Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anzrel posted:

Posting this here as well on advice from the web novel thread.

Heyo everyone. Author of Forge of Destiny, Yrsillar here. I know my works been discussed a few times in this thread and others, so I thought I'd put out notice here. In addition to publishing the first portion of Forge of Destiny in e-book format with some more editing and touch ups over even the royal road version. I've also been picked up by an audiobook publisher, and said audiobook, narrated by Natalie Naudus will be up on December 22 if you have an interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8175Z1

Also to weigh in on the conversation that occurred a bit ago in the thread on writing, I think Mr. King has the right of it. The most helpful thing I've done as a writer is set myself a work schedule and stick to it. Even if sometimes it means that I make flubs or have weak sections in the first draft (Quest) version of things, keeping my writing time consistent is the most effective for pushing through any block. That said, I've also learned in the last year that at some point you are going to burn out a little, and you definitely need to take a short vacation before you burn out completely.

I don't know if this method works for everyone, but it's certainly the one that works for me.

Congrats! I've been following Forge/Threads for awhile now and it's been really enjoyable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Enjoyed the heck out of Tower of Somnus. It's Shadowrun but what if magic comes from playing a game. Surprisingly, both halves of the story work well. It started as a November writing challenge so there are some rough patches, but it's fun.

Anzrel posted:

Posting this here as well on advice from the web novel thread.

Heyo everyone. Author of Forge of Destiny, Yrsillar here. I know my works been discussed a few times in this thread and others, so I thought I'd put out notice here. In addition to publishing the first portion of Forge of Destiny in e-book format with some more editing and touch ups over even the royal road version. I've also been picked up by an audiobook publisher, and said audiobook, narrated by Natalie Naudus will be up on December 22 if you have an interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8175Z1

Also to weigh in on the conversation that occurred a bit ago in the thread on writing, I think Mr. King has the right of it. The most helpful thing I've done as a writer is set myself a work schedule and stick to it. Even if sometimes it means that I make flubs or have weak sections in the first draft (Quest) version of things, keeping my writing time consistent is the most effective for pushing through any block. That said, I've also learned in the last year that at some point you are going to burn out a little, and you definitely need to take a short vacation before you burn out completely.

I don't know if this method works for everyone, but it's certainly the one that works for me.

Awesome! Forge is great and now I can introduce my wife to it the next time we drive somewhere.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: WTF

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
TWI Patreon:

Jesus Christ. I can't believe Badarrow cheats at videogames.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

LLSix posted:

Enjoyed the heck out of Tower of Somnus. It's Shadowrun but what if magic comes from playing a game. Surprisingly, both halves of the story work well. It started as a November writing challenge so there are some rough patches, but it's fun.

2nding diss. Book 1 just concluded in a satisfyingly Shadowrun fashion.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I loved (mild ending spoiler)...belle’s “oh honey” at the end.

It was good although part of me groaned at the hunger games jabs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good MC-is-a-dungeon stories?

I'm aware of "There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns" and after 20 or 30 chapters it still hadn't hooked me.

I'm mostly looking for clever ideas I can steal, although a decent story is a big plus.

Cynic Jester posted:

2nding diss. Book 1 just concluded in a satisfyingly Shadowrun fashion.

Yeah, I did not see that coming, but in hindsight, the author does start dropping hints a few chapters before.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

LLSix posted:

Are there any good MC-is-a-dungeon stories?

I'm aware of "There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns" and after 20 or 30 chapters it still hadn't hooked me.

I'm mostly looking for clever ideas I can steal, although a decent story is a big plus.

Here's a few I'd recommend:

Blue Core is probably one of my favorite serials I'm reading right now. A person of some kind (the author has been very insistent that they may or may not have been human) wakes up as a dungeon core. He's missing some specific memories, but definitely remembers enough to know he didn't come from this world. Here's the info posted on Royal Road:

quote:

Dungeon: A place full of monsters, traps, treasure, and death. Those are the Great Dungeons, with unplumbed depths below the roots of the mountains.

That's not for me.

Dungeon: A place of rape, torture, and death, to control and corral enemies and slaves. These are the Red Cores, from which the mage-kings draw their power.

That's also not for me.

I don't like monsters. I don't want adventurers. I want to stay well away from enemies and slaves.

Fortunately, there are alternatives...

(Includes explicit and consensual sexual content. Chapters containing such will be marked.)
The explicit chapters are relatively rare, a dozen of the 144 chapters, and they're all from the perspective of Blue or his partners so they're consensual. The Red Cores mentioned above are very explicitly The Bad Guys, and Blue very much doesn't like them, so there's no rape or slave apologia.

