Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

credburn posted:

Haha wait, so the bike is the only vehicle? You open a window where you have to select your vehicle. It looks like it should be full of options as I progress through the game.
That's what I thought, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The story mode in Marvel's Avengers is really hampered by taking way too long to introduce characters and then also too often forcing you to use certain characters. Which is especially annoying at the end of the game where you're forced to use Captain America who doesn't have anything unlocked.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Kind of a bummer they keep re-releasing remakes and remasters of their other games but will never do a Xenogears remaster. Just clean up the graphics, make them sharper in hd , and complete the second disc. Is that so much to ask? Also redo the platforming on that tower of Babel . You'd get a random encounter jumping between platforms, then when the battle was over you'd have lost all momentum and fall down to the very bottom.

A weird thing abut Xenogears to me was Billy having a special attack that was his Xeno putting his dad in a bullet and shooting it at an enemy. He talked about his dad like he was dead, but somehow he was always ressurected and then shot at a giant crab boss.

I think if they finished the second disc the game would be like 100 hours long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Two issues with voiced lines in rune factory 5:

- It's common for games with a lot of text boxes to only have full voice acting for certain lines, like during important story sequences or character intros, then fall back to silence or brief vocalizations for the rest of the text. For some reason this game mixes these in the same conversation with no rhyme or reason, so lines about the next story objective will be completely silent followed by a character suddenly saying "you did a good thing for us, protagonist" out loud. It's weird and arbitrary, and it's hard to concentrate as I tend to settle into either reading or listening.

- Anytime you have an NPC shop menu open, they repeat the same line every 10 seconds like clockwork while you're trying to read what they're selling. devs. please. do not do this.

I would simply turn voice volume down to 0 except the blacksmith sounds exactly like Serious Sam, so I can't do that

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Visceral sense memory. Thanks! Please don't.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Kind of a bummer they keep re-releasing remakes and remasters of their other games but will never do a Xenogears remaster. Just clean up the graphics, make them sharper in hd

Yeah, that wouldn't be too expensive or

quote:

and complete the second disc. Is that so much to ask?

Oh. If they had somehow had the means to complete what they had planned for the second disc, the game would've been four discs probably. There was planned stuff that got cut so hard it wasn't even mentioned in the Narration Zone which itself takes up several hours.

quote:

A weird thing abut Xenogears to me was Billy having a special attack that was his Xeno putting his dad in a bullet and shooting it at an enemy. He talked about his dad like he was dead, but somehow he was always ressurected and then shot at a giant crab boss.

There actually is a scene right after the boss where he uses that move where Jesse reveals that he wasn't killed by the gun-that-fires-dads and explains that he modified the design not to murder the pilot because why would that have been the design in the first place?!

God, Xenogears owns actually.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Xenogears is one of the best jrpgs from the PS1 era even with a second half that ran out of budget and the occasionally incredibly laughable moment like giant Chu Chu getting crucified

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The xbox version of Banjo Kazooie somehow removed the dialogue skip button combo

This a real loving drag for the first couple of levels where literally everyone and everything feels the need to give a short introduction, including the Jiggy doing it twice

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kit Walker posted:

Xenogears is one of the best jrpgs from the PS1 era even with a second half that ran out of budget and the occasionally incredibly laughable moment like giant Chu Chu getting crucified

lmao, favourite little thing for me is getting reminded of this

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
AI Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative I guess it’s one of the littlest things ever but for whatever reason (maybe because there’s a tamogatchi minigame that runs off of IRL time?) the game timer doesn’t turn off when in sleep mode, at least on the Switch version, so I’m at 99:99:99 and I don’t think I’ve played for ten hours yet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The car physics in Mad Max are shockingly bad considering driving is such a big part of the game. One litteratur bump in the road and my car does a flip.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sally posted:

lmao, favourite little thing for me is getting reminded of this

I played that game so much as a child and it’s so deeply rooted in my brain that that’s the form death is going to take when it comes for me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Xenogears ... ... ?!

Its weird and inconsistent... ?! punctuation!!!!

!!

