Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Going into a 9.0 with the psychic awakening dropping so soon an having a book like that be good for a year tops would be a bad move, 8.5 sounds more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I find the prospect of a full 9th Edition box starring Space Marines vs. Necrons highly dubious, especially launched this early in the year, but it feels like it would be easy for someone with incomplete information to misinterpret Shadowspear 2: Electric Boogaloo (with monopose Gravis Expansion Wave and the monopose versions of a Necron refresh, kitted out to become SC boxes next Christmas) as a full 9th Edition starter box if all they have to go on is a preorder catalog.

I suppose we will probably see on Friday. Or Saturday? Depends on where you are in the world.

(Edit: it’s spelled boogaloo, not bogaloo.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 26, 2019

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am loving PUMPED to see how bad the Dark Angels' doctrine bonus is gonna be.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

Weird they didn’t put it in that White Dwarf article.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Safety Factor posted:

Extra victory points to the opponent, like God's chosen game 30k

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Going into a 9.0 with the psychic awakening dropping so soon an having a book like that be good for a year tops would be a bad move, 8.5 sounds more likely.

Third to 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th were all incremental changes that didn't invalidate previous content.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I seriously doubt they'll do another breaking change like 7th -> 8th again for a decade if not more. It'll be a slow evolution as before.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TTerrible posted:

I seriously doubt they'll do another breaking change like 7th -> 8th again for a decade if not more. It'll be a slow devolution as before.

Fixed this for you.

People should return to the purity of Rogue Trader and cast off the decadent trappings of this fallen age

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

For each unit you lose while Devastator Doctrine is active, your opponent gains an extra victory point. During Tactical Doctrine they gain two, and during Assault Doctrine they gain D3. In addition, all Dark Angels units only ever lose a single model from morale checks so long as the unit didn't move in its previous turn.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JBP posted:

The rumour is that 9th will come mid next year with a marines v necrons box. It's apparently from the same dude that released that timetable and psychic awakening info. Maybe that's why GW has gone this path instead of codex releases. Be interesting to see what happened next year I suppose.

Incidentally is this posted anywhere the way the end-of-year schedule was? Is there like an exact quote from the supposed leaker?

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

You may reroll 1s to hit if the firing unit remained stationary. While devastator doctrine is active, add 2 to the hit roll if the unit remained stationary in the previous movement phase or fires overwatch.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

As experienced Warhammer 40,000 players will know, Aeldari flyers are excellent picks for matched play due to their firepower, speed and durability. A number of options that our playtesters found were consistently overperforming have had their points nudged up. At 150 points, the Crimson Hunter Exarch remains a great choice, but is less of an “auto-include” – as is the Razorwing Jetfighter, now at 115 points.

:bisonyes:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Points wise think orkz are close to where they need to be.

Units I think need significant cuts:
1. HQs: Mech with KFF & Wartrike,
2. Pain boys and nob with banner
3. The new buggies

Units I think need modest point cuts:
1. Bikes, both types
2. Trucks
3. Burners

Units I think need teeny tiny point cuts:
1. Tankbustas
2. All the walkers

Units I think need tiny point increases:
1. Looters
2. Helicopters
3. Mechs (elites)
Edit: 4. Smasha guns

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 26, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Without a change to their stratagems and special rules... I think necrons need significant point cuts to their hqs and warriors.

Wouldn’t make the army designed better but at least there would be more punch.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Without a change to their stratagems and special rules... I think necrons need significant point cuts to their hqs and warriors.

Wouldn’t make the army designed better but at least there would be more punch.

If we're getting a new boxed set with the monopose component of a Necron line refresh (regardless of whether that takes the form of a full 9th edition with a new starter box, a formally-declared 8.5 edition, an 8.5-edition-in-all-but-name, or "just" another Shadowspear-type box), I can't imagine they aren't also getting a new codex like CSM II. And one hopes a Codex Necrons II could do some drat redesign. Maybe give the new Warriors kit some alternate gear options or something.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 26, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JBP posted:

The rumour is that 9th will come mid next year with a marines v necrons box. It's apparently from the same dude that released that timetable and psychic awakening info. Maybe that's why GW has gone this path instead of codex releases. Be interesting to see what happened next year I suppose.

Stephenls posted:

Incidentally is this posted anywhere the way the end-of-year schedule was? Is there like an exact quote from the supposed leaker?

Okay so I guess this is the rumor source.

