Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

a spell needs more than annoying targeting for me to consider it interesting so a lot of them are not particularly well done in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ngl fam, the tedious targeting bullshit is precisely the reason why I don't like lightning spells.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If orcs are no longer a selectable race, but anyone can worship Beogh, then the first thing Beogh should do is transform you into an orc. And then your race would be listed as Deep Orc or Mountain Orc or Palentorca or something.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I think I saw in a commit message something about new beogh giving you orcish features?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i can't wait to play a Djorc

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I want to be an Orcopode so badly the Beogh rework rules

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Ferrinus posted:

If orcs are no longer a selectable race, but anyone can worship Beogh, then the first thing Beogh should do is transform you into an orc. And then your race would be listed as Deep Orc or Mountain Orc or Palentorca or something.

This is exactly what happens!
The best names are for the really unusual species like vampires, felids, and especially vine stalkers.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

please tell me it's Vine Storker

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the Orc of Zot

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

death cob for cutie posted:

please tell me it's Vine Storker

Better
Orchid stalker

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

incredible

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm guessing this has been answered at some point so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction that would be great:

I'm looking into getting DC set up on my steam deck. Are there some conveniently created control templates out there for this? Is there an easy way to play online or can I only really get the offline version installed? I figure I can just play from a browser but I'm hoping for a less finicky setup where I can rely on control macros for a lot of things instead of bringing up the keyboard constantly.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

Why are you booing him? He's right.

This thread's seeing an uptick recently, the solution isn't a new thread, it's just posting more about playing the game. And maybe updating the title to catch a few more eyes.

If someone wants to make a new thread, even if just to take ownership and update the OP/title, feel free. The thread used to get a reboot every version/tournament before, so it's probably due for one.

I've mostly just been lurking and not really following development or playing Crawl anymore as I've got too many other games to play and catch up with when I'm not busy with work.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

When tf did they change Recite from AoE to smite target? Really ruined my day when I finally got the only combination I know how to play from like a decade ago (VsBe into TSO at Crypt for holy quickblade into Zin)over the hump and into extended last night. How do I cause mass confusion and paralysis without investing a ton of XP into magic

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Poppers posted:

When tf did they change Recite from AoE to smite target? Really ruined my day when I finally got the only combination I know how to play from like a decade ago (VsBe into TSO at Crypt for holy quickblade into Zin)over the hump and into extended last night. How do I cause mass confusion and paralysis without investing a ton of XP into magic

it's a little late for your current run but definitely take a good long look at uskayaw next time

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I just don’t understand… my beautiful build…….

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

EightFlyingCars posted:

it's a little late for your current run but definitely take a good long look at uskayaw next time

Uskayaw is really awesome for stabbing everything. Combine it with Vhi’s electric charge and you can deal damage until Uskayaw drops the paralyze, then fly around the screen stabbing all the nastiest stuff with ease. If you somehow roll demonic magic on a demonspawn it gets even funnier, since your charges also paralyze nearby enemies.

Also I’m also curious when they changed recite. I don’t feel like Zin was that overpowered, all things considered.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Yeah they trashed it. Not only is recite single target, if you invocations is too low it won’t even let you cast it. Unreal

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Poppers posted:

Yeah they trashed it. Not only is recite single target, if you invocations is too low it won’t even let you cast it. Unreal

I just started a trunk game to try this, and I think neither of these is true. Recite seems to work just the way it used to. It hits the whole screen and you can use it at very low invocations (2.7 in my case). Maybe you’re getting thrown off by changes with the UI?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i don't think they changed zin

given that when you switched to zin you probably got enough piety to cast Imprison as well, and that Imprison is a skill which is smite-targeted and finicky about actually working, are you sure you weren't accidentally trying to use imprison?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

It was definitely recite with smite targeting that gave me a message like “you’re not zealous enough to preach to this audience” with 6 star piety on 0.31

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I cannot confirm if it’s aoe after the smite targeting due to unfortunate circumstances involving a cacodemon on abyss 5

