Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did 2021 suck?
This poll is closed.
Yes 54 28.27%
Very much yes 34 17.80%
Oh gently caress yes 32 16.75%
Are you fuckign kidding me, HELL YES IT SUCKED 71 37.17%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ford ran out of Ford badges. :bravo:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-pickup-truck-badge-shortage-delay-shipment/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I can't tell you how many I see around here without them anyway. Seems they'd be doing customers a favor to forgo them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Leica and other Gulf Coast goons -- be careful and prepare. That storm looks like it could get spicy.

Rhyno posted:

Exercise is impossible. I sold all my equipment due to the move and gyms make me panic.

That's the perfect opportunity to get a gym membership and get out there, face your fear and build muscle? Good option.

Alternately, go to a park and walk/jog/run. Get a bike and bike. Find a local park with a crossfit circuit. There are options.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 24, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elviscat posted:

She called me "cute as hell" and asked if I was married. I think she must've been drunk off her rear end at 2pm
:feelsgood:

For reference:

So uh... whatcha doin later? :wmwink:

How do you like the Bolt, and what's the insurance like on it? If I'm going to get an EV, it's the only one I would currently consider. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to charge it at work too (we have an entire parking lot full of level 2 chargers, and I see plenty of non-Tesla EVs plugged in there - I think I've seen a couple of Bolts, some i3s, Leafs, etc), though home would get tricky since my garage doesn't have its own circuit (it's shared with a total of 6 garages). Walmart down the road has a couple of different kinds of what I assume are level 3 chargers in their parking lot. I'm dropping $50-75 a week on gas right now in the Vic, though it's finally getting decent mileage for a tank (last few tanks have been 18-20).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 24, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

nitsuga posted:

I can't tell you how many I see around here without them anyway. Seems they'd be doing customers a favor to forgo them.

Do you mean when they get sunbleached or whatever and lose all the color? I see that a ton around here too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

opengl posted:

Do you mean when they get sunbleached or whatever and lose all the color? I see that a ton around here too.
There’s that for sure, but I’ve seen plenty of F-150s where it’s just plain gone. I think the adhesive gets cooked too and the badge drops off entirely.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I know a lot of American's are sad you miss out on the GR Yaris, I'm sorry to tell you you're also missing out on this even hotter unit:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

How do you like the Bolt, and what's the insurance like on it? If I'm going to get an EV, it's the only one I would currently consider. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to charge it at work too (we have an entire parking lot full of level 2 chargers, and I see plenty of non-Tesla EVs plugged in there - I think I've seen a couple of Bolts, some i3s, Leafs, etc), though home would get tricky since my garage doesn't have its own circuit (it's shared with a total of 6 garages). Walmart down the road has a couple of different kinds of what I assume are level 3 chargers in their parking lot. I'm dropping $50-75 a week on gas right now in the Vic, though it's finally getting decent mileage for a tank (last few tanks have been 18-20).

I can't speak to ownership since I didn't actually buy one, but if I had to commute now I absolutely would own one. There's nothing exciting about it but they're perfectly competent vehicles.

I low-key wish I had bought one back when all the off-lease ex-California cars were flooding the market at $10-12k (or less) pre-recall, even though I don't need one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't speak to ownership since I didn't actually buy one, but if I had to commute now I absolutely would own one. There's nothing exciting about it but they're perfectly competent vehicles.

I low-key wish I had bought one back when all the off-lease ex-California cars were flooding the market at $10-12k (or less) pre-recall, even though I don't need one.

My wife and I test drove an '17 with 36k miles in April of 2020. $11k... I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm sad all the dirt-cheap Leafs dried up. They're nothing interesting, but man, I was seeing them under $4k, and regret not getting one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

My wife and I test drove an '17 with 36k miles in April of 2020. $11k... I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

Yup, exactly what I was eyeballing. There were tons of them all over the country, most of them still with expired CA HOV tags on them.

meatpimp posted:

I'm sad all the dirt-cheap Leafs dried up. They're nothing interesting, but man, I was seeing them under $4k, and regret not getting one.