The Abyssal Dungeon has had some sporadic updates and is in a bit of a lull recently, but I believe the author hasn't fully dropped it yet.

quote:

The world of Vol, a huge, bountiful plane where the only constant is life, in its many, many forms. One such form is a dungeon core, a peculiar little gemstone, and the focus of our attention. Watch as this otherwise unremarkable gem awakens in one of the most resplendant places in Vol, an aptly named Mana Reef, and how it turns its simple hole in the ocean floor into something truly unique, all while the rest of the world is forced to deal with its growth.
There's no reincarnation or anything with this one, just a new dungeon core waking up to the world. Unfortunately they wake up under the ocean, which isn't supposed to happen for dungeons, making them a singularly unique dungeon in the world. The core themself is largely driven by feelings and intuition, and there's not a lot of direct conversation from their end. Instead we quickly meet a Nereid and get some PoV chapters from her side that give the story dialogue and some information about the world.

Dungeon 42 is currently paused due to the author getting sick, but they've been posting on Patreon letting people know they're still alive and not dropping the series. The blurb is rather tongue-in-cheek, but that's toned down a lot in the story itself.

quote:

Things go awry when the forces of chaos recruit a new Dungeon Master. From underpaid pseudo taxi driver to underground murder labyrinth builder, one young ladies' life is getting flip turned upside down!

-The author

I guess being a Dungeon is better than doing rideshare for a living?

-The MC

A daringly competent attempt at literature. All the stars for typing the words in a generally correct order.

-The entirely real review of a real person

I was given a bag of cheesy poofs to give this a thumbs up.

-A technically unpaid anonymous review
The "forces of chaos" aren't quite Gods, but they're definitely an active force on the world the MC gets put in. More Chaotic Evil, really, though that doesn't sit well with the MC (she got recruited by accident, killing the actual target instead of becoming their victim), and she kind of wrenches the system into letting her be just Chaotic. Especially when she learns about the slavery, plague, and other general shittiness that she might be able to do something about.

In non-serial books, you might want to check out Jonathan Brooks, who's writing a bunch of dungeon core series. I'd recommend Dungeon Crafting (a young woman who wants nothing more than to create, but is born with a disability that prevents it, is reincarnated long after her death as a dungeon core, which let's her finally live out her desire) and The Hapless Dungeon Fairy (a newly graduated Dungeon Fairy finds out that there's maybe more than superstition when it comes to her namesake's incredible bad luck, but it eventually gets her stuck in a very unique situation) over the others.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
A Lonely Dungeon is an enjoyable complete short story about a dungeon in a world with no adventurers. Or much of anything, really, which makes the dungeon pretty confused about why it exists and what it's supposed to be doing. It's something that I expected to get dull ten chapters in, but the author has an unusually good grasp of when it's time to stop dwelling on the current thing and move the plot along already for a web serial author. Being under 50k words rather than 500k words helps of course.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A new TWI chapter just dropped and I'm almost too afraid to read it. I'm still hosed up from tuesday.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Shortest Path posted:

A new TWI chapter just dropped and I'm almost too afraid to read it. I'm still hosed up from tuesday.

The Patreon chapter?

yeah I just finished it. No gut wrench this time. Well, kinda.

Helluva way to go Maviola

asur
Dec 28, 2012
TWI Patreon Well that kind of sucked. I like how TWI actually has good characters die, but I do wish they'd stop being characters I liked when there are a ton of characters that are meh though this does make more sense then her living indefinitely from potions.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I will say this much about that whole chapter

Pawn unleashed is loving nightmarish.
The Hive wanted individuals, it got individuals.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI public: welp, not how I expected TWI to end, but well played Pirateaba. Thanks for the serial and looking forward to the epilogue.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I can't believe Erin Solstice is loving dead.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TWI / PG Spoilers

Between Cat, Erin, Ryoka, and the two crows, now is NOT A GOOD TIME to be a female web serial protagonist

asur
Dec 28, 2012
PG The overall story doesn't seem like it makes a ton of sense at the moment. The loss of the Night should mean the collapse of the front held by the sigils and current battle is going to leave shattered armies. I don't see where they get the forces to siege Keter even with Cat having a ridiculous name and no important named dying thus far. Maybe they'll just Name their way through it with the sword and crown, but that doesn't seem to fit the path of the war so far.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

It's good! Feels more Cyberpunk (2020, I know nothing about 2077) than Shadowrun despite there being an alien MMO that lets you use your magic powers weakly IRL. It works in context, OK?

I haven't caught up yet, but a nomad group just got brought in and I'm excited to see the next action thing go down.

e: Gasoot. :allears:

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 15, 2020

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I haven't caught up yet, but a nomad group just got brought in and I'm excited to see the next action thing go down.