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have been trying out the new mountain dwarf and being able to cast effectively in full plate is wild. also the fire/air plasma beam spell fucks.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I have been having a good time playing DCSS with Ghoul Okawaru. I tried to make it work with Ghoul Chei but the heavy piety costs and low piety gain meant I was stuck man moding so much stuff and never really thriving.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

The new dual-wielding species is in trunk now. The dev team was apparently luke warm on steel elves, so they’re reflavored to “coglins”, goblins in a mechanical exoskeleton that lets them use two weapons. For some reason the weapon spirits flavoring stays, so all your weapons have names. In return for being able to wield two weapons at once, they need to “rev up” both their attacks and their movement. Attacks do 33% less damage for the first few rounds of attacking, and moving after any action other than moving takes twice as long. They also take a long time to change weapons.

Seems like you should be able to do some interesting things with them. Dual wield fixed-arts, if you find them, dual wield magic staves, stab while dealing solid damage with a long blade, etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm sure someone much smarter than myself can explain why dual-wielding is so hard to balance in DCSS compared to literally every other game.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

playing a little and zin's Recite seems to work the same as it always did? you get an aoe cursor upon using recite, which highlights all the creatures who will be affected by Recite; you don't target them or anything though

there is clearer communication as to whether or not your recite will actually affect said targets, and i don't think it will actually let you use recite if there's nobody susceptible/your recite power is too low to affect (hell lords, perhaps?)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Serephina posted:

I'm sure someone much smarter than myself can explain why dual-wielding is so hard to balance in DCSS compared to literally every other game.

This is easy, for the same reason ant men are strong. The game assumes you are either using a shield or a two-hander, so a character that can get the shield bonus and have the damage bonus is breaking the expectations. Because one-handed weapons have to be sufficient damage to win, getting two of them means you can do much more damage than expected. DCSS is built around melee having a pretty low time to kill once you’re past level 10 or so, and dropping it further means (especially late game) you’re in much less danger in most situations. If you haven’t already, you should go for 15 runes and see how it feels to swap between one and two handed weapons, the increased killy-ness makes a big difference in hell and pan in particular. Or just consider how a ring of +5 slaying is a great find that may not be replaced on melee characters. Also, dual wielding means a second slot for a strong artifact.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

dcss player builds aren't complicated enough for there to be a meaningful way of balancing having twice as many attacks in a turn and they'd always end up as either mandatory or worthless

like if you can dual-wield without penalty, why would you ever use a two-handed weapon, since they do less damage than attacking twice with a one-handed weapon? and if you made them do more damage or put a damage penalty on dual-wielding, why would you ever dual-wield(other than because you have two artifacts and want one as a stat stick)? games normally get around this because they just have other stuff they can apply balancing adjustments to, like skills/abilities that you can only use while using a two-hander or something, but DCSS player characters aren't complex enough for there to be a way to do that. i think they already have enough trouble balancing between 1-hand plus shield and 2-hand. and i don't even know if they bother trying to make 1-hand and no shield viable, so there's already one option that's basically vestigial

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Serephina posted:

I’m certainly not going to enter into the general discussion of how to balance dual wielding, but the intended balance with coglins in dcss seems to be that dual-wielding is supposed to be outright stronger than other styles by enough that it’s a species’ unique advantage and they face multiple disadvantages to compensate for it. Early game that seems to be the case. Dual wielding electrocution/venom daggers is nuts, and you can also mix in protection to get a solid defense boost while still dealing better damage than another character. Attack speed averages between both weapons, while always swinging with both, so you could also use a speed dagger or something to really speed up your attacks if you haven’t found other brands. I don’t know how things shake out later on, but in principle coglins are a really interesting species.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

dcss player builds aren't complicated enough for there to be a meaningful way of balancing having twice as many attacks in a turn and they'd always end up as either mandatory or worthless

like if you can dual-wield without penalty, why would you ever use a two-handed weapon, since they do less damage than attacking twice with a one-handed weapon? and if you made them do more damage or put a damage penalty on dual-wielding, why would you ever dual-wield(other than because you have two artifacts and want one as a stat stick)? games normally get around this because they just have other stuff they can apply balancing adjustments to, like skills/abilities that you can only use while using a two-hander or something, but DCSS player characters aren't complex enough for there to be a way to do that. i think they already have enough trouble balancing between 1-hand plus shield and 2-hand. and i don't even know if they bother trying to make 1-hand and no shield viable, so there's already one option that's basically vestigial

