? The last 3 games I played had some hives off to a strong start, get into a single war, then lose 100% of their planets to total annexation. The conquering empire gets huge but then contracts back to its old size as all the conquered pops die off leaving the planets empty since they were a different climate type.

When hives manage to win wars they do the same, often leaving a massive dead zone around them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

The whole auto-genocide for hive minds is such a ridiculous band aid solution but leads to hilarious results.

Has anyone else noticed hives often go down in one war? The last 3 games I played had some hives off to a strong start, get into a single war, then lose 100% of their planets to total annexation. The conquering empire gets huge but then contracts back to its old size as all the conquered pops die off leaving the planets empty since they were a different climate type.

When hives manage to win wars they do the same, often leaving a massive dead zone around them.

Weren't nearly enough gigadeaths before 1.5

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

A band-aid to the band-aid would be to give them some amount of pops based on how many were on the planet that got auto-genocided. Or some sort of change letting an empire that has a world cleaned off through not-bombardment start building a new pop (leaving the planet at 0 pops with 1 building) so they don't lose the planet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

A band-aid to the band-aid

Hmm maybe we should consult the experts at CCP for this situation.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

A band-aid to the band-aid would be to give them some amount of pops based on how many were on the planet that got auto-genocided. Or some sort of change letting an empire that has a world cleaned off through not-bombardment start building a new pop (leaving the planet at 0 pops with 1 building) so they don't lose the planet.

I just build a robot or use resettle, even if it's a full planet they don't all die instantly at the same time so you just have to come back and check on it as tiles start getting freed up. If it's of a different hab type then having them all die and go unusable is fine imo. Just sector them off until they are all made into burgs and while that's happening the huge food spike helps with your pop growth.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I just build a robot or use resettle, even if it's a full planet they don't all die instantly at the same time so you just have to come back and check on it as tiles start getting freed up. If it's of a different hab type then having them all die and go unusable is fine imo. Just sector them off until they are all made into burgs and while that's happening the huge food spike helps with your pop growth.

I don't have any problem with building a robot or sending a migration or whatever, but the AI doesn't know how to handle it which leads to the situation the other guy was talking about : AI hive minds generation big swaths of desert instead of taking territory.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Out of curiosity, if you use a liberation war goal as a hive mind, what government pops up? Another hive mind?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A repatriation option would be good too, or just a huge push for emigration to anywhere.
I actually did get some refugees once after a big hive war. But it was like 3 pops while a 30+ pop empire died. Hives aren't fanatic purifiers and their atrocities (and all atrocities) should count for a lot more on the galactic stage. There should be more news and info on what's going on in the galaxy too and more chances to interact.

A hive has taken some non-hive planets but doesn't want to become an international pariah so they ask their neighbours to take in the pops. A species is enslaved in a neighbouring empire and your egalitarian faction demands action, be it a war to liberate the slaves, funding rebels, or applying diplomatic pressure. Let me open up my diplomacy and tell the slaving empire next to me to liberate their slaves of X race (specially if X race is me!) or else. Let me intervene in a genocidal war nearby. Let me apply soft power to boost the faction attractiveness in other empires in the hopes of steering them to an ethos that likes me more or stops slaving or stops hating me for slaving. Give me way more intel on my neighbours. Do I want a research treaty because I see they have some techs I want? Show me other empire's designs based on what I know/have seen. Give me more alerts about their internal goings on. Just, more diplomatic things to do, more interactions AND feedback from the universe.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some cool thing I just learned: When you have the Curator's insight running, there's a chance you can get a rare tech to upgrade your science ships. You get this fancy new archaeology lab build with Curator-tech, which will give you small bonuses to finding and completing anomalies and a huge 25% bonus to scanning speed.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

Some cool thing I just learned: When you have the Curator's insight running, there's a chance you can get a rare tech to upgrade your science ships. You get this fancy new archaeology lab build with Curator-tech, which will give you small bonuses to finding and completing anomalies and a huge 25% bonus to scanning speed.

There's two of them actually.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
See, I have this problem where I have no self control and if I don't play on Ironman I just console hack my way to victory. Getting achievements is a nice side bonus, but really I do it to force myself to play the game without cheating.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Hive mind pops under a non hive mind should probably just get neutered or suffer an effect like chemical bliss or something. Non-hivers under a hive mind government should probably get a huge unrest penalty and some productivity maluses.

Baronjutter posted:

In my current game, I'm a hive mind, and started in the NW center of the galaxy. Right next to me in a line to the south was my own player made xenophobe slaver civ from one of my previous games, a xenophobe isolationist, then another hive mind in the south center. West was a huge empty expanse, and north was a religious and a xenophile FE blocking off the other side.

I wardecced the xenophobes next to me since I knew they would start poo poo sooner or later. That war was by far the most tense I've experienced in the game, they wiped out my fleet in the first engagement but were distracted by another war long enough for me to rebuild and edge out a win. The other hive did basically the same thing to his xenophobe neighbor (the two xenophobes started a fight between themselves first :v:). Afterwards, the other hive and I eventually setup a mutual defense pact.

So now the galaxy is the 2 FEs chilling doing nothing, the Hivebro Defense League, and basically everyone else sitting at a -500 opinion (genocide) at the both of us.

:hfive:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 12, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wraiths really loving love taking out trading enclaves. XuraCorp :rip:

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm it seems that you care enough to smugly declare that you don't care about them in an attempt to sound cool and popular.
no you are

Baronjutter posted:

That's cool that it works though. I'm still too OCD to let a sector take a planet until I've filled every tile with something though. How are they at developing from scratch? Do they actually build paradise domes and monuments and poo poo at all or let their planets be festering low happiness hell holes?
I never trust sectors to build anything right so I disable redevelopment. Just build the all the basic structures then hand it off to a sector to level everything up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interesting bug with the "Faith In Science" tradition, it does not, as the tooltip suggests, add +10% happiness to the "assist research" planetary condition. It creates a second condition with +10% happiness, in addition to all of the other benefits of assisting research which is supposed to be used instead of "assist research". This works fine except that I believe if you take the tradition after a scientist is already assisting research on a planet, it doesn't remove the first condition. Meaning it doubles assist research effectivness as well.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

GotLag posted:

I never trust sectors to build anything right so I disable redevelopment. Just build the all the basic structures then hand it off to a sector to level everything up.

That sounds nice but also sounds like a lot of work. Though I guess late game you can just queue all the buildings and go.

Do we have more info in the logic that sectors use to decide what to build? I am always surprised them training defensive armies on otherwise undeveloped planets. No one is going to invade, why are they wasting minerals and energy upkeep on an army? (I guess it reduces Unrest too but if the planet is almost empty there's no unreset...)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How are the precursor event chains supposed to work? The first one that you come across locks you out of the others, and then starts a collect-6 chain that culminates in the homeworld spawning on the map, yeah? How does the collect-6 thing work, though? Each anomaly you find has a chance of being one of them instead of some generic? If so, what happens if you've found one but are waiting to research it? Zero chance of finding the other precursor anomalies until you research the one you have, or is it possible to line up all six and then research them all later?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You don't have to research one to get the next, you can indeed allow them to accumulate. You'll almost certainly have to wait anyway, as precursor artifacts tend to require level 4-5 (sometimes 3) scientists to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. God drat. No wonder armageddon bombardment seemed unimpressive - the events that actually kill off pops and destroy buildings only check for limited or full bombardment, so "armageddon" acts the same as light bombardment for those purposes.

Guess I won't be playing Purifiers until that's fixed.

• Locked thread