The problem with those is that in AZ, a $4k Leaf is one with ~20 miles total range left on the battery.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Leica and other Gulf Coast goons -- be careful and prepare. That storm looks like it could get spicy.

Looks like it's gonna miss us for the most part, forecast keeps moving west into the panhandle.

Good thing cuz i can't get my generator to start :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, exactly what I was eyeballing. There were tons of them all over the country, most of them still with expired CA HOV tags on them.

The problem with those is that in AZ, a $4k Leaf is one with ~20 miles total range left on the battery.

Before everything went to poo poo, I was looking at them only missing 2 or 3 bars on the range gauge. How bad is the heat on longevity?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Before everything went to poo poo, I was looking at them only missing 2 or 3 bars on the range gauge. How bad is the heat on longevity?

Absolutely brutal, because the Leaf is the only EV without any active cooling for the batteries.

Way back when they were new and Nissan started doing a $199/mo lease, I was going to pick one up. The lease payment was about what I was spending to fuel the Ranger. But I couldn't charge at work (not even 120V) and based on owner results at that time, my all-highway 50 mile round trip commute would be impossible to do after about a year and a half.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

meatpimp posted:

You don't want a Leaf with 2 or 3 bars missing, that first bar is 15% degradation.

STR posted:

So uh... whatcha doin later? :wmwink:

I love it! Here's what I wrote up for the EV thread, insurance seems on par for a cheapo economy car. :

Elviscat posted:

I saw one od those new Amazon Rivian vans the other day, they're pretty cool.

I also had this ugly thing follow me home.

2022 2LT, red.

It's perfect
-the new style seats are awesome 3 level heat, adjustable lumbar support
-the pedal box is HUGE and accommodates my size 14 feet well (my #2 complaint with the Leaf)
-adaptive cruise control is AWESOME, really well implemented, brakes nice and smooth, and and has big, adjustable following distance, I used it in Seattle traffic from 0-70MPH and it was flawless
-lane keep assist is stupid and pointless, as expected.
-the obligatory giant rear end infotainment screen is really nicely into the interior.
-the interior is and feels cheap, actually a little worse than the Leaf, but w/e.
-0-60 time is much faster then the Leaf.
-steering is kinda mushy and flat vs the Leaf too.

I reserved this in March, but GM's stacked a $6k of rebates on to ease the pain of this vs a 23, so it came out to about $30k flat before TTL, which is a great deal for this much car IMO.

So now my GF gets to drive this every day while I keep commuting in my Leaf until her ID.4 comes in Novemberish.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I know the 3 car garage chat has passed but if I could change one of my answers it would be to have a LHD Ginetta G40r. 800kg, 6 speed rwd simple coupe. Everything I want. Power is from a Ford Duratec but that can be changed up or just add a rotrex if I want more power. https://youtu.be/LiqFGZuKtXU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

meatpimp posted:

Heat is what kills Leaf batteries. Imagine parking over a huge frying pan and leaving it there - that’s what happens to the batteries with hot asphalt.

I’ve got 115,000 miles on our 2013 Leaf and it’s only down 2 bars - but I’m in Alaska.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Used to see them fairly regularly in the $3-4k range but half the range or less remaining, I almost grabbed one as a place holder in the period between selling the i3 and finding the cayman.

Coredump posted:

I know the 3 car garage chat has passed but if I could change one of my answers it would be to have a LHD Ginetta G40r. 800kg, 6 speed rwd simple coupe. Everything I want. Power is from a Ford Duratec but that can be changed up or just add a rotrex if I want more power. https://youtu.be/LiqFGZuKtXU
Dang that's good, Ginetta makes a lot of amazing stuff. Kind of a halfway point between a miata and a caterham.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Got re-promoted I think. Hard to tell with this company. I got a call just before dinner and now I'm waiting at work for the schedule to magically appear. The people who run this company better have some fuckin boozy lunches because good lord. (Note as per my award I am required to have 14 days notice or 48 hours notice with discussion on any change to my roster and I got 3 hours). The joys of night shift.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Boozy lunches are great and hopefully in your future!