Okay, that's... vague and less credible as a rumor, somehow, but also more likely at face value than as a misunderstanding. I'd misinterpreted the assertion as being from the same source as the leaked timetable, i.e. from someone with access to advanced preorder sheets because they work at a Central American store that needs to put in preorders earlier, which I believe was the source of the advanced schedule. That'd have put the plausible time horizon of predictions as within two or three months, which would have suggested a Shadowspear-like box released early next year (because I can't believe they'd do 9th Edition with only a few months' buildup and during like March). But this says next summer, which makes an actual 9th edition released during con season (the way 8th was in 2017) more likely... even as the vagueness of the rumor means the whole thing feels less likely.

It also means we probably won't see anything about it this weekend.

(Also, it doesn't say anything about the source being the guy who leaked the schedule. It says it was the guy who leaked Psychic Awakening and Slaves to Darkness. As far as I know, the leaked schedule came through entirely different channels and not a dude passing a rumor on to Valrak.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 26, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I know, I'm surprised they have playtesters too.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 26, 2019

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Would that point cut make regular chaos marines worth taking?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Okay so I guess this is the rumor source.

Okay, that's... vague and less credible as a rumor, somehow, but also more likely at face value than as a misunderstanding. I'd misinterpreted the assertion as being from the same source as the leaked timetable, i.e. from someone with access to advanced preorder sheets because they work at a Central American store that needs to put in preorders earlier, which I believe was the source of the advanced schedule. That'd have put the plausible time horizon of predictions as within two or three months, which would have suggested a Shadowspear-like box released early next year (because I can't believe they'd do 9th Edition with only a few months' buildup and during like March). But this says next summer, which makes an actual 9th edition released during con season (the way 8th was in 2017) more likely... even as the vagueness of the rumor means the whole thing feels less likely.

It also means we probably won't see anything about it this weekend.

(Also, it doesn't say anything about the source being the guy who leaked the schedule. It says it was the guy who leaked Psychic Awakening and Slaves to Darkness. As far as I know, the leaked schedule came through entirely different channels and not a dude passing a rumor on to Valrak.)

They did AoS 2.0 after three years, and with the current breakneck pace of Psychic Awakening books I can believe that they're a way to bring armies up roughly on par with each other before a new edition.

Once a new rulebook is out that opens the door for GW to go back and re-release some of the earlier codexes (such as AdMech, Tyranids, DA), incorporating the new rules they received in PA. However as everyone will have a valid codex, that means GW have more time to pace out these codexes and introduce new models with them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Seen this photo before, and while sort of funny I don't think there's technically anything wrong with it.

If you assume it's OK to have hover tanks with FLY, and it's OK for FLY units to ignore vertical distance and end up on top of scenery, then this is the logical conclusion of that. No different than putting a bunch of broadside battlesuits up there for example.

At least they are equally easy to see and shoot at from there right? It's not as awful as those AM lists you see where they just have like 6 Basilisks Castled in a corner facing any old direction to fit them all in out of sight.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Kinetica posted:

I don't know about "worth taking" but finally being cheaper than loyalist Marines at least makes it easier to justify and hamstrings you less.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kinetica posted:

I think they're pretty good now they've got bolter discipline and the extra attack.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Points wise think orkz are close to where they need to be.

Units I think need significant cuts:
1. HQs: Mech with KFF & Wartrike,
2. Pain boys and nob with banner
3. The new buggies

Units I think need modest point cuts:
1. Bikes, both types
2. Trucks
3. Burners

Units I think need teeny tiny point cuts:
1. Tankbustas
2. All the walkers

Units I think need tiny point increases:
1. Looters
2. Helicopters
3. Mechs (elites)
Edit: 4. Smasha guns

Stompa needs about a massive point cut.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kinetica posted:

Yes because a minimum sized squad is now only 5 points more than cultists but is as survivable and doles out more firepower. Red corsairs are the big winners, though I'm sad that my spiky 17 detachment is no longer 420 points.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Kinetica posted:

Not game breaking good but back to being at least as strong as they were in 5th.

Bolter drill and extra attack really gives them an edge.

Bodes well for me as I love big squads of Black legion.

I wonder if chosen will get a point drop also?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just got my 15mm Crusaders from Dreamforge. I need to decide what to convert them into. Nothing in the codex fits them exactly. Going through the book, it seems like my 4 best options are Deff Dredd, G(M)orkanaut, Gunwagon, and maybe Warboss?

1. Deff Dred seems to fit thematically best. The Crusader is a little bigger at 4.5", but close. The biggest problem is that Deff Dreads seem to want 3-4 melee weapon arms and I can't see a good way to do it. I can make a shooty Deff Dred, I guess.

