Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am at an impasse. I can't decide what color to paint my Warhansa Urbanmech.

On the one hand, painting it a utilitarian pattern, olive drab, or even doing it up in urban camo would be a fun challenge. On the other, I'm sorely tempted to paint it solid metallic gold.

Bright "don't shoot me" safety orange is also tempting.

Pink, the answer is always pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sadly I do not own a pink paint bright enough, or yellow paint at all. My only blues are very dark and I'm reserving the brightest green I have for something else.

Metallic gold is the brightest I can manage.

Edit: If I were to do anything up like a construction worker, it'd be the Cyclops. It looks like it's wearing a vest and helmet already.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 3, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
In that case, paint the UrbanMech metallic gold with flecks of white across the top of its canopy.

It's designed for urban combat, after all, so its owners just parked it in a city park during a cessation of hostilities and told everyone it was a statue. Then birds started making GBS threads on it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Hazard stripes. Hazard stripes -everywhere-

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The plan of a Kurita scion to host the "Golden Urbies" awards for "best colony" as a gambit to covertly place urban pacification forces in key locations drew sharp criticism from many within the regime, but ultimately moved forward due to a lack of better ideas.

Edit: Or would that be more of a CapCon sort of move?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kuritas don't need to covertly place those forces. They just do it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Urbie's not especially good at shooting civilians in any case, a determined infantry platoon is an Urbanmech's worst nightmare.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

paragon1 posted:

The plan of a Kurita scion to host the "Golden Urbies" awards for "best colony" as a gambit to covertly place urban pacification forces in key locations drew sharp criticism from many within the regime, but ultimately moved forward due to a lack of better ideas.

Edit: Or would that be more of a CapCon sort of move?

If they have time to do that, surely they have time to just hide barrels of napalm and explosives everywhere.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurita would probably just hand out flamethrowers to the local garrison, whatever they're made up of, then ask them to go to work. No need to get a mech involved.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Too much effort for succession wars House Kurita.

They'd just order a pit to be dug, put a katana in it point up, and tell the pit-diggers to jump in and aim for the katana. Then they'd tell the neighbors to collect the bodies followed by immediately telling them to jump in after.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Too much effort for succession wars House Kurita.

They'd just order a pit to be dug, put a katana in it point up, and tell the pit-diggers to jump in and aim for the katana. Then they'd tell the neighbors to collect the bodies followed by immediately telling them to jump in after.

An excellent way to cycle the hole-digging economy and ensure full employment!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am at an impasse. I can't decide what color to paint my Warhansa Urbanmech.

On the one hand, painting it a utilitarian pattern, olive drab, or even doing it up in urban camo would be a fun challenge. On the other, I'm sorely tempted to paint it solid metallic gold.

Grey trashcan with Oscar the Grouch on the cockpit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sadly I do not own a pink paint bright enough, or yellow paint at all. My only blues are very dark and I'm reserving the brightest green I have for something else.

Metallic gold is the brightest I can manage.

Edit: If I were to do anything up like a construction worker, it'd be the Cyclops. It looks like it's wearing a vest and helmet already.

Ah well. If there's any combination of words I'd use to describe the mwo urbanmech, it's "scrunt zaku," but you can't really go wrong with an oscar statue either.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Urbie's not especially good at shooting civilians in any case, a determined infantry platoon is an Urbanmech's worst nightmare.

As someone who played through the Crescent Hawk's Revenge video game back in Caveman Times, i can attest to this. Urbies are poo poo against Infantry.

God drat I hated that mission.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rorahusky posted:

As someone who played through the Crescent Hawk's Revenge video game back in Caveman Times, i can attest to this. Urbies are poo poo against Infantry.

God drat I hated that mission.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of a mech designed for urban combat?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of a mech designed for urban combat?

As has been mentioned before, the Urbanmech is actually pretty terrible at its stated job.

It can't even jump over most mid-height urban buildings.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The Urbanmech exists to be cute and useless.

Since its survivability is so low the only simple way to make it more useful is to upgrade its armaments to either a walking bomb or something longer-range with higher damage in the hope that it can do something meaningful before it is destroyed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, basically.

Incidentally, this is why the CattleMaster story from Total Warfare is so funny.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That story made me sad. Those farmers were so determined.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

vorebane posted:

That story made me sad. Those farmers were so determined.

These feelings are not mutually exclusive.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Anyone want to give advice on what I, the thunder hawk, should do here?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Neopie posted:

Ultimately, your lance as a whole needs to pick a single target and focus fire it down. Consult with your teammates, pick a Clanner, and kill it. The Kingfisher is in all your faces and should be pretty easy to hit, and is already damaged. Alternatively that King Cobra has a lower movement modifier, and is nearly as close. The Nightstar is giving you his rear arc...for a couple of your lance anyway...but there's something to be said for letting the allied Cyclops take the Nightstar's heat for a little while longer. But don''t let her get killed!