Ruined the game for me?! I couldn't tell what ... ... ?! the mood was supposed to be half the time!!! ???

And even after all this time, to look back at it I still can't tell what Grahf is supposed to look like.

He looks like a metal demon making a grinning "Duh??" face with drool coming off his lips and like a giant snot drop hanging from his pointy nose. I feel like it's just a weird angle but I can't manipulate it in my head for it to make sense.

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Sep 12, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You’ll be happy (?) to know the design aesthetic behind Grahf’s armor is alive and well in XBC3 in the stupid loving Moebius designs all over the shop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

credburn posted:

Xenogears ... ... ?!

Its weird and inconsistent... ?! punctuation!!!!

!!

Ruined the game for me?! I couldn't tell what ... ... ?! the mood was supposed to be half the time!!! ???

And even after all this time, to look back at it I still can't tell what Grahf is supposed to look like.

He looks like a metal demon making a grinning "Duh??" face with drool coming off his lips and like a giant snot drop hanging from his pointy nose. I feel like it's just a weird angle but I can't manipulate it in my head for it to make sense.

what you’re seeing as the face’s “mouth” is the gap between the mask and his neck. the mask has two big horizontal spikes on the left and right temples with tassels hanging off them. the “snot” is one of those tassels

e: or should I say -Mouth- and -Snot-

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bussamove posted:

You’ll be happy (?) to know the design aesthetic behind Grahf’s armor is alive and well in XBC3 in the stupid loving Moebius designs all over the shop.
This set me up for enormous disappointment when I realized it didn't mean dressing as Arzach

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

what you’re seeing as the face’s “mouth” is the gap between the mask and his neck. the mask has two big horizontal spikes on the left and right temples with tassels hanging off them. the “snot” is one of those tassels

e: or should I say -Mouth- and -Snot-

I couldn't see the "mouth" at all until you pointed it out, but now that you have, I like credburn's interpretation of the face than the actual intent. Grahf is just having a hell of a time loving with your party! He's so happy!

Edit: I still see the "nose" as the side of the helmet with a tassel though. He just has a flat face with a big happy smile at the bottom!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Two issues with voiced lines in rune factory 5:

- It's common for games with a lot of text boxes to only have full voice acting for certain lines, like during important story sequences or character intros, then fall back to silence or brief vocalizations for the rest of the text. For some reason this game mixes these in the same conversation with no rhyme or reason, so lines about the next story objective will be completely silent followed by a character suddenly saying "you did a good thing for us, protagonist" out loud. It's weird and arbitrary, and it's hard to concentrate as I tend to settle into either reading or listening.

- Anytime you have an NPC shop menu open, they repeat the same line every 10 seconds like clockwork while you're trying to read what they're selling. devs. please. do not do this.

I would simply turn voice volume down to 0 except the blacksmith sounds exactly like Serious Sam, so I can't do that

I'm having the same problem with Rune Factory 4 S, where most of the characters have annoying voices and I'm willing to just turn them off entirely, but I like a couple of them so I haven't fully turned them off yet. Bado the smith, never change

This game also holds your hand to an insane degree, even though I can clearly tell it doesn't need to. I beat the first boss entirely unprompted, with everybody surprised I had already been there without being asked to. Great! Let me explore! It's been a week now, can I have a loving pickaxe to clear out the stones on my farm yet??? :shepface:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

credburn posted:

Yeah his design absolutely doesn’t work from that angle. It makes a lot more sense if you look at it from the front:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Dyson Sphere Program:

Played though this right when it released and I think it was technically still early access, been going through it again recently and there are a lot of great QOL improvements they've made since launch. Only glaring omission is there's still no waste sink like they have in Satisfactory. There's an alternate recipe for making graphene which turns something called fire ice directly into it graphene with a hydrogen byproduct. I'm using all that graphene elsewhere but there isn't really a good way to get rid of all the hydrogen being produced along with it. Hydrogen is already infinite since you can harvest it from gas giants and those supply more than you'll ever need, any being produced by the graphene recipe doesn't really have anywhere to go. Hydrogen is used to produce things elsewhere but there's no way to set the byproduct hydrogen as priority demand, logistics vessels will just take it from whichever source is closest. Only options I see are to either build large stacks of fluid storage which will eventually fill up and stop the graphene production when the chemical plants can't output the hydrogen anymore, or try to burn it all off. Even with a relatively modest production line enough hydrogen is produced that I would have to build massive generator farms to burn it all up producing energy that wouldn't be used for anything. Processing it into deuterium is pointless since that's infinitely supplied by the same gas giants already.