2. G(M)orkanauts seem to work perfectly, but they have transport capacity that I will have to pay for and ignore, or figure out some way to represent on the model.

3. Gunwagon actually fits the model's capabilities really well, but doesn't look anything like the Crusader and also is a transport.

4. Warboss. I guess I could make this work somehow?

Also got 3 of these Cargo Mules that I am thinking of maybe using as platforms for Mek Guns, or maybe put grots riding on them and count them as orks with cybork bodies. I guess grot tanks might work too?

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 26, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Why you looking so sad Deptfordx"

'I Don't think my Death Company are as fighty as they could be.:('

"Friend have you heard about our new lord and saviour Blood of Baal"

':eyepop:'

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Stephenls posted:

If we're getting a new boxed set with the monopose component of a Necron line refresh (regardless of whether that takes the form of a full 9th edition with a new starter box, a formally-declared 8.5 edition, an 8.5-edition-in-all-but-name, or "just" another Shadowspear-type box), I can't imagine they aren't also getting a new codex like CSM II. And one hopes a Codex Necrons II could do some drat redesign. Maybe give the new Warriors kit some alternate gear options or something.

Ideally there would be rules for gauss weapons that make them not hot garbage and you could point them at tanks and be somewhat threatening. Its kind of amazing how the iconic Necron units just...aren't used because they're awful.

Reanimation protocols needs to be reworked completely, new units need to be added to shore up weaknesses (why can't crypteks use their anti psyker science to deny, again?), tomb world deploy needs to be untucked, and while I'm at it I'd like a pony.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Stephenls posted:

I find the prospect of a full 9th Edition box starring Space Marines vs. Necrons highly dubious, especially launched this early in the year, but it feels like it would be easy for someone with incomplete information to misinterpret Shadowspear 2: Electric Boogaloo (with monopose Gravis Expansion Wave and the monopose versions of a Necron refresh, kitted out to become SC boxes next Christmas) as a full 9th Edition starter box if all they have to go on is a preorder catalog.

I suppose we will probably see on Friday. Or Saturday? Depends on where you are in the world.

(Edit: it’s spelled boogaloo, not bogaloo.)

If you think 9th is unlikely then I'm certain it'll happen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Judging by how they rolled out AoS2.0, we're going to be in "8th" edition for the next few editions.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

If you think 9th is unlikely then I'm certain it'll happen.

I just thought it was unlikely they'd release it in February.

I'll go over my thinking for a bit here, because I enjoy rambling. There's a couple of different degrees of reliability for leakers. For example, at the very highest grade of reliability, you've got those guys in the production chain who leaked photos of the box and sprues for the at-that-point-unannounced Speed Freeks box. That was pretty obviously accurate immediately, because it was photos. Then, below that, you've got I-work-for-a-store-that-gets-preorder-lists-early-because-of-where-we-are guy, who leaked the entirety of the November/December release list. When that hit, people were like "Hmm, could be bullshit, seems weird they'd release Psychic Awakening 2 and 3 within a week of each other, but I guess we'll know when that first week he's predicting hits and we see whether the preorders match his list." It did, his preorders for that first week were accurate, and then the second week hit and those were accurate, and it became obvious that all the other weeks were going to be accurate, too.

Down near the bottom you've got "About two weeks before Psychic Awakening 1 came out, somebody told Valrak that Psychic Awakening 2 would have Black Templars in it." That turned out to be true but it sounded like any number of fake wish list "leaks" circulated around 4chan. I saw quite a lot of "It's gonna be Black Templars vs. Orks and probably it's gonna be Codex Armageddon Again and maybe we're getting a new Ghazghkull Thraka or even Angron" surrounding that one, none of which turned out to be true.

So when JPB said that "the same dude that released that timetable and psychic awakening info" had leaked this supposed 9th edition box, I thought he meant it was sourced from schedule-guy again, and that seemed interesting to me because a) that guy is looking at spreadsheets with product names/descriptions and price points, but because of the nature of his info, it's not really plausible that he can see more than two months into the future, or maybe three at the very most. So if he were the source for this, the most likely scenario to me seems to be that he's looking at a roughly Dark Imperium-priced boxed set that says Space Marines vs. Necrons, due out around February, and he's jumped to the conclusion that it's the 9th edition starter box.

I do not believe GW would release a new edition in February, and if they were doing a new edition, I don't think they'd release it without at least telegraphing HEY WE'RE GONNA DO SOMETHING BIG IN ABOUT TWO MONTHS by now. But they did release Shadowspear last March, and Shadowspear was a big box of Space Marines vs. Chaos Space Marines with a price point very near to Dark Imperium. Shadowspear 2: More Space Marines Again vs. Necron Refresh in February feels plausible.