Tuesday afternoon we're all knocking off from work early and heading out to the local brewery district to meet up with a bunch of (amicably-parted) former coworkers and have a significant number of beers on company dime and I'm extremely looking forward to it. Some of those dudes I haven't seen in three or four years.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Kazinsal posted:

Boozy lunches are great and hopefully in your future!

Tuesday afternoon we're all knocking off from work early and heading out to the local brewery district to meet up with a bunch of (amicably-parted) former coworkers and have a significant number of beers on company dime and I'm extremely looking forward to it. Some of those dudes I haven't seen in three or four years.

I've had a few pub visits caused by being rostered early on a job (due to management incompetence) beer is good but beer on the clock is better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My team and I had a full afternoon of beers and food on the clock last Thursday because it was my last day in that department. Drinks hit better when you know you're being paid to buy them.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I met up with some colleagues after work on Friday for the fête des vendanges, which translates as the wine harvest festival. I was expecting to be sipping wine on some hay bales - nope! 300,000 people party in a town with normal population of 30,000, it was very un-Swiss. I was assigned a drinking buddy who was one of the Finnish women from the team. Turns out the Finns can drink

Missed the last train home at 01:15 which I found a bit concerning, my buddy was unfazed and said we should just push through to the first train at 5ish. Finally made it home at about 7. Luckily I have an understanding partner.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

nitsuga posted:

There’s that for sure, but I’ve seen plenty of F-150s where it’s just plain gone. I think the adhesive gets cooked too and the badge drops off entirely.

I almost completely debadged my Pontiac G5 the day I bought it. The huge logo and red brand emblem were ugly as hell and I am morally opposed to dealership stickers. A little dental floss and I had a nice clean bumper.

The FiST, on the other hand, I actually replaced the ST badge on the front when it came off. Poor little car has a bit of an inferiority complex so it needs it's ST badges.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

I almost completely debadged my Pontiac G5 the day I bought it. The huge logo and red brand emblem were ugly as hell and I am morally opposed to dealership stickers. A little dental floss and I had a nice clean bumper.

The FiST, on the other hand, I actually replaced the ST badge on the front when it came off. Poor little car has a bit of an inferiority complex so it needs it's ST badges.

I hear that! I throw away license plate brackets the first opportunity I get (thankfully they're so cheap that's all they use now). But good on you keeping the little FiST's ego all pumped up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

My biggest issue with the Leaf is range - brand new they do <150 miles on a change; the long range version can barely do 200. And of course the heat destroys the batteries (we're coming out of a record summer too.. we hit 100 twice last week). If I need to make a trip to Dallas, I'd either have to rent a car, or find somewhere to charge along the way (it's 220 miles door to door to my parents house) - I know the Bolt can make that trip with a little bit of range to spare as long as I'm conservative with the throttle. Their breaker panel is in the garage pretty close to the overhead door too; I could slap a 240V circuit in for decent charging when I'm visiting (there's an unused electric range circuit).

Even a trip to San Antonio or Kerrville would be difficult in a Leaf. I know I could charge it in SA, but Kerrville only has 23k people. Fredricksburg only 11k. Neither would be a good place to take an EV on a trip. The upcoming price cut on the 23 Bolt is looking attractive too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

My biggest issue with the Leaf is range - brand new they do <150 miles on a change; the long range version can barely do 200. And of course the heat destroys the batteries (we're coming out of a record summer too.. we hit 100 twice last week). If I need to make a trip to Dallas, I'd either have to rent a car, or find somewhere to charge along the way (it's 220 miles door to door to my parents house) - I know the Bolt can make that trip with a little bit of range to spare as long as I'm conservative with the throttle. Their breaker panel is in the garage pretty close to the overhead door too; I could slap a 240V circuit in for decent charging when I'm visiting (there's an unused electric range circuit).