The epilogue for Book 1 just came out t his weekend. I won't spoil anything, but it is everything I'd hoped for.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Narmi posted:

The epilogue for Book 1 just came out t his weekend. I won't spoil anything, but it is everything I'd hoped for.

lmao god drat.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Dikkfor posted:

lmao god drat.
lol this

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Pretty great.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
You know these last three TWI chapters are gonna be important when they have their own title that isn't "Interlude" or the conventional numbering.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: time

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

These past few chapters have been the first time where I have had absolutely no goddamn idea where the plot was going to go and I'm fuckin here for it.

Also regularly bawling my eyes out but thems the breaks I guess.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
This definitely feels like we're in the endgame territory of TWI. Though there's still a ton of plotlines that haven't even begun to be resolved. Looking at you "Kent Scott."

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Its been an arrow-y few chapters in TWI, geez.

At this rate, Lyonette next chapter:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

What is that gif from? I laughed.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Anias posted:

What is that gif from? I laughed.
American Gods. First episode iirc?

Also the recent TWI chapters I find incredibly boringly melodramatic.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I only glanced through the early bits of TWI ages ago, and remember thinking at the time that Erin badly explaining abrahamic religion to a medieval society was a really bad idea. Now that she's apparently dead but also not dead?, I can't help but wonder if the entire story is just a slow buildup to revealing that it was 40k fanfiction all along, and Erin is the emperor of mankind.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

I only glanced through the early bits of TWI ages ago, and remember thinking at the time that Erin badly explaining abrahamic religion to a medieval society was a really bad idea. Now that she's apparently dead but also not dead?, I can't help but wonder if the entire story is just a slow buildup to revealing that it was 40k fanfiction all along, and Erin is the emperor of mankind.

Well Pawn, the Priest, is now summoning something called aberrations so yeah, seems to be going poorly.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Well Pawn, the Priest, is now summoning something called aberrations so yeah, seems to be going poorly.

pretty sure he's summoning primeval antinium from the days when they were monsters using the power of the sleeping god. y'know, the reason klbkch wanted him dead as hell in the first place

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

asur posted:

PG The overall story doesn't seem like it makes a ton of sense at the moment. The loss of the Night should mean the collapse of the front held by the sigils and current battle is going to leave shattered armies. I don't see where they get the forces to siege Keter even with Cat having a ridiculous name and no important named dying thus far. Maybe they'll just Name their way through it with the sword and crown, but that doesn't seem to fit the path of the war so far.

It seems to put the Firstborn in a pretty bad political position, even ignoring the fact that the other front will get wrecked, since they kind of rely upon being super powerful in order to stand on their own against the human nations that are orders of magnitude bigger in terms of population.

While it's possible that this could result in Named arising among the Firstborn (which seems to currently not be possible), that doesn't really seem like a sufficient counterbalance.

I trust the author though; there haven't been any significant plot turns in the entire series so far that I've disliked.

edit: Also, where does Winter factor into this? Doesn't Sve Noc also have Winter right now? It's possible that this might cause some weird shenanigans with the Fey crowns.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

It seems to put the Firstborn in a pretty bad political position, even ignoring the fact that the other front will get wrecked, since they kind of rely upon being super powerful in order to stand on their own against the human nations that are orders of magnitude bigger in terms of population.

While it's possible that this could result in Named arising among the Firstborn (which seems to currently not be possible), that doesn't really seem like a sufficient counterbalance.

I trust the author though; there haven't been any significant plot turns in the entire series so far that I've disliked.

edit: Also, where does Winter factor into this? Doesn't Sve Noc also have Winter right now? It's possible that this might cause some weird shenanigans with the Fey crowns.

That last point was Cats plan originally, foist the crown of autumn on the dead King to surplant his title as King of the dead

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tithin posted:

That last point was Cats plan originally, foist the crown of autumn on the dead King to surplant his title as King of the dead

Surely Dead King knows that Sve Noc has Winter, though. I guess it's possible that Dead King could overlook the narrative implications of him seizing that power, though.

edit: Speaking of all of this, I was pretty surprised that Sve Noc was willing to make the sacrifice instead of clinging to their pride and struggling against the Dead King's curse/ward/whatever.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It feels kinda weird that the Dead King is raising the stakes so much and going for an overwhelming victory. He's got to know that the pendulum will swing the other way.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 18, 2020

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Narmi posted:

It feels kinda weird that the Dead King is raising the stakes so much and going for an overwhelming victory. He's got to know that the pendulum will swing the other way.

It does seem like a mistake on his part to not continue the status quo after Cat got taken out and he trapped Sve Noc. There doesn't seem to be any reason to lose a crab when the gate was barely holding on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's funny how petty Hakram is about Ivah.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
And that's another future addition to the sharrowford girl squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I'm really enjoying Katalepsis' current arc. Seven-Shades-of-Sunlight is gonna be a fun new addition.

Also, Heather and Raine really are a pair.

She blinked at me, hurt. “ … my father’s family is very large? One of us has to be a lesbian.”
“Typical,” Raine muttered. “Muff magnet, the pair of us.”