Unfortunately, JBP misspoke. The leak is not from schedule guy. The leak, according to Valrak at least, is from Black-Templars-in-Psychic-Awakening-2 guy. That guy is not getting his info from two-months-in-advance preorder spreadsheets; he's getting it from somewhere within GW. Which means he's not limited to seeing only two months into the future.

Which suggests to me that it's much more likely to be bullshit, but if it's true, it's much more likely to be fully true and less likely to be a misinterpretation of another product that isn't a 9th edition boxed set but looks kinda like one on a preorder sheet if you go by MSRP.

Tl;dr yeah it's plausible we're getting Warhammer 40k 9th Edition this summer with a new starter box featuring Space Marines vs. Necrons. Probably an incremental edition that lets you keep using previous codexes.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 26, 2019

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
BT in PA2 also came from the French leaker source:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1440/780018.page#10587633
Been accurate so far, and I'd rate it higher than BOLS's daily wishlisting.

If the leaks are accurate, next PA release is SW vs Orks, with no hard date provided. SM vs Necrons does not conflict with anything we've heard so far.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

This Saturday's studio preview is likely to cover Slaves to Darkness for AoS, the rest of the 40k Sisters range, PA4, and hopefully the Adeptus Titanicus stuff expected in February.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

This Saturday's studio preview is likely to cover Slaves to Darkness for AoS, the rest of the 40k Sisters range, PA4, and hopefully the Adeptus Titanicus stuff expected in February.

Yeah, agreed. "I suppose we will probably see on Friday" was based on the probably-in-February assumption, which was hella-wrong.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Contingency posted:

BT in PA2 also came from the French leaker source:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1440/780018.page#10587633
Been accurate so far, and I'd rate it higher than BOLS's daily wishlisting.

If the leaks are accurate, next PA release is SW vs Orks, with no hard date provided. SM vs Necrons does not conflict with anything we've heard so far.

When all this launched they mentioned there'd be something for every army. Are there more books expected?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

When all this launched they mentioned there'd be something for every army. Are there more books expected?

Definitely. If they keep covering 2 factions at a time then we'll see around a dozen books.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I fully expect to hear about one or two more upcoming PA books at the 40k open day this weekend.
And Emperor knows what else because GW loves throwing curveballs at us these days.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Only the first 4 books have been identified in the linked source.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/cwx2vz/so_is_psychic_awakening_a_bunch_of_new_codices_or/
New rules were promised for each faction. New models have not been promised for every faction. There's nothing stopping GW from cranking out another Vigilus Defiant, where you get a few detachments, and that's it. There's also nothing stopping GW from continuing to release PA books after a 9E release.

PA4 with SW vs Orks is likely at this point. Necrons vs SM hasn't come from a reliable source yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So hypothetical Necron refresh.

A bit ago I said that the force opposite space marines in the next edition's starter box would fit three criteria:

1) Obvious bad guys, so not Eldar.
2) "Cool-looking" in a somewhat conventional way that would draw eyes to the cover of the boxed set in game stores, so not hot pink hair metal marines even though I'd love it if they did launch a new edition starring Ultramarines vs. hot pink hair metal marines.
3) Poorly served by the existing model range, so existing fans would get excited.

And then I turned around and said "So probably Orks or World Eaters, and not Necrons because even though their model range is old they look fine really." Which was a dumb thing to say.

Necrons as they currently stand don't have enough good HQs in plastic, but the HQs they do have are decent sculpts. The Canoptek constructs are fine, the vehicles are fine, Immortals/Deathmarks and Praetorians/Lychguard are fine. Honestly a lot of their model range is perfectly cromulent.

Destroyers kinda suck, and a new kit that lets you make them into Destroyer Lords without using a resin upgrade kit would be welcome. Flayed Ones are resin and suck. C'Tan Shards are resin and are also miserable, and are begging for a CAD plastic re-release on the scale of at least the Yncarne/new Abbadon or possibly Nagash.

Necron Warriors deserve some sort of award for Worst Plastic Basic Troops Kit That Isn't Actually Bad. Unlike the old Chaos Space Marines they look fine when assembled, but they're super spindly, their contact points are too small, and whoever designed that mold so the runners between the sprue and the heads connect at the interior of their concave cheeks did a bad thing.

So... yeah, Necron model refresh making use of the best of their current release line, but with new troops, a few brand new units here and there, and a new big centerpiece C'Tan Shard feels like it makes a lot of sense for a new edition's starring villains.