As far as I can tell hydrogen is the only material where this is ever an issue. I can go back to the planet making graphene periodically to manually delete all the hydrogen in liquid storage when it eventually backs up but it's kind of weird that with the level of consideration they put into everything else in the game there's not just a building to automatically delete waste products. They're still developing the game further, maybe one will show up in a future update.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm always short on hydrogen, even with 4-5 gas giants working. Pipe it to a interstellar port and get them to wherever casimir crystals are being made, them shits is hydro hungry

Alternatively, you can send it to a world with 50-100 fractionators and get deuterium

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Sep 13, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Evilreaver posted:

I'm always short on hydrogen, even with 4-5 gas giants working. Pipe it to a interstellar port and get them to wherever casimir crystals are being made, them shits is hydro hungry

Alternatively, you can send it to a world with 50-100 fractionators and get deuterium

Are you only putting a few collectors on each gas giant? Took a while but I fully automated production for them, now I have at least 3 giants where the equators are completely encircled by 40 collectors. I don't monitor how much they're gathering but I put down huge hydrogen power plants on new planets all the time and they always fill up without issue, I just treat it as infinite and if it ever starts to run dry I'll take 5 minutes to locate and encircle another gas giant. Hydrogen/deuterium/fire ice are things you never have to worry about past a certain point.

Already making a billion casimir crystals but maybe I can add some more production lines on the same planet as the graphene to use it all up making even more.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Are you only putting a few collectors on each gas giant? Took a while but I fully automated production for them, now I have at least 3 giants where the equators are completely encircled by 40 collectors. I don't monitor how much they're gathering but I put down huge hydrogen power plants on new planets all the time and they always fill up without issue, I just treat it as infinite and if it ever starts to run dry I'll take 5 minutes to locate and encircle another gas giant. Hydrogen/deuterium/fire ice are things you never have to worry about past a certain point.

Already making a billion casimir crystals but maybe I can add some more production lines on the same planet as the graphene to use it all up making even more.

The trick is that if a starport is supplying hydrogen, the logistics system will prefer to send out those ships that are full of H2 rather than send a ship to a gas giant, which has to make a round trip. It's fine to let the collectors on gas giants fill up. I think there's also an option on starports that says "don't take from gas giants" but like most things in the game it's weirdly worded (also it's been a while since I played)

Also 5 gas giants isn't enough because I'm at the point where I've got 50 dyson spheres lmao

That said, I'm not a fan of monopole magnets, a resource that is rare and quite finite. Realistically it would be pretty hard to run out (especially as I'm at <1% ore usage) but still that would permanently lock me out of Tech 2 miners. I'm already locked out of "build a dyson sphere on a red giant" achievement since my cluster didn't fuckin have one

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Sep 13, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

The trick is that if a starport is supplying hydrogen, the logistics system will prefer to send out those ships that are full of H2 rather than send a ship to a gas giant, which has to make a round trip. It's fine to let the collectors on gas giants fill up. I think there's also an option on starports that says "don't take from gas giants" but like most things in the game it's weirdly worded (also it's been a while since I played)

Also 5 gas giants isn't enough because I'm at the point where I've got 50 dyson spheres lmao

Didn't see the option if it exists, that would at least work as a temporary solution. All the text in the game is extremely weird, I don't know if they're trying to go with some sort of "this is what English will sound like 1000 years in the future" thing or if they had an ordinary script and then ran it back and forth through an online translator. The broken English seems intentional to some extent since the narrator speaks without any discernible accent but I don't know why they would choose to do that, it just makes things hard to understand.

quote:

