Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

movax posted:

I exited it last week, the TikTok thing reminded me how much it was pumped up so after it recovered I figured what the hell. What made it poo poo this time?

I think it was this thing (ty pmchem)

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1316472054359654413

They will reportedly miss earnings by like 4% ? And to be honest I’m confused on the idea of a company stock being leveraged, I thought that type of thing was for ETFs and such. I’ve still got a lot to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

$FSLY isn't actually "leveraged" like a 2x/3x ETF or options. My read on the tweet is that he is saying it behaves like a leveraged fund -- large % rises, large % falls.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

decypher posted:

I think it was this thing (ty pmchem)

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1316472054359654413

They will reportedly miss earnings by like 4% ? And to be honest I’m confused on the idea of a company stock being leveraged, I thought that type of thing was for ETFs and such. I’ve still got a lot to learn.

As said above, beta just means the stock moves more than an underlying index, usually due to higher volume trading, so TSLA has a beta of 1.69 to the s&p while XOM is 1.31 and aapl is also 1.31. Its movement relative to an index.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pmchem posted:

$FSLY isn't actually "leveraged" like a 2x/3x ETF or options. My read on the tweet is that he is saying it behaves like a leveraged fund -- large % rises, large % falls.

A company can sort of be leveraged ("geared") if it has a high debt to equity ratio. No idea if that's the case here.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
They mean it’s leveraged to something. Like a junior gold miner is extremely leveraged to the price of gold — if gold moons a junior minor goes more because it’s way more valuable, if gold craters it goes to 0. Knowing nothing about the company but the tweets I presume FSLY is very leveraged because they have an exclusivish contract with some big boy so they’re going to move like the big guy but more so

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

A company can sort of be leveraged ("geared") if it has a high debt to equity ratio. No idea if that's the case here.

yes, agreed; I was trying avoid the use of the term "financial leverage" in my response and that's why I put leverage in quotes and made the comparison to leveraged ETFs and options.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

In FSLY's specific case I think it's because its investors are in it because of some kind of exponential growth path, and if it departs from that, they want out. So a miss on guidance/growth is super bad for a company with negative EPS and negative FCF whose only plan to return on equity is to grow fast enough to make it worth it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/Hedgeye/status/1316776733543104513?s=20

calls on torches

no specific insight here other than driving home how WELL aware hedge funds and conservative insiders were about corona risks to market in february

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pmchem posted:

In FSLY's specific case I think it's because its investors are in it because of some kind of exponential growth path, and if it departs from that, they want out. So a miss on guidance/growth is super bad for a company with negative EPS and negative FCF whose only plan to return on equity is to grow fast enough to make it worth it.

Ahhhhh

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Time and time again you wonderful people are a wealth of knowledge.

It was nice to see PLTR get a pop at the end of day. I was able to work my CB down almost a whole dollar on this last dip. My entry was not very good, but I like it long term so whatever.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm so paranoid of insider trading now. One of my short put positions expiring tomorrow hasn't closed out yet (AEL), the price just hasn't been coming down like it should. No news since the $36 bid from mass mutual was announced, and there's only a few hours left before this thing expires worthless. But implied IV just keeps going up on no news and a flatlined stock.

I really wanted to sell another 1k+ worth of it today, but just this nagging thought "someone knows something, I'm gonna get hosed" stopped me. But really, I think if someone knew the bid would get rejected tonight or tomorrow, volume would have been higher on even more oom strikes.... And contracts would be executing at the ask, not just seeing abnormal bid prices.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

decypher posted:

Time and time again you wonderful people are a wealth of knowledge.

It was nice to see PLTR get a pop at the end of day. I was able to work my CB down almost a whole dollar on this last dip. My entry was not very good, but I like it long term so whatever.

Same here. I will buy almost every dip. I'm irrational about this stupid black box company.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Same here. I will buy almost every dip. I'm irrational about this stupid black box company.

$$$ Let’s buy villas after it’s all said and done. $$$

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think pltr is kind of an interesting case. projecting out the most insane, terrible, dystopian cyberpunk surveillance panopticon of the future would result in huge gains for this company, yes? that's the value proposition? i can understand that. but their contracting is mostly thru the gov, which doesn't result in huge swings, yes? like look at raytheon, up 7.97% over 5 years, well, kinda disingenuous, was up 65% till the march crash. lockheed up 80% (105 before crash). SPY is up 72% over same period...