Demonspawn now has a body mutation that occupies the gloves slot but gives you an off-hand touch attack that does irresistible damage and, at max mutation level, halves enemy will. I just finished a game with a demonspawn that had that and used a short blade with nothing off-hand all game. With a spectral quick blade it was enough to melee hell sentinels, but, but I think I still
probably would have just been better off with a shield.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Demonspawn now has a body mutation that occupies the gloves slot but gives you an off-hand touch attack that does irresistible damage and, at max mutation level, halves enemy will. I just finished a game with a demonspawn that had that and used a short blade with nothing off-hand all game. With a spectral quick blade it was enough to melee hell sentinels, but, but I think I still
probably would have just been better off with a shield.

Were you able to make use of the halved will? That could be fun if you got a good book early.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Chakan posted:

Were you able to make use of the halved will? That could be fun if you got a good book early.

Sort of. I didn’t go for hexes, but I had demonic magic (willpower based paralysis in radius 1/2/3 when you cast a spell (or zap a wand at level 3), so there were some times I’d beat on an enemy with high will, then cast something and the enemy would get paralyzed. I actually won another character with that mutation last year that was hex focused and made fairly heavy use of the mutation. I had augmentation too, so enfeeble had a good chance to land the full effect against almost anything not outright immune.

It’s a really cool mutation in concept, but it has serious issues that make it sort of dubious. First, the will drain doesn’t come online until level 3, so it does help hexers late game, but you still need another plan for super nasty hex immune enemies. It won’t do anything for you if you’re not building hexes/short blades early. Second, you have to attack, the touch has to proc (I think it’s like a 40% chance at level 27), then it has to hit for the will drain to work. It’s not reliable enough to plan around, at best it’s sort of a nice bonus that lets you disable or kill some enemies sooner. Finally, you’re giving up a good bit of damage or defense to get the touch attack. You can play the game with single weapon as a demonspawn with that mutation, but it’s more just a cool thing you can do that’s probably weaker than other choices.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

DS mutations are absolutely nuts right now. My current Sif Muna worshipper has the same paralysis mutation and the high mana regen one as well.

My Coglin Warper started with an axe, but I got a poison dagger and distortion dagger on D:1. I'm very curious to see how dual wielding and reving syncs with Manifold Assault, but there are like three gods I want to try this exact build on. I want the most to see Wu Jian martial arts combined with dual wielding. It may be better to never directly attack, I don't know! Okawaru is getting picked if I see it first. Double dagger dithmenos is exactly what I thought I'd go with it I picked daggers from the start, but I'm the least curious about that build.

10aut to change weapons, LOL

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Haha, you basically *need* to wear an acrobat amulet on a Coglin. So easy to close a single tile gap with a monster only to remember that it will take you a day to get there.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

the +7 rapier "Cum Gel" {elec, Int+2} :henget:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Poppers posted:

the +7 rapier "Cum Gel" {elec, Int+2} :henget:

you have to win this seed now. you must

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I think they've got the seed in their hand already

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

parthenocarpy posted:

Haha, you basically *need* to wear an acrobat amulet on a Coglin. So easy to close a single tile gap with a monster only to remember that it will take you a day to get there.

Yeah, it’s pretty brutal. I feel like it heavily encourages kiting everything to safe terrain since the half speed movement plus opportunity attacks makes repositioning so painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Two shot by a naga warrior with a +8 electric quick blade, mask of the dragon, and randart +4 slaying cloak. I don't want to play Crawl anymore.