That said, I'm not a fan of monopole magnets, a resource that is rare and quite finite. Realistically it would be pretty hard to run out (especially as I'm at <1% ore usage) but still that would permanently lock me out of Tech 2 miners. I'm already locked out of "build a dyson sphere on a red giant" achievement since my cluster didn't fuckin have one

Yeah, putting Mk.2 smelters behind a resource that has ~2 million total in the entire star cluster and can't be accessed until the end game is a strange decision. First time I played through I just finished the dyson sphere around my home system and completed the final "win the game" research shortly after, never went through with building another sphere around the black hole like I planned and think I just used the magnets to make more of those purple energy things. Maybe I'll play long enough to make more spheres his time, last time I played I don't think blueprints were even a thing and they've been the most massive difference between this playthrough and the last. That and geothermal energy to set up forge planets without the need for any other energy infrastructure.

Dev updates say they're adding combat in the future and I still don't see how that's going to fit into the game at all. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dev updates say they're adding combat in the future and I still don't see how that's going to fit into the game at all. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Once you have a star caught in a ball, you can send it out and battle other stars

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Devil May Cry 3's chapter 19 boss' second phase (not the final boss, but effectively the last real one) is abysmally designed, and made finally finishing the game miserable instead of... well honestly still not great but at least better.

"Team up with your rival character to fight the big bad! By the way we have taken away your style move (in my case the dodge, because as mentioned before why wouldn't it be) to replace it with a literally worthless teamwork mechanic. We have also taken away the Devil Trigger that you were probably using for both healing and sustainable damage-dealing; literally no reason for that, we just disabled the button. Now fight this amorphous blob of purple that literally doesn't fit on the screen; good luck seeing and understanding its tells, because we've taken away all your tools that aid in actual damage mitigation."

DMC3 was my least favorite of the PS2 DMCs. And even I think that feels wrong, surely I somehow played the entirety of DMC3 wrong or accidentally played the forbidden 'DMC2: Actually Kinda Good Edition', but even aside from that DMC3 has some moments that are just genuinely terrible, and that boss is the king of them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm feeling like Nier:Automata's Route B is super unnecessary. It adds a few extra cutscenes and sequences that could have just been played in Route A without having me replay all of Route A with a different character. Oh well, I'm told Route C is where it gets real good!

So far N:A has managed to crawl itself into "I don't hate it" territory. I'm not really sold on its story or handling of themes yet, but it's okay. Problem is there's so much unnecessary stuff in it that it's hard to actually like. There's almost no characters in it, every quest feels like some MMO fetch quest bullshit. Well, when it's not escort quest bullshit. The entire open world feels completely unnecessary. A tighter focused game would have been so much better. Going through Route B and it's looking to be super short because it's not padded out with me running all around the place picking up items I no longer care about or wandering around completing quests that aren't worth my time. The actual game in here is surrounded with so much poo poo.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Sep 13, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just checking, you aren’t actually picking up all the item drops, are you? There’s a chip you can pick up that’s literally “hoover up item drops that you walk by” but your post kinda makes it sound like you haven’t bought it yet.

Also different strokes and all, but the side quests are largely what elevates Automata from “pretty good I guess?” to personal GOAT contender, they’re nearly all these pieces of insight into the world of Automata or just weird hosed up black comedy, though I at least get not being onboard with the actual execution of an escort quest that’s an anti-war rally that involves murdering a small army even if the premise is funny as hell. Glad you’re not hating it at least!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I didn't get the item pickup thing but I did just stop picking things up entirely so that's just as good! The crafting system kinda lost me anyway. I don't care about it now unless the game forces me to engage with it but I'd probably just put it down to easy before then.

And yeah the little story/world bits to the quests are fun but they bookend really boring and generic gameplay, especially with the travel time factored in. It probably doesn't help that I finished Elden Ring just recently (yes, I did say I quit but then I wanted to see the rest of it so grinded up some levels to power through it), which also suffered from open world bloat. So maybe I'm especially sensitive to it and really could do with a nice tight experience.