Even a trip to San Antonio or Kerrville would be difficult in a Leaf. I know I could charge it in SA, but Kerrville only has 23k people. Fredricksburg only 11k. Neither would be a good place to take an EV on a trip. The upcoming price cut on the 23 Bolt is looking attractive too.

I've reduced my routine travel needs down to ~20 miles per day, a couple days a week. I'd be okay with a half depleted leaf. I just need to find something at a non-stupid price, so... I'll be waiting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I think most people would be absolutely fine with a short range, cheaper, smaller, less plush EV. They've been convinced they absolutely need a hideously expensive 300 mile range rolling lounge with 5 seats though.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Really, the world just needs more Teslondas.
Leaf swapped EG/EK Civics, beetles, golfs, etc.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think most people would be absolutely fine with a short range, cheaper, smaller, less plush EV. They've been convinced they absolutely need a hideously expensive 300 mile range rolling lounge with 5 seats though.

Yeah, I want an EV for short-medium UK trips to go shopping and see friends (i.e. less than an hour - so about 100-120 miles round trip).

Anything further than that it's the wrong tool for the job and i'll rent an S-class or something to nip up to Scotland.

Context: I have a Jaguar i-pace, an expensive 400+hp 250-mile range 'lifestyle SUV' or w/e.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I would loving love an EV or plug in hybrid if I could charge it on the reg. Alas I street park.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

McTinkerson posted:

Absolutely this. Just something to move my rear end around from place to place, it doesn't have to be a luxobarge every single trip.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

STR posted:

Kerrville has two L3 charging stations nearby:

Fredricksburg is only L2 but still not a charging wasteland:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

McTinkerson posted:

Mk4 GTI, small but still big enough to fit long legs and the dog. Unfortunately used leaf level range only covers grocery shopping for me so goes that idea.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

I prefer Leafonda. No reason to give Elon any credit there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The 2023 Bolt is going to be a loving steal

Starting Jan 1 the Bolt is eligible for the $7,500 tax credit, GM is also lowering the base model's MSRP to around $26,000, also the tax credit goes to the dealer, meaning it comes straight off the top, you don't have to gently caress about with it at tax time. This means you can get a base model Bolt for less than $20,000 before TTL. That's a screaming deal for any economy car, and just ridiculous for an EV with 260 miles of range, that can seat 5 people.

The 2LT, the model I got, will come in around
$21,500 before TTL that gets you ACC, Bose sound, lanekeep assist, perforated (fake I think?) Leather seats, automatic highbeams, every cool fancy new-car option you (or at least I) could want. 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on that battery at that price too. And that's a proper liquid-cooled battery pack that should survive just fine in the Texas heat.

The Bolt's delivering what Musk promised the Model 3 would, an EV with enough range to meet anyone in the US's needs, for under $30K, actually considerably under.

The only real shame is that the Bolt's limited to 50kW fast charging and can't do 150+ like most modern EVs.

E: if you want to actually fit 5 adults in it, there's also the Bolt EUV which is just a fat Bolt with a little less range and about $2k more for comparable features.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 25, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, under 20k for a new car? An EV at that? Depending on what commute I end up with that could easily end up paying for itself in a few years.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In Quebec, the base Leaf is also cheaper than the base (and I want to say mid-trim) Sentra after a multi-thousand-dollar MSRP cut.

Part of their plan of acquiring Mitsubishi was to make the next generation even cheaper, though I'm not sure if that's going to happen now with all the Ghosn coup stuff.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Elviscat posted:

The 2023 Bolt is going to be a loving steal

All sounds great on paper but will dealers actually have any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

opengl posted:

All sounds great on paper but will dealers actually have any?

At that price, considering supply shortage, with gas above $4/gal? Probably not, you'll have to order one if you want one, or keep a hawkish eye on your dealerships looking for one that someone refuses.

This is currently true of every single non-Tesla EV. I had a Mach-E on order for 6 months before Ford hosed me and I canceled the order.