As far as you personally, the fact that you know that the Dire Wolf is the one going to shoot you lets you maneuver to make his shots harder. Try to keep something between you and him if you can while making sure you can see your lance's chosen victim is a short term solution, but if you hide for too long he can choose another target.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neopie posted:

According to the public googledoc your teammates are using most of your lance is focusing on the Kingfisher, I'd probably walk one hex up to 2333 and just unload on it, maybe put contingencies on the King Cobra just in case. You can fire all Gauss Rifles and two of your Medium Lasers and remain heat neutral. As you're in an assault there's not a lot of movement options available to you, and a common point veterans like to hammer into newbies is to focus fire because an enemy killed now is one who can't shoot at you later. It's always better to pile damage on and try to knock someone out as quickly as possible instead of weakening each enemy piecemeal, as they can still shoot back at you while you do.

So long as you and the rest of the southern lance gets stuck in and tries to knock people out as quickly as possible, you should manage. The King Cobra can't melee anybody so long as it's not an ACE and it won't be an ACE unless the Cyclops NPC bites it.

Shame the northern lance underestimated how quickly those fast and heavily-armed Clan Mediums could close in on the Cyclops' butt but, well, them's the breaks. Hope they manage to land their own backshots.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A reminder that as far as we know if you put the King Cobra as a contingency it becomes your primary due to Distracting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

A reminder that as far as we know if you put the King Cobra as a contingency it becomes your primary due to Distracting.

Oh I forgot about that. Yeah, probably want to contingency the Nightstar then.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm going to overheat this turn but I think it is worth it for the chance of putting as much as I can into the rear of the Kingfisher, I'll restrain my firepower next turn to help cool off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zaodai posted:

Oh, hmm.

PoptartsNinja, I put in the King Cobra as my contingency target if the Kingfisher LOS was blocked by a crane. Would distracting make me fire on it anyway? If so, I can edit my orders to pick another contingency target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can always edit orders right up until the point I start working on an update. Once that happens I'm afraid all bets are off as I probably won't check my messages until after the update is finished.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

Ah well. If there's any combination of words I'd use to describe the mwo urbanmech, it's "scrunt zaku," but you can't really go wrong with an oscar statue either.

Sold. Dark green body, light green arms and legs.

... With metallic gold (or would bronze be better? It'd look nicer with the green I think) hazard stripes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sold. Dark green body, light green arms and legs.

... With metallic gold (or would bronze be better? It'd look nicer with the green I think) hazard stripes.

Bronze is a natural fit to be sure, but gold is positively Capellan. Either works, we all trust in your judgment.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xarbala posted:

Shame the northern lance underestimated how quickly those fast and heavily-armed Clan Mediums could close in on the Cyclops' butt but, well, them's the breaks. Hope they manage to land their own backshots.

We didn't underestimate them as much as we collectively hosed up LoS calculation. :suicide: And unless I am mistaken about the strict zell thing, only the Nightstar can fire at the cyclops right now.

Also, cant decide between walking to 1811 and shooting the Battle Cobra A versus shooting the Wyvern IIC.

If I am counting correctly, I would be shooting the Battle Cobra A at 10 ( 4 gunnery + 2 med range + 3 move mod + 1 walked ), but Archer is shooting at it too, so there is larger chance of doing proper damage.

The Wyvern IIC I would be shooting at 8 (It has only +1 move mod), assuming I am counting the range correctly and its still in medium range, but nobody else will be shooting it with me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
8s are far better odds than 10s- You're more than twice as likely to hit on 8s as you are with 10s.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

paint it like a great orange traffic cone. Maybe one of those annoying yellow light LED billboards on its back.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that orders are due today, in case anyone hasn't sent them.

TheParadigm posted:

paint it like a great orange traffic cone. Maybe one of those annoying yellow light LED billboards on its back.

You overestimate my painting ability. The Urbanmech's only a little bigger than a quarter, it's pretty tiny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also a reminder that the googledoc is open to edits by the public so you don't need any special permissions to post in it. As I've clearly done.

If neither tokenbrownguy nor any of the listed alternates are available or currently able to follow the thread, maybe it's time to tap in a veteran who hasn't yet had a second go. I know both me and Knox were cycled in but DI would probs be interested in helping the LC get a much-needed win.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Update's delayed until Wednesday to give Neopie a chance to get orders in. I know she's working right now and just forgot the deadline again, but the players can't do without the Thunder Hawk this fight and giving the Clans a turn of free damage would be crippling.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Hey Poptarts, my card doesn't like SA anymore and I can't buy Platinum.

I'll have to resort to e-mails the next time, so sign me up using fjgr89@gmail.com

Thanks!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Got it!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Apropos of nothing, I think I really want to get http://www.gambody.com/3d-models/mechwarrior-atlas and maybe try to cast it in bronze or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
gently caress poo poo goddamnit the email is in MT DRAFTS ONE MOMENT

• Locked thread