IDK

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Don't forget Raytheon recently merged with United in April, which had just spun off two companies. That corporate messiness makes it a little harder to unpack the March crash and recovery

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zypher posted:

Don't forget Raytheon recently merged with United in April, which had just spun off two companies. That corporate messiness makes it a little harder to unpack the March crash and recovery

ah, i c

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yes hello, SEC? This guy right here

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/jbob8s/the_harder_they_soar_the_fsly_they_fall_44k_380k/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

:stare:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

I'm so paranoid of insider trading now. (words)

well, you should be. the SEC isn't doing poo poo about it under the last couple years of this admin

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Baddog posted:

I'm so paranoid of insider trading now. One of my short put positions expiring tomorrow hasn't closed out yet (AEL), the price just hasn't been coming down like it should. No news since the $36 bid from mass mutual was announced, and there's only a few hours left before this thing expires worthless. But implied IV just keeps going up on no news and a flatlined stock.

I really wanted to sell another 1k+ worth of it today, but just this nagging thought "someone knows something, I'm gonna get hosed" stopped me. But really, I think if someone knew the bid would get rejected tonight or tomorrow, volume would have been higher on even more oom strikes.... And contracts would be executing at the ask, not just seeing abnormal bid prices.

Unless you're an insider or related to an insider you're just fine. And if you're working for a publicly traded company just ask your investor relations or compliance or sarbanes Oxley person. It would be really unlikely that you would even appear on an SEC radar unless you were moving 3 figures minimum, or have a sandwich board on 1st ave.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fuuuuuck that's awesome for that dude.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hasn't PLTR never posted a profit? Although I don't know why I worry about things like that anymore with regard to share price

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Hasn't PLTR never posted a profit? Although I don't know why I worry about things like that anymore with regard to share price
Nope, and their projections for this year are borderline criminal. I posted about this in the Discord a couple times when they IPOd.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
doing this on robinhood tops this off
:discourse:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Josh Lyman posted:

Nope, and their projections for this year are borderline criminal. I posted about this in the Discord a couple times when they IPOd.

Discord????

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CompeAnansi posted:

Discord????

Sent you the link via PM. For anyone else reading this, there's a permalink in I think the megathread OP for BFC.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

VelociBacon posted:

Sent you the link via PM. For anyone else reading this, there's a permalink in I think the megathread OP for BFC.

Thanks! I hadn't looked at the BFC megathread, but I did make sure to check the OP here before posting.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

Unless you're an insider or related to an insider you're just fine. And if you're working for a publicly traded company just ask your investor relations or compliance or sarbanes Oxley person. It would be really unlikely that you would even appear on an SEC radar unless you were moving 3 figures minimum, or have a sandwich board on 1st ave.

I have zero insider knowledge. Worried the people on the other side of the trade do, because the option isn't decaying. So didn't double and triple down today.

Will find out tomorrow....

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
How about that, HYLN finally generating a headline.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yep too bad it was immediately drowned out by the bad news. Goldman announced a PT of $22 and then a few hours later it became public knowledge that registered warrants need to be filled by 10/22. Warrants are trading at $12 and redemption costs 11.50, so that means for the next week there's going to be a ton of downward pressure towards 23.50. Or lower if the common price keeps falling. 99% of the retail market doesn't understand SPAC warrants or PIPEs.

It's a decent put opportunity, but you're gambling that HYLN won't announce anything in the next week. They've been totally silent and it's making their retail investors insane.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

99% of the retail market doesn't understand SPAC warrants or PIPEs.
Anyone willing to write up an overview cause I can't say I really understand them.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Re: PLTR

Their revenue is at least increasing where they should turn a profit eventually, right? Their revenue is up 46% year over year.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

dougdrums posted:

Anyone willing to write up an overview cause I can't say I really understand them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SPACs/comments/icya8v/a_beginners_faq_guide_to_spac_warrants/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

Re: PLTR

Their revenue is at least increasing where they should turn a profit eventually, right? Their revenue is up 46% year over year.

There's a lot of companies to bet money on, and a lot of them are Bad Guys, but PLTR is on that top level along with the defense contractors. Don't try to make money betting on human suffering and universal surveillance IMO

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m mad at myself for being greedy and holding out for a 100% gain instead of a 90% gain before earnings and now have nothing, but I am more mad at Dave & Busters for not believing in themselves as much as I did.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Folks, what should I hold this weekend, if anything.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
:hfive:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Folks, what should I hold this weekend, if anything.

TOS desktop app was freaking out and using all my CPU so I figured that means I shouldn't do anything today / hold anything over the weekend, it's a sign

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

TOS desktop app was freaking out and using all my CPU so I figured that means I shouldn't do anything today / hold anything over the weekend, it's a sign

Don’t you dare right click on the wrong thing.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

I have zero insider knowledge. Worried the people on the other side of the trade do, because the option isn't decaying. So didn't double and triple down today.

Will find out tomorrow....

It was bullshit paranoia, the bids went to zero pretty quickly this morning. Doh, missed out on money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
This week really wrecked me. I’ve got to get my head right for next week or stay out the game.