Also the more I play Route B the more I think it's super dumb A and B weren't combined/interlaced. It uplifts the experience a lot more to have this extra context. The first 14 hours I played could have been so much better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Route B thing is kind of a homage to the previous Nier game where without getting too into story stuff you can understand the language the antagonists speak because you’re playing from the perspective of a party member possessed by one.

But mostly it’s just a way to pad out the game time because Cavia think people’ll be ripped off to just play a tight 15-20 hour JRPG for $60. :v: and gently caress with people who played Nier Replicant who were just expecting five playthroughs and not Route C to be the other half of the game. I don’t mind it partly because Replicant really is a slog in a lot of ways Automata isn’t with side quests that are all “collect twelve bear asses in tedious back and forth fetch quest” without the part where you see a reenactment of Romeo and Juliet or watch a crazy kungfu robot get bulkier as he tricks himself out. but like, I can see why others like yourself wouldn’t vibe with it as much

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing about route B is that you can hack every enemy and it takes seconds to get through a fight.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

My Lovely Horse posted:

The thing about route B is that you can hack every enemy and it takes seconds to get through a fight.

And it seemsly drops in and out of the chiptune songs

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Last Celebration posted:

The Route B thing is kind of a homage to the previous Nier game where without getting too into story stuff you can understand the language the antagonists speak because you’re playing from the perspective of a party member possessed by one.

But mostly it’s just a way to pad out the game time because Cavia think people’ll be ripped off to just play a tight 15-20 hour JRPG for $60. :v: and gently caress with people who played Nier Replicant who were just expecting five playthroughs and not Route C to be the other half of the game. I don’t mind it partly because Replicant really is a slog in a lot of ways Automata isn’t with side quests that are all “collect twelve bear asses in tedious back and forth fetch quest” without the part where you see a reenactment of Romeo and Juliet or watch a crazy kungfu robot get bulkier as he tricks himself out. but like, I can see why others like yourself wouldn’t vibe with it as much

Nier was a troll, but not in a fun way. Having your characters acknowledge that the quests are unfun and tedious doesn't make them less unfun or tedious, and the big twist was basically spoiled the first time you get to the Aerie.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
N:A is an all or nothing game imo

I love it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My only quibble with Automata's sidequests are that the game implies to you, less and less subtly as it goes, that you don't need to do every one of them and they are only worth investigating if their premise interests you... except there's still an XP system and you're not told the expected level of the enemies to come in a sidequest area, so you still need to walk there anyway if only to find out how strong the enemies are. Lots of times I was interested in a sidequest as per the game's suggestion and then I went there and it turned out I could only do it 20 hours later when I probably wouldn't care nearly as much. Game just couldn't make up its mind about whether it wanted me to be a completionist or not.

edit: Honestly comes down to the sidequests feeling a bit random in how they are distributed throughout the world. There was a lot of "Can I do it yet? No? Ok, I'll come back later." tedium involved in just checking to see if I'd get killed in one hit anymore or not.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Sep 13, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Back in my day you couldn't skip the cutscenes :corsair:

I used picture in picture while playing some videogames in my younger days.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Philippe posted:

Nier was a troll, but not in a fun way. Having your characters acknowledge that the quests are unfun and tedious doesn't make them less unfun or tedious, and the big twist was basically spoiled the first time you get to the Aerie.

Na, don’t get me wrong, Replicant was a 6/10 game, I don’t regret my time with it insofar as I really liked Automata a lot and seeing stuff like the leitmotifs that carry over between Replicant and Automata like Dispossession/Starry Sky but it’s telling wrt it’s jank that probably the best part of the game is set up so you’ll only unlock it months/years after playing the game on a replay without a guide.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
As described to me by a friend, Yoko Taro's storytelling is amazing, but it took until Nier for it to finally be paired with gameplay that wasn't actively detrimental to the experience.

And that's not to say Nier was fun, they just successfully managed to reach 'not actively unpleasant'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got all achievements twice in Nier Automata but its just "fine" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

I got all achievements twice in Nier Automata but its just "fine" to me.

I mean…isn’t “getting all the achievements” just getting enough machine cores to drop to buy the ones you wouldn’t get anyway with ingame currency?